3*: to softcap all, or max a select few?

BlackBoltRocks
BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,158 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2015 in Roster and Level Help
So as you might have seen me mention (or by looking at my roster), I've softcapped my 3*, as well as 4* with at least 5 covers, at lv 111. Recently I was planning to raise all the 3* (except my 2/1/3 GSBW) and the eligible 4* to lv 120. However, I wonder if I would be better served by maxing a select 3* at the expense of all others, which are the widely-acknowledged best of the bunch.

I currently have 1.17 million Iso, and to level a 3* from lv111 to lv166 takes an average of 102k Iso. This means i can level up to 11 right now.

If I were to max, my confirmed choices would be:
icon_blackpanther.png
icon_blade.png
icon_cyclops.png
icon_doctordoom.png
icon_ironfist.png
icon_lukecage.png
icon_magneto.png
icon_captainamerica.png
icon_thor.png

You notice I haven't mentioned Kamala or Scarlet Witch, because they're at 4/3/4 and 3/3/4 respectively.

So!

Which would you guys recommend. A) Softcapping everyone at lv 120, including the following 4*: Xverine, Thorrina, Elektra, IW, Hulkbuster (Elektra and IW purely for the sake of uniformity), or B) levelling those 3* i listed up to 166? Should I wait for Kamala and Scarlet? Which other 3* would you recommend? Grocket, for example, has a strong claim.

Pros and cons are very welcome as well. One pro of maxing a select few 3* I can think of: PvP will likely be much easier to play. Currently if I'm in a good bracket, I can hit 800+ before a thousand people attack me. An obvious con: scaling in PvE will be affected. Whereas a blanket raise to 120 will keep scaling very much in check.

Gracias!

Comments

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    icon_ironfist.pngicon_lukecage.pngicon_cyclops.png
    Should be at the top of your list
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Basically depends on what you're playing.

For PvP: Max Cage, Fist, Cyclops and Thor when you get him to 3/5/5. That's basically enough.

For PvE: Add to the above Cap, Blade, Grocket, and Patch.

Panther, Doom, and Magneto aren't as essential to be maxed, 120 is probably plenty. Nor should you invest a ton of iso in your 4* yet.

The jump in scaling from 111 -> 166 shouldn't be noticeable. A little harder, but you're not gonna go from facing 200s to 350s overnight.

Edit: Oh, and stop wasting Iso on Elektra and IW. Uniformity shmuniformity. Resources in this game don't grow on trees, and their utility is minimal.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Option B, you won't regret maxing those that you have listed. Doom could wait if you want some spare iso leftover.

Don't waste any iso on your 4's, they aren't ready yet. I don't think any of those 3's are boosted this week, but you'll feel like a million bucks when you first play with them at 240.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    personally I might drop blade back, but all the rest are ones that I've chosen to max, and I don't have everyone maxed. truthfully I think I'm close to done with my 3*s though and I'm comfortable at the levels they are (other than maybe kk, gsbw and torch). if you maxed those and then work on that second tier - blade, doom, grocket, torch, hulk, patch, daken, deadpool, maybe marvel, maybe falcon. get those up to 120 and later 140. then you're done. you do that and spend a month or 2 hitting 1K and you'd be surprised how quickly your 4*s will all of the sudden become a priority over your 3*s.

pve scaling will be affected but you'll also have tools to deal with it.
  • Hm...

Would the advice to the OP still be the same if they didn't have top tier covers maxed?

Like, what if instead of icon_blade.pngicon_blackpanther.pngicon_cyclops.pngicon_ironfist.png they had icon_blackwidow.pngicon_caroldanvers.pngicon_falcon.pngicon_humantorch.png ?

Like that totally paints a different tale in what should be maxed or soft capped or whatnot, doesn't it?
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:
    Hm...

Would the advice to the OP still be the same if they didn't have top tier covers maxed?

Like, what if instead of icon_blade.pngicon_blackpanther.pngicon_cyclops.pngicon_ironfist.png they had icon_blackwidow.pngicon_caroldanvers.pngicon_falcon.pngicon_humantorch.png ?

Like that totally paints a different tale in what should be maxed or soft capped or whatnot, doesn't it?
    sure. from where I am in the game now I'd say for your option 'B', you could take those to 120 or even 140 but if you max mid-tier guys, your scaling will do the same as if you max top-tier guys and then the tools you have to deal with the scaling aren't nearly as effective as if you have the top tier. personally I don't like adding to my scaling with characters that don't efficiently help me deal with the scaling. that is why I'm pretty disappointed with the 5*s. I have 2 of them, one with 4 covers - and they're only good for seeds and trivials.

now, more specifically,

1 - falcon doesn't need levels to do what he does best (deal with goon cds).
    2 - gsbw is great with witch - can be paired with px, 2hawk, or even falcon for goons (love that team), but by herself, she is very slow and not high health. not a great stand-alone character. very good at making crits and piles of green if you can keep her in purple.
    3 - marvel actually becomes much more useful with levels because she tanks more and her best asset is taking damage and generating red/black. having her at 140 or whatever your top tier is at, can certainly help. however, you don't want to be using her red (unless playing 2blulls or something). her black is ok, but I like her best feeding others (cyke, torch, mags, cage, panther, steve).
    4 - torch is one that I look forward to maxing some day. he's at my 140 tier for now, but he can really deal some damage, especially when boosted and I put him right behind the top characters that BBR listed. I don't think torch would hurt you being at the high end of your levels, but he doesn't have tank health and is a half step under the top guys for damage dealing.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    Level up 11 characters if you can. I was in your spot a month or two ago. All characters of mine were at lvl 110 with tons of Iso back (800k or 900k I think). I got tired of the grind and like you couldn't compete in PvP. I leveled up 8 characters or so and have leveled up 2 more in the past month as I find it takes me approximately 2 weeks to level up a character from 110 to 166. The game is more enjoyable now I have found but make sure you level the right characters so that you can have several cohesive teams. Shouldn't be an issue for you with that much Iso. PvE is a little harder because you don't have as many characters to choose from at similar levels but not too tough of an issue I have found.

All those choices you listed are good but consider Deadpool and Switch too if you can. They are now my primary PvE and sometime PvP too. Cage is a must level as well. I have even leveled up characters who were not optimally covered knowing that I would have optimal covers within a month or two for them (Switch, BP, KK are all examples). I would focus on leveling the best characters vs. those you aren't as good but optimally covered for example.

I also recommend considering Hulk because Hulkbombing can be useful in certain PvE nodes and being a huge hp tank. He is less useful in PvP but you can hulkbomb a match there too if you need to.

My maxed 3* are: icon_blade.pngicon_blackpanther.pngicon_cyclops.pngicon_deadpool.pngicon_doctordoom.pngicon_hulk.pngicon_kamalakhan.pngicon_lukecage.pngicon_scarletwitch.pngicon_rocket.png

Next up for me to level are: icon_captainamerica.pngicon_thor.pngicon_ironfist.pngicon_loki.png