How would people feel about a 5* Sentry?

Options
TheWerebison
TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
edited November 2015 in Speculation and Concepts
I'd like to see Robert Reynolds get some love. This is a man with fearsome power. You can feel how intimidating he is by the heroes' reaction when they have to fight him in Prodigal Sun. He can create massive devastation. He can kill gods. And he's mentally unstable, and will do the most heinous things if someone can convince him it's right.

I've heard he used to be an insanely powerful 3*, so I kinda figured, with the way they're making 5*s now, it seems it would be a good time for an OP character to be created and not nerfed.

Comments

• TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Realized there's a forum for this. Feel free to move, sorry.
  • UncleSmed
    Options
    I would feel like I'd just been told that I grew angry and, in my rage, had killed Padme.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nay, no more duplicates. Spend time making Hyperion instead.
  • Monged4life
    Options
    If we didn't already have him as a 3* I would say yes, he's a perfect fit.

However we do have him as a 3*, and I don't think he's a popular enough character to justify multiple versions when there are still SO many other characters that need introducing.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Or they could just fix his 3-star version.

Anyway, hopefully there is a 4 or 5 star Void coming. That's kind of an alternate version of the Sentry. I remember a dev mentioning that they had him planned already but he has never been released, like the Iron Patriot.
  • Marvelfamily
    Options
    Don't like the existing one... don't need a 5* copy...
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oh, definitely yes. The 5* power level would be definitely appropriate for Sentry - and Silver Surfer's stun immunity sets a good precedent, Sentry should be immune to stun too.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wouldn't mind, but I wouldn't be too excited about it either, because I never found Sentry that interesting as a character. Would rather see them give some of the mystic or cosmic characters that aren't in the game yet some love.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Personally speaking I think sentry is the most interesting and intriguing of all super powered people. He's essentially superman but with a few seriously crippling mental disorders (agoraphobia, schizophrenia, depression). Essentially the Sentry character is taking a realistic exploration of what an ordinary human being would have to deal with if suddenly given vast and incalculable power.

Fun Fact: I wrote a treatment for a sentry movie 4 years ago which was taken into consideration by Marvel Studios, as of yet they have not greenlit the treatment and approved it for scripting (I have it ready in any case) but the fact they have optioned it suggests that maybe there might be a sentry movie in the (insanely long) pipeline at Marvel.

I would definitely like to see Sentry done justice in MPQ
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Fun Fact: I wrote a treatment for a sentry movie 4 years ago which was taken into consideration by Marvel Studios, as of yet they have not greenlit the treatment and approved it for scripting (I have it ready in any case) but the fact they have optioned it suggests that maybe there might be a sentry movie in the (insanely long) pipeline at Marvel.

Gambit, that is amazing!!! I'd love to see it someday, and I wish you the best of luck in the project being realized.
    The best thing about adding to the Sentry to the Marvel Cinematic Universe would be that his backstory lends itself perfectly to the character just popping up oneday having been there all-along (which is a frequent worry about how Spidey's upcoming integration may be handled)

Anyone who's writing-off Sentry due to his time in the Dark Avengers only (a low-point for the character's stability, in both those comics and this game) would do well to read his origin in the Marvel Knights TPB "The Sentry" by Paul Jenkins. An early-2000s recommendation of that from a friend got me back into Marvel comics after a years-long absence.

A 4* or 5* Sentry (Classic) could absolutely have a place in this game someday, and would be a drastically different character than his very troubled 3* version.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Gambit, that is amazing!!! I'd love to see it someday, and I wish you the best of luck in the project being realized.
    The best thing about adding to the Sentry to the Marvel Cinematic Universe would be that his backstory lends itself perfectly to the character just popping up oneday having been there all-along (which is a frequent worry about how Spidey's upcoming integration may be handled)

Anyone who's writing-off Sentry due to his time in the Dark Avengers only (a low-point for the character's stability, in both those comics and this game) would do well to read his origin in the Marvel Knights TPB "The Sentry" by Paul Jenkins. An early-2000s recommendation of that from a friend got me back into Marvel comics after a years-long absence.

A 4* or 5* Sentry (Classic) could absolutely have a place in this game someday, and would be a drastically different character than his very troubled 3* version.

I don't cross my fingers much, movie studios buy up everything in sight just so nobody else can make it even if they don't intend to. I have a bit of history with Marvel Studios though so I'm hopeful and of all the possible comic book properties available Sentry is by far the most fascinating exploration in my opinion. I did try for the spidey gig but didn't get it and it went to a very good team who went a different direction than me. I'll look up the marvel knights comic, I always enjoy that series.