*** Magneto (Classic) ***

1495051525355»

Comments

• PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    He's definitely a poster boy for a well-balanced 3-star, and a murderous beast when buffed. He's been a joy to play in the current Iron Fist tournament (Luke Cage/Iron Fist/Classic Magneto is a fun rainbow team.)
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Loftus wrote:
    currently have 5/4/4, got a red cover but have been busy and completely lost track of time, ended up letting it run out icon_redface.gif

I was having a really tough time trying to decide whether i wanted to drop a yellow cover in favor of the red or not, and in the end i simply failed to make up my mind before it ran out. He's one of my core team but because 3 star.png thor is also in that team i've yet to really see magneto's yellow in full swing. I find him to be one of the best balanced characters in terms of his abilities.

3/5/5 is the best build for mags. Definitely worth dropping the yellow when you get a chance.
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    I REALLY wish that his powers got a slight buff up to close to his 240 power set because at that level his damage is very similar to a 166 Cyclops as it stands I hadn,t played with him in a while and it was so much fun to be able to use him again. Unfortunatley when unbuffed he is just not quite powerful enough to get regular use.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    SangFroid wrote:
    I REALLY wish that his powers got a slight buff up to close to his 240 power set because at that level his damage is very similar to a 166 Cyclops as it stands I hadn,t played with him in a while and it was so much fun to be able to use him again. Unfortunatley when unbuffed he is just not quite powerful enough to get regular use.

He doesn't do as much damage as cyclops, but he has more support value in that he has some defense, is better for so collection with his boardshakes, and has faster abilities.

I do agree though, that he has been slightly outclassed with power creep, and is only truly useable in high level pvp when boosted.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    mag is still one of my go to 3*s but i wanna say of course cyclops does more overall damage just because of the insane single target full blast does otherwise mag really isn't really that far from his damage.

mag's blue does 4991 damage which is the same cost as cyc's red but 708 more damage plus the potential to feed back red/blue AP from made matches and more damage. His red can be a cascade machine and gets rid of pesky TU tiles for me opening up actual better matches while still doing great damage and yellow is great for shaving off match damage and when it happens, overwriting special tiles.

He is still one of the 3*'s I see most frequently.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    SangFroid wrote:

They nerfed his dmg on blue when they switched it from purple. It did more damage over more tiles, however, if you factored in the dmg it could have done with 7 tiles at max level, it got hit quite a bit on dmg. Blue should be doing a little over 5K IMO, as for red, it just needs a slight bump on dmg. Especially after D3 said that TU tiles have a slightly less drop rate then regular tiles, with that being so red should instantly have more dmg for tiles that are less likely to come back. Yellow needs a beef up as well, costwise his skill are fun. But had they not cut the dmg of his purple/blue he would be in a better spot.
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    Exactly. If his red at 5 was say 300-325 and his blue was 1K per match maxed at 7 or maybe 800 but with no max on matches (I miss Magnetic Translocation) I think he would be fixed. Maybe a tweak to shield strength but honestly that is not a huge factor. While mags does have the benefit of board shake his best dmg skill is hampered by the fact that you are chasing red and blue and he needs to have those on the board not a complaint just something in response to people saying he for 10 blue he would be doing to much damage you have to wait for it sometimes like Doom purple. Obviously this is not a big priority for the developers as he is reasonably well balanced right now, its just that he is so close and it would not take much to get him there...plus favorite character bias...
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Loftus wrote:
    currently have 5/4/4, got a red cover but have been busy and completely lost track of time, ended up letting it run out icon_redface.gif

I was having a really tough time trying to decide whether i wanted to drop a yellow cover in favor of the red or not, and in the end i simply failed to make up my mind before it ran out. He's one of my core team but because 3 star.png thor is also in that team i've yet to really see magneto's yellow in full swing. I find him to be one of the best balanced characters in terms of his abilities.

3/5/5 is the best build for mags. Definitely worth dropping the yellow when you get a chance.

That's a matter of opinion (more so in the new health buffed meta). I have him at 5/3/5 with no intention of changing because he's a master of utility with that build: Yellow overwrites everything including CD's and negates match dmg, Red is a great board shake w/ damage, and Blue is your nuke with small chance of board shake.

His yellow has saved my bacon more than once and if you mix him MoStorm and fire off a Hailstorm 1st he'll overwrite basically all of the enemies special tiles.

All that said, I don't disagree with a 3/5/5 build if that's what you're wanting, but it's not as cut and dry as it used to be.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    SangFroid wrote:

They nerfed his dmg on blue when they switched it from purple. It did more damage over more tiles, however, if you factored in the dmg it could have done with 7 tiles at max level, it got hit quite a bit on dmg. Blue should be doing a little over 5K IMO, as for red, it just needs a slight bump on dmg. Especially after D3 said that TU tiles have a slightly less drop rate then regular tiles, with that being so red should instantly have more dmg for tiles that are less likely to come back. Yellow needs a beef up as well, costwise his skill are fun. But had they not cut the dmg of his purple/blue he would be in a better spot.

This is something that still upsets me, I remember when the change from purple to blue happened making A LOT of posts saying that they made a mistake and they were using the damage values when he was 144 and not when he was 166, but I got no response and he was not fixed. So basically he is still broken because blue damage should be 22 levels more icon_e_sad.gif (so instead of a little shy of 5000 he would be doing like 5500-6000, which of course is better).

PS: I still remember playing him when he had the best ability in the game, his blue was soooo good, and soooo fun, I miss him sometimes (the most similar is playing BW with ProfX but it is not the same).