5-Star Rarity & Silver Surfer Announcement! (In-Depth)

Comments

• slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 2,950 Chairperson of the Boards
    This will really put a bigger gap between the newbies and vets what do i mean by that. First when i saw this i though Well at least if they cant score 1300 pts in PVP they could always get the reward in PVE, Then i started thinking ummm unless you have all 3 ess people needed for the PVE your not going to get 2x progression.

So if you dont have the 4 star needed for the PVE i dont think they will earn enough ... Just wondering how many have hit 2x or 2.5X the final reward without having all 3 people. Now i know top 50 is doable with 2 but im talking about 2x progression. unless we are talking major insane grinding down to 1s
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can we get a red name comment on something Ice mentioned in the line q&a:

Are characters really going to be sorted into tank/standard/support classes moving forward? (5*s first and then backsorting for existing characters) With match damage being adjusted by class (so tanks do more damage and supports do less). This is a very interesting idea.

If true, is SS standard, or support? Or is the system dynamic, so player can assign roles to different chracters before each match?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
    Isay_Isay wrote:
    Will Devil Dino be a part of the 4* Deadpool Dailies or are they still limited to anniversary events?
    Nope. Devil Dino stands alone.
  • moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    IceIX wrote:
    Philly79 wrote:
    So the same as the current 3* ddq node, correct? That would be a nice choice on the chance we don't need that cover, thanks!
    Yes, but it's a 1v1 faceoff for the most part. So no bringing in Kamala Khan and Hood to do the dirty work while Professor X hangs around and invises.

Imagine if Professor X is in a 1 on 1 face off against any other hero with a high hit point value.

Wouldn't that render the match either near impossible or extremely long due to relying solely on match damage or pure luck with master plan?

Psychic Convergence - yellowflag.png passive skill - only works for doing damage when allies fire an ability (or from a TU) and ONLY if you have him at 4 yellow covers (which will generate a single strike and/or attack tile if you have 5 covers).

Master Plan - blueflag.png passive skill - depends on match-5s, but since both player and AI will probably be moving tiles, it will be quite difficult or luck based (unless you bring a long a GSBW TU or a MN Mags TU).

Blind Spot - purpleflag.png active skill - will stall the game for "hopefully" a long time by becoming invisible - only buffing special tiles created from your single TU.

And knowing the devs, they'll throw Jean Grey icon_jeangrey.png as the single 1v1 faceoff target against PX - neutering both his master plan ability and invisibility due to her AoE attacks. gl hf? icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Four words: Berserker Rage Team-Up.

(Or Deceptive Tactics, if the rival's HP is low enough)
  • Four words: Berserker Rage Team-Up.

I'm skeptical if they allow teamups....Everyone know how they like to prevent you from whaling big, fat, unfair nodes icon_twisted.gif
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    simonsez wrote:
    Omega Red wrote:
    Hitting the 1300 will be cheaper over time as more players will have access to the four star characters that help you do that climb.
    So you're saying that once anyone can beat anyone, it'll be easier to get high scores? Sorry, but we already get a taste of that in BOP and Combined Arms, and it's always much harder to hit high scores in that. Partly because players don't shield as much off-season, but mostly because there's no safe float score, since everyone can beat everyone.

By the time everyone has four star characters covered and leveled the top players will be well into their 5 star transition, thus placing the highest scores well beyond the 1300 mark. It's the same progression principle you see in the 4 star transition. If you completed the 3 star transition you no longer need to shield at 500 points but the guy who has a 2 star roster in development still has to. You only need to shield so much right now to reach 1300 because most of rosters are barely starting their 4 star transitions and 1300 is end game right now. Now that a new 5 star tier has been introduced the ceiling has been moved higher and end game will be 1800 or 2000. Once you have completed the 4 star transition you will only need to start shielding at say, 1500 or something.

Assuming no major changes are introduced to the pvp system, of course.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Can we get a red name comment on something Ice mentioned in the line q&a:

Are characters really going to be sorted into tank/standard/support classes moving forward? (5*s first and then backsorting for existing characters) With match damage being adjusted by class (so tanks do more damage and supports do less). This is a very interesting idea.

If true, is SS standard, or support? Or is the system dynamic, so player can assign roles to different chracters before each match?
    He's currently standard. The system is not dynamic, but that's an interesting idea. It would add UI complexity and be confusing to users that don't quite get what it's for (why on earth would I make my guy weaker? Everyone gets the 25% buff!) and it'd probably result in some rebalances for implementation. I could see some kind of tile destruction w/damage ability being 25% more broken with 25% more power.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    slidecage wrote:
    This will really put a bigger gap between the newbies and vets what do i mean by that. First when i saw this i though Well at least if they cant score 1300 pts in PVP they could always get the reward in PVE, Then i started thinking ummm unless you have all 3 ess people needed for the PVE your not going to get 2x progression.

So if you dont have the 4 star needed for the PVE i dont think they will earn enough ... Just wondering how many have hit 2x or 2.5X the final reward without having all 3 people. Now i know top 50 is doable with 2 but im talking about 2x progression. unless we are talking major insane grinding down to 1s

Why a newbie with 100 days of playing should be able to compete for top rewards with 600+ day veterans? The longer this game exists the broader the gap will be and that makes perfect sense. The newbie should not be aiming for 4, 5 star rewards, but 2 and 3 stars. This game is about progression and there are rewards for all levels of players but posts like yours indicate that some players only want a chance to win top reward, even if they don't have the roster to earn it or the HP and ISO to make good use of it.
  • Omega Red wrote:

Why a newbie with 100 days of playing should be able to compete for top rewards with 600+ day veterans?

Because they have to, if they want to progress. The 600 day vets will happily shove those newbs down the totem pole below what's needed to advance for a chance to earn whatever is at the top. If you don't have a chance of competing with the vets, nothing "trickles down" to help you rise up, the vet either gets the 4 star they're aiming for, or they get 3 star covers to sell for ISO.

And you have to do it, because if you -don't- earn those essentials, you're handicapped on the next event and earning even less points.
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    IceIX wrote:
    Isay_Isay wrote:
    Will Devil Dino be a part of the 4* Deadpool Dailies or are they still limited to anniversary events?
    Nope. Devil Dino stands alone.

If only they brought back downvotes...
  • Vhailorx
    IceIX wrote:
    He's currently standard. The system is not dynamic, but that's an interesting idea. It would add UI complexity and be confusing to users that don't quite get what it's for (why on earth would I make my guy weaker? Everyone gets the 25% buff!) and it'd probably result in some rebalances for implementation. I could see some kind of tile destruction w/damage ability being 25% more broken with 25% more power.

There would be some re-balancing problems to be sure. I think the obvious mechanism would be to use the boost system. You could even make "tanking" and "supporting" consumable goods. Then players could weigh the value of using a "support" consumable on Hood to make sure that he doesn't tank any of his colors, giving him maximum utility. Or they could choose to "tank" gamora or vision so that they can really really leverage their black and blue powers respectively.

Forcing players to choose between role-based consumables and team ups and traditional boosts would really limit the impact that the change could have on high level play (where most people already use some form of boosting, and would be reluctant to change tactics while shield hopping). And you could use the healthpack model, so everyone has 1-3 "tank" and "support" boosts that replenish at a steady rate, but they can also acquire more from match rewards and token drops.

It would definitely add some complexity to the game. But as aesthetocyst said, this game is already quite complex, and many of its nuances go unnoticed by less experienced players. I, for one, really enjoy the complexity; it's always been the best thing about the puzzle quest brand.
  • 20three
    20three Posts: 371
    f this, seriously.
  • raisinbman wrote:

I'm skeptical if they allow teamups....Everyone know how they like to prevent you from whaling big, fat, unfair nodes icon_twisted.gif
    Ice said team ups and boosts will be allowed and the AI will have one TU too as usual.
  • ShionSinX wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

Ice said team ups and boosts will be allowed and the AI will have one TU too as usual.
    so....after all that talk we can simply super-whale in these nodes.

I don't trust it...considering how the Gauntlet works....
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

so....after all that talk we can simply super-whale in these nodes.

I don't trust it...considering how the Gauntlet works....

I have over 400,000 DP Points saved up so 14 whales! I can finally put them to good use because all of my 4*'s only have a few covers.. time to ask for DP T/Us!
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    When I first started reading, I was disappointed. I kept reading and saw there was to be a 4* DDQ, so I felt a bit better. Then I read some more details about the DDQ 4*, and now I'm disappointed again. You open up a new, higher tier, when most players can't get into the previous highest tier. And your initial attempt to ameliorate that situation, doesn't appear that it will be at all effective. If I still have to get multiple 4* covers by other means, in order to have a chance in the upcoming DDQ 4*, then I am no better off than I was before. Disappointing.
  • Konman wrote:
    When I first started reading, I was disappointed. I kept reading and saw there was to be a 4* DDQ, so I felt a bit better. Then I read some more details about the DDQ 4*, and now I'm disappointed again. You open up a new, higher tier, when most players can't get into the previous highest tier. And your initial attempt to ameliorate that situation, doesn't appear that it will be at all effective. If I still have to get multiple 4* covers by other means, in order to have a chance in the upcoming DDQ 4*, then I am no better off than I was before. Disappointing.
    im really frustrated right now, couldn't even hit 1k points for elektra in army of one...I think what you're saying here is the best way to express that without me getting reported/banned again
  • Vhailorx
    raisinbman wrote:
    Konman wrote:
    im really frustrated right now, couldn't even hit 1k points for elektra in army of one...I think what you're saying here is the best way to express that without me getting reported/banned again

I think this army of one was a particularly tricky PVP for those without strong 4* rosters. Punisher is always a bloody featured character because he has multiple cheap powers that all do a decent amount of damage. He doesn't often produce outright defeat, but he makes every victory painful. It's very hard to deny him all of his colors while also fueling your own offense.

Moreover, the 3*s boosted this week exacerbated that problem. none of the top tiers were boosted (cage, cyclops, switch, bp, kk, etc). Instead you got daken and patch, both of whom extend matches via their regen, and also tend to produce fair bit of damage without actually letting the ai win.

All of which means that this event was very taxing on healthpacks.

As for the introduction of 5*s, if you aren't already whaling, then you have to accept that there will ALWAYS be a tier of play beyond you. It's impossible for the game to survive otherwise, as the devs need to have content that is a challenge for the biggest whale and the newest newb. So 4*s won't be made easier to get for the masses until there is another tier above them to satisfy the whales (just like ddq wasn't introduced until the 4* release rate ticked up in the spring of '15). It will be the same next year for 6*s (if the game lasts that long). It's a perpetual treadmill and the only way to get to the top tier of play WHILE IT IS STILL THE TOP TIER is to pay. Otherwise you can just wait and be content knowing that you will always be a little bit behind the whales.
  • Vhailorx wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Konman wrote:

I think this army of one was a particularly tricky PVP for those without strong 4* rosters. Punisher is always a bloody featured character because he has multiple cheap powers that all do a decent amount of damage. He doesn't often produce outright defeat, but he makes every victory painful. It's very hard to deny him all of his colors while also fueling your own offense.

Moreover, the 3*s boosted this week exacerbated that problem. none of the top tiers were boosted (cage, cyclops, switch, bp, kk, etc). Instead you got daken and patch, both of whom extend matches via their regen, and also tend to produce fair bit of damage without actually letting the ai win.

All of which means that this event was very taxing on healthpacks.

As for the introduction of 5*s, if you aren't already whaling, then you have to accept that there will ALWAYS be a tier of play beyond you. It's impossible for the game to survive otherwise, as the devs need to have content that is a challenge for the biggest whale and the newest newb. So 4*s won't be made easier to get for the masses until there is another tier above them to satisfy the whales (just like ddq wasn't introduced until the 4* release rate ticked up in the spring of '15). It will be the same next year for 6*s (if the game lasts that long). It's a perpetual treadmill and the only way to get to the top tier of play WHILE IT IS STILL THE TOP TIER is to pay. Otherwise you can just wait and be content knowing that you will always be a little bit behind the whales.

I guess I should just be happy my prof x has 4 blue cuz it doesn't seem like I'll be "covering" any other 4*(that matters) anytime soon.