Common Forum Abbreviations

Comments

• gnorf wrote:
    BP - no idea what this means. Wish I could link you to the post where I saw it yesterday, but I read so many, and of course BP isn't a useful search string.

Black Panther
  • gnorf
    gnorf Posts: 9
    Thank you!
  • What is TL; DR?
  • shurak wrote:
    What is TL; DR?

Too long; didn't read.

Usually it functionally means "here's a brief summary of a long post" as I've seen it used here.
  • Did I miss Electra?

LDG LIVING DEAD GIRL
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    I see a lot of hamsters and whales. Whales seem to be people who spend a lot of money? No idea what's up with the hamsters, but the pictures are cute.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    I see a lot of hamsters and whales. Whales seem to be people who spend a lot of money? No idea what's up with the hamsters, but the pictures are cute.

I'm not sure on it, but in the Whale context, if they're not talking about Deadpool's whales (and the DP abbreviation is another story entirely...) it's likely referring to people who grind out their ISO & HP the old fashioned way, by running in the wheel forever.
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Of course! Hamster wheel. Genius, and probably exactly what that means.
  • Of course! Hamster wheel. Genius, and probably exactly what that means.

Actually, most of the hamster references go back to a joke about the servers being run by hamsters on wheels. Getting the hamsters back on the wheels usually refers to getting the servers working again.
  • Koorogi_859
    Koorogi_859 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Could someone explain the term "Loaner"? I see it a lot when there are discussions about team setups, but cannot make sense of it.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Could someone explain the term "Loaner"? I see it a lot when there are discussions about team setups, but cannot make sense of it.

It is when you are in a PVP or a PVE (event) and they give you a temporary character to use, one you may not have, or is featured.
  • So glad I found this!

I saw a few that aren't on here.

Professor X = PX
    Iron Fist = IF
    Rocket and Groot = R&G
    Kamala Khan = KK, Kamala
    Cyclops = cyc
  • dudethtsawesome
    dudethtsawesome Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    For the life of me, i can't seem to figure out what ui means. I've been seeing it pop up lately. Usually I can work it out but this one has me stumped.
  • j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    For the life of me, i can't seem to figure out what ui means. I've been seeing it pop up lately. Usually I can work it out but this one has me stumped.

I believe ui means user interface... or how the screen looks.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Should this be updated or unpinned? It's stuck up at the top, but the character listings are out of date, and it's missing a lot of lingo you'd see on Line (e.g., mercs, cupcaking, and so on).
  • lukewarm
    lukewarm Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    What does it mean if a line-up is softcapped?
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    lukewarm wrote:
    What does it mean if a line-up is softcapped?

That you've stopped leveling them at a point of your choosing rather than because it's not possible to level them any further (e.g., a fully covered 3* is hardcapped at 166). A good example is softcapping at 120, which is the last of the "cheap" levels for 3* before they get considerably more expensive.
  • jigawatt
    jigawatt Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    who is imhb?
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    jigawatt wrote:
    who is imhb?
    Iron Man (Hulkbuster), the 4* variant of Iron Man.
  • darcdante
    darcdante Posts: 11
    I saw TBE used in a thread. What does that refer to?

Also, what is a "slice" if somebody could explain it.