*** Colossus (Classic) ***

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Colossus could use a revisit now that Cage and Thing have shown good ways to make defensive tanks...
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    Colossus could use a revisit now that Cage and Thing have shown good ways to make defensive tanks...
    His yellow isn't awful. It's his black that's a mess. Too expensive for what it does. Making it 12 would help, but only if you can specify the skill. If they insist on keeping it random, it needs to be way cheaper, otherwise there's really not much reason to use it, unless somehow you're using a formation with no other black in it.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    If Colossus throws Hulkbuster and Repulsor Punch is triggered does it drain your red AP? Same question for Ares/Onslaught/green AP, I guess.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    vudu3 wrote:
    If Colossus throws Hulkbuster and Repulsor Punch is triggered does it drain your red AP? Same question for Ares/Onslaught/green AP, I guess.

Pretty sure it does only you basically get +9 (for hulkbuster) or +5 (from Ares) red/green respectively added to the effect.

So if you have 15 red and RP, instead of doing 6 damage worth of red, I'd assume you do the full 15 red's worth.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blahahah wrote:
    vudu3 wrote:

Pretty sure it does only you basically get +9 (for hulkbuster) or +5 (from Ares) red/green respectively added to the effect.

So if you have 15 red and RP, instead of doing 6 damage worth of red, I'd assume you do the full 15 red's worth.

I don't use Hulkbuster much since mine is only 1/3/3, but I know Ares does damage for those 5-6 AP required to activate Onslaught. Otherwise it would do zero damage at that AP threshold the AI always uses it at.

A better question is "WHY DID YOU PUT 5 COVERS INTO ONSLAUGHT?!" Are you really trying to use it earlier rather than saving it for a big hit?
  • Quebbster
    Blahahah wrote:
    vudu3 wrote:

Hulkbuster deals damage for all red AP. There's no advantage to getting it through FBS.
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Quebbster wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:
    vudu3 wrote:

Hulkbuster deals damage for all red AP. There's no advantage to getting it through FBS.

But the mental image it creates is priceless. I would love to see Colossus try to throw the Hulkbuster armor at an enemy.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    But the mental image it creates is priceless. I would love to see Colossus try to throw the Hulkbuster armor at an enemy.

I'm still miffed he can't throw Professor X. icon_cry.gif
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I keep trying to get an extra twin pistols out of FBS, but every time it does intimidation. Is it even possible to get twin pistols through FBS?
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    udonomefoo wrote:
    I keep trying to get an extra twin pistols out of FBS, but every time it does intimidation. Is it even possible to get twin pistols through FBS?

Pretty sure anything that can be a TU can thrown. It's been a while since I had a Twin Pistols TU, but I'm pretty sure it still can be. Though I suppose the test would be if you had an extra Yellow Hood cover you planned to sell for Iso, recruit it as a single cover Hood, then throw him. If you can thrown it, it'll work.
  • Quebbster
    I'm fairly sure I have been able to pull off Twin Pistols with a Fastball Special. It's an interesting mental image with Colossus tossing a sniper high into the air.
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    I noticed in this (colossus) pvp that colossus black works pretty well with Jean Grey. Since both of her abilites deal similar big aoe dmg it eliminates the randomness of fbs. Combined with throw dmg the total damage is pretty decent for 13 ap ability. I decided to respec my colossus to 3/5/5 since I never used his yellow but threw the fastball every game.
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    Honestly I used his yellow pretty much every game it was really usefull and saved a ton of damage it also saved my other two big hitters from taking any big damage skills. I was using black for overdrive so I had a better outlet than fastball, but I feel you are likely to have a decent black outlet these days in higher level play but the same cannot be said for yellow. There were times when I chased yellow early just to get the defence up, no way I am chasing 13 black just to fire fastball.
  • Highdark
    Highdark Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Hulkbuster with fbs drains all your red.

Overall all his abilities should be cheaper. 6y 9r 10b. He's not bad now per say but he is very ignore able for a tank. More then enough ways to handle unwanted countdown tiles, red costs so much that it's easy to prepare for, and his black is so expensive that his allies will be dead before use.

Just saying I'd skip a hulk, captain marvel and Luke, but not colossus. Two do it better IN his colors.

Using him on offense, Luke cage does it better naturally and in his colors. DP does it better as well but only shares most of his colors.
  • ArcanaMoon
    ArcanaMoon Posts: 72 Match Maker

Cage have a op passive, negate normal attack right of the bat is stupid and boring. Beside, Colossus is not a bad tank, he can achive something cage cannot, and thats is taking a burst and forcing the enemy to attack him.

First, icon_colossus_new.pngyellowflag.png move him to the front and stay there, thats an ability no other tank in the game has, stay in the front tanking normal attacks, you cannot switch colossus for five turns to attack his damage dealers.

Second, Colossus can take more burst damage than luke cage can, or almost any other tank. Cyclops use a charged full blast and like cage takes over 8K damage, colossus take the half of that damage if there is no defense tittle in the field, colossus damage reduction comes after defense title reduction, so the damage is reduced even more. Than mean you cannot use your skills like that when Colossus yellowflag.png is active, is just a wasted of ap.

Also, you can use this ability in the attack. Set up your yellow, do a match with a team mate, he attack, and them is colossus who take the major damage from the enemy skills next turn. Colossus is not a bad tank, the problem is Cage´s passive is just OP
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    ArcanaMoon wrote:

Cage have a op passive, negate normal attack right of the bat is stupid and boring. Beside, Colossus is not a bad tank, he can achive something cage cannot, and thats is taking a burst and forcing the enemy to attack him.

First, icon_colossus_new.pngyellowflag.png move him to the front and stay there, thats an ability no other tank in the game has, stay in the front tanking normal attacks, you cannot switch colossus for five turns to attack his damage dealers.

Second, Colossus can take more burst damage than luke cage can, or almost any other tank. Cyclops use a charged full blast and like cage takes over 8K damage, colossus take the half of that damage if there is no defense tittle in the field, colossus damage reduction comes after defense title reduction, so the damage is reduced even more. Than mean you cannot use your skills like that when Colossus yellowflag.png is active, is just a wasted of ap.

Also, you can use this ability in the attack. Set up your yellow, do a match with a team mate, he attack, and them is colossus who take the major damage from the enemy skills next turn. Colossus is not a bad tank, the problem is Cage´s passive is just OP

I'm not really bothered about someone tanking match damage (which is often the case in Colossus) and if you want someone to tank power damage then surely Thing is a much better option, will automatically jump to the front to save a friend if they're gonna be hit big and give you some protect tiles all for free.
  • ArcanaMoon
    ArcanaMoon Posts: 72 Match Maker
    I'm not really bothered about someone tanking match damage (which is often the case in Colossus) and if you want someone to tank power damage then surely Thing is a much better option, will automatically jump to the front to save a friend if they're gonna be hit big and give you some protect tiles all for free.

Not every character or tank can have a "jump in front to block damage" that would make the game boring if every one would be the same. Colossus is quite good at tanking and protecting his teammates. In fact, in the recently Fallen Star event, i pair him with OBW and Sentry, making a personal combo XD

I use the Fastball special in OBW, followed by Colossus Immovable Object, and finishing with Supernova, OBW take no damage and get portected from everything, Colossus only take half of Supernova damage, and tank the attack from enemy team next turn insted of Sentry protecting him from the harm of his own supernova.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    ArcanaMoon wrote:

Not every character or tank can have a "jump in front to block damage" that would make the game boring if every one would be the same. Colossus is quite good at tanking and protecting his teammates. In fact, in the recently Fallen Star event, i pair him with OBW and Sentry, making a personal combo XD

I use the Fastball special in OBW, followed by Colossus Immovable Object, and finishing with Supernova, OBW take no damage and get portected from everything, Colossus only take half of Supernova damage, and tank the attack from enemy team next turn insted of Sentry protecting him from the harm of his own supernova.

I wasn't suggesting that every character have a jump in front power, just saying that in my personal opinion I prefer Thing to colossus for the aforementioned reasons, he just seems a bit more functional for me.
  • Quebbster
    poomermon wrote:
    I noticed in this (colossus) pvp that colossus black works pretty well with Jean Grey. Since both of her abilites deal similar big aoe dmg it eliminates the randomness of fbs. Combined with throw dmg the total damage is pretty decent for 13 ap ability. I decided to respec my colossus to 3/5/5 since I never used his yellow but threw the fastball every game.
    I was just coming here to ask if this was a viable combo. May try it in Heroic mode then. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Quebbster
    OJSP wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    poomermon wrote:
    I was just coming here to ask if this was a viable combo. May try it in Heroic mode then. icon_e_smile.gif
    Try it in Daken's event.. it's quite efficient. Daken, Colossus and Jean Grey is a rainbow team with 3 AoEs (if Colossus has 5 redflag.png ). Daken tanks blacktile.png in the team and can deal the final blows with Chemical Reaction.

The downside is, on defense, Colossus might throw Daken instead.. but it's not a bad compromise. Also, it's quite slow.
    Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too... but since X-force Wolverine and Deadpool are boosted it's also tempting to run an old favorite team there. Oh well, I can Always mix and match. icon_e_smile.gif