3* transition spending question

Starsaber
Starsaber Posts: 206
edited December 2015 in Roster and Level Help
I have just over 400k ISO in the bank and a number of 3*s that are currently sitting at level 94. Should I level some of those heroes a bit more or just hold onto my Iso for now?

I still primarily use my 2*s, but I occasionally break out Dr. Doom, 3* Thor, or GSBW depending on my color coverage in a match.

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    It wouldn't hurt if you took them to 104 or so, but I wouldn't start leveling higher than that yet until you have a solid core group. you have a couple of solids there but none of the tip top characters close yet. keep filling out your depth and competing in pve, doing ddq every day, and you'll get there.
  • OK, I took everyone I could up to 104. Does anyone have any suggestions on teams I should take higher, or should I hold here while I get more covers on a few more 3*s? With the 2*s I have, it has been pretty easy to figure out team compositions, but there's more color variety in the 3* characters.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    I would definitely stick at 104 until you have a good core of the your better 3* fully covered. If I had to do it over myself I would have kept my 3*s at 104 until I could take at least 2 or 3 full teams of good 3*s to 120 while fully covered.

If you max level just a few 3* above the rest of your roster, your scaling will start punishing you because you won't have the rest of the team to keep up with just those few toons.
  • Hm.

Is there any reason why you want to level them to 104, specifically?

I mean, I like to have my highly-used 3*s at 95, just so I have them at the front of my roster while the less interesting/covered ones are at 94 behind the 2*s.

Wouldn't 104 (slightly) make scaling harder?
  • ninja-monkey-91
    ninja-monkey-91 Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    You can actually level them up to Lvl 108 and still keep your scaling in check.

A 3* boosted from 108 will go up to 150 same as a boosted lvl 94 2* so you'll still have everyone on a level playing field.

I would, however, not start putting iso into a 3* until you have around 10 covers and all 3 powers as that's where you'll get a better rounded, usable character to mix in with your 2's.
  • TxMoose
    at 104, 3*s have roughly the same match damage as 2*s, so you can arrange for tanking purposes. that is why 104 is a popular holding spot for 3* transitioners.
  • And now I'm back to the point where I'm scrounging for hero points to roster people before their timers run out. I also have a bunch of Iso to use for levelling, but that's a secondary consideration at the moment.

I have the following pending covers I need to decide what to do with:
    Silver Surfer redflag.png (6 days) - I'm a bit hesitant about him because of scaling concerns.
    4 star.png Cyclops redflag.png (9 days)

We also have Ghost Rider coming up and he's certain to be the required character for the following PVE.

I'm guessing it might be time to drop 1-2 2 star.png characters, but I'm still used to them being my primary team. I only need 150 HP for my next roster spot, so I should be able to get 1 spot before anyone expires.

Do you have any suggestions on that (or how much higher I should take my 3*s that I can still level)?

Thanks
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Starsaber wrote:
    And now I'm back to the point where I'm scrounging for hero points to roster people before their timers run out. I also have a bunch of Iso to use for levelling, but that's a secondary consideration at the moment.

I have the following pending covers I need to decide what to do with:
    Silver Surfer redflag.png (6 days) - I'm a bit hesitant about him because of scaling concerns.
    4 star.png Cyclops redflag.png (9 days)

We also have Ghost Rider coming up and he's certain to be the required character for the following PVE.

I'm guessing it might be time to drop 1-2 2 star.png characters, but I'm still used to them being my primary team. I only need 150 HP for my next roster spot, so I should be able to get 1 spot before anyone expires.

Do you have any suggestions on that (or how much higher I should take my 3*s that I can still level)?

Thanks
    Are you using all your two-stars? I believe the classic recommendation for a two-star lineup is Ares, Black Widow, Daken, Magneto, Storm and Thor. All the others are cuttable if needed. I also don't know how attached you are to your Devil Dinosaur - he seems to only be let out to play during the Anniversary week, and that's quite a way off now, so he might just take up an unnecessary roster spot. (You do get Devil covers as the day 365 daily reward, so if you haven't gotten that already you can still have a 1/1/1 Devil for next anniversary assuming you have scrounged the HP by then.)
  • I think I'm going to sell Surfer. I've heard horror stories about scaling, and that's from people further into the 3* transition than I am.

Meanwhile, I'm 75 HP away from another roster slot, so I should be able to get that before Cyclops expires. And I just noticed that my 3* Human Torch does more damage on all his powers than the 2* one does now (when not boosted at least), so I'll sell him if I manage to place high enough for Ghost Rider.

And I think I'll level everyone I can up to 114 over the next few days. That shouldn't cause any major changes in scaling.
  • madok
    Starsaber wrote:
    I think I'm going to sell Surfer. I've heard horror stories about scaling, and that's from people further into the 3* transition than I am.

I wouldn't roster a 5* until you have at least 3 good teams of max 3*s until they fix it. So sucks having to sell it but definitely a good move if you want to keep enjoying the game.
  • TxMoose
    that is so ridiculous that people are actually having to sell 5*s. condolences man - hopefully the enjoyment you get back from scaling will make up for the bad taste later if you make it to the 4 - 5* transition knowing you could be 1 or 2 more covers ahead of where you are. good luck.
  • mikepro
    mikepro Posts: 95 Match Maker
    What I ended up doing with my roster and my team was putting a few to the 140 mark if I can. The first ones I did myself was
    Khan
    Hulk
    Gamora.
    Those were the first 3 I got to 140 almost fully covered at 11-12 covers each. The once I got the last covers for them I upped them to 166 when I had the iso. Since then I've added 3* cap steve to the mix. I used that team till I got cap to join and take the blue for me now. It's a pretty good team with hulk feeding khan the green and the red and blue stealing a and destroying the other teams.

But I would take them to either 104 and leave them there till 10-11 covers then jump if possible to 127 till fully covered.

Now keep in mind I've only been playing for about 240 days straight now but I've got a pretty decent roster since I joined a t250 alliance.

My game name is same on here but my alliance is with marvelblackops. I gotta find out how to import my roster on here so it's easier to see.
  • madok
    mikepro wrote:
    I gotta find out how to import my roster on here so it's easier to see.

Head over to http://mpq.gamependium.com/ and create a free account and setup your roster there and then you can just add a link to your signature like in mine.
  • mikepro
    mikepro Posts: 95 Match Maker
    Now how to import my roster to here plus I need to finish posting everyone I have