Cost of shields doubled again?

Options
So the last tournament "Army of one" had shields at 50hp, 100hp, and 200hp. The new "Best there is" tournament has them at 100hp, 200hp, and 400hp. I thought the devs tried out the increased price and then dropped it back down. I suppose this is just the new price and it is here to stay.

Comments

• djpt05
    djpt05 Posts: 178
    Options
    I think that's actually good news. I wanted a break after Army of One and the only 3* reward that would cause me to play Best There Is would be Spidey...

Turns out Spidey is the big 3* reward for this tourney so I was mentally preparing another 2.5 days of grinding away. Now I won't even bother because of shield costs
  • I R disappoint. I can't see myself using shields at the higher costs =\ Hopefully this is a glitch, as opposed to the old pricing reappearing on the last tournament.
  • If I had to guess, they are going to repeat the pattern of one tournament with higher costs of shields and one with lower costs and compare the results.

I'm sure it's for the benefit of the user's experience and not for their bottom line!

icon_e_wink.gif
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hope at least shielded players are more visible, if the prices are intentional.
  • Consistency is a word that D3 has never heard of. This game is schizophrenic.
  • It looks like we're losing fewer points when we're attacked though, so shields might not be as necessary as they were in the last few tournies.
  • Although I find all the cost increases frustrating, I suppose it's a good thing. I have spent far too many hours and dollars on this game over the last 80+ days and think it's time to just play casually. I was OK with spending 10-20 dollars here and there, but now if you want to be competitive you need to spend a dollar for a three hour shield, a dollar for boosts, and you will not gain iso with the increase cost of the double color boosts. It's a great idea from the developers side as far as money goes. I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to spent the extra money to stay competitive. Still enjoy the game, but it is definitely a good time to step back a bit.
  • It looks like we're losing fewer points when we're attacked though, so shields might not be as necessary as they were in the last few tournies.

Lossage is alway lower when you are in the 0-350 range, then quickly escalates from there.
  • djpt05 wrote:
    I think that's actually good news. I wanted a break after Army of One and the only 3* reward that would cause me to play Best There Is would be Spidey...

Turns out Spidey is the big 3* reward for this tourney so I was mentally preparing another 2.5 days of grinding away. Now I won't even bother because of shield costs

Watch out for those friendly neighborhood nerfs coming Spidey's way.
  • Riker87 wrote:
    djpt05 wrote:

***funbalanced neighborhood nerfs.
  • djpt05
    djpt05 Posts: 178
    Options
    Riker87 wrote:
    djpt05 wrote:

***funbalanced neighborhood nerfs.
    I know, but I still want 3 Blue for stun. I honestly think the increased Boost costs have served to nerf Spidey already. Most players aren't already going to start with 6 Blue as easily anymore
  • I hope the Spidey nerf is focused on the purple ability (ie, reduction in protect tile strength...) I can't imagine trying to place in PVE with lv230 maggia without 2 AP stuns.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    It looks like we're losing fewer points when we're attacked though, so shields might not be as necessary as they were in the last few tournies.

Lossage is alway lower when you are in the 0-350 range, then quickly escalates from there.

Got'cha.
  • I can't believe they keep changing things back and forth so much. I generally side with having empathy for developers by being patient and understanding of their challenges, but the last few weeks have showed that they really don't know what they are doing. It's clear that whatever original vision they had for the game isn't working and they are grasping at straws to figure out a new business model.

At this point, I feel bad for having spent money on this game as it seems to have gone to amateurs rather than professionals. This is a complete flip to how I felt a month ago when I was gradually building a respectable roster and felt the economy was fair. Hopefully they're able to right the ship, but I'm not optimistic and I'm definitely not spending any more money.
  • dtm7817 wrote:
    I can't believe they keep changing things back and forth so much. I generally side with having empathy for developers by being patient and understanding of their challenges, but the last few weeks have showed that they really don't know what they are doing. It's clear that whatever original vision they had for the game isn't working and they are grasping at straws to figure out a new business model.

At this point, I feel bad for having spent money on this game as it seems to have gone to amateurs rather than professionals. This is a complete flip to how I felt a month ago when I was gradually building a respectable roster and felt the economy was fair. Hopefully they're able to right the ship, but I'm not optimistic and I'm definitely not spending any more money.

The changes being made are being decided upon for financial reasons...I think the company is making one final cash grab trying to milk their customer base before the game goes under...
  • I'm not sure about the final cash grab idea. I don't think they would be adding additional colors to the layout if this was the case. Besides, I think that there is a lot of thought behind increasing the cost of boost and fun-balancing characters. I don't like the increase in cost. I hate it, but I see a potential benefit as well. Without everyone starting off with 6ap then the defense aspect of the game increases. It is true that this will mean people without large bankrolls will no longer have a decent chance at earning 3* covers in tournaments, but that is the way P2W games generally are.
  • KLoganR wrote:
    I'm not sure about the final cash grab idea. I don't think they would be adding additional colors to the layout if this was the case. Besides, I think that there is a lot of thought behind increasing the cost of boost and fun-balancing characters. I don't like the increase in cost. I hate it, but I see a potential benefit as well. Without everyone starting off with 6ap then the defense aspect of the game increases. It is true that this will mean people without large bankrolls will no longer have a decent chance at earning 3* covers in tournaments, but that is the way P2W games generally are.

It's been said over and over even by those of us complaining, it wasn't a bad idea for pvp. It hurt newer players a little but pvp isn't where a new player should be top of the pack. The big issue is that it completely jacked up the current Pve event.
  • KLoganR wrote:
    I'm not sure about the final cash grab idea. I don't think they would be adding additional colors to the layout if this was the case. Besides, I think that there is a lot of thought behind increasing the cost of boost and fun-balancing characters. I don't like the increase in cost. I hate it, but I see a potential benefit as well. Without everyone starting off with 6ap then the defense aspect of the game increases. It is true that this will mean people without large bankrolls will no longer have a decent chance at earning 3* covers in tournaments, but that is the way P2W games generally are.

It's been said over and over even by those of us complaining, it wasn't a bad idea for pvp. It hurt newer players a little but pvp isn't where a new player should be top of the pack. The big issue is that it completely jacked up the current Pve event.

Your right.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Based on Lightning Rounds, the new "low boost & no retry" enviroment provides enough point-loss defense, if you can build a decent defense team.