Black Widow (Original) - 2*

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    100% is 3/5/5, really all you need to know lol. Will find the link if i can for you.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    yeah 3/5/5 all the way because you want her AR to stay at 8 cost, so if the enemy has any purple AP when you make purple matches with her you can have AR up in 2 matches, also its just nice to have an AP steal ability as cheap as possible so you can use it sooner.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    For what it's worth, I decided to build a second 5/4/4 OBW to see how this build would hold up to my (much used) 3/5/5 OBW and I only use my second build in purple generating goon nodes, or maybe if my 3/5/5 OBW is very low on health (which has not really happened since the 10 health pack upgrade).

So I agree with the previous reactions: 3/5/5 is the best build by far, 4 or 5 in purple is just a bit too slow.
  • LuciferianX
    LuciferianX Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    Everyone thus far has said 3/5/5.

Everyone thus far is correct.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    I fought a 5 purpleflag.png OBW in the Women of Marvel PVP yesterday. Thought it would be a pushover.

The minx utterly defeated me.

From the moment she fired her first Aggressive Recon, wiping out any chance I had to fire an ability, it was all downhill. Anti-Gravity for a big heal. Another AR a couple purpleflag.png matches later. My AP bar is now looking like a mix of zeros, ones and twos, while the enemies overfloweth. I ate a couple bad enemy skills and bailed while the bailing was still good.

One thing that fifth purpleflag.png cover does for her is that it also steals purpleflag.png, reducing her effective cost from 11 to 7 (if the purpleflag.png still exists to steal).

It won't work all the time, but when it does.. sheesh.
  • LuciferianX
    That's a good point, I had forgotten that the fifth would steal purple, although it's not the effective cost (which is still 11) but the net cost going forward, which is 7 if the enemy had it. The reason that I still avoid it is because of her persistent ability to steal purple. If your opponent makes one purple match (3 purpletile.png) and I make two, that's a final gross of 8, and AR goes off at 3 covers, stripping 3 of everything and they're down to one purple anyway. Under the 5 cover mechanic, you need three matches to your opponent's one (again, assuming they have it) at which point you steal all of the things, forever, amen.

I'll consider the next time I draw it. It's a reasonable proposition, which would make mine 5/3/5 (because Espionage is still beast).
  • LuciferianX
    Also, strong use of the word 'minx.' I will rep you at some point when the internet allows it.
  • 2/5/5, though admittedly I keep a second 3/5/5 OBW which I don't use as much. The 1 AP quicker steal makes a huge difference ensuring that I can steal AP before the AI gets off an ability.

OBW thread, does not have build poll.

5 in purple is a waste. You're stealing purple through espionage already.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    daibar wrote:
    2/5/5, though admittedly I keep a second 3/5/5 OBW which I don't use as much. The 1 AP quicker steal makes a huge difference ensuring that I can steal AP before the AI gets off an ability.

OBW thread, does not have build poll.

Hoarding covers to make a 5/3/5 just for Ultron runs and certain guantlet boards (anything with DP in it)

but my 3/5/5 is my go to when i use her in TBE.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    daibar wrote:
    Only if she tanks purple, which, if she's along for the ride with some 3* muscle, she might not be. Of course if you're in 3* land you're probably using Loki for similar effect.

But in general I'll agree, the 4th & 5th purples pump up the cost too much to be worthwhile.

I don't think I'll forget losing to OBW that way any time soon though. She must have stolen about 40 AP from me before I quit.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    The thing about having 2 OBW's is that sometimes you don't pay enough attention and end up taking the 'wrong' one (5/4/4, less than ideal) into a fight, which happened to me in the hardest node of The Hunt PVE that's currently running. And of course I thought 'next fight I need to switch to my 3/5/5 OBW'... which I promptly forget two moves later it seems.

Fortunately this only happened ehm... 3 times in a row icon_redface.gif

But I did win all of the fights so I can't complain about that. Thing that I want to illustrate is that, indeed as optimus said really, if you have a little luck or if you fight enemies who actively pursue/produce purple then a 5 purpleflag.png OBW can work magic and leave an opposing team without pretty much any colour AP except for TU. So I find it hard to say that OBW has a really wrong build, but it's just that 3/5/5 works best in most circumstances, because you don't really need that little bit luck I mentioned earlier.
  • Anyone know why I can't make her tank black over 2*Torch?

I have Torch at lvl 83 so both have black dmg of 43 but even with widow in the middle torch tanks black.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Onjay wrote:
    Anyone know why I can't make her tank black over 2*Torch?
    Fractions
  • Huatimus
    Huatimus Posts: 115
    As above poster mentioned, you need to take into account the decimals. If you look at the match damage charts on wiki, Torch black requires 2 levels to increase by 1 match damage and OBW requires about 3 levels to increase by 1 match damage. Therefore even if Torch was at level 82 and 43 match damage, he would still be tanking black. You should have stopped at 81. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • For some reason OBW is ridiculously rare for me so I don't want to start all over but I accidentally covered her in 4 purple and 4 black. What do I do? 5/3/5? 4/5/4?
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Breezy wrote:
    For some reason OBW is ridiculously rare for me so I don't want to start all over but I accidentally covered her in 4 purple and 4 black. What do I do? 5/3/5? 4/5/4?

Once you have 13 covers, you can respec when you get a 14th if it is in one of the colors you don't have maxed. You should eventually aim for 3/5/5. If you are already 4/5/4, wait for the last black you need. 4 purple is worse than both 3 and 5 purple, so you may want to temporarily bump it to 5 if it is taking too long to get the other covers.
  • That 5th black cover makes espionage 10x better than it was before, and the reason you're using OBW is for healing so definitely 5 blue covers. I find the lower cost on the purple more valuable than the extra AP she steals anyway.

The only issue I see with 3/5/5 is if you pair her with someone who is matching all of the black/blue/purple instead of her, you never get to use espionage anyway. For example, the current PvE has an upgraded Daken so black widow never makes a match. If that's the case, then you have to weigh the options of 5 purple covers potentially giving you more AP but also costing more AP to do so.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    rtomek wrote:
    That 5th black cover makes espionage 10x better than it was before, and the reason you're using OBW is for healing so definitely 5 blue covers. I find the lower cost on the purple more valuable than the extra AP she steals anyway.

The only issue I see with 3/5/5 is if you pair her with someone who is matching all of the black/blue/purple instead of her, you never get to use espionage anyway. For example, the current PvE has an upgraded Daken so black widow never makes a match. If that's the case, then you have to weigh the options of 5 purple covers potentially giving you more AP but also costing more AP to do so.
    The reason I use OBW is AP stealing and Espionage. Healing is just a bonus.
    ...but as it happens I think the AP steal is more effective at level 3 since you can start stealing sooner.
  • hello,
    i have black widow originally currently as 3/3/0 and found another purple cover.
    If i add this cover and level her up a few more times, and later change her skills to 3/5/5 to i have relevel her because i remove and add a cover? or can i keep her at the higher level?
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Frasaria wrote:
    hello,
    i have black widow originally currently as 3/3/0 and found another purple cover.
    If i add this cover and level her up a few more times, and later change her skills to 3/5/5 to i have relevel her because i remove and add a cover? or can i keep her at the higher level?
    You will not have to relevel her, but you won't be able to lower the purple skill until she's at 13 covers total and you are attempting to add a 14th (non-purple) cover.