Inhumans are killing off the X-Men.. forever!

Malcrof
Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2015 in Off Topic

Comments

• optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe it's not a bad thing. The concept of the X-Men would work far better in its completely own, separate universe. It's always been a hard sell that mutants are supposed to be regarded with such fear & suspicion, but non-mutant heroes like the FF & Avengers don't face similar problems. They all dress in silly costumes icon_razz.gif

Of course Marvel's only doing this because of the film licensing. The tail really wags the dog at Marvel these days.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Fox can suck it, they keep pumping out these awful marvel movies just to hang onto the rights and its god damn annoying.

also that girl in the JG cosplay is pretty tasty
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

Or not.

Inhumans have gained some popularity the last year (the Khamala Khan Miss Marvel was apparantly an unexpected success), but mutants are still going very strong. Even with the whole shattered-worlds approach of Secret Wars, we've only seen minor Inhuman stuff and we're still seeing a lot of mutant material. Secret Wars would've been perfect to kickstart multiple threads of Inhuman stories, precisely because you can play multiple angles on the same core set of audience drawing characters. (Let's face it; Inhumanity does not have that many crowd-drawing characters compared to mutants.)

If anything, the new plotline is going to be a vehicle to popularize Inhumanity by tying them to mutants and mooching off of the popularity of a classic 'final days of ...' plotline with inner turmoil, misunderstanding and tragedy that has been oh so common over the years with the mutant plotlines. Remember; we've seen a fair share of plotlines around mutant genocide before, but mutants are still here ...
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    Fox has done a great job with the X-men movies. 4 out of 5 movies in the main line have all been good, the Wolverine side-projects, not as good.

It is a shame to see them getting pushed out of the comics, at one point they kept Marvel afloat when nobody cared about the Avengers.

My reading was just limited to the X-men and Spider-man (early 90s), but I do remember being dissapointed every time the Inhumans showed up as guest stars in any arc. I was never a fan.

Maybe they have gotten more interesting in the twenty some years since I paid attention. I just remember them as the group with the leader who couldn't talk, some weird looking dog, and they lived on the dark side of the moon.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    The portrayal of the Inhumans in Agents of Shield is actually very compelling. I know this is 100% about the movie rights.. but i also think these kind of shake-ups are necessary.

Let the mutants die off.. then in a few years.. let them slowly re-emerge after the world has gotten to know the Inhumans. In the comics, i think they have gone about as far as they can with the X-People...

With terragenesis, they basically have license to create a vast new universe of unique characters.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    This is no different than "No More Mutants" after House of M. Ike Perlmutter, the head of Marvel, is just being pity and cheap. This is in no way permanent. It's dumb (some of the dialogue makes zero sense), but the X-Men are too popular (and the Inhumans are nowhere near being popular) to just cut them out of the MU completely.
  • I don't mind if some of the lesser known ones get killed off, and even some of the major ones, aslong as those who replace them are interesting characters, could be a brand new page. Though I'm sure there are some exterior *cough* movie rights *cough* motives behind it aswell.
  • Cabol
    Cabol Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    You do realize that this isn't going to mean all mutants are gone right? There's about 5 or 6 X-Men comics series starting once Secret Wars is done, lol
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I dont think it is going to be that serious, it is going to be similar to the time when Wanda said her infamous "no more mutants", there will be a smaller number of mutants maybe, but nothing serious. There were rumors of Marvel wanting to move Xmend to a different universe but they were false.

What worries me is what is going to happen with Cyclops after Secret Wars. I still have not seen any drawing of him in any previwe or cover of any comic after SW.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Polares wrote:
    I dont think it is going to be that serious, it is going to be similar to the time when Wanda said her infamous "no more mutants", there will be a smaller number of mutants maybe, but nothing serious. There were rumors of Marvel wanting to move Xmend to a different universe but they were false.

What worries me is what is going to happen with Cyclops after Secret Wars. I still have not seen any drawing of him in any previwe or cover of any comic after SW.

He's on the cover for All-New X-Men #3:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/0/0/1/ANXMEN2015003-covcolFIN-4819a.jpg

Though it doesn't sound good:

"Terrible acts committed by mutant revolutionary Cyclops have placed mutantkind in extinction's crosshairs...and no one is left to suffer the consequences more than his time-displaced counterpart -- teen-aged Scott Summers."
  • VazzVegas
    VazzVegas Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    The X-Men will never die. It's obvious why they are doing this and it's defo coming from the top brass at Disney. I bet Marvel execs are against it but have no choice. If anything, this will backfire and make Inhumans look poorly and X-Men more popular.
  • It's pretty weird/disturbing that Marvel's allegory for oppressed minorities is literally and figuratively being sterilized and slowly poisoned to death by Marvel's allegory for eugenics! icon_e_confused.gif

But obviously, they're not actually going to shutter the X-Men as a franchise, or kill off all the mutants. This is just another big storytelling direction like M-day was. They wouldn't be committing some of their best creative talent to the X-books if they were really trying to secretly kill off any interest in them; it's too big of a cash cow, even if it's no longer the backbone it was in the 90s.
    VazzVegas wrote:
    The X-Men will never die. It's obvious why they are doing this and it's defo coming from the top brass at Disney. I bet Marvel execs are against it but have no choice. If anything, this will backfire and make Inhumans look poorly and X-Men more popular.
    Every single rumor, conspiracy theory, and the like, all have it coming direct from Marvel's CEO, Ike Perlmutter. Besides, Disney doesn't really appear to be highly involved with Marvel's day-to-day operations.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Fox can suck it, they keep pumping out these awful marvel movies just to hang onto the rights and its tiny kitty annoying.

Uhm.......except for the fact that Days Of Future Past was received EXTREMELY well by both fans and critics alike, made a ton of money, topped the charts for the RE-release just a month ago, etc etc etc...........

• I hate it. They've been trying to shove the Inhumans down peoples throats for years now and it's having the effect of people turning on the characters. I think they can be entertaining with the right storyline, but they are just too niche to take the XFolks place. Sorta like Asgard stories. Great in the right light and pocket of the Marvel U but does anyone really wanna see a whole "Asgardization" of Marvel outside of possibly a special storyline. Which maybe this is all this'll turn out to be. The problem is Marvel is sooooo painfully slow at resolving these things. I'm beyond skeptical of everything Marvel has planned though. So I'm jaded coming into the ball game.
  • Maybe it's not a bad thing. The concept of the X-Men would work far better in its completely own, separate universe. It's always been a hard sell that mutants are supposed to be regarded with such fear & suspicion, but non-mutant heroes like the FF & Avengers don't face similar problems. They all dress in silly costumes icon_razz.gif

Of course Marvel's only doing this because of the film licensing. The tail really wags the dog at Marvel these days.

Spandex is non-threatening. Maybe?
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    TLCstormz wrote:
    Fox can suck it, they keep pumping out these awful marvel movies just to hang onto the rights and its tiny kitty annoying.

Uhm.......except for the fact that Days Of Future Past was received EXTREMELY well by both fans and critics alike, made a ton of money, topped the charts for the RE-release just a month ago, etc etc etc...........

k so you do realize that the other movies were such flaming piles of garbage that DoFP was a recon of almost the entire series right? Because of DoFP, Last Stand (2006) which was already considered a massive turd, did not happen because both jean and scott are alive, The Wolverine (2013) did not happen and questionably the first 2 movies did not happen because we really don't know how the movie reshaped the rest of the timeline because wolverine going into the past obviously changed some things.

I've watched everything in the entire series twice for the sake of fairness and honestly the movies are boring as hell, vast majority of the characters are dull and feel there just for the sake of being there and the entire thing might as well be called Hugh Jackman and friends.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    I doubt Marvel would kill off the X-Men. Wolverine is one of their most popular characters overall and the x-men as a group are still going strong even with the mess of alternate realities/universes/gazillion cross series events they did in the past decade. I think it's a big promotion for Inhumans though.

Fox has done a terrible job of making Fantastic Four movies and a mixed job of making X-Men movies which are on par with Sony's Spider-Man stuff to me. Their casting of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and Fassbender as Magneto is so great it glazed over a lot of the warts (Even though the Wolverine movies sucked hard)
    but i'd love for all the rights to be back with Marvel.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe it's not a bad thing. The concept of the X-Men would work far better in its completely own, separate universe. It's always been a hard sell that mutants are supposed to be regarded with such fear & suspicion, but non-mutant heroes like the FF & Avengers don't face similar problems. They all dress in silly costumes icon_razz.gif

Yes but the Avengers don't have people like Magneto who try to kill off humans or take over the world every so often. And there have been plenty of incidents where a teenager developed mutant powers and killed people unintentionally.

Considering the films are killing the comics for revenue and profits, I don't know which bit is the tail and which is the body.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    k so you do realize that the other movies were such flaming piles of garbage that DoFP was a recon of almost the entire series right? Because of DoFP, Last Stand (2006) which was already considered a massive turd, did not happen because both jean and scott are alive, The Wolverine (2013) did not happen and questionably the first 2 movies did not happen because we really don't know how the movie reshaped the rest of the timeline because wolverine going into the past obviously changed some things.

Nobody aside from an anal-retentive few really care that DOFP "erased" the old films from continuity, you know. They're all still out there on home video and digital streaming, and people aren't going to refuse to buy them because "DOFP told us to". And for being "flaming piles of garbage", all of them made huge amounts of money for Fox and Marvel. Fantastic 4 was their first box-office bomb in a long while.
  • k so you do realize that the other movies were such flaming piles of garbage that DoFP was a recon of almost the entire series right? Because of DoFP, Last Stand (2006) which was already considered a massive turd, did not happen because both jean and scott are alive, The Wolverine (2013) did not happen and questionably the first 2 movies did not happen because we really don't know how the movie reshaped the rest of the timeline because wolverine going into the past obviously changed some things.

I've watched everything in the entire series twice for the sake of fairness and honestly the movies are boring as hell, vast majority of the characters are dull and feel there just for the sake of being there and the entire thing might as well be called Hugh Jackman and friends.

Dude, chill out!

1) Quality of Individual movies:
    Those movies are a product of their time and cannot be expected to compare to more recent films that have benefitted hugely from trial and error and market research carried out by the X-Men and Spider-Man films of the early 00s. They rely heavily on Jackman because you couldn't make films just for comic fans then, it had to bring in moviegoers who had not even heard of Marvel. With the exception of Last Stand, the early films compare well with contemporaries like Blade and Spider-Man trilogies (both of which also had very unpopular 3rd films).

2) Continuity:
    Continuity errors in the early X-Men films are a result of the fact that studios were not able to plan ahead, again because the market for superhero films was less certain than it is now or even was in 2008 when Iron Man came out (and still it's not like there aren't continuity errors in the MCU). The series needed a continuity reboot and I think a lot of us are really pleased that we got a film explaining the continuity reboot that also stood on its own merits AND fixed a few of the continuity errors in the process. The alternative route open to them was the hard reboot that Spider-Man or Fantastic Four tried and seriously hurt their brands with.

Anyway, sad to hear about current direction in comics clearly being dictated by money over story-telling. The X-Men can come back, they've practically made a catchphrase out of: "I thought you were dead?" "What can I say? I got better."

The problem with pushing the Inhumans instead is they're not very compelling or popular individual characters. KK's comic is fun, but I do not know what to expect from the Inhumans film - I find it hard to visualise moviegoers getting excited about Black Bolt, Karnak, Triton, Gorgon. Medusa has a kind of marketable power, but let's remember that the Antman film was considered the 2nd least successful of the 12 MCU films. It was a very entertaining and funny film but I'm sure we all had conversations with non comic fans where we tried to talk it up? If the Inhumans film focuses on the royal family of Inhumans how do I sell it to friends? "There's a guy who can pretty much do what he likes but can't speak, his wife controls her own hair, there's a kind of amphibious dude, a guy who can see weak points..." I guarantee my friends have changed the subject already due to lack of interest.