5-Star Rarity & Silver Surfer Announcement! (In-Depth)

Comments

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
    slidecage wrote:
    will you be able to earn the 4 star tokens in gaunlet or just pure PVP/PVEs

Also do you know

HULK PVE will the 4 star ess be Reed or will it be a random 4 star needed since gaunlet takes place after hunt
    Ultron's Gauntlet will be coming out before Silver Surfer, so no Legendary Tokens. Any future Gauntlets or Sims may well have Legendary Token prizes.

Hulk is currently set to require Goddess Thor, who is the final progression for Gauntlet.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 2,950 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    slidecage wrote:
    will you be able to earn the 4 star tokens in gaunlet or just pure PVP/PVEs

Also do you know

HULK PVE will the 4 star ess be Reed or will it be a random 4 star needed since gaunlet takes place after hunt
    Ultron's Gauntlet will be coming out before Silver Surfer, so no Legendary Tokens. Any future Gauntlets or Sims may well have Legendary Token prizes.

Hulk is currently set to require Goddess Thor, who is the final progression for Gauntlet.

thanks for that info.... should of added after this gaunlet That take a lot of pressure off this PVE.. I mean Reed will not be required for a least a month or more on a pve, but then might be able to pull them from a token
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    IceIX wrote:
    Are we talking half way covered or just 4* with 1-3 covers because that's a massive difference.
    Here's my current roster, for reference:
    http://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/IceIX/

Geez, do you even know how to play this game?! icon_mrgreen.gif

I kid! No question here, I just want to commend you for your patience and activity in this thread. Thank you for being thorough in answering questions, it's been an incredible help, and has alleviated some of my concerns.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    By the usage of "Legendary PACKS" in this post, should I autocorrect to "L TOKENS"?
  • Philly79 wrote:
    nwman wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Philly79 wrote:
    So the same as the current 3* ddq node, correct? That would be a nice choice on the chance we don't need that cover, thanks!
    Yes, but it's a 1v1 faceoff for the most part. So no bringing in Kamala Khan and Hood to do the dirty work while Professor X hangs around and invises.

Are we going to be facing 5/5/5 4* in this face-off?

I hope to not see any 555 chars lol! ATM only 13 covers are allowed per char
    The AI is allowed 15 covers and can go to level 395(Ultron can go to 405), bub.

also good on the devs for doing a text transcript...I remember the last few videos, hearing-impaired folks would ask for it.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    saga wrote:
    What do you get from selling a 5*?
    The eternal rage of people who haven't pulled one yet?
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    anyone else see this a the start of the death of PVE

figure out 3 weeks let say

7 day 4 day 3 day 7 day. = 4 pve tokens with tons of hours to play
    21 days = 9 tokens + 1 for top 100 + 1 for 10k 11 tokens

PVE will pull 4 tokens per season
    PVP can pull up to 11 tokens per season with a lot less playtime

How's this any different than the current situation? PVP is already your event-to-go for 4*s (you can get up to 21 not even counting those awarded for placement). THis just solidifies even more the proposition. PVE has long ago be reduced to be just the best way to gather new characters and ISO, and the game didn't implode because it.
    Cyclopes wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Philly79 wrote:
    What levels can we expect for the 4* in ddq?
    Still being tweaked, but expect "Level ouch". The idea is that you're going to need a real live 4* character in there, and a 1/0/0 70 is going to have an extremely difficult time of it.
    So basically the strong get stronger and the weak get weaker.

No, the weaker get to play and train in the special playgrounds provided for them so they can one day be strong too. Now, if what you want is to be able to go from 1*-3* to jump directly to compete for 5*s against the people that have been playing for over a year, yeah, I have nothing to say to you.
    Cyclopes wrote:
    I was going to get excited about this 4* DDQ thing. But then they said that it's basically going to be impossible for anyone with a primarily 3* roster. I mean I have plenty of 4* characters. But the only ones with a cover in every color are xforce/thoress/fury and none of them are significant at this point. Everyone else has one or two covers at best. I can't get covers at this point in PVP. I cap out at 800. So I was hoping that this would help me transition well into having more 4*s but that's obviously not the case.

For top end PVP players this is certainly good news. But for people like me, it basically means, either you spend money or you get nowhere in this game. I guess that's how it's always been though hasn't it?

For you, nothing has changed, the plan is still the same: use your 3 stars to gather 4*s at PVP 1k points progression reward. Then eventually you'll have enough covers in your 4*s to participate and win in those Deadpool events, and so on. It's all a progression. The fact that they added another tier of competition several levels above your current doesn't affect you.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX, does the fact that we now have a 5* tier, means that we can dream of 4* PVPs? (i.e. PVPs that are exactly the same as the current but replacing 3* in both required characters and rewards across the board with 4*s and replacing rewarded 4*s with Legendary tokens.)
  • IceIX
    Pylgrim wrote:
    IceIX, does the fact that we now have a 5* tier, means that we can dream of 4* PVPs? (i.e. PVPs that are exactly the same as the current but replacing 3* in both required characters and rewards across the board with 4*s and replacing rewarded 4*s with Legendary tokens.)
    You may begin dreaming. Not that I really stopped you before, but yeah. Those dreams may have more substance at this point.
  • slidecage
    Pylgrim wrote:
    slidecage wrote:
    anyone else see this a the start of the death of PVE

figure out 3 weeks let say

7 day 4 day 3 day 7 day. = 4 pve tokens with tons of hours to play
    21 days = 9 tokens + 1 for top 100 + 1 for 10k 11 tokens

PVE will pull 4 tokens per season
    PVP can pull up to 11 tokens per season with a lot less playtime

How's this any different than the current situation? PVP is already your event-to-go for 4*s (you can get up to 21 not even counting those awarded for placement). THis just solidifies even more the proposition. PVE has long ago be reduced to be just the best way to gather new characters and ISO, and the game didn't implode because it.
    Cyclopes wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Philly79 wrote:
    What levels can we expect for the 4* in ddq?
    Still being tweaked, but expect "Level ouch". The idea is that you're going to need a real live 4* character in there, and a 1/0/0 70 is going to have an extremely difficult time of it.
    So basically the strong get stronger and the weak get weaker.

No, the weaker get to play and train in the special playgrounds provided for them so they can one day be strong too. Now, if what you want is to be able to go from 1*-3* to jump directly to compete for 5*s against the people that have been playing for over a year, yeah, I have nothing to say to you.
    Cyclopes wrote:
    I was going to get excited about this 4* DDQ thing. But then they said that it's basically going to be impossible for anyone with a primarily 3* roster. I mean I have plenty of 4* characters. But the only ones with a cover in every color are xforce/thoress/fury and none of them are significant at this point. Everyone else has one or two covers at best. I can't get covers at this point in PVP. I cap out at 800. So I was hoping that this would help me transition well into having more 4*s but that's obviously not the case.

For top end PVP players this is certainly good news. But for people like me, it basically means, either you spend money or you get nowhere in this game. I guess that's how it's always been though hasn't it?

For you, nothing has changed, the plan is still the same: use your 3 stars to gather 4*s at PVP 1k points progression reward. Then eventually you'll have enough covers in your 4*s to participate and win in those Deadpool events, and so on. It's all a progression. The fact that they added another tier of competition several levels above your current doesn't affect you.

funny is i remember people saying one day you will be strong enough to tackle deadpool daily when i could not do the thing to get the 3 star... Now if i wanted to i could rank my people to crush that deadpool, funny thing is all of my 3 stars are almost fully covered and have no real interest in the deadpool daily... Hopefully same thing happens with 4 star icon_e_smile.gif

like i said before the only thing i can see really hurting newbies is if this pushes a lot more vets into PVE and the newbies can not take top 150

every pve they would be given a 2 star and a 4 star and would not have anywhere near the ISO needed to make the 4 star playable. meaning they would have to play more PVP.

are you guys adding this stuff to the game tonight.. have not had this game crash on me so much tonight then in the last 3 months (at least 14 crashes)
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    IceIX wrote:
    5*s start at 255, max out at 450. Each cover gives a static 15 level increase to level cap.
    Holy **** that's going to screw up my PvE scaling.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Gotta say I have mixed feelings from this announcement.

My initial fears of moving to a 5* tier was that it would be the end of the game. Far too expensive for the general hardcore player base to whale and creating a gap between player tiers that made progression feel hopeless. The game wouldn't literally die over night mind you it would just be a very slow decline over the course of several months or maybe years.

The way the devs have announced this gives me some hope though. I REALLY like that this isn't a clear pay to win thing. Sure a small portion of the player base will likley whale out the character far sooner than progression intends but it shouldn't be enough to devastate things.

There are genuine concerns though:

1) Legendary tokens replacing set covers will work for some people but there's others would be much happier with a set reward. I'm not entirely sure I'm willing to spend the 300-600 HP necessary for a 1300 prog in order to get a high chance at 1000 ISO. As other players develop their 4* rosters they'll run into the same concerns as well. It'll only get more and more frustrating as you gradually finish more 4*'s to boot.

2) The existance of 5* tier implies a further ballooning impact on character health. I'm not crazy about the length of matches in a 4* tier game now and the thought of facing off against 5* teams comprised of 80,000+ health a year from now doesn't fill me with confidence. Granted their damage should scale as well but this leads us to.....

3) 5*'s are effectively randomly obtained and should probably trounce 4* tier characters. This could theoretically lead to a significant competitive advantage being given to those who are lucky. Something that's always existed in this game but could be balanced out with money spent. It's great that 5*'s are not pay to win but there's going to be a downside attached to that as well if these characters are truly worthy of being considered a tier beyond 4*. It's one thing to be jealous of a whale whose playing with their new characters early while you gradually get covers over 6 months. It's another to be the whale who still hasn't got a single 5* cover while most of your alliance mates are up to 6+ and there's nothing you can realistically do about it.

There are a lot of risks associated with this change and I'm pretty doubtful it'll pay off in the end.

For now I like the fact that I have another long term goal to chase after.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX, two questions.

1. Will the 1v1 4* node only be open for 1 day?
    2. I assume the answer is no, but, will there be some kind of release event for either Silver Surfer or legendary tokens with them as rewards?
  • IceIX
    IceIX, two questions.

1. Will the 1v1 4* node only be open for 1 day?
    2. I assume the answer is no, but, will there be some kind of release event for either Silver Surfer or legendary tokens with them as rewards?
    1. Yes.
    2. No. Well, Legendary Tokens will start being rewards as of Events starting on 9/10, but we're not doing a LEGENDARY PVE or anything like that.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Here's an idea: make the legendary tokens connect to a 20 token vault that has 1 5*. At that number of covers, a legendary token could almost act as a point of "XP", so to speak, for a player's long term goal of covering a 5*. Once you collect 20, you can turn them in for a guaranteed a 5* cover if you choose to wait that long.

I think this would be better, because I worry about those poor suckers that just have terrible luck. In the current non-vault token system, over the course of 100 legendary tokens, most people will draw 5 covers, a few will be really lucky and draw 10 covers, and just as many will draw 1 or even 0 covers. The same number of legendary tokens could give one set of people 0 legendary covers and another set of people 10 covers, or, heck a maxed SS is even possible for a very lucky few with 100 tokens.

If someone gets that unlucky, with a vault system at least they could have a long-term option to fight that poor luck.

As to the whole 5* idea. When I first read 5*, I could feel my defenses pop up. It seems like everything in this announcement is exciting, though. Good times! These changes sound great. A definite step in the right direction.

With 5*s coming though, I really think that the devs can go back and add 500-800 damage on to Xforce green, and 2 more charge tiles to 4Thor somewhere on the move set. There's no way that would be too powerful in the coming world of mega-new 4*s and godly 5*s.

There's a part of me that just wants to throw money at the screen right now after reading such a good list of changes happening. And with anniversary coming, I'm betting we'll be seeing some nice Legendary token distribution rates. Alas.... I won't do it.

Fix the Xforce/Thor situation, instead of trying to forget it, then we'll talk.
  • IceIX
    Raffoon wrote:
    <snip Vault feedback for length>

As to the whole 5* idea. When I first read 5*, I could feel my defenses pop up. It seems like everything in this announcement is exciting, though. Good times! These changes sound great. A definite step in the right direction.

With 5*s coming though, I really think that the devs can go back and add 500-800 damage on to Xforce green, and 2 more charge tiles to 4Thor somewhere on the move set. There's no way that would be too powerful in the coming world of mega-new 4*s and godly 5*s.

There's a part of me that just wants to throw money at the screen right now after reading such a good list of changes happening. And with anniversary coming, I'm betting we'll be seeing some nice Legendary token distribution rates. Alas.... I won't do it.

Interesting idea on the Vault. We're talking about ways to improve it in general, that's a helpful suggestion. One thing we're worried about with a Legendary Vault though is that it would either have to be static (so new 4/5*s wouldn't enter it, boo), or way too dynamic (so you have 2 weeks to pull a 5* before it updates). There's no way currently that we can have user customizable Vaults that'll stay static until user updated when they pull down the new config. Obviously, that's solveable. But it'd take quite a bit of work on the backend.

As for buffs on Wolverine and Thor, it's certainly possible. They could both use a bit of love, along with a bunch of our 3*s (and 2/1*s for that matter.) Right now, we're focused on Anniversary plans though, so I wouldn't expect anything before then.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    Haetron wrote:
    This may be veering slightly off topic, but will there be additional progression rewards added to PVE to bridge between the current 3 star cover progression max and the Legendary token?

Oh, let me quit dancing around the bush. If we put in the PVE time, will we be able to earn the "Current Event" 4 star essential much like we can do the 3 star now at Max Progression? Or is it just playing the odds with Legendary Tokens?
    At this very moment, no. That could well change as we continue to smooth progressions though.

Please confirm if there will be 5* essentials in PVE after the initial 3 5*s are released.

Also I understand you can only earn a 5* from Legendary tokens but can we expect a Reward Structure similar to
    1: 5*
    2-75: 4*
    76-200: 3*
    201-500: 2*

Or just restructured in general for PVE? With the added Legendary token beyond the normal end progression, 2-3* transactions will have a difficult time placing high enough to win the rewards we need.. This issue is already occurring in PVP where its difficult to place T100 due to the high end players all going for 1000 and 1300.
  • slidecage
    Raffoon wrote:
    Here's an idea: make the legendary tokens connect to a 20 token vault that has 1 5*. At that number of covers, a legendary token could almost act as a point of "XP", so to speak, for a player's long term goal of covering a 5*. Once you collect 20, you can turn them in for a guaranteed a 5* cover if you choose to wait that long.

I think this would be better, because I worry about those poor suckers that just have terrible luck. In the current non-vault token system, over the course of 100 legendary tokens, most people will draw 5 covers, a few will be really lucky and draw 10 covers, and just as many will draw 1 or even 0 covers. The same number of legendary tokens could give one set of people 0 legendary covers and another set of people 10 covers, or, heck a maxed SS is even possible for a very lucky few with 100 tokens.

If someone gets that unlucky, with a vault system at least they could have a long-term option to fight that poor luck.

could never be a 20 vault it would have to reset weekly at that rate and even that is too high (many will get 5 tokens per week min) that is what 20%+ rate to get the 5 star they want 5 stars to be very very very rare

if they did do a vault i could see it min 100 and resets every week
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Will any 5*s be required for any PvE nodes or featured characters of PvP events?

Also, still curious:
    firethorne wrote:
    Any plans to segregate PvP for people still working on 3*s to not get obliterated out of placement by teams two to three tiers above their weight class?
  • slidecage
    IceIX wrote:
    Haetron wrote:
    This may be veering slightly off topic, but will there be additional progression rewards added to PVE to bridge between the current 3 star cover progression max and the Legendary token?

Oh, let me quit dancing around the bush. If we put in the PVE time, will we be able to earn the "Current Event" 4 star essential much like we can do the 3 star now at Max Progression? Or is it just playing the odds with Legendary Tokens?
    At this very moment, no. That could well change as we continue to smooth progressions though.

Please confirm if there will be 5* essentials in PVE after the initial 3 5*s are released.

Also I understand you can only earn a 5* from Legendary tokens but can we expect a Reward Structure similar to
    1: 5*
    2-75: 4*
    76-200: 3*
    201-500: 2*

Or just restructured in general for PVE? With the added Legendary token beyond the normal end progression, 2-3* transactions will have a difficult time placing high enough to win the rewards we need.. This issue is already occurring in PVP where its difficult to place T100 due to the high end players all going for 1000 and 1300.

this is what im talking about many people who have 2 stars will end up at the end of pve events with a 2 star and 4 star (one for getting rank 151 and below) and 4 star for the progression... mostly 2 covers they cant do anything with.

if they ever added 5 star ess to PVE i say you be lucky to see them in 2016 . not enough people will have them before end of year to really push them into a requirement if the odds are as low as they say they are

top 100 get 4 star now so why would they drop it to 75