Avengers Elite Training

Comments

• It's good to see that D3 is finally embracing the P2P wave that every game out there seems to be riding XD

Facetiousness aside, I'd love it if someone livestreamed the event standings in the last hour as if they were the announcer of a horse race.
    (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpSmprqptSk)

"And there goes jacobpc out in front, followed by Josemartins in second, with walkyourpath coming on up in third!"
  • Hm... I am thinking about joining tonight but my Avengers are pretty sub-par. My Thor/wolvie are at Lv 60 and there is no sense in leveling them before the nerf. My model 40 is at level 40 but I don't really know how to play well with him. My best avenger is Spidey at Lv 100. If I had a hulk black cover then I would put iso into him for the tourney but he only has 5 greens so I don't think he would be very useful... I have black widows Grey suit Lv60 and original Lv85.

To those who have entered and seen the competition, do you think it is worth it to join even with a sub-par avengers roster?

bottom line: It's NOT really worth joining even if you had actually viable team (including 141 spiderman with 5 blue). But at least have chance to go even.

With your team you trade 300 HP for some small amount of iso, may not even that if you spend more on boosts than gain.
    Be wise and patient, do somethng else. You can go better in punisher tournament, and really can't lose out at least.
  • Oversoul wrote:
    It's good to see that D3 is finally embracing the P2P wave that every game out there seems to be riding XD

Facetiousness aside, I'd love it if someone livestreamed the event standings in the last hour as if they were the announcer of a horse race.
    (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpSmprqptSk)

"And there goes jacobpc out in front, followed by Josemartins in second, with walkyourpath coming on up in third!"

I'd welcome that too, and some regular snapshots in the meantime.
  • You can play Advanced Training and the other events, get this, at the same time!!! I know like walking and chewing gun, can be difficult for some people.
    God, I really can't. I can do top 1s and 5s in a PvE event or a tournament, but not both at once. If you have even more free time or play more efficiently than I do, then more power to you. I know tournaments don't really have to take long, but I can never manage it in parallel with the 8-hourly grind schedule.

It's none of my business what people do with their HP, and 300 (or 1 day + 8 hours shielded, as I'm coming to think of it) is by no means an unreasonable entry fee. Just wanted to throw in some not-encouragement to people who don't even have their Thorverine maxed participating when, as far as I can see, there's things more obviously profitable to them they could be doing with that time. But I might be completely wrong. Some might manage to snipe a late top 1000 with a 60 Thor, a *Widow and no shields, depending on how scoring goes.

Will be interested to see if the chorus of "what the hell am I going to to with 10k HP? gimme 25k ISO!" reaches any developer ears.
  • bahamut685
    bahamut685 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Yeah... I lack Spidey, and have 1 cover of IM40 and Grey Widow, 2 green Hulk, so this tournament isn't a real option for me. But any chance somebody could tell us how many participants are in it, so far?
  • its basically a mix of wolv/thor/spider -> 3*/3*/spider everyone shielded and making constant jumps towards top, the bottom has lvl 1 teams, not sure what was going on there
  • ROTBI
    ROTBI Posts: 54 Match Maker
    What level are the opponents in this event?

Are there any gimme-fights?

Do you get any iso-8 for winning fights?
  • no brackets? that's gonna be hell. still curious to try at the last day icon_mrgreen.gif
  • ROTBI wrote:
    What level are the opponents in this event?

Are there any gimme-fights?

Do you get any iso-8 for winning fights?

The name is a bit misleading; it's not training, but a live event - this event is similar to the other Player vs. Player (PvP for short) events going on like Army of One. You would play against other people's teams, and earn the usual 70 or 140 ISO for winning each match. That being said, unless you have a really high-level team, Army of One would be a better choice for you to join as it has no entry fee.
  • I don't know whether to grind up and shield today or just wait until closer to the end of the tourney. Everyone is shielded now but everyone will have to reshield anyway.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    jozier wrote:
    I don't know whether to grind up and shield today or just wait until closer to the end of the tourney. Everyone is shielded now but everyone will have to reshield anyway.

For the upper echelon, I suspect we'll see people doing a handful of fights and then reshielding. I think it will be really hard to catch up at the end.
  • Nemek wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    I don't know whether to grind up and shield today or just wait until closer to the end of the tourney. Everyone is shielded now but everyone will have to reshield anyway.

For the upper echelon, I suspect we'll see people doing a handful of fights and then reshielding. I think it will be really hard to catch up at the end.

Yeah. With 10K HP on the line, worth the risk. I might just do that tomorrow instead of having to burn like 2 24 hour shields.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    I think having real pvp battles (actual players on both sides!!) would be awesome. Set it up like a double elimination or round robin or whatever. Tourneys start every x so hours, so you can choose what time you can participate in. Then you have to commit some time to it, otherwise you forfeit (bracket sizes can be adjusted so tourneys last X minutes, whatever seems fine (maybe an hour? 2?). There could be free and hp tourneys for different rewards.
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    And since some of us are doing some betting on the winers, to be honest i wish mischiefmaker good luck, and i hope he can get a satisfying reward.. He helped me a lot when i had 1 star roster by explaining me what characters are good and pretty much how to play the game.

Aw thanks! I appreciate the well-wishes, but barring new information, I'm pretty sure I'm sitting this one out.

The rewards here are really a bit of a head-scratcher to me. Sure, 10k hp is real shiny, but let's think about this a bit logically:

1. Who is going to win the tournament? Probably the guys with max or close to max 3* teams, yes? Don't most already have several thousand hp sitting around? What are they going to do with another couple thousand? If they have maxed 3*s to compete, they don't need the hp for leveling 3* heros by definition, and I'm pretty sure they can take #1 for a 4* cover whenever they want, so that's not really a sink for them either.

2. If you're a mid- to upper-mid tier player, you probably have many characters at max or close to max covers, but your limiting factor is ISO. You might make top 100 to break even, but even if you do, the prize after accounting for shields is 2k iso plus some heroic tokens. That doesn't seem worth the gamble and time investment.

3. If you're a mid- or low-mid level player, you probably have a bunch of maxed 2*s and a handful of 3*s, so you could really use the hero points, but you're gambling that you can play enough to get into at least the top 100 if not top 30 to make anything.

I feel like a reward structure that's tons of ISO (say 100k for #1, 25k for top 100, something like that) and a bit of hero points would be much more compelling for a lot more players, but I'm probably way underestimating how many people are willing to gamble for a top 30 spot.

Problem is: That's not just an elite tournament problem, that's EVERY tournaments problem. especially the lightning rounds. give or take a some better chances for the mid-mid to upper low level players.

and its only going to get worse for the mid-level players after they "funbalance" the hell out of Wolverine and Thor, The only good offensive hardhitters in the 2** hero stable.
  • Hmmm, not sure about this kind of tournament, just seems like a way for the people with near maxed characters to take a lot of HP from the low/mid level people entering
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Liaomiao wrote:
    Hmmm, not sure about this kind of tournament, just seems like a way for the people with near maxed characters to take a lot of HP from the low/mid level people entering

If it makes you feel any better, the people in the top 10 are burning through shields like crazy.
  • im at #18 atm and taking a break to browse the forums.

trying to climb up the rankings is tiring while maintaining position in army of one and thick as thieves. im kinda disappointed i cant use patch :/ i found a nice combo with him and punisher - berserker rage and then molotov icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • I've got 1000 ISO on walkyourpath and nemek being top 3.

Any takers?
  • Nemek wrote:
    Liaomiao wrote:
    Hmmm, not sure about this kind of tournament, just seems like a way for the people with near maxed characters to take a lot of HP from the low/mid level people entering

If it makes you feel any better, the people in the top 10 are burning through shields like crazy.

I forsee many cries of anguish when people attempt to unshield and lose 200 points.
  • Nemek wrote:
    Liaomiao wrote:

Sounds a lot like the set up in Las Vegas (the house always wins). icon_e_smile.gif