**** Professor X (Charles Xavier) ****

Comments

• vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    ShionSinX wrote:
    So you can make a lv170 550 PX for pve bombing only, even when he's essential. Interesting.
    Dang it! Now I'm going to need to start working on a third PX.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Today I will level my ProfX to 4/1/3 with the Krakadoom cover. My question is, is he usable in this state? Would it be more usable If I spend a little and I buy one cover so he is a 4/1/4 ? (or maybe 4/2/3 but I think the first option is better).

I could spend this HP to buy the 5th cover of purple Jean Grey (to 5/2/3 or to 4/3/3) so it is a big dilemma... (But I really want to use ProfX).

What do you think?
    Thanks icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Polares
    Polares wrote:
    Today I will level my ProfX to 4/1/3 with the Krakadoom cover. My question is, is he usable in this state? Would it be more usable If I spend a little and I buy one cover so he is a 4/1/4 ? (or maybe 4/2/3 but I think the first option is better).

I could spend this HP to buy the 5th cover of purple Jean Grey (to 5/2/3 or to 4/3/3) so it is a big dilemma... (But I really want to use ProfX).

What do you think?
    Thanks icon_e_biggrin.gif

Yes, usable at 4/1/3 as a match-5 amplifier. 5th blue would serve you better than a 4th yellow. What level is he at?

Well he is now just at 130, but as soon as I get the blue cover I will level him to 170 range, more if I buy another cover.

My goal is build him 5/3/5 or maybe 4/4/5, I still dont know because I still have not played him, so I still dont know how often I will cast purple, or If I am just going to play him with Widow, IF or Scarlett.

If I play him 5/1/3 he NEEDS to be played with those I mentioned I guess.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Well he is now just at 130, but as soon as I get the blue cover I will level him to 170 range, more if I buy another cover.

My goal is build him 5/3/5 or maybe 4/4/5, I still dont know because I still have not played him, so I still dont know how often I will cast purple, or If I am just going to play him with Widow, IF or Scarlett.

If I play him 5/1/3 he NEEDS to be played with those I mentioned I guess.

Go with the 5th blue and soft cap at 170 for now, and run him with match-5 makers. You'll be glad you did!

Mine is 5/5/2 ... I intend to go 5/5/3 and level to 220 or so. Try for a balanced match-5 booster and crazy tile buffer.

Agreed. Mine was4/1/3 for awhile, I upgraded yellow to 4 first. 4 blue dmg wise isn't missing much, just the 2 AP.
  • Talahamut
    Talahamut Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    There's always the 4/5/4 balance build too. Lose 2 AP (and a small amt of dmg) on blue, but do maximum tile boosting and still create attack tiles with yellow so he can do damage if left invisible by himself. It's the master-of-none build that still works decently well in all cases.

But if you can afford to build two of him? Then yeah... 5xx and 355.
  • Polares
    Talahamut wrote:
    There's always the 4/5/4 balance build too. Lose 2 AP (and a small amt of dmg) on blue, but do maximum tile boosting and still create attack tiles with yellow so he can do damage if left invisible by himself. It's the master-of-none build that still works decently well in all cases.

But if you can afford to build two of him? Then yeah... 5xx and 355.

But in this 'master of none', 4/4/5 is probably better isn t it?

I still have not decided what to do, I fill like cheating playing ProfX just to match5 bombing icon_razz.gif
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    I recently had a pvp match which included Professor X as one of the opponents. As the last standing opponent, PX placed an invisibility tile in a bottom corner, as usual, and there no chance for me to be able to match it away. However, with 3* Thor on my side, I knew I only had to get enough green, and then bombs away....but not so fast my friends. Even though Call the Storm is an AOE ability, I was still required to have a target to even use the ability. Other characters on my team could use, and whiff with, their single target abilities, like Blade's Nightstalker, but Thor couldn't even use his area of effect ability, even though that's all that can hit PX when he goes all invis on you.

I eventually won, thanks in part to a random Doc Oc Manipulate to move the invis out of the corner. It was a very frustrating match, thinking I had the bases covered, only to find at a critical time, that what I was expecting to happen, certainly wasn't about to.

Is this an intended situation, or should Thor's Call the Storm been able to hit PX like I was expecting? Thanks!
  • Konman wrote:
    I recently had a pvp match which included Professor X as one of the opponents. As the last standing opponent, PX placed an invisibility tile in a bottom corner, as usual, and there no chance for me to be able to match it away. However, with 3* Thor on my side, I knew I only had to get enough green, and then bombs away....but not so fast my friends. Even though Call the Storm is an AOE ability, I was still required to have a target to even use the ability. Other characters on my team could use, and whiff with, their single target abilities, like Blade's Nightstalker, but Thor couldn't even use his area of effect ability, even though that's all that can hit PX when he goes all invis on you.

I eventually won, thanks in part to a random Doc Oc Manipulate to move the invis out of the corner. It was a very frustrating match, thinking I had the bases covered, only to find at a critical time, that what I was expecting to happen, certainly wasn't about to.

Is this an intended situation, or should Thor's Call the Storm been able to hit PX like I was expecting? Thanks!
    I never tried this in the past, but a fairly recent update made Lthor CtS a single target nuke for damage purposes with secondary damage on the others. This to enable DP/thing to jump on front and protect the big hit.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Prof X blue hits 79 at level 222 ... if he's is at 170 he will buff to 221. So 170 should be the answer.

This isn't true when PX is a featured character. Featured 4*s get a flat 90 level boost. This is making my 152 to go to 242, which isn't working well with GSBW.
    If you want to account for the red buff, then you should leave PX at 131. (I'd go for 130 just cause I have a thing for round numbers icon_e_biggrin.gif)

The advice still applies when PX has a weeklong buff, since that is an 80 level boost proportional to the character's level.
  • So I got super excited and blast-leveled my 5/3/5 to 270, only to later realize the blue AP generation was going completely to waste (with GSBW and SW). When SW is buffed its a dream team but otherwise it's tough to loop effectively.

My question is (sitting on a purple cover), should I just abandon the 5 blue and move towards 3/5/5 since we can't yet "de-level" characters?

My favorite PVE team for easier/goon nodes is Daken/Blade/Falcon cause I love building up all those ridiculous tiles so part of me wants to move PX in that direction also but haven't yet figured out what that team would look like.

Stupid devs making well designed characters, what ever happened to the good old days of "well OBV x/x/x is the best build, but he/she sucks so bad it won't really matter" (looking at you, Elektra"
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Professa D wrote:
    My question is (sitting on a purple cover), should I just abandon the 5 blue and move towards 3/5/5 since we can't yet "de-level" characters?
    Try using him with GSBW/Mystique and see if you like it. Personally, I'd probably keep him the way he is and just use him during the weeks SW/GSBW are buffed, but that's just me.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Don't forget that soon they may be implementing a new feature to make characters do more damage and thus tank for higher level characters.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just got my thirteenth cover for Professor X and started thinking about what the optimal build for him is. He's currently 5/4/4 as that's how the covers fell. I like the power upgrade of 5 purple and yellow, so I'll probably drop blue one level when I get the chance. Just not sure if I should aim for 4/5/4, 4/4/5 or even 3/5/5. Suggestions?
  • Quebbster
    OJSP wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    Just got my thirteenth cover for Professor X and started thinking about what the optimal build for him is. He's currently 5/4/4 as that's how the covers fell. I like the power upgrade of 5 purple and yellow, so I'll probably drop blue one level when I get the chance. Just not sure if I should aim for 4/5/4, 4/4/5 or even 3/5/5. Suggestions?

It depends on how you want to utilise him? paired with GSBW and Scarlet Witch, I heard it's better to have 5/5/0 icon_e_smile.gif .. joking aside, it seems the yellowflag.png actually hinders the possibility of making match-5 with GSBW's purpleflag.png sometimes..

reading through this thread, many people have put forward arguments for each possible builds..

mine is still 4/4/1 .. but i think i want him to be 5/5/3 for my teams.. perhaps have a second one with a different build when i'm in a position to do so sometimes next year icon_lol.gif

5/3/5 is the one that would make him a bit stronger offensively and more able to fight as the last man standing.. (or sitting..), especially if you bring 3 Team Ups..
    That's the thing, I'm not sure how I want to use him. icon_e_smile.gif I do like the "death of a thousand cuts" approach of a 3/5/5 build though...
  • Polares
    I thought of going 4/4/5 but after you 'taste' 5 in blue you can't go back to another build (the 4AP you get is basic for this build).

You have to options, 5/3/5 (5/5/3) or 3/5/5.

For the first one you will pair him with GSBW and possibly wanda, and once you get to 11 purple, you have won the macth (it is that good). It is a monster against goons, you destroy 300+ teams really fast. You need to have him underleveled, or 220 (you can't use him when he is boosted) or 170 to be able to use him always.

The other one you need to pair him with chars like psylocke, blade, beast or antman with very cheap powers, but he needs to tank as many colors as possibly (so it is not that perfect). Then you just need to get 7 purple and start macthing profx colors. This build seems fun, but ProfX is the 4 with less life, so AoE are extremely dangerous (like KK, JG or iceman are his nemesis).

As the game stands now ProfX is not that relevant as he was before, a lot of new 4s are very powerful, and I think his best build, the one that makes him special, is 5/3/5. He is very fast in this build, you can use him in PvE and to climb in PvP (but play the last match with a more powerful team).
  • Quebbster
    Polares wrote:
    I thought of going 4/4/5 but after you 'taste' 5 in blue you can't go back to another build (the 4AP you get is basic for this build).

You have to options, 5/3/5 (5/5/3) or 3/5/5.

For the first one you will pair him with GSBW and possibly wanda, and once you get to 11 purple, you have won the macth (it is that good). It is a monster against goons, you destroy 300+ teams really fast. You need to have him underleveled, or 220 (you can't use him when he is boosted) or 170 to be able to use him always.

The other one you need to pair him with chars like psylocke, blade, beast or antman with very cheap powers, but he needs to tank as many colors as possibly (so it is not that perfect). Then you just need to get 7 purple and start macthing profx colors. This build seems fun, but ProfX is the 4 with less life, so AoE are extremely dangerous (like KK, JG or iceman are his nemesis).

As the game stands now ProfX is not that relevant as he was before, a lot of new 4s are very powerful, and I think his best build, the one that makes him special, is 5/3/5. He is very fast in this build, you can use him in PvE and to climb in PvP (but play the last match with a more powerful team).
    My Prof is already level 229 - I do love the "max level" button. Still, he can be used when GSBW or Wanda are boosted and he's not. I do like team death stare too...
    I'll have to give some thought to how much I actually use his invisibility tile buffing I guess. Thanks for the advice!
  • Quebbster
    *looks at current 5/4/4 Professor X build*
    *looks at yellow cover at the end of the Gauntlet*
    So... 5/3/5 you say?
  • Polares
    Quebbster wrote:
    So... 5/3/5 you say?

Yeah for me best the build for ProfX is 5/3/5, there are some people that prefer him 5/5/0 (or 5/5/3) so the special tiles he generates doesnt interfere with blue bombing, but in my experience, using him for a while now, just once or twice I had had problems with his tiles when using GSBW, and most of the times I just needed to do a match-3 to move the tiles. Then some people preferred 3/5/5 to use him to strengthen special tiles, but after new 4 releases I don't think anybody still uses him for that (well I guess he can be a good duo with JG and her green, but there are stronger partners for her).

I think 5 in yellow is the best option for him for when you are not bluebombing OR something goes wrong and suddenly his partner in love dies ( sometimes board is bad, SW blue tile keeps getting destroyed, you can get enough purple and then GSBW dies and when she dies you are in a world of problems, in those instances 5 in yellow can save your life, go invisible, start casting SW powers and matching his colors and pray the other team doesnt have a good AoE). But purple was useful for his DDQ4 so I could understand people that go 5/5/3 and use another char to create the special tiles.

But I think we will all agree that the only useful scenario for ProfX now is blue boming, so you should decide with that in mind.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    So... 5/3/5 you say?
    Don't... it's a trap
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    With how quickly special tiles die, it is both an argument for and against 5 purple.

For me 5 yellow has been amazing and has won me games that 3 or 4 yellow would not. There are times not having that strike tile would have cost me, remember it does double dip, once for the attack tile, once for your match.

IMO 4 yellow is as low as you can go, and for blue, 4 is as low as you can go.

That then leaves you with
    5/4/4
    4/5/4
    4/4/5
    5/3/5

As long as you are running one of those you are doing fine.

Final opinion. Purple is for PvE or last man standing, in PvE 5 purple can be devastating, however in PvP you really only need as a, oh **** everyone's dead, in that case while 5 purple might win it faster, 3 is good enough.