Deadpool Mega-whales

uberhamster
uberhamster Posts: 96 Match Maker
edited December 2015 in MPQ Character Discussion
Does mega whales kill everybody no matter how many covers you have? (If I only EVER use DP for mega whales do I lose out on anything by only having 3 covers in purple?)

Comments

• It does, fortunately.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    One caveat is that if you use it in a wave node, you only defeat the current enemies, not everyone waiting in the wings.
    There's no reason not to go for 5 purple though, it does quite nice team damage at max level, over 4000.
  • Wow! I am on day 493 and just used mega-whales for my first time. I was not aware until today that firing mega-whales equals instant win! Lol! How did I miss this all this time? I feel a bit stupid but at least I have tons of points accumulated.
  • uberhamster
    Quebbster wrote:
    One caveat is that if you use it in a wave node, you only defeat the current enemies, not everyone waiting in the wings.
    There's no reason not to go for 5 purple though, it does quite nice team damage at max level, over 4000.

I may be dense but I have no idea how to *not* fire mega whales when I have enough points. The "no" button isn't functional for me. So I only use it in dire circumstances like gauntlet nodes as a result. icon_e_sad.gif what am I missing?
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:

I may be dense but I have no idea how to *not* fire mega whales when I have enough points. The "no" button isn't functional for me. So I only use it in dire circumstances like gauntlet nodes as a result. icon_e_sad.gif what am I missing?
    HtzDonY.jpg?1

OK will drop 1 whale, PUSH ME! drops all whales and spends deadpool points
  • buffbeardo wrote:
    Wow! I am on day 493 and just used mega-whales for my first time. I was not aware until today that firing mega-whales equals instant win! Lol! How did I miss this all this time? I feel a bit stupid but at least I have tons of points accumulated.
    It's probably best that you just found out now. I play with Deadpool at least once a day to accumulate points, just so I can use it without having to worry about running out. It helps if I'm in a battle I know I have a low chance of succeeding, but make sure you get those purples earlier than later.
  • uberhamster
    fmftint wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:

HtzDonY.jpg?1

OK will drop 1 whale, PUSH ME! drops all whales and spends deadpool points

OHHHHH.

Thank you so much!! icon_e_smile.gif
  • Platzy
    Platzy Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Even knowing that, I always have to consciously force myself to look away from that big shiny purple button when I want to "only" drop a regular whale.
    I wonder how many accidental superwhales have been fired by people playing on autopilot... icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does mega whales kill everybody no matter how many covers you have? (If I only EVER use DP for mega whales do I lose out on anything by only having 3 covers in purple?)

Unless Elektra cast Shadow Step, it won't kill her, found that out one day.
  • Quebbster
    Phaserhawk wrote:

Unless Elektra cast Shadow Step, it won't kill her, found that out one day.
    Does it kill someone who is airborne from a Fastball Special?
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would guess it would not, since they are not on the board.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Then again, the game display doesn't look like it's coded to deal massive damage, it looks like it's just coded to create a victory condition. So it's not a given that they're first checking to see if one of the opponents is floating above the battlefield.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    simonsez wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Then again, the game display doesn't look like it's coded to deal massive damage, it looks like it's just coded to create a victory condition. So it's not a given that they're first checking to see if one of the opponents is floating above the battlefield.

I had points to spare (famous last words) so I tested this out.

I can confirm that wherever it is that the whales drop from, Colossus throws people higher. Colossus threw Doc Oc, I used mega-whales, Colossus died and Doc Oc didn't. Doc Oc also didn't land immediately, so your next match 3's or whatever won't actually do any damage. He did land the next turn when his counter expired.
  • Quebbster
    Probably an obvious-but-doesn't-seem-obvious-question: if you use Whales on a team with Phoenix (and her green power), will From the Ashes activate?

Apologies if I appear noob, just curious about this
    IceIX confirmed that if Phoenix and her teammates are all KOed, your team gets no more turns and thus Phoenix's countdown never resolves.
  • NickHewitt12
    NickHewitt12 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    What if you use Mega-Whales on a team with Phoenix, Colossus and an additional character, and the additional character is thrown? Would the Jean Grey CD still proc?
  • Quebbster
    What if you use Mega-Whales on a team with Phoenix, Colossus and an additional character, and the additional character is thrown? Would the Jean Grey CD still proc?
    I assume so. Bit of a corner case scenario though...
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    They ought to change this power using Whales to using Wolverines. It would fit into Deadpool's meta-fourth wall breaking humor quite nicely, and all the Wolverine characters in this game would be hilarious flopping around the screen at once.
  • Cypr3ss
    Cypr3ss Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Tatercat wrote:
    They ought to change this power using Whales to using Wolverines. It would fit into Deadpool's meta-fourth wall breaking humor quite nicely, and all the Wolverine characters in this game would be hilarious flopping around the screen at once.

This would be awesome to see!!! icon_e_biggrin.gif

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.
  • Tatercat wrote:
    Thing is, whales is kind of an inside joke. What do they call players that spend large amounts of money on the game? Whales. A common complaint about this practice is it is like paying to win. Therefore, whales is literally Deadpool breaking the 4th wall and asking if you want to pay to win the match. I'm sure someone out there could probably explain it more elegantly but there ya go.
  • Jack0fAllGames
    Jack0fAllGames Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Sain wrote:
    Tatercat wrote:
    Thing is, whales is kind of an inside joke. What do they call players that spend large amounts of money on the game? Whales. A common complaint about this practice is it is like paying to win. Therefore, whales is literally Deadpool breaking the 4th wall and asking if you want to pay to win the match. I'm sure someone out there could probably explain it more elegantly but there ya go.

It may also be a reference to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.