Choosing between lower tier 3*s

justplainchips
justplainchips Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
edited November 2015 in Roster and Level Help
I'm in the earlier stages of the 2* -> 3* transition. My recently updated roster is linked below.

I've got almost all of what I gather to be the "top tier" toons (everyone but Scarlet Witch)
I've got most of what seem to be the "middle tier", missing She-Hulk, Mystique, Daredevil?, Beast?, Falcon?...

...but it's fuzzy about which characters are mid and which characters are lower tier. icon_e_smile.gif

I have a bunch of covers in my queue and HP for 3 more slots (I'm essentially saving my 1* BW slot for 2* essentials I don't have)

A couple things I'm wondering:
Is a better toon with fewer covers preferrable over more covers on a lower character?
Or should I just save the HP for slots until I get one of the better 3*s or any occasional 4* from a token draw? And sell everything in my queue, maybe just trying to save one cover for the next DDQ they're required for.

Here are the covers I have queued (some expiring in ~4 days, and others in a couple weeks)

icon_mystique.pngblackflag.png
icon_psylocke.pngblueflag.pngblackflag.png
icon_squirrelgirl.pngpurpleflag.pnggreenflag.png
icon_vision.pngyellowflag.png
icon_sentry.pngyellowflag.pnggreenflag.png
icon_quicksilver.pngblueflag.pngblueflag.png

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mystique and Squirrel GIrl are clearly better than the rest of them which are all pretty meh. Mystique also has the advantage of being in LRs so has another reason to roster her.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    A couple things I'm wondering:
    Is a better toon with fewer covers preferrable over more covers on a lower character?
    Or should I just save the HP for slots until I get one of the better 3*s or any occasional 4* from a token draw? And sell everything in my queue, maybe just trying to save one cover for the next DDQ they're required for.
    depends on your goals. if you need help right now, a better covered character, even if lower tier, will generally provide more today. however, I try to do everything in the game with long-term in mind and unless you need roster depth help today, the higher tier character will eventually get those covers and when it does, is more useful from then on than the lower tier - completely generally speaking.
  • justplainchips
    TxMoose wrote:
    depends on your goals. if you need help right now, a better covered character, even if lower tier, will generally provide more today. however, I try to do everything in the game with long-term in mind and unless you need roster depth help today, the higher tier character will eventually get those covers and when it does, is more useful from then on than the lower tier - completely generally speaking.
    I *try* to do the same as you. I try to think with a more long term perspective. And that's where my conundrum starts:
    At first I was thinking, "okay, I don't need any of these chars. I'll just save them until their DDQ day, get the extra Taco and ISO and then sell them" meanwhile holding out hope that I draw a Scarlet Witch and maybe a She-Hulk. And maybe open the 1 Legendary token I have or spend the 50 CP I have for another 4* cover or char. But then I started wondering, maybe at this point I need 3*s more than anything else.

So (in your opinion) which is the better long term road:
    Keep building up to the full 3* roster?
    Keep only the upper half or three-quarters of a 3* roster by holding on to spot for Scarlet Witch and fill in the other spot or two with a possible 4* or 5*?
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    if you can afford the roster slots, keep all 3*s and 4*s. if you can't swing all the slots required for that (I'm up to 75 now), I'd keep all 4*s and decide which 3*s you can live without cutting from the bottom up. I would be very leery of opening LTs now because if you pull a 5*, it will affect things for you in pve for sure. I've heard that it also bumps you up in pvp into higher brackets too, but I was already there, so that was no different for me.

also, if you can't swing for all the slots needed for all 3* and 4* characters, I'd also stop opening tokens until I knew I had a slot available.
  • justplainchips
    TxMoose wrote:
    if you can afford the roster slots, keep all 3*s and 4*s. if you can't swing all the slots required for that (I'm up to 75 now), I'd keep all 4*s and decide which 3*s you can live without cutting from the bottom up. I would be very leery of opening LTs now because if you pull a 5*, it will affect things for you in pve for sure. I've heard that it also bumps you up in pvp into higher brackets too, but I was already there, so that was no different for me.

also, if you can't swing for all the slots needed for all 3* and 4* characters, I'd also stop opening tokens until I knew I had a slot available.
    Thanks.
    "Leery" is a good word for how I was feeling about opening Legendaries. icon_e_smile.gif

I had been saving up tokens for a while before recently having HP for a few slots. But if I get a lower tier 3* I always agonize over opening more hoping for someone better.
    And I must admit that it was a moment of weakness that "made" me open up a bunch of Heroics followed by Taco Tokens in the current Savory Vault to go fishing for 3* Deadpool on his DDQ day. I am happy to say I was successful but it took a *lot* of tokens and left me with my current queue conundrum.

Based upon what you said and stochasticism (and what I've read elsewhere) indicated I think I'm going to roster Mystique and Squirrel Girl (who could be dropped for someone else) and then rotate the others in for DDQ and wait/hope for SW or someone better in the future.

Thanks again for your help!