Zero Kelvin and you: My take on Iceman

Options
ronin_san
ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
edited September 2015 in Speculation and Concepts
Precursor. Iceman is absolutely my favorite character. There are so many ways to go with him. Do you spec him a Spiky (emma) frost-monster? Do you make him a skate-about jester? Do you make him go cold and denial ala M:TG's mono blue decks? How about him becoming the new Colossus, eg Ice Form healing his wounds and generating free blue tiles per turn?

See, Bobby is an OMEGA level mutant. He's the top 1%. He could zero Kelvin an entire city in a heartbeat. He can reform himself from water. He can spawn constructs with sentience!

So here's my take on how Bobby fits into this game.

star.pngstar.pngstar.png Iceman Marvel NOW!
51oqF5UFB6L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

purpleflag.png Cold Snap. 8 AP. Bobby likes a Pina Colada like anyone else, but thanks you for keeping the warm hugs to yourself.
Destroy 4 greentile.png tiles and Generate 8 blue tiles -->adjacent<-- to existing blue tiles. Stun one enemy one turn. At max level, stun two turns..
Tracy_Strauss_-_Cold_Snap.jpg

blueflag.png Hailstorm. 12 AP. Bobby draws upon the moisture in the air and vegetation, summoning a torrent of rain and hail. destroy all red tiles on the board, dealing 2300 damage to the enemy team. for every redtile.png destroyed, deal an additional 100 DMG.

avxvs6e+iron+fist+vs+iceman.jpg

yellowflag.png Ice constructs 9 AP. Bobby creates 1 (3 at max level) attack.png of strength 250 (450 at max level). When they are destroyed, convert one random tile to bluetile.png .
2313595-cxw_418_42.jpg

We could go so many ways with Iceman. This is simply my take. Make sense of it, + / -. Tune costs or remove abilities altogether. I welcome the discussion.

Comments

• ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Cold Snap is going to blow up the board.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Since Hailstorm is already used by Storm, change the name to Sleet or Chillstorm.

Also, since it is a storm, usually not something that ends immediately, why not make it a passive, similar to iron fists but a random 1 turn stun tile with a little damage?
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It wasn't until I started trying to come up with some powers that I truly realised just how much potential Iceman really has.
    I didn't end up devising a whole set of convoluted and tricky new abilities. Essentially, there's nothing we haven't already seen before in these powers in terms of game mechanics - just presented in a new way.

blueflag.pngAvalanche (Active Blue, 12 AP)
    Destroy up to 5 Blue tiles, dealing X damage to each enemy per tile. Does not generate AP.
    Rank 2: Destroy up to 7 Blue tiles.
    Rank 3: Also stun the enemy team for 1 turn.
    Rank 4: Also deal an additional X damage for any special Blue tile destroyed.
    Rank 5: Destroy all Blue tiles.
    Max Level: Deals 185 damage per tile, and an additional 185 for each special tile destroyed.

This is a huge AoE attack to rain destruction on the enemy team. I think at Rank 3 you're probably paying a little too much for what you get, but Rank 5 might even be undercosted if there's enough blue special tiles on the board. Of course you've also just eliminated Blue off the board, so you're probably not going to be chain casting with any great regularity.

yellowflag.pngIcewall (Active Yellow, 10 AP)
    Create a random blue protect tile (low strength).
    Rank 2: Increase strength.
    Rank 3: Create 2 random blue protect tiles.
    Rank 4: Increase strength.
    Rank 5: Create 2 random blue protect tiles and 2 random locked blue protect tiles.

This is a little sneaky, and I'm working on the assumption that Avalanche will still target the locked tiles - unlocking them, but not actually destroying them. As such, this ability protects your team but also fuels a more powerful Avalanche.

blackflag.pngThe Iceman Cometh (Passive Black)
    At the start of each turn, if there are 6 or less blue tiles on the board, add a random blue basic tile.
    Otherwise, if there are more than 6 blue tiles, convert a random blue basic tile to an attack tile of strength X.

Rank 2: Add a blue basic tile when there are 7 or less blue tiles.
    Rank 3: Add a blue basic tile when there are 8 or less blue tiles.
    Rank 4: Add two blue basic tiles when there are 10 or less blue tiles.
    Rank 5: Add two blue basic tiles when there are 10 or less blue tiles. Otherwise convert two attack tiles.

The power represents a lot of different things. It's the unavoidable eventuality of entropy, in the end heat will die out and only the cold will remain. It's the potential power of a glacier, slow but sure. It's the kind of gathering storm which makes Iceman powerful. With very little at his disposal, he will draw the very moisture out of the air, but when he's truly in his element, he can be devastating. Also, I gave it a cool name.

The blue generation seemed like a straight forward enough concept, but I needed 5 ranks and I thought that continual blue generation could maybe end up being OP. So there's a tipping point, when there's enough water/snow/ice/whatever around, Bobby doesn't need to be making more of it and the ice storm kicks in. I wanted the choice between Ranks 3, 4, and 5 to be a choice of how long a player wanted to go before the attack tiles start. At Rank 3, the storm starts with 9 blue tiles. That's the expected average, so it should kick in often enough. Ranks 4 and 5 have a higher threshold, but fill up faster. Not sure on the damage value for each attack tile, maybe 70. That's less than the damage you'd deal by matching the tile, but keeping more Blue Special tiles in play feeds Avalanche's strength.
  • ronin_san
    Options
    Mawtful wrote:
    It wasn't until I started trying to come up with some powers that I truly realised just how much potential Iceman really has.

FACT.
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Mawtful wrote:
    I didn't end up devising a whole set of convoluted and tricky new abilities. Essentially, there's nothing we haven't already seen before in these powers in terms of game mechanics - just presented in a new way.

blackflag.pngThe Iceman Cometh (Passive Black)
    At the start of each turn, if there are 6 or less blue tiles on the board, add a random blue basic tile.
    Otherwise, if there are more than 6 blue tiles, convert a random blue basic tile to an attack tile of strength X.

Rank 2: Add a blue basic tile when there are 7 or less blue tiles.
    Rank 3: Add a blue basic tile when there are 8 or less blue tiles.
    Rank 4: Add two blue basic tiles when there are 10 or less blue tiles.
    Rank 5: Add two blue basic tiles when there are 10 or less blue tiles. Otherwise convert two attack tiles.

The power represents a lot of different things. It's the unavoidable eventuality of entropy, in the end heat will die out and only the cold will remain. It's the potential power of a glacier, slow but sure. It's the kind of gathering storm which makes Iceman powerful. With very little at his disposal, he will draw the very moisture out of the air, but when he's truly in his element, he can be devastating. Also, I gave it a cool name.

The blue generation seemed like a straight forward enough concept, but I needed 5 ranks and I thought that continual blue generation could maybe end up being OP. So there's a tipping point, when there's enough water/snow/ice/whatever around, Bobby doesn't need to be making more of it and the ice storm kicks in. I wanted the choice between Ranks 3, 4, and 5 to be a choice of how long a player wanted to go before the attack tiles start. At Rank 3, the storm starts with 9 blue tiles. That's the expected average, so it should kick in often enough. Ranks 4 and 5 have a higher threshold, but fill up faster. Not sure on the damage value for each attack tile, maybe 70. That's less than the damage you'd deal by matching the tile, but keeping more Blue Special tiles in play feeds Avalanche's strength.

I would make this more of a Doom trap tile type, randomly adds 1 blue tile at the beginning of each round, regardless of how many blues are on the board. 2nd cover, adds 2. 3rd cover adds 2 w/ 1 being a protect, 4th cover adds 2, w/ them being 1 protect, 1 attack/strike, 5th cover Gains AP for the tiles replaces (if it covers 1 red and 1 black, gain 1 red and 1 black AP)
  • ronin_san
    Options
    Scarlet Witch's new purple generating ability is what I dream Iceman gets in blue.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Why not do a passive power like quick silver except it would just freeze over?
    Or why not make a blue power that shatters the whole board like white suit magneto. I mean iceman did literally freeze hell over so why not freeze the whole board? Or make one of his ice powers more powerful with each blue tile on the board or each frozen tile on the board?
    As far as damage and what else to work out is beyond me but in my opinion powers and abilities in this game still kinda come out the same
  • ronin_san
    Options
    ....at least I got the cover art right.
  • Malcrof
    Options
    ronin-san wrote:
    ....at least I got the cover art right.

Your purpleflag.png and blueflag.png were insanely close.

I think you may have actually influenced him some. We know they read these!