5-Star Rarity & Silver Surfer Announcement! (In-Depth)

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hello, Marvel Puzzle Quest
    • One of the 4-Stars in the Deadpool Daily Quest Vault is replaced with a Legendary Token (starting on 9/11).

Why couldn't they just add the Legendary Token without replacing a 4*? Do we really need to continue to pull 2*'s now that 5*'s are coming? It's time to dilute the 2* pulls just a tad.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Haetron wrote:
    Raffoon wrote:

Actually, they mentioned that the rate of 5* drawing would increase as the first 3 5*s were introduced. So, 10% for a 5* then 15%, as the new ones are released.

They did NOT say this.

They stated that once an additional character is added, the percentage will increase to 10%.

Edit: Well let me clarify. They did not state that the percentage would increase 5 percent per character released, but they did not specifically state that would continue with the third character, and the impression I got was that it will be a 90/10 split on the tokens going forward after the second 5 star character.

You're absolutely right, I thought I'd heard them say the pattern would continue for the first 3 5*s, but going back to listen again they never actually say anything past 10/90.

My bad!

extrapolating.png

"David wrote:
    Moore"]Hello, Marvel Puzzle Quest
    • One of the 4-Stars in the Deadpool Daily Quest Vault is replaced with a Legendary Token (starting on 9/11).

Why couldn't they just add the Legendary Token without replacing a 4*? Do we really need to continue to pull 2*'s now that 5*'s are coming? It's time to dilute the 2* pulls just a tad.

Good point. A lot of these spaces where Legendaries are fitting are replacing previous 4*s instead of adding. As people begin collecting more 4*s, the fact that there are less pre-set ones that you can set your sights on will become more of a consideration. Overall these are still positive changes to the distribution, but it's important to note that.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Raffoon wrote:
    Actually, they mentioned that the rate of 5* drawing would increase as the first 3 5*s were introduced. So, 10% for a 5* then 15%, as the new ones are released.
    I heard them say it would go to 10% with the second release, but did they definitely say it would hit 15% after that?

edit: Nevermind, this was answered above.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    The fact that you cannot stun him, he gathers tons of AP and he self heals sounds insane. Surprised 5*s aren't by themselves with 4-5 abilities. Curious to see what just 1 cover can do since they said 1 cover makes him usable for ur B Team.

Bravo Weapon 16 purpletile.png AP
    Pilot the giant mech: Bravo Weapon. Sacrifice 100% of all party health. Bravo Weapon has double the maximum health of the sacrificed health and is healed to full. Bravo weapon's match damage is equal to double the sum of all party match damage. Ignores all status change effects. Bravo Weapon has no AP abilities.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Consumes 5 random AP at the start of your turn to deal X damage to all enemies. Level 3: Consumes 5
    redtile.png AP at the start of your turn to deal Y redtile.png damage to all enemies.
    Level 4: Consumes 5 yellowtile.png AP at the start of your turn to heal 5% of maximum health.
    Level 5: Bravo Weapon's match damage is equal to triple the sum of all party match damage.
  • Dayv
    K8ee wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    For five-star characters, the leveling button will be replaced with a circular gesture you make on the screen or with your mouse. Each circle adds 100 ISO.

Instead of increasing iso, is it possible to get a wheel to choose a level you want to jump to, which you can spin up and down then 'confirm'? This would be useful for all star.png levels and also let people easily see the cost of getting to level x so they can plan things out.
    Note: I was joking.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    PvP: Per-event, this is a wash, since the guaranteed 4* at 1300 is being replaced with a 4*-or-better Legendary token.

Not a wash at all. If one needs the cover at 1300, you're willing to spend 500-600 HP in shields to get it. With a token prize on the other hand, if you have most of the 4*s covered already, you might not want to spend that much HP if there's an 80-90% chance that all you'll get is 1000 ISO. Sure, you've now got a chance at a 5*, but with a 5% drop rate, are they really worth 10-12k HP each?

I'd like to see each Legendary token have only a subset of 4*s (made known in advance), otherwise the 4* dilution is going to mean 4* progress is essentially randomized. Beyond the 1000 point covers (which now come around once every two PvP seasons and the initial PvE, there's no way to target a specific character for advancement. This would still be random, but at least it would be less so.

IW is going to become the new Moonstone.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    59,347 health? And only does 1,171 damage per AP on one damage ability at level 450? If the new meta will someday be 5*s, tripling the health, giving them massive healing, and not giving us a way to actually damage them with abilities? So... we are going to be doing 1,700 match damage? I suppose the Charged Tiles doing extra damage is going to be part of the meta when you are doing that kind of match damage.

Auto skip and eventually completely destroys PvP.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    Raffoon wrote:
    I heard them say it would go to 10% with the second release, but did they definitely say it would hit 15% after that?

edit: Nevermind, this was answered above.

In an online chat, IceIX stated it would start at 5%, go to 10% on release of the 2nd 5*, and stay at 10% even with the release of the 3rd 5*.

Specifically he said: "So, 5%, 5%(x2), 3.3%(x3)"

Through all the discussions, it appears the "release" of each 5* will be in the form of updates to the tokens.
    sounds like best strategy is to wait until it bumps to 10% with the second release, then pull your tokens.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    For five-star characters, the leveling button will be replaced with a circular gesture you make on the screen or with your mouse. Each circle adds 100 ISO.

rewind_futurama.gif
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    When they say on the 5th day DDQ 1 v 1 battle, is it actually expecting one required star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png facing another fellow (AI) star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png / star.pngstar.pngstar.png ?
  • Dayv
    I hope Devil Dinosaur is included in the DDQ 4* rotation!

I just want a reason to use the big guy. I've been leveling him anyway, for reasons I can't fully explain beyond "come on, Devil Dinosaur is awesome!"
  • Hey IceIX, can we see the 5* pull image? Like the 4*, it has the white glow ring around the shield icon, what does 5* look like?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    SolidQ wrote:
    What effect on 5* when open token? If 2* Silver, 3* gold, 4* pulsating gold icon_e_smile.gif
    Purple cosmic-looking 5* token, blasting lightning on open.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Can't complain. This will help me catch up faster with the whales and their maxed four stars. Not being able to buy five star toons will be HUGE. Question is, how long will that last? icon_twisted.gif
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    simonsez wrote:
    PvP: Per-event, this is a wash, since the guaranteed 4* at 1300 is being replaced with a 4*-or-better Legendary token.
    Not a wash at all. If one needs the cover at 1300, you're willing to spend 500-600 HP in shields to get it. With a token prize on the other hand, if you have most of the 4*s covered already, you might not want to spend that much HP if there's an 80-90% chance that all you'll get is 1000 ISO. Sure, you've now got a chance at a 5*, but with a 5% drop rate, are they really worth 10-12k HP each?

Hitting the 1300 will be cheaper over time as more players will have access to the four star characters that help you do that climb. 1000 points will be the new 700 points where you don't need to shield at all unless you are in a dry bracket.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Omega Red wrote:
    Hitting the 1300 will be cheaper over time as more players will have access to the four star characters that help you do that climb.
    So you're saying that once anyone can beat anyone, it'll be easier to get high scores? Sorry, but we already get a taste of that in BOP and Combined Arms, and it's always much harder to hit high scores in that. Partly because players don't shield as much off-season, but mostly because there's no safe float score, since everyone can beat everyone.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    So here is my concern:

5 star rarity is supposed to be "A-team" with even a few covers...even if you have lots of 4*'s, right?

So 1*/2* players get the easy scaling PVE's for awhile....and start earning these 5*'s, and using them exclusively for the rest of their playtime. No need to get 3* or 4*, though the 5* will slowly let them fill-in those other roster spots.

I'm already bored of playing HB every match, every event, for the last four months. I'm already bored of playing against JG for a bulk of the matches, every event, for the last two months. Now not only are you (the player) going to have to play 5*'s forever (mostly the first few, which will be the easiest to get multiple covers of), but you're going to have to play -against- them forever also.

I'm not optimistic, but I sincerely hope there will be game modes that require other characters still. I hope there will be game modes where 3*'s are still relevant. They are half of the roster slots, the game has been "built" around getting a large roster of them highly leveled to compete in PVP. It would be a shame to see them simply tossed off rosters left and right, like is being done with 2*'s since they became irrelevant with the scaling that the 4* world brought about.
  • simonsez wrote:
    Omega Red wrote:
    Hitting the 1300 will be cheaper over time as more players will have access to the four star characters that help you do that climb.
    So you're saying that once anyone can beat anyone, it'll be easier to get high scores? Sorry, but we already get a taste of that in BOP and Combined Arms, and it's always much harder to hit high scores in that. Partly because players don't shield as much off-season, but mostly because there's no safe float score, since everyone can beat everyone.
    Definitely is harder because of the number of people not shielding and not shooting for 3k scores.

I don't quite like that we lose the #1/1k/1.3k for each character idea.

How about adding the legendary tokens on the season rewards?

At 1300 you get one, 2600 another, 3900 a third one. Essentially the same but leaving the pvp rewards untouched.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Shion, you are way too generous.

Legendary tokens are in the season rewards. 1 only, at 10k.

1300 is likely to remain a pain to achieve as will whatever ends up being the final prog reward. The problem is that people play to the final prog and then shield for the vast majority of the remaining time, or just fall back down. At least up through 1k, there are still a decent number of 30 point matches, if not 50+. But up at 1.1k+, the main problems are finding people to hit and juggling the hassle of shield cooldowns. That won't change until and unless another prog is added above 1300, which will force more players to keep climbing.

Sure, a few whales play to 2k, but queueing them without coordination is tricky, so they don't have, much impact on the broader pool of players.
  • Sorry, I meant season progression.

So instead of removing the 4* from 1300 we give a legendary token for 1300 on season and every other 1300 points. Keep.the rest of the rewards and just don't add one token at 10k. 8th token would be achieved at 10.1k season score, which means getting 1300 in the 8th event.