Colognoisseur's Ranking of 4* Updated: 10/19

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why isn't Scarlet ready made to accelerate RHulk?
    sure, but do you really want to field a 2 color main pvp team? same with jean or x23, and ice adds blue, but fist/hb fills 5 colors and while rainbow isn't as important as some think, I'd rather cover more than 2 colors with my main pvp pair. witch can certainly be used to feed many different 4*s but her off ability is pretty weak (my opinion), much weaker than fist's and her main ability is then covered up, whereas fists main ability can still be used for damage or feeding the 4*s color that he won't use.
  • Dribbler
    Dribbler Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    Heh, my top 4*'s purely based on what covers I have gotten dropped:
    IW Lvl 250 3/5/4
    DD Lvl 188 2/2/5
    Wolv Xforce 229 4/3/4
    Elektra 168 2/3/3

icon_e_biggrin.gif Come at me bro!
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    Why isn't Scarlet ready made to accelerate RHulk?
    sure, but do you really want to field a 2 color main pvp team? same with jean or x23, and ice adds blue, but fist/hb fills 5 colors and while rainbow isn't as important as some think, I'd rather cover more than 2 colors with my main pvp pair. witch can certainly be used to feed many different 4*s but her off ability is pretty weak (my opinion), much weaker than fist's and her main ability is then covered up, whereas fists main ability can still be used for damage or feeding the 4*s color that he won't use.

Only an issue where the featured is also Purple/Green (Kamala for instance). For instance, in this PvP where Magneto is very strong on his own. Plus SW is more immune to bad boards since her purple generation comes via passive.

I'm not saying it's necessarily faster than Fistbuster, but I don't think it'd be terribly slow either.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not saying it's necessarily faster than Fistbuster, but I don't think it'd be terribly slow either.
    it could certainly work and I hope to find out soon as mine is tantalizingly close to usability at 4/3/3, but I just think hb is a better choice because they (fist/hb) can work with literally everyone. jean is consensus t3 in the game as well and if that is what you cover first, I think she can pair with most every characters quite well. my opinion is still that you'll get the most for your money when starting from scratch with hb.

this is all with the caveat that my only usable 4* is hb (who has served me well) but I've been playing against 4*s for a while now and can see how they play and most of my 4*s are 7-9 covers and I've been using them in pve which also gives me a flavor of what they are. I don't claim expertise but do have opinions. there is obviously some bias and truthfully, I think much advise on the forums is people telling others to do it like they did it because face it - we all think we make good decisions and some even think they know the most (and a select few of those are actually right). and i'll admit, some of that comes into play here because hb has permanently supplanted cage/Cyclops/panther as my partner for fist and has served me well. that said, it is absolutely not the only way to do it and other strategies could be just as (or even more) effective - I just don't know those and haven't seen those played out in my pvp play.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Been a while since Colog posted an update, so I have to ask: when I see you in PvP lately, you're running RHulk instead of JG. Does that mean you'd actually rate him higher than her??
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Been a while since Colog posted an update, so I have to ask: when I see you in PvP lately, you're running RHulk instead of JG. Does that mean you'd actually rate him higher than her??

Until Colog says why, I guess it is just that RH is probably faster. JG needs 22 AP to unleash the combo green+purple (or 20 AP for two purple), RH needs 11 green AP and 7 purple to get to 18 AP and do 7300+ and you steal all the green from the other team (so you hurt a lot any other JG, Iceman or RH). So I guess RH is probably faster for PvP. He has more life too.

My RH is still 0/2/2 so I am just guessing, but I think RH is better for PvP and JG is better for PvE. And for me he is top5.

Which is the other member IMHB or Cyclops? (It doesn't make much sense to be Iceman).

Then If he is not using Iceman also, I would also ask, why do you use RH before Iceman? Because I think Iceman is better than JG...
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Red Hulk is definitely scarier than Jean Grey in PvP.
  • With the 5* i only can say that im not using HB anymore i prefer JG Iceman or cyclope, soo maybe HB is not at top 5 anymore, he lloks like LThor before people star to play with the 4*
  • Polares
    Zozou2016 wrote:
    With the 5* i only can say that im not using HB anymore i prefer JG Iceman or cyclope, soo maybe HB is not at top 5 anymore, he lloks like LThor before people star to play with the 4*

I still think IMHB is one of the best 4s, very fast, with a lot of life and self-accelerated. Iceman is probably better, but I am not convinced JG is better than him. And he is still the best one of the bunch when you need to kill a 15k+ hitpoints enemy
  • I run a 2/5/5 lvl 250 RH in both PvE and PvP. He is LEGIT!

Finishes PvE nodes so unbelievably quick.

PvP is quicker too, and I've never gotten so many wins off people who try me. So fun!

SWitch is great for climbing and PvE.

Other 4* work fine with him for higher level defense in PvP.

He's changed this game for me. Easily top 5 IMO, and my personal #1!
  • VA5
    VA5 Posts: 66
    Good list, I've come to the conclusion Mr Fantastic is the worst 4 star (surplanting Starlord and Devil Dino)

I would put Jean Gray as #1 as she deals large group damage and has the extra utility of removing or adding special tiles. I'm leveling her up but the few times I played with herI i held her purple until I needed it to remove enemy tiles.

Also love her ability to break up deveastating 5 match cascades.

Has anyone else noticed instead of nursing charactures the developers are creating antagonist. JG neutralizes Prof X and Scarlet Witch combo and Iceman is a Hulkbuster-buster.
  • NickHewitt12
    NickHewitt12 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    IMHB is still a pretty great character, but he's definitely the LThor of the 4* tier. I used him for a while in the recent Cyclops PVP as my usual team is 4clops/JG, and in the world of the conditional super-nuke 4*s, he's just too slow without acceleration, and Fistbusting is way too fragile with the higher HP/aforementioned super-nukes being thrown around lately. He's definitely closing in on a severe tiering drop, but that may be delayed by people not understanding how great the new guys are.
  • Polares
    IMHB is still a pretty great character, but he's definitely the LThor of the 4* tier. I used him for a while in the recent Cyclops PVP as my usual team is 4clops/JG, and in the world of the conditional super-nuke 4*s, he's just too slow without acceleration, and Fistbusting is way too fragile with the higher HP/aforementioned super-nukes being thrown around lately. He's definitely closing in on a severe tiering drop, but that may be delayed by people not understanding how great the new guys are.

Too slow without acceleration? Blue is an accelerator for his red, but I guess you are talking about Overdrive. 11 AP is not that much, and with 9red+11black you really destroy the other team (two repulsor punchs or a big one). If we compare it to the other holy5, JG needs 10 and 12 with no acceleration at all, iceman needs 12 or 6+6, with acceleration for blue on the same level as IMHB, then RH it has acceleration but if you want to launch the super nuke you need 11+7, and then cyclops who needs 10 and 10, and yes if you first cast yellow it can be done with 15 AP, and he still has blue. So from the list, the only ones that can be faster are 4clops, and RH. So he is not slow at all AND his strike tiles are really great.

4clops it is probably the one that is going to replace him in the long run, because with a bit of luck he can be really fast AND he can accelerate himself or the other team members, so I guess the new super team for PvP is 4clops and iceman or RH, but I still think IMHB is great, and the best to kill chars with massive amount of life (the problem of 4clops is that to fire twice red he needs 40 AP !, and after the first one the board usually is depleted of special tiles so it is quite hard to get 10 special again).

So new top5:
    1- Iceman
    2- Cyclops
    3- RH
    4- JG
    5- IMHB

I have serious doubts about 3 position, but I guess speed is always paramount in this game...
  • VA5
    VA5 Posts: 66
    I recently leveled up my Thing primarily because of his yellow ability (and the fact I drew a lot of him from L Tokens). His yellow projects powerful weak and annoying charactures like Hood and Loki, even a weaker 4 like Prof X. Opposing players must either middle them down with maths or have special moves below the guarding 1300K threshold. Otherwise an attack will trigger the Thing to defend and place almost 2000 in shield tiles (if yellow ones are available).

This has finally made hood a viable player for me and not an easy one shot kill
  • NickHewitt12
    NickHewitt12 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Polares wrote:
    Too slow without acceleration? Blue is an accelerator for his red, but I guess you are talking about Overdrive. 11 AP is not that much, and with 9red+11black you really destroy the other team (two repulsor punchs or a big one). If we compare it to the other holy5, JG needs 10 and 12 with no acceleration at all, iceman needs 12 or 6+6, with acceleration for blue on the same level as IMHB, then RH it has acceleration but if you want to launch the super nuke you need 11+7, and then cyclops who needs 10 and 10, and yes if you first cast yellow it can be done with 15 AP, and he still has blue. So from the list, the only ones that can be faster are 4clops, and RH. So he is not slow at all AND his strike tiles are really great.

4clops it is probably the one that is going to replace him in the long run, because with a bit of luck he can be really fast AND he can accelerate himself or the other team members, so I guess the new super team for PvP is 4clops and iceman or RH, but I still think IMHB is great, and the best to kill chars with massive amount of life (the problem of 4clops is that to fire twice red he needs 40 AP !, and after the first one the board usually is depleted of special tiles so it is quite hard to get 10 special again).

So new top5:
    1- Iceman
    2- Cyclops
    3- RH
    4- JG
    5- IMHB

I have serious doubts about 3 position, but I guess speed is always paramount in this game...

Sorry, I should have specified outside acceleration, like IF or 3clops. Granted, Jean is slower but she also has range, and her passive lets you put one-sided rules on your opponent, which is always a plus.

My main comparison is 4clops, but remember - Iceman stuns for four turns for 6 or potentially does 6k+ x 3 for 12, and Rulk takes your opponent's hard work for himself while accelerating towards 7k damage x 3. HB gets around 7k~ for 11 with each match doing 700 more for each turn afterwards, which is no slouch, but compared to these new powers (which absolutely need to exist due to the 5* tier), it just doesn't feel the same anymore.
  • Dimh
    Dimh Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Follow up from my question last month. First off, thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up bringing icon_redhulk.png to 1/5/5 lvl 233 about two weeks ago. I have not regretted this at all, was probably one of the best decisions I have made in game. After some deals on Black Friday, and some lucky token drops, I also finished my 3/3/2 cyclops to 5/3/5, but am a little ISO starved at the moment (lvl 185). The pair of them are pretty incredible together, and have significantly increased my progression.

The first PVP event I had icon_redhulk.png was the final PVP of last season with Patch. This was the first time I hit 1000 without using a shield.

So, if you are in the same situation as I was, where you do not have all the right covers for the top 4* such as Jean Grey, Ice Man, and Hulkbuster, but did well in the Galactus event I can certainly say that you will be competitive with those two.
  • DudeBro
    DudeBro Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    simonsez wrote:

Pretty sure it's because Rulk has been boosted lately. Lv 350 Rulk > Lv 270 JG but Lv 270 JG > lv 270 Rulk
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    DudeBro wrote:
    Pretty sure it's because Rulk has been boosted lately.
    I don't think he was boosted last week...
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would agree that JG, IM, RH, IMHB and Cyc are top 5, with Deadpool, KingPin, Carnage, and Thing banging on the door when they are boosted. I think Cho Hulk wont' quite crack top 5, but will be asking to get in. I also see Ghost Rider a great pick when boosted for that black. Still no sure about X-23 but all those listed are easily top 12.

Of the top 5, I still think IMHB is top 3, why? Because he, much like IM, and Cyc he can 1 shot people, where as JG, RH cannot. For that reason alone, he will stay in top 3. For me it would be Iceman #1, then Cyc or IMHB with whomever is boosted. JG and RH while amazing can't take down 1 person. If I'm attacking in PvP, JG is my weakening gal, and IMHB finishes people off. That's wher Iceman is amazing, not only can he weaken with green, but finish off with blue

My thoughts
    1. Iceman
    2&3)IMHB Cyc
    4&5)RH and JG
    6-10)KP, Carnage, Deadpool and Thing
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I also see Ghost Rider a great pick when boosted for that black.
    GR black will do the same damage @70 as 350 since it's based off of damage the enemy has done