Newbie confused about my roster...

Options
Unknown
edited November 2015 in Roster and Level Help
Hi Guys,

I started playing a few days ago after getting bored of Puzzles and Dragons over the last year or two. I'm extremely overwhelmed about how to get started in this game and where to focus. I read the 1* to 3* guide but it looks to be almost a year old and things seem to change in games quickly.

I had some Googleplay cards so I bought some character packs as well... here's what I have from those + playing:

4*
Deadpool + 1 cover
Elektra, Iceman, Kingpin, Wolverine

3*
Beast, Doom, Psylocke, Gamora, Ironman, Ragnarok, Rocket & Groot, Squirrel, Hood, Punisher, Vision, Magneto, Daken, Blade, Spidey

2*
Hawkeye, Cap Marvel, Moonstone, Daken, Wolvie, Torch, Storm, Thor, Widow, Magneto, Ares, Bullseye, Steve Rogers,

Almost every character I have has no additional covers on it except Deadpool and a random spattering of 2*s and as such none are levelled up.

I guess my question is **** do I do lol.

Should I be playing story mode? PVP? Daily quests? How do I get covers for this massive roster? Is there a reasonably accessible team I should focus my time and efforts on that will allow me to farm better things? And if so how do I level that team up?

I've searched high and low for a general "getting started guide" and the 1-3 star guide is the closest, but as a new player I need a tad bit more handholding lol

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Comments

• drcassino
    drcassino Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Start with the prologue, and dip your toe into PVE events and Deadpool's Daily Quest (DDQ). You should be able to do 1-2 of the DDQ nodes every day even now, which will get you ISO to level up your characters, and the prologue will give you extra covers on your starting characters. Once you've played through the prologue, you'll need to start on PVE. Use what you win there to further build up your 2-3* roster, which will help you do better in DDQ, which will help you build up your 3* roster. Once you have a smattering of 3* characters at reasonable levels, try your hand at PVP. Do the SHIELD simulator first (you can even try that with a moderately leveled 2* roster, if you're so inclined), then the thematic, character-based PVPs that run every 2 1/2 days.
    Finally, don't spend any more money on cover tokens for the time being. If you're going to buy anything, buy roster slots for your characters. The game will give you more covers than you can use, in time, but roster slots are always in demand.
    Good luck!
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow, where to start? In my opinion the first thing you need to do is build up a roster to the point you can be finishing DDQ as many days as possible. That means building up your 1* team at least to the point you can start accumulating more 2* covers, and then getting enough 2* covers to do DDQ which will help you amass more 3*. What I would do is as follows:

Today, play through as much of the prologue as you can. Stop and collect the 2* covers when you get to them. I'd say get the HP as well, but maybe that's not an issue for you (but you'll still want to get it at some point).

Tomorrow & Wednesday, do a bunch of the lightning rounds. They should start at noon or 1PM eastern time, they are short events (just 1.5 hrs long), that go up every 2 hours. You don't need to worry about placing well at all, but this will give you some iso to work on leveling your guys, and hopefully some needed 2* covers from random drops.

Either Tuesday night or Wednesday morning join a bracket of the Starfall PvP that will be ending soon-ish. Get as many points as you can, and since you will certainly be in a "noob" bracket, you might eke out a 3* cover.

The "Story" tab is for PvE events. Feel free to jump in there at any point. There will be some really easy fights, but having a couple 4* already might cause some fights to be too hard without a more covered and leveled roster. PvE will likely be where you get the bulk of your covers in the early stages of the game since it will be hard to place well in PvP after you graduate from the noob brackets. You already have ragnarok, kingpin, and daken, so you've got all 3 essentials, which will put you a leg up on most other new players I imagine.

As far as what characters to focus on getting, I wouldn't worry about that too much right now. Experiment with different people and see what's fun for you. Your 3 and 4* will help a lot early on in prologue just because of their levels/health and match damage. If you have a good damaging power that will help as well. The guide is definitely out of date, but most of the team combinations and characters it suggests to focus on are still valid. In the end though, it's just a game and you should have fun playing it. So while I know you want to get up and running as quickly as possible, you should at least have some fun along the way. The one thing I will suggest though is to try and use teams that at least use up as many different colors as possible. That way none of your matches will go to waste.

Good luck and have fun!
  • rossmon
    rossmon Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I also came over from PAD, about 6 months ago. First I can say is stop opening tokens! For the first long while, most of what you spend hero points (magic stones) will be on roster slots (boxes). Play anything you can and start hoarding resources. And you need to find a mentor. It makes it much easier. Do you have all of those on your roster?

Also, BIG POINT!!! Don't level your characters whenever you can! you really want to do it pretty evenly. The game is really tough if you have 1 or 2 characters really high, and the rest at lower levels.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You're going to need hero points to buy roster slots to hold all those guys. There are some available as rewards for finishing prologue nodes. Grind on those till you have all of them. Others are available as progression rewards in events for hitting point thresholds. You can get some for placing high in events as well, or buy some if you still have some Play cards leftover. In the meantime, probably best to stop opening any but standard tokens until you're ready to add characters to your roster.

Join an alliance. Look in the Alliances forum for groups advertising casual play, meaning every day play is all you need to qualify. If you get in with a bunch of guys that place in the top 500 of events, you'll get a steady stream of hero points to continue expanding your roster.

Learn about DDQ (deadpool's daily quest). The rewards you can get from there every day are pretty fabulous for the amount of time they take. When you've upgraded some of the better 2* characters to high levels, you'll be able to start pulling in more covers for 3* characters you have on your roster.

PVE (story mode) is probably your best bet for extended play right now. Play the nodes you can beat and learn from the ones you can't.

PVP can be daunting to start off, but if you show up right when an event starts, you'll get some "seed" fights against very low level opponents that should be easy to win. You can earn 100-200 points in the event that way and pick up some easy rewards while getting your feet wet.

Come back in a couple of weeks when all those queued covers are ready to expire and we'll help you pick which ones to keep and which to dump. icon_e_smile.gif