MPQ Sneak Peek: Upcoming In August, 2015 *Updated 8/19

Comments

• JordonLee
    JordonLee Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Malcrof wrote:
    JordonLee wrote:
    Why is this no longer stickied?

patch should be coming today, new thread for next updates will most likely come later.

Presumed this one would just be updated throughout the month though, with a seperate thread for the patches.
    It's managed to sticky itself again, strangely. Not sure is anyone official did it haha.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    JordonLee wrote:
    It's managed to sticky itself again, strangely. Not sure is anyone official did it haha.
    Things work in mysterious ways around these parts...
  • JordonLee
    yogi_ wrote:
    JordonLee wrote:
    Things work in mysterious ways around these parts...

I have the power to make things stick themselves what.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    JordonLee wrote:
    I have the power to make things stick themselves what.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dJolYw8tnk
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Will EoTS be a vault?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
    Malcrof wrote:
    Will EoTS be a vault?
    Planned to be a normal set of packs. We want to see what the effects of the Juggernaut Vault/Pack are first before we do anything there.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2015
    ~~~removed already answered question~~~
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    turul wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    Will EoTS be a vault?
    Planned to be a normal set of packs. We want to see what the effects of the Juggernaut Vault/Pack are first before we do anything there.

EOTS non new character PVE?

Already answered above, in the affirmative
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    IceIX wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    Will EoTS be a vault?

Wait - so you are saying the whole Vault vs. normal pack thing is an A/B test? As myself and others have been asking for the last 3 days...........????

WHY WHY WHY can't you just say this ahead of time (even 1 day or 1 hour ahead of time) - or put it into the top of the update where people can find it or whatever. Seriously is communication really so hard?
    I'm not taking it out on you personally IceIX cause I know you're on here more than most, and I appreciate that. I do. But really, this ongoing **** level of communication on changes is pathetic.
    I know I know - it's better than it was 30 or 60 days ago - but really that's like saying our new hydrogen filled blimp is doing better than that last one, the Hindenburg, did. It's still positively atrocious imo.

Sorry - rant mode off now.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
    Wait - so you are saying the whole Vault vs. normal pack thing is an A/B test? As myself and others have been asking for the last 3 days...........????

WHY WHY WHY can't you just say this ahead of time (even 1 day or 1 hour ahead of time) - or put it into the top of the update where people can find it or whatever. Seriously is communication really so hard?
    I'm not taking it out on you personally IceIX cause I know you're on here more than most, and I appreciate that. I do. But really, this ongoing **** level of communication on changes is pathetic.
    I know I know - it's better than it was 30 or 60 days ago - but really that's like saying our new hydrogen filled blimp is doing better than that last one, the Hindenburg, did. It's still positively atrocious imo.

Because of the simple reason that stating anything regarding it necessarily changes the nature of the test. I hate staying silent when I know the answers to player frustrations, but in this case it was necessary. It sounds stupid, but having no response leaves a relatively small number of people across conversation mediums (here, FB, etc) speculating, but not necessarily acting on that speculation since they can't be sure if acting is the proper course of action. So most will tend to act as they would act without the speculation affecting them. Which is exactly what we need out of people to get the data we need to make a decision. If we step in and say "Yes, this is an A/B test, please all act normally", that information is spread as pure fact far and wide. And when people know they're being tested, they don't act naturally. They'll tend to act in an attempt to make things turn out how they want it to. Which skews the incoming data and making it far less useful.

So yes. Lack of communication in this case sucks. Agreed. But I can't think of much of a way to override human nature and get the data we need while being perfectly open about everything about the test.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    I second all comments about the look, not a fan of the neon, I'm not sure the bigger event button is a good idea especially without updated graphics, and I'll add this ergonomic comment :

I check my roster way more often than my alliance status. For this reason I would greatly prefer the roster button to be in the bottom right corner (where it used to be) rather than the alliance one. Except if most player check their alliance more than the roster and I'm a minority, the current display of these two buttons seems less than ideal.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    IceIX wrote:

Because of the simple reason that stating anything regarding it necessarily changes the nature of the test. I hate staying silent when I know the answers to player frustrations, but in this case it was necessary. It sounds stupid, but having no response leaves a relatively small number of people across conversation mediums (here, FB, etc) speculating, but not necessarily acting on that speculation since they can't be sure if acting is the proper course of action. So most will tend to act as they would act without the speculation affecting them. Which is exactly what we need out of people to get the data we need to make a decision. If we step in and say "Yes, this is an A/B test, please all act normally", that information is spread as pure fact far and wide. And when people know they're being tested, they don't act naturally. They'll tend to act in an attempt to make things turn out how they want it to. Which skews the incoming data and making it far less useful.

So yes. Lack of communication in this case sucks. Agreed. But I can't think of much of a way to override human nature and get the data we need while being perfectly open about everything about the test.

Yeah - this is exactly what I figured. Thanks for taking the time on the explanation.
    But this is old school A/B thinking. And it doesn't contemplate the existence of social media (even old school social media like this forum). Because of the lack of information, I and others ALSO did not behave as we would otherwise. I know some wondered if the existing packs would transform to a Vault pack with a patch and so held off buying the daily deal yesterday. The reality is that any change like this will be discovered and discussed. I get it that some people won't realize this and will probably make up the bulk of the data you review. BUT > those same people also won't be reading this forum or FB either in all likelihood. So, I would argue that it would have been better to simply come out and say that you are evaluating responses to different token mechanics and be done with it. I realize there will be a designer who took a course at Stanford that says this will result in greater bias (I know, I took that course), but there are more modern studies that say that you can't avoid bias in our modern age and you will get better results from an appearance of honesty when large groups of motivated and socially connected people are the groups being targeted for A/B testing.
    I get that you decided to not say something and that does suck. But I suggest you discuss internally the need to trust in your users a bit more as well.
  • JordonLee
    Whilst I'm obviously annoyed, it was more because I didn't get the option than anything.
    But like you said, the reliability of the results of your test wouldn't be if anything was spoken of priorly.

I must admit.. Your communication and the way you worded it seemed to express a certain.. "We didn't have any choice" like you sort of felt uncomfortable with the idea of being quiet yourselves. Whether that emotion in your wording was feigned or not, I'd rather not know. It makes me feel better, lol.

Just.. Please, damn, let this be the last test of the kind regarding rewards. It's annoying enough the once.
    And whilst I was salty, I cannot do anything but express my discontent with human nature and its fickle side. Wish things like this didn't need to occur lel.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    wish i was one of the ones with the vault, all event tokens.. even the ones from alliance placement, nothing but the usual 2* ****.. event tokens seem to be the worst ones out of any of them, i seem to have better luck on standards....

When i thought i was going to eventually get a vault, i loaded up some $$ into my google play account, ready to try for some 4*'s.. oh well, holding out for a HP sale now.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:

Wouldn't have been better to add a button for people to change to the vault or vice versa so you can compile data which one people would choose?
  • Malcrof wrote:
    wish i was one of the ones with the vault, all event tokens.. even the ones from alliance placement, nothing but the usual 2* ****.. event tokens seem to be the worst ones out of any of them, i seem to have better luck on standards....

When i thought i was going to eventually get a vault, i loaded up some $$ into my google play account, ready to try for some 4*'s.. oh well, holding out for a HP sale now.
    Ironically, I feel the opposite. The vault is full of (1) cover for 3*s and a few 4*s, and plush with 2*. For me to spend any HP on it, I want a chance at multiple 4P...I was tempted to try and whale on JG, but seeing 4P and his synergy with XFW, made me want to whale on 4P, but I didn't win him (needed a break form the game after JG honestly), and the best I cna hope for is a SINGLE 4P (purp). I'm not throwing a bunch of money at that. And if the odds are like JG was at like 4% with a ten pack, the odds are MUCH worse in the vault.
    - Unreall
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 2,950 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    Will EoTS be a vault?

if they would go 100% vault in the future what will happen to the tokens once the event ends would they be added to the new vault when the event starts again or just lost
  • IceIX wrote:

Wouldn't have been better to add a button for people to change to the vault or vice versa so you can compile data which one people would choose?
    Nah, keeping us in the dark and not giving us a choice make the best tests according to D3 logic
  • They're likely not trying to find out which one the players prefer, but the one players are more willing to spend money on HP to buy from.

I suspect they got good results from the ID PVP vault, but not so good from the Deadpool Vault, so they're still feeling it out. I prefer the vault personally, and I bought a token from the ID vault, at 50 HP even. But Im unlikely to spend HP on anything besides Roster Slots and Health Packs, personally. I feel everything else is just priced too highly for digital content, but they do have ways to earn digital currency instead, so I don't really complain either.
  • Haetron wrote:
    They're likely not trying to find out which one the players prefer, but the one players are more willing to spend money on HP to buy from.

I suspect they got good results from the ID PVP vault, but not so good from the Deadpool Vault, so they're still feeling it out. I prefer the vault personally, and I bought a token from the ID vault, at 50 HP even. But Im unlikely to spend HP on anything besides Roster Slots and Health Packs, personally. I feel everything else is just priced too highly for digital content, but they do have ways to earn digital currency instead, so I don't really complain either.
    i think my problem in all this lies that there's an obvious choice that's better for the player, forget the $$$, and some were stuck with the worse choice