***** Jean Grey (Phoenix) *****

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Huatimus wrote:
    If she revives during combat, does she:
    A) retain what ever remaining health at the end of the fight or
    B) becomes downed and requires health pack to heal?

Very interesting question.

Also, what happens if she dies and places a 2-turn countdown, and when she died she was the only member remaining alive in the team. Do you loose the match or does the AI play one turn and then you come back? Basically, what happens if she is the last member of the team when she dies for the first time?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Huatimus wrote:

Very interesting question.

Also, what happens if she dies and places a 2-turn countdown, and when she died she was the only member remaining alive in the team. Do you loose the match or does the AI play one turn and then you come back? Basically, what happens if she is the last member of the team when she dies for the first time?
    IceIX clarified in another thread that if she is the last to fall the game ends without the countdown resolving.
  • Howzat
    Howzat Posts: 31
    Huatimus wrote:
    From the clip in the community video she revived with a red health bar so I believe its the equivalent of a true heal (green representing temp/match healing).
    IceIX wrote:
    and there's a Red tile to place the CD on, she's coming back.
    So another method to negate the revive is ensure there are no red tiles ( icon_iceman.png ) when she is downed. Not really all that eternal is she.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    What if you clog the tiles ala Daken bacon?
  • jdoe893
    jdoe893 Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Phoenix is kinda broken

Why not start match w your whole team practically dead? Phoenix green 2nd phase happens after she dies. Her 2nd phase green is 9ap for 16k aoe & 5k teammate damage. That 16k aoe is basically enough to kill anyone that isn't 5*

So you can have max Phoenix bagman & yelena as your team. You can keep bagman & yelena at base level so they can revive quickly. Have Phoenix die quick so keep her health low by retreating before matches. Once she dies in match, it's 9 green til the other team is dead. Also you can be collecting while you're trying to kill Phoenix. There's no reason one couldn't keep repeating this nonstop (other than battling anyone that has a 5* cause then Phoenix green 2nd phase won't insta-kill them)
    thats a scary truth..but that maybe something to be worried for another one year icon_lol.gif
  • could be scary powerful. I'd actually like to see something in place meaning that you could only use 5* characters against rosters of a certain level. Would this work? May stop the game from imploding once some of these get well covered.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    notamutant wrote:
    Tricky to decide, but I think 5/4/4. The drawback on the red at 5 covers is so much worse than the additional strike tile, and no regular damage increase. So I can't see red at 5 over 4. The extra damage at 4 is worth it over 3 covers though. You don't want that many special tiles out, so 5 over 4 in purple isn't that useful either, and as an active only gets one more tile conversion. Also a very situational skill. You both need to make a match 5 and to have special tiles out that won't get destroyed from a match 5. Even though the green on attack doesn't scale by covers, the passive part requires 5 covers to work properly. So I am saying best build is 5/4/4 for now until I have a chance to test her.

I think PvE 4/5/4 is the best build. For PvP 5 green is a must, and agreed that 4 red is enough the negative of the enemy outweighs the positive of your one extra strike tile and since they don't stay around too long I agree that a 5/4/4 is probably the strongest PvP build and I don't think you need a test.

IMO

Red--4 is all you need, max damage with 3 tiles vs. 4 but the enemy is limited and with purple cranking out red you should be fine.
    Green--PvE you can go as low as level 3 but in PvP this must be 5, done no question
    Purple--Ugh, it changes basics which makes me want this 5, but 4 is good enough
  • emaker27
    emaker27 Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    First impression is she seems like a weak defensive character. You would want to save her for last which effectively removes 1 of her powers.

For offense, it appears to be counter intuitive to have a character get better after they die. It makes sense to never use a health pack on her so she can unleash her nuke faster.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    Huatimus wrote:
    A. If she comes back with 5K health, she's got 5K at the end of the battle. It's considered a True Heal for purposes of health restoration.
  • 5am
    5am Posts: 3
    IceIX wrote:
    Huatimus wrote:
    A. If she comes back with 5K health, she's got 5K at the end of the battle. It's considered a True Heal for purposes of health restoration.

So even if she dies and crushes the other team with the Phoenix Force for 9 green, she'll be alive for the next match, with pre-reduced health for our easy abuse? She's a 5 star, but still, this seems a little excessive.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think there's something wrong with the description of her red. As it is, at max level, going from 4 to 5 covers only improves the enemy attack tiles! Why would anyone do that? EDIT. NVM, she also gets one more strike tile... which is not great, since increases the chances of triggering the enemy attack tiles. She seems like a clear 5/4/4 to me.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    emaker27 wrote:
    First impression is she seems like a weak defensive character. You would want to save her for last which effectively removes 1 of her powers.

For offense, it appears to be counter intuitive to have a character get better after they die. It makes sense to never use a health pack on her so she can unleash her nuke faster.

Save a 5* for last? You better have a hell of a lot of hp then, because her match damage alone makes that feel like a bad idea.
    Unless like you can manage a perma-stun.
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    16k to the enemy team seems incredibly ridiculous, like carnage on super duper space steroids, granted she kind of has to die first to get that power. Still....damn, that's enough to kill everyone but rulk, Kingpin and Hulkbuster(+ the other 5*'s)
  • moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    No more full team stun with green at 5...

actually, if it's 1 turn countdown, is it 1 turn when she dies (ie. when enemies kill her) and thus revives instantly on your own turn?
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    moogles85 wrote:

actually, if it's 1 turn countdown, is it 1 turn when she dies (ie. when enemies kill her) and thus revives instantly on your own turn?

Yes
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    moogles85 wrote:

Yes

But if they killed her with a power, they still have the chance of matching the tile or destroy it with another power. If they kill Phoenix with a match on the other hand then she will be back instantly.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    This is a very tough character to judge on paper.

Her purple passive is incredible but inherently unreliable. Especially since the 3* tier crit generators will eventually be obsolete in any form of competitive play.

Her Red is mediocre if fired without any special tile synergy. You've gotta remember that 5* tier is comprised of true healers with ~45000 health. Dealing 8849 damage is like using Psylocke's red in 3* tier.

Her green damage is clearly amazing but does anyone really want to build a strategy around having a character die and protect the CD tile?

Phoenix has the potential to make some strong character combos but as is I would rank her as the weakest in 5* land. Surfer does no damage but at least he fuels AP for other teams to spend.

Note: As always I look at these characters in terms of their tier of play. Comparing 5*'s against 4*'s or 3*'s is pointless because all you need is match damage to win.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Question for Ice or any other dev who happens to be hanging around: Since Jean as Phoenix and All-New Jean are different people in the comics, can they be on the same team (or fight each other in story modes)?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Question for Ice or any other dev who happens to be hanging around: Since Jean as Phoenix and All-New Jean are different people in the comics, can they be on the same team (or fight each other in story modes)?
    IceIX already said they cannot be played together as adult Jean is too busy being dead to team up with Teen Jean.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo*breath*oooooooooooooooooooooooo

Non-OML Wolverines are too busy being dead to team up with the yellow-suited X-23, but that's not stopping them.