Crossover spinoff: Marvel VS Capcom Puzzle Quest

Options
GundamY
GundamY Posts: 182
edited September 2015 in Speculation and Concepts
Grantosium made a little comment from Pumpkin Pyro's forum post about getting a 5* Dormammu for the upcoming Halloween:
Grantosium wrote:
vinicius18 wrote:
If Capcom agree could also include Vergil.
Well, I wasn't expecting that post.

Vergil could be pretty cool in this game though. A horizontal slash move (similar to Optic Blasts), a Devil Trigger countdown (similar to Imaginaut?), possibly some sort of parry ability as well.

Maybe save this for the never-to-be-made Marvel vs Capcom Puzzle Quest spin-off though?
That's where I come in, see? I love being in this forum section because I get to share my thoughts and interpretations of how characters can be incorporated in the MPQ universe! Now I'm not much of a fan of Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 because of how easily trapped you can be from spamming combos. But! At the very least I can try to implement a somewhat fairer version of Capcom characters, you know? Let's try Dante and Virgil, Sons of Sparda from Devil May Cry!

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngDante (Devil May Cry)

1919114-devilmaycry301.jpg

redflag.pngRebellion Stinger - redtile.png 7 AP: Dante thrusts forward with his signature technique using his trademark magical blade. The enemy team takes 610 damage. (Passive): If Dante uses this ability 4 times in the same turn, he activates his Devil Trigger to heals 970 health.

Max Level: The enemy team takes 1300 damage. (Passive): Dante no longer requires to use this ability in the same turn to activate his Devil Trigger. When Dante uses this ability for the 3rd time, he heals 4200 health. When he uses the ability for the 4th time, Dante creates 3 Strike Tiles with 270 strength each.

blackflag.pngEbony and Ivory - blacktile.png 9 AP: With his trusty dual semi-automatic pistols, Dante rapidly fires bullets infused with his demonic energy. Destroy 2 blocks of 1x1 vertical tiles randomly. Deal 430 damage for each block of tiles destroyed.

Max Level: Select 2 tiles. Each tile selected will destroy a block of 2x3 vertical tiles. Deal 1600 damage for each block destroyed. When it's the enemy team's turn, destroy 2 blocks of 2x3 horizontal tiles randomly. Deal 1200 damage for each destroyed random block of tiles to the enemy team.

yellowflag.pngJam Session - yellowtile.png 11 AP: Dante whips out his electric guitar and summons a lightning pillar around him. Stun the enemy for 1 turn. Deal 570 damage and create 1 Black Charged Tile.

Max Level: Stun the enemy team for 2 turns. Deal 4100 damage and create 3 Red, Black, and Yellow Charged Tiles.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngVirgil (Devil May Cry)

DmC_GN_Cover_web.jpg.size-600.jpg

blueflag.pngJudgement Cut - 6 AP: Virgil unsheathes his Yamato blade with blinding speed and slashes his unsuspecting opponents. Destroy the top row of tiles. The enemy in the back takes 790 damage.

Max Level: Destroy 20 tiles in an hourglass shape. The enemy in the middle and back takes 1600 damage. Deal 2400 extra damage to the target with the lowest health.

e.g. Red = Tiles destroyed; Black = Tiles intact
blacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.png
blacktile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngblacktile.png
blacktile.pngblacktile.pngredtile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngredtile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.png
blacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.png
blacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.png
blacktile.pngblacktile.pngredtile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngredtile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.png
blacktile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngblacktile.png
blacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.png

purpleflag.pngBeowulf Gauntlets - purpletile.png 14 AP: Wearing these set of greaves allows Virgil to pulverize his singular opponent. Deal 1040 damage to the enemy in the front.

Max Level: Deal 4360 damage to the enemy in the front. If the target's health is the highest among the enemy team, deal 2300 bonus damage.

greenflag.pngDevil Trigger - greentile.png 20 AP: Virgil seeks power at all costs by embracing his demonic heritage. Place a 4-turn Countdown Tile. While this Countdown Tile is on the board, Virgil deals 666 extra damage and heals 444 health on each turn.

Max Level: Place a 8-turn Countdown Tile. While this Countdown Tile is on the board, Virgil deals 3300 extra damage and heals 2220 health on each turn.

Well guys? Should I add Trish into this post as well? Let me know what you guys think!

Comments

• Ok, I wasn't expecting this either. Sadly, as a Marvel vs Capcom game this isn't going to be made. The MvC games pre-date Disney's acquisition of Marvel and are very unlikely to see future releases, especially as digital distribution was stopped abruptly and without warning shortly after the Disney take over. It's possible a Capcom Puzzle Quest could be made. In fact I think there is a game Puzzle Fighter with Street Fighter characters already but the mechanics are somewhat different.

Ignoring whether this would be in the realms of possibility, yes good ideas for movesets.

Some balancing may be required, Vergil seems somewhat stronger than Dante, although Jam Session would be potentially an in demand team up. Maybe Dante's Devil Trigger passive could activate from accumulation of countdown tiles? as the AI cannot use the same move twice in a turn. This would make it similar to Luke Cage's black and Quicksilver's blue.

Going off on a tangent in my mind, Dante is all about combos and I like the notion that in his games the combos are rated A-D with S for Stylish as the top rank. He could have had a move similar to Psylocke red/QS blue where each time the power is used it places a strike tile or countdown representing combo. Once enough tiles are placed, Devil Trigger happens
  • GundamY
    GundamY Posts: 182
    Options
    It's good to see Grantosium's feedback about the Sons of Sparda. But to be honest, balancing is not my forte, as I focus mainly on spawning new characters and speculations on how their abilities can match both their original source and the MPQ universe.

I talked to ErikPeter about how to implement the ideas, and he warned me that overcomplicating mechanics can do more harm than good. So by taking his advice, I'm going to try making this simple for new players who are reading this post. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Trish!

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngTrish (Devil May Cry)

DMC_comic_2b.jpg

blackflag.pngRound Harvest - blacktile.png 13 AP: Trish swings the Sword of Sparda and reaps her surroundings. Destroy 7 tiles on the top row and place a 1-turn Countdown Tile on the top right corner. When the countdown timer is up, destroy 7 tiles on the top row again and return 5 black AP. Does not gain AP from destroyed tiles.

e.g. Red Tile = Destroyed; Black Tiles = Intact; Blue Tile = Countdown
    redtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngcountdown.png

Max Level: Trish swings her weapon further to deny incoming enemy reinforcements. Destroy 7 tiles on the top row and place a 4-turn Countdown Tile on the top right corner. Each turn, the Countdown Tile moves to a new corner clockwise and destroys 7 tiles on its path. When the timer is up, return 7 Black AP to Trish. Does not gain AP from destroyed tiles.

e.g. Red Tile = Destroyed; Black Tiles = Intact; Blue Tile = Countdown
    1st turn
    redtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngcountdown.png

2nd turn

blacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngredtile.png
    blacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngredtile.png
    blacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngcountdown.png

3rd turn
    countdown.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.png

4th turn
    countdown.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.png
    redtile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.png
    redtile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.png

yellowflag.pngMaximum Voltage - yellowtile.png 6 AP: Unwitting foes accidentally step into electrical traps Trish set up around them. Create 2 Trap tiles on the yellow tiles. If the enemy makes a match with the trap tiles, stun the enemy for 1 turn.

Max Level: Create 6 Trap tiles on the yellow tiles. If the enemy makes a match with the trap tiles, stun the enemy team for 3 turns. If you make the match with the trap tiles, convert 4 Team-Up tiles into yellow tiles on the board.

greenflag.pngDuet Pain - greentile.png 9 AP: Luce and Ombra are the dual pistols' names, and shooting people are their game. Select 2 tiles. Deal 450 damage for each tile destroyed to the enemy.

Max Level: Select 6 tiles. Deal 666 damage for each tile destroyed to the enemy and drain 3 AP of each color in the enemy team's AP pool.

The tricky part about Trish is how to make her a keep-away character (denying enemy AP and avoiding damage) while not turning her into a clone of Elektra. Some people think the Duet Pain is similar to Dante's Ebony and Ivory. And while that's true, Trish focuses on her targets instead of recklessly destroying her surroundings unlike Dante who will cause havoc everywhere he goes.
  • I like how you said you were going to keep the powers simple and then the first power in the post needs 4 diagrams to explain it!

In all seriousness though I think that's a great idea for a power. It would be fun to see a version of that implemented in game.

The yellow is seriously overpowered in my opinion. If you have fought a Jean Grey team and suffered her stun, you have yet to feel the pain of fighting Trish!

Green is similar to Bullseye green so np reason why it won't work. AP drain might be quite reasonable. Would need the input of a high level 4* player to advise whether the damage output is balanced.

Fun!