*** The Hood (Classic) ***

Comments

• Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Yeah, his outfit is kind of plain.
  • I think the Hood's cover is one of the best looking (I also love axm-wolverine's with all the swords in him)
  • Level 5 yellow should have him use a rpg launcher that destroys a 5x5 block of tiles.

Am I doing this right?
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    That would be edging into Punisher territory, The Hood is a street boss, strictly small arms.
  • Jokes aside, his yellow could be anywhere from 12-14 AMD it would be a nice buff. Hp shouldn't go up. His black though needs to do more damage or do area damage or something. The countdown dropping could also be increased beyond 1 and it might have a point to it (or heck..make it drop by 2 and instantly activate if the tile is at 2 or less). Now that would be a decent black.
  • Spencer75
    Spencer75 Posts: 232
    My absolute favorite character, once properly leveled he's a nightmare
  • his blue is very annoying ^^
    better than daken IMO
  • In my opinion 5/5/3 is best build. As already mentioned how often do you have more than 3 countdown tiles. Also going 5/5/3 is a way better battery build.

I am personally just waiting for the 4* wolverine revamp then combine him with IM40 and The Hood. Turning IM40's yellow battery ability in to a 1 turn countdown and giving a 4* wolverine all the red and green he could possibly need.

I do wish he had a little more HP. I mean if you compare him to other utility battery characters like for example OBW his hit points are really lacking.
  • Rorex wrote:
    In my opinion 5/5/3 is best build. As already mentioned how often do you have more than 3 countdown tiles. Also going 5/5/3 is a way better battery build.

I am personally just waiting for the 4* wolverine revamp then combine him with IM40 and The Hood. Turning IM40's yellow battery ability in to a 1 turn countdown and giving a 4* wolverine all the red and green he could possibly need.

I do wish he had a little more HP. I mean if you compare him to other utility battery characters like for example OBW his hit points are really lacking.

It is the best build in my opinion

Keep leveling him, he gets really scary, mine is at lvl 132 and over 4000 hit points
  • Yep, I have a 5/5/3 build. I actually don't think I'll use my black at all, since I can't think of a character I use right now that has countdown tiles. Stealing AP of all colors however, is very useful in shutting down the opponent, especially since you can't cascade and burst down people anymore.
  • Intimidation is his best dps source and has a hidden modifier that increases damage on level upgrades. So 5 black isn't totally useless, but you shouldn't be trying to dps with The Hood anyways.
  • Spencer75 wrote:
    Rorex wrote:
    In my opinion 5/5/3 is best build. As already mentioned how often do you have more than 3 countdown tiles. Also going 5/5/3 is a way better battery build.

It is the best build in my opinion

Keep leveling him, he gets really scary, mine is at lvl 132 and over 4000 hit points

I guess my point is he has the lowest hp of any three star that can be trained up to lvl 141. Loki's is lower but only because he maxes out at lvl 115. And despite the low hp he has no way to mitigate damage. Anyone fimiliar with him in the comics would think he would have some way to aviod damage. I mean one of the main powers the cloak gives him is invisibility. If I were designing the character I would have made the black ability a passive in which after taking a certian % damage he become invisible preventing further damage that turn. You could still one shot him but at least your not always worried that some variety of decent attacks followed by a cascade is going to down him. Quite litterally Modern Hawkeye's aviod ability could have or should have been The Hood's black ability. It makes way more sense. So many black tiles on the board and he shifts into the darkness becoming invisible forcing you to attack someone else, AOE still works but basically untargetable. I mean Intimidation really has nothing to do with the comic book character that is The Hood. Other than perhaps that he can be consider a crime boss.

Also the yellow skill should have some damage of its own that is scalable. Other than intimidation which I would scrap as mentioned above he has no skills that scale. I totally get that he is a utility character but there should be more reason to level him other then HP and match damage.

Just my opinion. He is one of my favorites as I love the blue skill and even the yellow has value in board control and AP generation. If the programmers really want to see him in use give him some way of mitigating damage otherwise he doesn't get used much till he has 3 or 4k hp.
  • Hood is hard enough to kill while being targetable, I'd hate to imagine what he'd be like with Avoid.
  • Good lord, a 5 blue Hood with Avoid? I couldn't hit Skip fast enough.
  • I think you guys are missing the point. The point is simply that The Hoods main power in the dark reign comics (at least IMO) doesn't even factor into the character for the game. Seems unusual. Like Spiderman without webs, or Thor without his hammer sure they have other superpowers but that essentially their main power. The two main things anyone is going to take from the cover for the Hood is the guns which were included in his abilities and the hood itself which is kind of ignored.

I am not sure how anyone fiqures hes hard to kill. You simply prevent 9 tiles of what ever color your collecting from being on the board and he done for. Personally I find OBW much harder to kill what with the heal, steal and purple, black & blue syphoning every time a match is made. OBW is a two star and should for all intents and purposes be easier to kill, yet has more hp/level and a heal. I mean take an objective look at the three in game batteries available: IM40, OBW, The Hood. Both IM40 and OBW are way harder to kill. IM40 with the third most HP in the game for a 3 star and OBW with the heal.

Now perhaps an avoid is a bit overpowered but some sort of damage mitigation seems reasonable. Hell build it into intimidation something to the effect that when he can't intimidate his team to work faster (their are no freindly countdown tiles) he instead intimidates his enemies so he creates a protection tile instead.

I mean honestly home many charecters have countdowns. What five? Mag (marvel now), Punisher, Hawkeye (modern), IM40, and Captian America. So unless you want to team him with a 2 star (not very end game) your choices are IM40 or Punisher. IM40 is also a battery and Punishers countdown is the molitov not excatly a power move to speed either of those up.
  • Rorex wrote:
    I am not sure how anyone fiqures hes hard to kill. You simply prevent 9 tiles of what ever color your collecting from being on the board and he done for.
    Did you play the Thick as Thieves event? I tried like hell to prevent him from stealing red and blue to feed Magneto. Maybe I'm really sucky at preventing 9 tiles from coming up on the board but it was not easy. And when you can't gather enough AP to trigger any power, suddenly Hood's 4k hp looks a lot more daunting.

I mean, I get that you want his powers to reflect his comic book character. I'm down with that. Intimidation does seem pretty lame; I'd be on board with something like:

Cloak of Shadows - 12 black AP
    Parker activates the Hood, becoming temporarily invisible. Places a 2-turn countdown tile; while this tile is on the board, The Hood cannot be targeted by enemy attacks. When the tile is activated, The Hood appears behind the enemy team for a sneak attack, doing (some small amount of) damage.

L2: +25% damage.
    L3: Countdown increased to 3 turns.
    L4: +25% damage (max damage equal to Intimidation)
    L5: Countdown increased to 4 turns.
  • The Cloak of Shadows idea looks good. Any sort of damage mitagation would be acceptable if it seems at least somewhat relevant to the character. Its really about how the Hood acts in the comics. Take when he first gets the hood and boots for example. He comes across a couple of thugs, what does he do? Does he stand his ground and fight? No he runs, finds out the boots let him walk on air and gets away. My point being he is very much a hit and run fighter. Also that the majority of his powers are related to stealth and avoidance. He is more an assasain not the King Pin they have him made out to be.

To be honest I didn't have trouble beating The Hood in thick as thieves and also as a note your were likely fighting a level 230 The Hood which is like fighting him with a 50% buff at max level. I am pretty sure I just stun locked him with Spidey. Obviously thats kind of a bad example of how easy his to beat as that ability is overpowered and undoubtably going to be changed in the near future. But essentially any decent stun or good board control is going to be the end of him. I mean even getting off MBW stun (the five turn) or Classic Storms (4 turn) will likely kill him.
  • Rorex wrote:
    The Cloak of Shadows idea looks good. Any sort of damage mitagation would be acceptable if it seems at least somewhat relevant to the character. Its really about how the Hood acts in the comics. Take when he first gets the hood and boots for example. He comes across a couple of thugs, what does he do? Does he stand his ground and fight? No he runs, finds out the boots let him walk on air and gets away. My point being he is very much a hit and run fighter. Also that the majority of his powers are related to stealth and avoidance. He is more an assasain not the King Pin they have him made out to be.

To be honest I didn't have trouble beating The Hood in thick as thieves and also as a note your were likely fighting a level 230 The Hood which is like fighting him with a 50% buff at max level. I am pretty sure I just stun locked him with Spidey. Obviously thats kind of a bad example of how easy his to beat as that ability is overpowered and undoubtably going to be changed in the near future. But essentially any decent stun or good board control is going to be the end of him. I mean even getting off MBW stun (the five turn) or Classic Storms (4 turn) will likely kill him.

When fighting Hood, right away you're forced to focus heavily on one color in order to gain any ground. If you get unlucky and that color starts getting split, you will eventually lose all of it and focus another color. Meanwhile, every incidental AP you gain from 4-matches is stolen. The only character I've ever found more dangerous on defense was Ragnarok, pre-nerf. And I do think this method of defense gives him an "elusive" quality in line with the comics.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Damn you guys
    I don't have nearly enough ISO as it is, and this thread makes me want to max my hood
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hood does change the way your opponent is forced to play against him, but I'm not sure if that is a strong enough deterrent for his abysmal hp.