Patch or Punisher??

Options
aussiemac
aussiemac Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
edited January 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
I'm finally starting to collect a handful of covers for Patch and Punisher. So now I'm left with a decision to make as to who I prioritize. In the past, I've ran with Storm**(50), Wolvie**(55), and OBW**(50). I also have an Ares**(60) and working on Magneto***(38). If I had more Loki, I only have 2 covers, I'd be inclined to build Patch. So, I'm thinking Punisher for now, but curious to get opinions of others and best build advice.

On a side note, my OBW only has 2 black covers.... how in the world can I get the rest??? I'm holding out for 5 blacks, but I don't see any coming my way.

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd go with Punisher. All 3 of punisher's skills are good on their own and don't require a very specific team set up in order to exploit (unlike patch, who you basically have to build your team around). In terms of build, 5 green is a must, so it's between 3/5/5 or 5/5/3. 5/5/3 lets you eek out more damage with the countdown tiles overall (but isn't too noticeable during fast matches), whereas 3/5/5 will save you 1-2 turns during high level pve or buffed pvp events (which can mean the difference between life and death). I would say either one is fine. You cant really do anything about OBW black covers except wait and hope they offer them as tournament rewards or have tokens that have them.
  • I would say punisher but with 5/3/5 build and keeping wolverine for green (and later patch) => The problem with punisher green, is the destruction, the longer you play the more chance to destroy your own tiles, so keeping the green for strike tile generating member is still a good strat for me.

With 2* wolvie, it is really a good wait then destroy team : you keep the red for the 40%, and build strike tile with the green, the black gives you regular damage (7AP), the third could be someone for blue or purple damage dealing or AP stealing/protection. (classic storms blue for instance).

If you want more damage : Thor can still work (yellow + feeds green), Ares but his health will go down.
  • You can try your luck with the pve token for obw black or wait for other events to offer her as a progression reward.

I would suggest going with punisher. 3/5/5

His red is uber at 8 ap. 40% instant kill is a bit too good.

his green is very good to make a opening when there is no good move and create strike tiles, one of his strike tile has the strength of 2 of wolverine 2*s. The strike tiles can be placed on any color randomly.

His black is annoying for enemy obw. And if u spam 3 at once, it's very powerful too. The drawback is red tile only, so if enemy has daken, it's harder to create the countdown tile.

On the other hand,

If you want to play patch, I would go 3/5/5.

His red is the best there is. The most damaging skill in the game so far, can do more damage than mags purple. (9123 is my max hit)

His green is quite counterproductive at high level, not only you usually won't have 6 green spare tiles, you also create 6 on purple that is hard to get rid off too. 3 strike tile on the other hand is safer in my opinion. I don't think Loki help much because his black is high cost and he only gives you some protection for maybe 5 rounds. I'd rather use that amount to do some damage.

His yellow is probably the best skill for defence, it's way overhealing in my opinion.

So, I would go with punisher first. If I need tank for pve,i will use patch.
  • Punisher turned to be a really good and versatile character and just got even better with cheap abilities gone from others.

Patch needs proper support team to work right and probably sophisticated play too or you screw yourself badly.