**** Sam Wilson (Captain America) ****

Comments

• raisinbman wrote:
    20three wrote:
    What an absolute waste of a character. Has anyone ever honestly requested this scrub?

I have seen many players on the forums suggesting him. There are many characters that were released that no one wanted such as Squirrel Girl, but everyone has their place. If you don't want him, don't try to win and sell any covers you pull.
    Why does everyone talk SHEEP about Squirrel Girl?

-_-

Cause she's not good overall. When she was first released and everyone was complaining, I saw her potential, especially in her Pink skill. I almost have her fully covered (currently 4/3/4) but I'm not impressed and I rarely use her. For her colors, I rather use KK or a mixture of other characters.
    she is impressive, your lack of faith is disturbing
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I rather use KK
    You hit on the problem right there. It's not that SG isn't good, the problem is that KK uses the same colors and is excellent. Even if you were thinking of using SG vs. tile spammers to best take advantage of her purple, KK probably still looks like the much better option.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    As excited as I am to get Captain Falcon, I'm surprised that there hasn't been more discussion of level 3 of his blue - "Also reduces the timer on a friendly Countdown tile by 1" - and how that would be a detriment to some teammates' CD-based powers.

Off the top of my head, here are some countdown-based powers which are designed to be beneficial while staying on the board and have no benefit to the player from being reduced:

Star-Lord's yellow
    Colossus' yellow
    Luke Cage's black
    Vision's blue
    Vision's yellow

IceIX, would it be possible to get an explanation as to the design methodology behind the power affecting all countdowns? Is there a chance of it being coded so as to not effect those few beneficial countdowns listed above? Otherwise, it seems like a weird design choice to have a passive power which **** other characters (and moreso, an unavoidable power upgrade, as it's at level 3 of his blue and would be present in any maxed-out FalCap.)

Thanks!
  • simonsez
    As excited as I am to get Captain Falcon, I'm surprised that there hasn't been more discussion of level 3 of his blue - "Also reduces the timer on a friendly Countdown tile by 1" - and how that would be a detriment to some teammates' CD-based powers.
    There was, just not in this thread.

viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=19202&p=392160#p392160
  • sc0ville
    sc0ville Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    simonsez wrote:
    I rather use KK
    You hit on the problem right there. It's not that SG isn't good, the problem is that KK uses the same colors and is excellent. Even if you were thinking of using SG vs. tile spammers to best take advantage of her purple, KK probably still looks like the much better option.

Way off topic I know, but I'm finding SG a great answer to Caltrops. It's the best use I've found for her so far.
  • sc0ville wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    I rather use KK

Way off topic I know, but I'm finding SG a great answer to Caltrops. It's the best use I've found for her so far.
    Have you tried Mohawk?
  • sc0ville
    sc0ville Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    ShionSinX wrote:
    sc0ville wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    I rather use KK

Have you tried Mohawk?

my Mohawk is only 3 black so she doesn't work as well for Caltrops any longer (I use her in Lore's combo with Shulk/kk normally and it's my prefered build for her now.)

I used SG on the DD essential wave nodes with Falcon. It's relatively quick to get her yellow protect tiles out for Falcon to start boosting, and she compliments his colors nicely. You're right that Mohawk has a better rainbow, but falcon's tiles take forever to get started, on the plus side SG's green does decent AP generation and is much more damage than Mohawks. Once you have protect tiles buffed a bit, I don't stun the mobs before they use TTS, Leaving the attack tiles up (who's damage is negated by the protect tiles) buffs the hell out of SG's purple. (Her purple starts doing 5k+ pretty quickly with enemy attack tiles on the board).
  • I'm super underwhelmed the more and more I look at him. I see so much potential, that red can hit HARD, but its soooo high @ 14 AP AND additional dmg being contingent on another 9 AP attack. On top of that, he has the Dr. Doom issue of adjusting tiles of the SAME color he just ate up to get there.

If he functioned more like 2 & 3* Cap - whee the shield would return at least SOME AP, he'd look MUCH better, that's what makes Cap so scary, you have to clear those tiles off or he's going to do it AGAIN.
    - Unreall
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    As a 4* character is it bad that I see him having a lot of synergy with Fury and Carnage. He can buff all of carnages attack tiles while setting up Fury's blue. He can also get out some protect tiles to stave off the carnage attack tiles. This combo would be really slow, but would have a nice rainbow, just missing black, but would cause for pause with all those buffed attack tiles
  • I'm super underwhelmed the more and more I look at him. I see so much potential, that red can hit HARD, but its soooo high @ 14 AP AND additional dmg being contingent on another 9 AP attack. On top of that, he has the Dr. Doom issue of adjusting tiles of the SAME color he just ate up to get there.

If he functioned more like 2 & 3* Cap - whee the shield would return at least SOME AP, he'd look MUCH better, that's what makes Cap so scary, you have to clear those tiles off or he's going to do it AGAIN.
    - Unreall
    How many protect tiles do you need though? Even at 3 covers, 5 shields is blocking all match damage. Further, having less yellow on board makes it harder to match them away. His real weakness is that he's a defensive character in a game where offense wins, but not even that good as a defender on defense. Good counter to XPool+Thing, but not a lot of synergy with other characters.

If you have no countdowns, his blue passive is weaker than 3* inspiration. The only one with a consistent countdown is SW, so he could conceivably be used with SW+Quicksilver, though that too is a weak team.
  • simonsez
    daibar wrote:
    Further, having less yellow on board makes it harder to match them away
    His yellow turns all yellows, regardless of how many covers.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm torn on going 3/5/5 or 5/3/5. Obviously you don't need yellow maxed to do the yellow/red combo, but right now his blue is worthless amongst most of the field, now this is with a PvP mindset, because as for a duo partner, you want him with someone that has an active blue and countdowns and creates special tiles to boost (preferably attack and strike) Fury is the only one that fits that bill.

I think PvE 3/5/5 is going to be the stronger build, especially because you can pair him with say Captain America and wreak havoc on blue, but PvP, I think 5/3/5 will prove stronger because his blue is pretty worthless there

Edit: Only considering 4* pairings, 3*'s there are some decent choices, Captain America, Groot, Scarlet Witch, Psylocke and Beast (this is a really good pairing) Use Beast blue, match a blue, trigger his CD, boost his tiles, could be fun.
  • simonsez wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    Further, having less yellow on board makes it harder to match them away
    His yellow turns all yellows, regardless of how many covers.
    It's more about how spread they are and less about how many there are.

6 yellow, all matchable, is worse than 2 spread out if the AI gets them all in a couple turns.
  • So Captain Falcon and Woman Thor get Legendary status whilst their predecessors are 2 and 3 star characters?

How long was Steve Rogers Captain America? How long was Odinson Thor?

This reeks of the "progressive mindset" that hates the idea of white males and wants to replace them with different genders and minorities whilst keeping the same namesake.

How did the sales of these all new comics go, eh? Not well.

The fact that you wouldn't make real Legendary characters like "God Doom","Molecule Man","Apocalypse" or "Thanos" really shows how you have no notion of the comic world or the definition of LEGENDARY.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    lostinadub wrote:
    So Captain Falcon and Woman Thor get Legendary status whilst their predecessors are 2 and 3 star characters?

This reeks of the "progressive mindset" that hates the idea of white males and wants to replace them with different genders and minorities whilst keeping the same namesake.

The fact that you wouldn't make real Legendary characters like "God Doom","Molecule Man","Apocalypse" or "Thanos" really shows how you have no notion of the comic world or the definition of LEGENDARY.
    I hate to point out the obvious (ok, that's a lie), but the 2* and 3* versions of Captain America and Thor were in the game for far longer before their newer versions were released. The 4* position was available. Especially now, for Sam Wilson (Captain America), 4* is the extremely likely choice because the overwhelming majority of new character releases during this phase of the game's development are 4* by default.

Further, in the comics, both Thor and Captain America have had their powers, mantle, costume, and signature weapon passed on to other characters repeatedly. If we were having this discussion at another time, you might be complaining about Eric Masterson or John Walker, except by your own thesis you wouldn't because they're the right skin color and gender.

Your post reeks of the regressive mindset that thinks that white males are a downtrodden subclass, and every inclusion of a non-white or non-male character is somehow another blow in your oh-so-put-upon lives. Granted, I am impressed that you haven't sunk into racist or misogynist slurs -- but hey, the night is young.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    sc0ville wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    I rather use KK

I normally use Mohawk as my answer to Caltrops. How does SG work? I'm not seeing it, her Green will destroy Caltrops trap tiles. Her Yellow shield powerful enough to negate the traps?
  • simonsez
    I normally use Mohawk as my answer to Caltrops. How does SG work? I'm not seeing it, her Green will destroy Caltrops trap tiles. Her Yellow shield powerful enough to negate the traps?
    Assuming you have her at 3yellow, the protects are 400... so for me, not even close. I've seen them as high as 1200.
  • DayvBang wrote:
    lostinadub wrote:
    So Captain Falcon and Woman Thor get Legendary status whilst their predecessors are 2 and 3 star characters?

I hate to point out the obvious (ok, that's a lie), but the 2* and 3* versions of Captain America and Thor were in the game for far longer before their newer versions were released. The 4* position was available. Especially now, for Sam Wilson (Captain America), 4* is the extremely likely choice because the overwhelming majority of new character releases during this phase of the game's development are 4* by default.

Further, in the comics, both Thor and Captain America have had their powers, mantle, costume, and signature weapon passed on to other characters repeatedly. If we were having this discussion at another time, you might be complaining about Eric Masterson or John Walker, except by your own thesis you wouldn't because they're the right skin color and gender.

Your post reeks of the regressive mindset that thinks that white males are a downtrodden subclass, and every inclusion of a non-white or non-male character is somehow another blow in your oh-so-put-upon lives. Granted, I am impressed that you haven't sunk into racist or misogynist slurs -- but hey, the night is young.
    where was this post in the representation thread? bless u
    lostinadub wrote:

rofl
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Got a hold of a maxed one rather quickly and he's fun but not really PvP material except for special cases. 3/5/5 either way I think.

Yellow is meh, frequently there wasn't much on the board so I wasn't getting many tiles.

Blue is weaker than 3* Falcon's ability to buff but the CD tile reduction is really fun.

Red is so damn slow but will kill something if you get enough AP.

PvE wise:
    Blade / Beast / CFalcon was really strong once I got the ball rolling. Blue matches were either instant proccing Beast blue or Blade black. Damage was much lower than I expected (doesn't ramp up nearly as fast as with 3* Falcon or PX) but incoming damage was low and it was easy to keep enemy AP under control. Again, main problem is that its slow to get started (Falcon red was absolutely devastating when it eventually went off).

Groot can take Beast's place but Falcon will tank over Groot making his healing passive useless. Groot's green is worse too.

Blade could be replaced by Kingpin, strike tiles will be much slower to produce and you'll lose your attack tile generation. Blue isn't as effective on KP yellow as it is on Blade black but KP is sturdier and KP/Falcon could be viable in PvP. Depending on how the AI plays it you may not produce many Magia Thug tiles due to yellow being clogged by Falcon tiles.

I don't think he pairs well with 3* Cap, CD reduction is nice but you only have an active red + blue between 2 characters (yellow is a color you don't really want). You would need an active purple green black user which there are none of currently (Blade you would have no green user and a weak yellow).

Fury is decent colorwise but the main reason you play with Falcon is for CD tile reduction and Escape Plan isn't worth it. Torch is a maybe.

PvP wise:
    SW/PX (5/3/5)/Falcon might work. Triggering SW faster leads to cascades that can win you the game but no blue/black actives. Falcon/KP with a featured Blue + Green user (Groot/Beast. She Hulk/Rag/DocOc not really) could be decent.
  • Great post, sounds almost exactly how I thought...Doom issue with yellow instead of blue, and a super high cost red that is pretty much ToD to one character, but such a high cost makes everything take forever, like Cage's yellow...which would be fine if like Cage, he had a second dmg dealing power.

I won't stress about getting him...I'll stick with working on 4P...
    - Unreall