reward points at events. Rules?

Options
Unknown
edited January 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
Hi there!
I'm playing an event right now, but I'm confused about how the reward point are calculated on every mission.

The first time I play a mission, the reward is, let's say, 150 points. Second time, about 120. Third time, 1 point.

1 point?

Can someone explain what are the rules here?

Thank you.

Comments

• aussiemac
    aussiemac Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Rule #1: No one has any idea how scoring on PvE works
    Rule #2: Act like you know the secret

In all seriousness, it seems that the points reset every 8 hours. Once you play a match, the points are reduced. You should be able to play every event at least twice, but I think even 3-4 times if time allows. The closer you get to the end of the event or submission, the more valuable the points tend to be. Also, there is what people call 'rubberbanding'. This refers to the points you get for each mission are impacted by your overall performance in the event. The higher your overall score, the fewer points you get for events. It's to give all players a chance. That being said, it seems that these rules get tweaked every PvE event. So what worked last time isn't guaranteed to be a formula for success. For example, this time, when you win a match, the next one gets more difficult. On top of that, the 2 most favored characters (Thor/Wolvie) got nerfed mid-event this time which created a large challenge since the event was increasing in difficultly AND people lost firepower.
  • aussiemac wrote:
    The closer you get to the end of the event or submission, the more valuable the points tend to be.

Errr...
    The only thing that I could ask for change is this.
    That's why in the last minutes, I lost many positions.

This way, people that can't play at event's final time are penalized. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Yoshimit wrote:
    aussiemac wrote:
    The closer you get to the end of the event or submission, the more valuable the points tend to be.

Errr...
    The only thing that I could ask for change is this.
    That's why in the last minutes, I lost many positions.

This way, people that can't play at event's final time are penalized. icon_e_sad.gif

Welcome to Puzzle Quest. You´ll fit right in.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PvE scoring changes almost every single event. They're still experimenting with systems and trying to find one that stays competitive at high levels without locking out newbies.

Frankly, I'm not sure competitive PvE isn't a broken concept in the first place. I think that's why every system they've tried has at least some flaws. You end up having to learn the rules and quirks of scoring and timing, instead of just playing a series of increasingly challenging levels.
  • In most events, there's a main and a bunch of submissions. Your main score is the sum of the points from the main event and the sub events. In the sub events, points are set for each mission. You get approximately 50% for the second time you complete and 1 point after that (in previous PvE's it was 4 tries). The points will reset to full 8 hours after you complete the mission.

Then on top of that, there's a multiplier (though this time it seems to be minimal or non-existent) based on your performance in the main. If you're way behind in the main, you may have a large multiplier (in some previous PvE events, I think it was up to 5x) on all points in both the sub and the main. That's why waiting 'til the end seems to increase points - everyone else that's been playing has moved up in the main and reduced their multiplier. (This multiplier is what is referred to by "rubberbanding.")

One thing I didn't think about until recently, even knowing all this:
    People all join a sub event bracket at the same time. So if you join right away, you and everyone in your bracket will have 4 chances to clean out all the points (A day and 2 hours @ 8 hours per cycle). If you join a few hours later you will be competing against people who have 3 chances to clean out all the points. If you join with less than 16 hours, you will be competing against people who have 2 chances and if you join within the last 8 hours, you'll compete against people who only have 1 chance. So the worst thing you can do for your subevent performance is to join and not play. You'll put yourself in a bracket that requires lots of points to win while you're not getting any points.