The Hard Choices

Options
M C K
M C K Posts: 96 Match Maker
edited September 2015 in Roster and Level Help
700 days in! Who would have thought it possible?

I should really upload my massive tracking spreadsheet sometime. In the meantime, here's the gist:
  • I have 72 roster spots, all full
  • I just picked up my Hero10 for Season XIX
  • I have 11 4*s currently on roster (yes, including Devil Dino and Bag Lady)
  • I have 925HP, and only need 25HP more for another roster spot
  • I am within striking distance of 2000 on the SHIELD Sim, which will bag me Jean Grey (I do not yet have her on roster)

So two burning questions:
  1. In the immediacy, I need to figure out how to play the 10-pack. Do I open it now, wait for next season, or wait until the anniversary event? Do drop rates for good covers from tokens go up during the anniversary? If I open it now, what do I miss out on (besides Iceman)?
  2. Longer term, assuming I hit 2000 on the Sim and bag JG, I'll be out of roster spots. I'm not spending money, nor getting rid of a 3* or 2* since they are essentials in PvEs. I still have six 1*s to sell (Venom would probably be next to go), but eventually the model becomes unwieldy and unsustainable, unless I win an HP sweepstakes or roster slot prices go down (and I know which of those is more likely). How are some of you in similar circumstances dealing with this issue?

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    no idea on 1. on 2, first, jean is a top flight 4*, ranked 1-3 depending on whose list you look at. if you can get there for her, I'd say it would be worth it to roster her. roster slots - I have one 1* (jugs) and six 2*s. I keep a cover of the other seven 2*s in my 'claim your rewards' queue and I use one slot for those if I need an essential and I take on essentials those events basically 2 on 3 (with the essential just being a single cover level 15). have not had an issue with doing that so far. I have all 3*s and all 4*s except dino rostered and as far as essentials go, the 2*s are much easier to get every week than any 4* is. I would keep each and every 4* you could. the 1*s, other than one for ddq (i.e. jugs or im35 if you prefer), are completely optional to me.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1. Save it.. if you don't have an open roster slot, don't risk getting another character you can't roster.. doesn't matter when they update.. that is a choice you don't want to have to make.
    2. Go hard into the PVE, 1 t50 in any sub, and you have your roster spot. I know PVE can be rough.. but if you can manage it.. do a quick merc if you have a good pve score and a good pvp score.. t250 in each is all it takes, and boom 50+ more HP, t100 in each and you can roll. I have easily made 1k HP in the past few weeks from doing both PVE and PVP (have had time, which helps)

But for your current situation, all it takes is 1.

Which 6 1*s? The only ones i have keep around are IM35 (he can solo the 1* DDQ node easily) 1* Storm , and 1* Spidey. Spidey will be the first to go if it comes to that, he is fun to use, but at most i get to use one of his powers a week in 1* ddq (always purple). 1* Storm green is a nice fast TU to use and send, so i plan on keeping her around.

The real issue coming is this:
    Anniversary Week, 50hp tokens hopefully.. here is hoping you get some HP from the DDQ vault!
  • M C K
    Options
    I've been relatively hard into the current Hood PvE, so getting the extra quarter in HP isn't much of a concern to me. I've been trying most PvEs to pick up the Legendary token anyway. It's everything that comes after...like so many, I fear that unless I dive headlong into every PvE, PvP, and special event I won't be able to keep up with the expanding selection of characters.

My 1*s are IM35, Venom, Hawkeye, BW, Juggs, and Storm. And I probably have all of the 2*s rostered, can't think of any I'm missing. I usually try to play in BoP, which is why I keep those 1*s around (well, that and the Pokemon obsession with catching them all). But I rarely use most of them. They're there mostly for completeness and nostalgia. icon_e_biggrin.gif

I think once 2*s stop being essentials I'll feel better about selling them off, but I'm at least keeping my leveled 2* Hawkeye around until I have a viable PX. And OBW is hard to say goodbye to, even though I haven't used her in quite some time.

My immediate step looks like getting JG rostered and holding on to that 10-pack until I save up some more HP. Legendaries are really tempting to open, and I've opened four of them already (one Surfer!), but I may hang on to them too on the off-chance I pick up another unrostered character. At least for the time being 1*s are relatively expendable. Plus my last 10-pack was unusually garbage (three 3*s, seven 2*s).
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Last Anniversary they had special Anniversary tokens with rather spectacular draw rates. I don't think they changed draw rates on ordinary tokens though. The only real effect of hanging on to the Heroic tokens is that later you'll have a chance to get Iceman too.
    The point about roster spots is a good one though.
    As for the one-stars, you can probably do quite well with just Juggernaut, the others can be considered a luxury.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I only keep Juggs for DDQ he easily does it even on a low level (mines 23) every time. I sold all my other 1* and am currently in the 2-3* transition. It's hard work knowing who to keep and who to ditch, especially when you don't know what teams you will prefer in future. I've sold 3 hulk covers in the past (two of them black) thinking I'd never want to use him but here I am, with a place for him on my team and now black covers are almost as rare as 4* covers (I have actually pulled the same number of 4* as hulk black from heroic tokens)

Personally speaking, I'd say keep a few 2*'s (the ones which pop up in essentials the most) I favour the 2*'s with quick power use (Daken springs to mind) and get rid of the rest.

And don't open any more legendary tokens until you are sure you can accommodate at least the same amount of roster spaces as you have tokens, because you never know you might have 4 tokens and end up getting 4 completely new 4/5* characters. I find myself in this position with Nicky Fury and Thing about to expire and I'd like to keep them both...
  • M C K
    Options
    Sounds like the right way forward. Actually moments ago hit 2000 in the Sim and caught a wild JG. My reward for Day 701 was 100HP, so I bought the slot and rostered her with no problems. Now it's off to earn another thousand HP before I open anything else!

Thanks for the advice all!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No need for more than 1 1* (juggs). DDQ is incredibly easy with my lvl 26 Juggs by himself.

And all you really need for 2*s are a 3-5 of the best, plus one slot dedicated to rotating in essentials for pve as necessary.

Keep every 3* and 4* (and 5* obviously).

As for the 10pack: by waiting you will get a chance at iceman. And periodically the devs increase the 4* drop rates at the beginning of new seasons (though they did that at the beginning of Season XIX, so I wouldn't expect it to happen again for Season XX).

I would make your choice on roster space. If you would be in trouble if you pulled a new character from the 10pack, then stockpile it until you have more ISO.

also, I would start stockpiling HP.