Should I still spend HP on 4* covers?

Not sure where this question belongs but it's a headscratcher for me.

A little insight: I have 9000 hp and only 2 maxed 4* the next one is fury with 5/3/3, and jean with 3/1/4. As you can see, I'm struggling in the transition. Should I hold out on spending hp due to the advent of Legendary tokens or spend away? If spend, when should I spend/ on whom?

Comments

• I'm not the best person to answer your question, so take this with a grain of salt. From my observations, the common consensus is, if spending money on HP is within your means, then do it. I honestly don't think it will ever be easier to get specific covers you're looking for than it is right now. Any substantial changes to the frequency you get 4* covers will probably be negated by an increase in characters, and thus a decrease in probability.

In summary, I think it will only get harder in the future to get the cover you need, and any attempt to make it easier will probably affect the entire 4* spectrum rather than a specific character or cover. If you can afford it, do it. (where's that whale emoji icon_lol.gif ?)
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I'd hold off until we see what this new game mode thingy they mentioned is. It might make the answer clearer.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    gamependium link of your roster might help.

Edited.

http://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/Ronin-san/
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    I'd hold off until we see what this new game mode thingy they mentioned is. It might make the answer clearer.
    I agree with dave - "something" is coming. not sure what that is, but I'd hold off. of course I'm a hypocrite because I just added a red to hb for the ddq node, but I have a larger hp pile too (although it is shrinking...always shrinking).
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would strongly recommend against buying 4* covers until and unless you can get a significant, immediate reward by doing so. So buying a 5th IMHB red to finish his build, then maybe it's worth the prohibitive cost of 2500HP.

But overall I think the smarter play is to use what you already have to build up your other 4*s via 1k prog rewards in PVP. I wouldn't say that you are struggling with your 4* transition at all! I would bet that a significantly majority of the player base does not have 2 fully covered 4*s.

I also disagree with DeiXide in that I don't think the consensus is to spend if you have the money. My impression is that people view spending as a personal choice, so feel free to drop cash if you have it without feeling bad. But the only real smart buy with money is roster slots. The 4* covers are too expensive to buy individually (though still better than cover packs!) unless you are desperate to whale things up and have fully maxed roster the moment of release.
  • Thanks,

I'll take you advice to save/wait.
  • Alx85
    Alx85 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    If you have some hp built up I would personally use it on some 4* covers now. The advent of legendary means that having useable 4* will become a lot more commonplace so if you wait for covers to drop using the free earned tokens (apart from the lowering odds of a particular cover as more are released) a large chunk of players will also be doing this and keeping pace with you, so from an individual player point of view, you'll never really get an edge in pvp or sim etc as the player base matures and progresses at a similar rate. Take the step now if you're able and get ahead of (some of) the pack.

I was pretty pleased with myself to get 3 maxed 3* characters thinking oh yeah I'll walk pvp/sim easily now, but it turns I just face teams of 166 of pretty much the same characters as I have...

I guess you'll always get matched against similar strength teams, and 4* are already on the increase but they will have the edge over us 166 3* players for a time to come.

I'd avoid buying a fifth cover in anything (unless you really need it now) as Sod's law you'll probably pull it shortly afterwards and left in the awful position of selling a 4* (sacrilege!).

Hulkbuster, prof X and jean grey seem to be popular choices... But I don't have any useable 4s yet so hard to say...
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I bought my fifth Hulkbuster red cover a little while ago and have not regretted it, not even when I got another red from a legendary. He's been getting a lot of use for me ever since then, so I figure it was worth the investment.