Colognoisseur's Ranking of 4* Updated: 10/19

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Added Sam Wilson and Mr. Fantastic to the rankings. Also significant shift at the top. Explanation is attached to the first post.
    Pretty shocked to see Mr. F so high. Yes, he can heal a lot, but how is he helping you win? The comment you made about Sam, "He just sits there pumping out protect tiles" could apply to him as well. Is his stun really more useful than having another nuke or an ap support character?
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    Pretty shocked to see Mr. F so high. Yes, he can heal a lot, but how is he helping you win? The comment you made about Sam, "He just sits there pumping out protect tiles" could apply to him as well. Is his stun really more useful than having another nuke or an ap support character?

As a support character with essentially cheap stun in 4* land with the added bonus of health plus if they get matched away he heals. Three turn stun I used a lot in PvE and PvP. If it is 1v1 Mr. Fantastic v. someone more offensive maybe not. In PvE versus two goons feeding an active you can stun the active and get that ap diverted to cds. He is not top tier but I think he is an upper mid-tier character.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    simonsez wrote:

As a support character with essentially cheap stun in 4* land with the added bonus of health plus if they get matched away he heals. Three turn stun I used a lot in PvE and PvP. If it is 1v1 Mr. Fantastic v. someone more offensive maybe not. In PvE versus two goons feeding an active you can stun the active and get that ap diverted to cds. He is not top tier but I think he is an upper mid-tier character.

With Iceman coming, I see MRF falling, not rising. They gave Ice a better stun with the chance of doing real damage. That's going to be a lot more valuable than his true heal and a black power that doesn't really shine.

The requirement of having FF characters in the party to gather green AP makes him more situational.
  • simonsez wrote:

last rankings you moved carnage up because of 'what was to come'. Were you thinking him + fantastic would be a game changer?
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    I don't see Kingpin being ranked over 4Pool. I find KP to be an annoyance to play against, but when I'm playing against a 4Pool, I actually go into the roster to see how he's covered (because 5 black covers totally changes how I'm going to play him).

On O his red at max does incredible damage and heals up all the tanked damage. His passive ranges from an annoyance to a big threat, and his purple can deny you the strongest color that you need. On O or on D, 4Pool just seems like a much bigger threat than Kingpin... especially since you can pair him with Thing or Hulkbuster who are also top 5 4*s.

I also see XFW having a comeback by getting more playing time with 4Pool. The only thing scarier than seeing a 4Pool/Thing/XFW matchup is seeing a maxed out Silver Surfer hanging out with 2 1*s.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    It seems more and more like kingpin rather hard to rank. I have been playing with him a fair amount as, thanks to women of marvel, I am now up to 12 covers (a less than ideal 3/4/5 build though).

The more i play him, the more I agree someone's (colog I think) that he is 4* lazy thor. He is very strong, but I don't often feel like is the best solution available. He is a great 3rd wheel, as a damage sponge and backup damage dealer, but he rarely cracks the top 2 of my team-building choices. Which makes his utility in PvP limited.

I think it's mostly just speed, his powers are cheaper than, for example, 4*deadpool (black 6 v. Purple 7, yellow 10 v. Red 13) but they aren't actually faster. Yellow takes several turns to work even after it is cast. And black isn't fully effective unless you have used some other method to produce countdown.

So at the moment, I side with Buret on kingpin, he should be below 4*deadpool.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    After having Hulkbuster and Prof X as co #1's for this month one has tumbled to #6 and the other is #2.
    I'm sorry, but I have a hard time taking your ranking seriously when both your Hulkbuster and Professor X are built 5/3/5.

Professor X I can understand because your build is probably the best one if you don't want to abuse Master Plan with GSBW and/or Scarlet Witch but I'm absolutely dumb-founded that you think 5/3/5 Hulkbuster is better than 5/5/3. I'd go with 3/5/5 Hulkbuster before I'd chose 5/3/5.

I also completely disagree with your Fury build of 3/5/5--maybe this is why you rank him so low.
  • simonsez
    vudu3 wrote:
    I'm absolutely dumb-founded that you think 5/3/5 Hulkbuster is better than 5/5/3.
    It would make sense if you never use his black.
  • vudu3
    Why wouldn't you use his black?! It's his best ability!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    vudu3 wrote:
    Why wouldn't you use his black?! It's his best ability!

Well his black wouldn't be his best best power if he didn't also have a great red ability; it is a pure support power.

But it is definitely the reason that he kicks **** in pvp, especially now that jg punishes tile switching powers that can create match 5s.
  • simonsez
    vudu3 wrote:
    Why wouldn't you use his black?!
    If you use him with someone with a better black.
  • vudu3
    Who would you run with Hulkbuster that has a better black? Cyclops' black is pretty rad but you're not likely to run him with Hulkbuster since they both share red and black. Looking at Colognoisseur's own 4* ranking, the only other characters with active black abilities in his top 10 are Kingpin and Mr. Fantastic. And as much as I love poking people I don't think he's a good reason to consider a 5/3/5 Hulkbuster.

Besides, Colognoisseur has the following 4* characters with 5 red covers--Hulkbuster (#2), The Thing (#4) Deadpool (#5), Thor (#7), Carnage (#10), Sam Wilson (#11), Elektra (#14), and Devil Dino (#17). He's obviously not too worried about color overlap.
  • simonsez
    vudu3 wrote:
    Who would you run with Hulkbuster that has a better black?
    Me? I generally don't, but Colog has used HB/KP
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    @vudu I agree my builds are different than others but they suit what I need to do to allow my style of play to succeed. It is clear you have a different style of play and as such you are right my rankings are meaningless to you because of that. If you read the first paragraph after the rankings I clearly state this is just my opinion. It is not meant to be definitive it is just my view. Your differences are valid and as Buret0 did earlier you can post your ranking and allow for further discussion. The only reason I do this is so I don't have to answer the question via pm multiple times.

@barrok yes I thought there was a potential killer team with carnage and mr. F. I was wrong just like Ant Man carnage it doesn't work as well on paper as it does in-game.
  • vudu3
    I can respect different build choices. My Star-Lord is 5/3/5 and yours is 5/5/3. Different strokes for different folks. But you may be the only sane person in the world who opted for a 5/3/5 Hulkbuster. (Maybe sane is a bit much, considering how much money you've spent on this game.) icon_e_biggrin.gif

My apologies if I came off as a bit harsh. No disrespect was intended. The decision is just baffling to me.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Given the comments, I'm guessing the style in question is one of sustainability. PX's squishy-ness, Sam's protect tiles, HB's blue, higher than (forum) average rankings of Kingpin, Fantastic, Thing lead me to think this is based on a limited healthpack use style that can sustain across all 3 platforms when necessary (LR, PvP, PvE).

I only have about 1/2 of them covered so can't give worthwhile opinions to the contrary, but obviously he's doing something right. I'd probably keep HB above Jean because though I don't have her, I would think self-acceleration would always be the strongest option.
  • For 4* defense, I try to avoid these:
    #1 Jean Grey: match-5 is all I got in the play style department, and she takes that away
    #2 Fury: if the blue gets cast, I'm screwed
    #3 4Thor: with charged tiles, her powers become cheap and deadly
    #4 Elektra: her red and black are harsh
    #5 Ant-man: things can get out of hand
    #6 Carnage: guaranteed damage: can't ace a match against him

I've had to face Thing, XDP, and HB many times and feel like I can defeat them more often than not.
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    I expect to see sam wilson towards the top next time once iceman comes out. At least on paper, iceman, sam, and scarlet witch seem like they will be an absolute terror.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I expect to see sam wilson towards the top next time once iceman comes out. At least on paper, iceman, sam, and scarlet witch seem like they will be an absolute terror.
    Sam's and Bobby's blues have absolutely terrible synergy. It's not a deal breaker, but you need to be aware that if you plan to Punch a Snowman you need to have 12 AP gathered before unleashing the power, otherwise gathering more blue AP just means the snowman vanishes faster.
  • simonsez
    For 4* defense, I try to avoid these:
    #1 Jean Grey: match-5 is all I got in the play style department, and she takes that away
    #2 Fury: if the blue gets cast, I'm screwed
    #3 4Thor: with charged tiles, her powers become cheap and deadly
    #4 Elektra: her red and black are harsh
    #5 Ant-man: things can get out of hand
    #6 Carnage: guaranteed damage: can't ace a match against him

I've had to face Thing, XDP, and HB many times and feel like I can defeat them more often than not.
    Elektra is more of a scarecrow than Carnage, HB, XDP? Does anyone here with a maxed Elektra find this to be true? (does anyone have a maxed Elektra??)