*** Wolverine (Patch) ***

Comments

• I'm sitting at 3/3/4. I'm going to go x/x/5 but I'm not sure if I want that to be 5/3 4/4 or 3/5. I don't really use the 5 as I run with punisher and hit retribution is a one shot under 40% so I'm leaning toward 5/3/5. Looks like I'll end up with another r/y at the end of this sub event of maybe a set of each. I already have 1 red in my stash waiting to be used or sold.
  • The more I read, the harder it is to decide on a build. I didnt think about pairing up IM40 with Patch, might be a good combo.
  • Currently sitting at lvl 60 5/3/4, going for 5 yellow. Really enjoying 5 g in currently pve. Go in double green, match green, now all my matches hit over 2k. Makes takin down the big boys much faster. I find if I sit around 2k ISO, I have more then enough to boost every match through the sub event.

On a side note, does everyone lovingly refer to this character as "Patches" or is that just me?
  • Patch's regeneration requires more yellow tile than Wolverine 2*, but he has higher base health and the % healed per turn is also greater.

With the nerf on the God of Thunder imminent, there really aren't any other super strong yellow players, so you can afford to leave them up. Right now it's more risky because you really need to deny yellows to make sure Thor doesn't get a Thunder Strike in.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Phantron wrote:
    Patch's regeneration requires more yellow tile than Wolverine 2*, but he has higher base health and the % healed per turn is also greater.

With the nerf on the God of Thunder imminent, there really aren't any other super strong yellow players, so you can afford to leave them up. Right now it's more risky because you really need to deny yellows to make sure Thor doesn't get a Thunder Strike in.

Ares, I supposed. Especially buffed in PVE, and you'd want to use Patch (buffed).

I'm more concerned about giving the enemies 6 strike tiles.
  • eidehua wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Patch's regeneration requires more yellow tile than Wolverine 2*, but he has higher base health and the % healed per turn is also greater.

Ares, I supposed. Especially buffed in PVE, and you'd want to use Patch (buffed).

I'm more concerned about giving the enemies 6 strike tiles.

Berserker Rage isn't something you use and just hope something good happens. You got to have a team built around the ability, or you're desperate enough to hope for something good to happen. There's no way you can reliably mitigate all the risk for Berserker Rage, or it might as well be 9g = game over. But you can definitely reduce the risk significantly by having a team structured the right way.
  • eidehua
    Phantron wrote:
    Berserker Rage isn't something you use and just hope something good happens. You got to have a team built around the ability, or you're desperate enough to hope for something good to happen. There's no way you can reliably mitigate all the risk for Berserker Rage, or it might as well be 9g = game over. But you can definitely reduce the risk significantly by having a team structured the right way.

Yeah, I don't have a decent Loki to build a team round it. What other characters could help deal with enemy strike tiles?

Also just an observation: Patch's green has a down side where it creates green strike tiles-- which you would need to clear if you want to generate more green tiles. Sure, his red does this to, but the main part of his red is the huge initial damage. Wolvie 2* never had this problem since you could store up a decent amount of reds, then just match greens to put out a lot of strike tiles.

Creating purple strike tiles for enemies has ups and downs too. Sure you could try casting green when there are low amounts of purple, but that doesn't happen that often (<6 purple tiles). Especially if your team wants to focus on matching green/red. And of course clearing enemy purples means they have chances to match red/green. And with Patch on AI, green strike tiles will likely be matches asap.

edit:
    seems like R47 (with Patch's patch) is coming out in a few days. Hopefully we can see how well he plays. Still sittin on 3/3/3.
    double edit:
    wolvie 2*'s yellow has changed. Wonder what this means for Patch's yellow.
  • On android, "best there is" at level 2. When using the ability in the Punisher tournament, it does not generate damage (either when used straight after the green ability or the turn after). The ability does generate damage in other events (such as Thick as thieves).
  • Only Loki, currently, can turn them to your advantage. No, Yelena doesn't count. Loki also stops you effectively using OBW for extra strike triggers, unless you use him underleveled, which would work but is a gimmick team on par with using Spider-Man to help Venom eat people.

Other than that, you're really limited to timing it well in combination with purple squatting (Spider-Man, Bullseye (!)) or selective overwriting (***Magneto, Captain America, I think ***Widow). Moonstone's even more marginal, being able to eliminate hostile strike tiles one at a time with any reliability for 8 purple each, if the enemy isn't using any special tiles of its own. Other than current C.Magneto, I think most of those will probably get you killed often enough. You can, of course, just use it (probably twice) when you think you have enough area and spike damage banked to get the fight over with, but misjudge that and you turn anything still standing into an angry Hulk.
  • It only does damage for every tile that carries Wolvie's sign. Any chance your buffed Punisher is hogging all the tiles, reducing effective damage to zero?
  • Veracity wrote:
    Only Loki, currently, can turn them to your advantage. No, Yelena doesn't count. Loki also stops you effectively using OBW for extra strike triggers, unless you use him underleveled, which would work but is a gimmick team on par with using Spider-Man to help Venom eat people.

Time will tell if this is true (I have all three, Patch/OBW/Loki around level 60 so right now OBW gets Black and Purple matches).

But we're really just talking about hp here for Loki. His powers don't deal direct damage and you'd never want to use his purple over OBWs. And if you have Espionage at 4 or 5 you don't care about the lower tile match damage from not maxing Loki anyway.

Just as a disclaimer my comments about this team all come from a PVE viewpoint. If we had a PVE where no characters were buffed this would be my go to team. Even if Mags and Spidey get nerfed to oblivion I still wouldn't really use these three for PVP.
  • Yeah, it's the "kick me" sign aspect that makes me call it a gimmick, not anything about its viability under your control. OBW getting black priority even makes it easier to get enough black for Trickery. But Patch is a bit of a "kick me" sign all on his own, so it's probably wrongheaded even to worry about that. The only thing that might scare people in PvP is him with Hulk, since the hostile strike tiles would make regular matches trigger Anger, and the friendly ones would power it up. No one's going to be flinching at that unless the Spidey funbalancing makes easy stun less prevalent, though.

If I had infinite ISO I'd level Bullseye to 69 just out of curiosity to see how that goes, but there are better places to put what I can scrape together from LRs.
  • I disagree that Loki is the only viable teamate. Spidey, Hulk, Mags work pretty good. I'd even argue that Cap makes a decent teamate.
  • I'm not sure how inviting Patch will be on defense. You can't save him for last unless you're positive you can keep him from getting Best There Is off, but if you take him on first, you'd better be able to knock him out in 2-3 turns, or that heal will crush you. Aside from soon-to-be nerfed Magneto, that doesn't seem trivial -- you're going to need to build up quite a bit of AP to make it happen, which means there's a decent chance he gets off Berserker Rage. That'll put a dent in his healing, but unless you get lucky it's also going to put a pretty big dent in your team (taking ~600 damage per match for L3 BRage or ~1k/match for L5 is something no heal is going to keep up with, except for soon-to-nerfed Spidey and his stunlock).

This is all theorycrafting for now but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be skipping most high-level Patches.
  • eidehua
    I think IM40 is a great teammate with 5 red Patch (IM40 recharge fuels red and green, stuns himself so Patch gets more colors). Hulk is good with 3/4/5 green. You only need to give enemies 3 strike tiles + add their match damage to trigger anger on Hulk for every match 3.
  • Punisher's not bad either -- a lot of overlap, but cheap AoE to benefit from strike tiles, cheaper red when you want to distribute damage across multiple sources (or need a KO right now), plus good color matchups for Best There Is.
  • Moonstone is awesome at eliminating single color special tiles. You can almost always turn it into at least a match 4 if not a match 5. The problem is if they have more than one color, or if you used Best There is + Berserker Rage which would give them 2 colors of special tiles.

You can also use Invisible Woman and just bubble all their purple tiles first (or after, if there are more than 8). There are a lot of tricks to get around Berserker Rage and none of them are cheap, but they shouldn't be because it's pretty much a game ender if you can avoid the negative aspect of it.
  • Hulk11
    Hulk11 Posts: 435
    Just played in an event and my lvl 41 is popping out silly enemy strike tiles again. I thought I was done with that awhile ago. Guess not...
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    Fixed, not nerfed. He was always supposed to do so. See this announcement from 1/20: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2353
  • Hulk11
    Hulk11 Posts: 435
    I see...

That sucks. Any suggested other character to use? I'm not getting whacked for using him lol. Honestly it seemed necessary to let him upgrade and get rid of the enemy tiles. Makes sense anyhow. I know later on he adds more tiles when you rank that power, but just change it to him dealing more damage on his attack rather than the tiles. Sucks...