Roster progression from 2* to 3* (need suggestions)

AsgardOdino87
AsgardOdino87 Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
edited October 2015 in Roster and Level Help
I have 65 roster spot, all 40 3* and all 14 2* (yes, SpiderBag too icon_lol.gif ), iron man 1* and the rest are 4 stars.
Only my 2* are at max level with the right covers (not SpiderBag) I'm trying to level all my 3* to level 95 (with right covers) and the 4* to level 96.
Then the next step will be to level 3* to max level 166.

It's a good progression or should I level 3 3* to level 166 first and then level the others?

For PVE and PVP scaling it's better the first choice?

Thanks for your advice icon_cool.gif

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    unless you have some decently covered 4* abilities, forget about putting iso into them for now. (side note: if you have any with 6-8 covers in decent abilities, and depending on the opponent, leveling them for their 4* ddq day could help get you a legendary token - i would not take them much higher than the top of my roster though)

if you want to rock pvp, level some key, top tier guys to 166

if you want to keep pve scaling in check, I'd level all your 3*s to 94, then take some key guys to 104, then 120. then fill out at 120. then key guys to 140, etc. those are the tiers i used:

94 - just same level as your maxed 2*s
    104 - this gets the 3*s approximately the same match strength as your 2*s
    120 - relatively cheap in iso to level to here
    140 - boosts to 200 when weekly boosted.

those are the tiers i used and still have 3*s at 104/120/140 levels.
  • AsgardOdino87
    Thanks for the advice icon_e_smile.gif

PvP as best rewards but I don't wanna spend HP on shielding icon_e_confused.gif
    Without shield 100th cover reward it's nearly impossible to archieve icon_cry.gif
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd get a group of 8-10 of your best 3's up to 120 and then take the best 3 up to 166. I don't have the numbers handy, but for the cost of taking one character from 120 to 166 I think you can take 4-5 of them from 95-120.
  • I'm a little behind you, 63 spots with 12 useless 4*s, and still trying to collect covers for my 3*s, while accumulating 4*s for PvE essentials. I've decided to level up pretty broadly for a few different reasons:

1) It's more fun for me to play with different teams depending on who's boosted and who the enemy is, rather than rely on my highest-level 2 or 3 all the time.

2) I can spike to near 725/800 in PvP for HP and sometimes the 3* cover, which lets me keep adding to my roster size. I don't want to mess with shields and such yet either, so I don't try to hold on for placement rewards and this is good enough performance for me, which I can achieve without leveling an "A-Team". Eventually this might change but for now I'm happy.

3) As has been mentioned, the ISO costs escalate quickly to push someone all the way to max.

4) Finally, I park my 3* at 106, rather than 104. The difference is whether or not they tank for lvl 94 2*s on team-ups (with 30 dmg at 106, 29 at 104). They will get 1 more dmg in their strongest color at 106, so you loose the option to set their tanking on that color by order, but generally the 106 3* will have a decent amount more health, so I want them tanking whenever possible (except Loki). Don't know about 120/140/whatever since I haven't gone that high yet.

I do tend to play PvE and DDQ more than PvP, so of course depending on your interests, ymmv.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    udonomefoo wrote:
    I'd get a group of 8-10 of your best 3's up to 120 and then take the best 3 up to 166. I don't have the numbers handy, but for the cost of taking one character from 120 to 166 I think you can take 4-5 of them from 95-120.

I second this suggestion. You're much better off having a core of 120s than 2 or 3 166s. For pve scaling, 120s even buffed would still allow you to use 2*. If your roster has much high levels on one end compared to the middle, your 2s may not be as effective in pve nodes.

In terms of iso cost, for 3s once you get pass level 120 that is when the cost jump up significantly to raise the level further. So definitely you get more bangs for your bucks raising several guys to 120, compared to 2-3 166s.

As far as pvp is concerned, try to enter the event at the last hour prior to expiration. Hit targets worth at least 40 points. And 99% of the time you won't be hit during your climb, since your point value is so low. Also, you wouldn't need to shield because again, no one will bother to hit you.
  • Roswulf
    Roswulf Posts: 87
    I have 65 roster spot, all 40 3* and all 14 2* (yes, SpiderBag too icon_lol.gif ), iron man 1* and the rest are 4 stars.
    Only my 2* are at max level with the right covers (not SpiderBag) I'm trying to level all my 3* to level 95 (with right covers) and the 4* to level 96.
    Then the next step will be to level 3* to max level 166.

It's a good progression or should I level 3 3* to level 166 first and then level the others?

For PVE and PVP scaling it's better the first choice?

Thanks for your advice icon_cool.gif
    I think you should stick with your current plan.

I'm a bit ahead of you, with about 2/3 of my 3* fully covered. I've capped them all at 100- for me, this is the best way to maximize fun. I have a roster with a huge variety of equally leveled characters, and I can take advantage of any pattern of boosted characters or just muck about with whatever team looks appealing. I'm stockpiling ISO at least until my 2-3 transition is complete- but I'm honestly not sure I will ever level to 166. I like my usable 2*, and the longer grindier fights above aren't exactly appealing.

The primary downside is that this makes progression through PvP slightly slower- though not much due to the much more manageable opponent pool. If you are willing to devote enough time and shielding HP to really compete in PvP, it might be worth bumping a core team of 5-6 top tier 3* to 166 when possible. A secondary downside is that if you win a 5*, you'll either have to sell it or rethink your whole progression

Oh, and leveling the 4* up to 96 is totally harmless- with the adjusted ISO costs it's cheap enough that if you want to do it for prettiness, go forth.
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    I'm transitioning from 2-3* myself and was wondering if I could get advice in this thread here (don't want to clog the forum with the same sort of post) or if I should start my own thread.

If I need to start my own thread, I'll edit this post and start a new thread!

That said:

I have a full 2* team; I don't think anybody needs any more covers. I am in the process of building my 3* team (and though I have an X-Force and Invisible Woman and a Devil Dino, they aren't being built because I obviously can't reliably get any covers)... but don't have enough covers to actually successfully build. For this reason, I have been trying to keep my roster fairly evenly keeled in terms of leveling and I have hoarded ISO in preparation for when I would need to mass-level everyone at once.

I'm more of a PvE person and so I was wondering what suggestions might be to make my roster more PvE-friendly (or keep it more PvE friendly as it may turn out) while keeping my team more or less evenly built and leveled. I enjoy being able to mix and match and create rainbow teams if possible, so this is another reason I have tried to keep it even-keeled.

How far can I level everyone in relation to my not-max-covered 3* and my not-max-covered 4* (thankfully, I never dumped ISO into any of the 4*s!) and my 1*s that I keep around for 1*-only nodes and events?

Is there a sweet spot I should stick with and is there a particular formula or ratio I can kind of follow for the future so I don't accidentally screw myself over by accidentally hyper-leveling someone?

I'm sorry if this was already mentioned in the thread; meta in this regard was never my strongest suit and it seems like everyone else's situations are a bit more far along in 3* land than mine/I am.

Please and thank you in advance!
  • AsgardOdino87
    Roswulf wrote:
    A secondary downside is that if you win a 5*, you'll either have to sell it or rethink your whole progression

I've found Silver Surfer blue cover before Galactus event starts, it was a mess... too bad scaling and I was thinking to stop playing cause of that (plus anniversary early problems it was easy to leave).

Finally I forced myself and sell SS, now the scaling is good but I can't stop crying thinking of that icon_cry.gif
  • lockness
    lockness Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    puppychow wrote:
    udonomefoo wrote:

I second this suggestion. You're much better off having a core of 120s than 2 or 3 166s. For pve scaling, 120s even buffed would still allow you to use 2*. If your roster has much high levels on one end compared to the middle, your 2s may not be as effective in pve nodes.

Just FYI. PVP is a good source of winning additional 3*. It's very doable to win the 3* at 800 points in PVP with level 120s (though, you won't stay there without shields) - You can climb, win the 3*, then end your play without spending on shields. I've done this quite a bit with level 105s and eventually 120s. Sometimes, I'll re-climb the last 30 minutes and make enough points for T100 and win another cover. It's hit or miss on that, though. Finally, you can get 4-3* (one each at 900, 1200, 1400, and 1700) in Shield Simulator. Only once in 4 seasons did I have to use a 3-hr shield to reach 1700.
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    I'm just going to throw my own personal experience out there with a disclaimer (most of this was done before several changes). I max covered 3* thor and took him to lvl 140 asap while the rest of my roster hovered around lvl 94 (mostly 2*). It didn't kill my scaling in PvE and it dramatically helped in PvP. After taking him up as high as I could I made T100 in PvP almost every time and didn't notice much change in PvE. Honestly if you have a top tier 3* I would suggest leveling them asap and riding them as far as you can ( my personal experience has been that leveling top tiers=much faster progression). Better 3*'s now=quicker 3* advancement. As long as you don't max out useless characters, you should be getting better instantly. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about my roster choices and how it's affected me, so just PM me if you want more info or have other questions.
  • I'm transitioning from 2-3* myself and was wondering if I could get advice in this thread here
    SunCrusher, I would go with what people have been saying here so far.

Lvl 104 3* has same match damage as Lvl 94 2* (except for TeamUp AP), so it's like having a broader selection of the "same" characters. I prefer 106 for same TeamUp dmg so order sets tanking on those tiles. Obviously not a big deal either way.

According to devs, the PvE scaling looks at the average of the 3 highest characters you could bring into a fight (including boosting). Typically 94 boosts to 150, 106->162 (there are varying levels of boosts, but that's the biggest typical boost). So if you have the boosted folks (or even just 3 boosted 2* characters), all the rest at 104/106 won't make any difference, except for more choices for team selection.

One comment I'll make about leveling a 3* (or 2 3*s) for PvP use: if they aren't boosted that week, they won't hurt your scaling since boosted lvl 94 2*s are 150 anyway, which will set your PvE scaling. But if they are boosted, then you'll have some issues or you'll need to use only your high-leveled, boosted characters for that event.

Probably the best thing is to target 104/106 for your 3*s, and pick 1 or 2 for PvP if you care and level them up when your covers are ready (cage & IF ?). Once in a while they will tweak your PvE scaling, but it's probably worth it for the increased rewards you could get from PvP (as others have posted). The added bonus is that PvP takes a lot less time than t50 PvE.
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    I'm transitioning from 2-3* myself and was wondering if I could get advice in this thread here
    SunCrusher, I would go with what people have been saying here so far.

Lvl 104 3* has same match damage as Lvl 94 2* (except for TeamUp AP), so it's like having a broader selection of the "same" characters. I prefer 106 for same TeamUp dmg so order sets tanking on those tiles. Obviously not a big deal either way.

According to devs, the PvE scaling looks at the average of the 3 highest characters you could bring into a fight (including boosting). Typically 94 boosts to 150, 106->162 (there are varying levels of boosts, but that's the biggest typical boost). So if you have the boosted folks (or even just 3 boosted 2* characters), all the rest at 104/106 won't make any difference, except for more choices for team selection.

One comment I'll make about leveling a 3* (or 2 3*s) for PvP use: if they aren't boosted that week, they won't hurt your scaling since boosted lvl 94 2*s are 150 anyway, which will set your PvE scaling. But if they are boosted, then you'll have some issues or you'll need to use only your high-leveled, boosted characters for that event.

Probably the best thing is to target 104/106 for your 3*s, and pick 1 or 2 for PvP if you care and level them up when your covers are ready (cage & IF ?). Once in a while they will tweak your PvE scaling, but it's probably worth it for the increased rewards you could get from PvP (as others have posted). The added bonus is that PvP takes a lot less time than t50 PvE.

Totally appreciate the advice and explanations; THANK YOU! icon_e_biggrin.gif

Edit: If by chance 4*s are boosted, do you know how far do they boost to? I have X-Force and Invisible Woman at Level 70 with zero ISO invested because I didn't want to accidentally shoot myself in the foot.
  • SunCrusher wrote:
    Edit: If by chance 4*s are boosted, do you know how far do they boost to? I have X-Force and Invisible Woman at Level 70 with zero ISO invested because I didn't want to accidentally shoot myself in the foot.
    Don't recall the exact #, but for sure Lvl70 4* will not boost higher than lvl 94 2*. I also have a collection of 4* 'essentials' that act as useless keys to open sub-nodes, and they don't hurt my scaling at all. No worries on rostering them without leveling while you build up their covers.

Wish I could say the same for 5* relative to a 3* roster... icon_e_sad.gif