If you collect comics.. this is one to get!

2»

Comments

• Tagstar87
    Tagstar87 Posts: 92 Match Maker
    noobprime wrote:
    It's great to actually see some actual fans of the comics here on the boards! I got into comics in my grad school days, so it was all quarter bins or their equivalent, and even now that I have a job, I've still maintained that part of the lifestyle. There's something cool about 'saving' a comic and it's always fun to find issues that will complete runs/storylines. I get my more 'current' comics from the library which has a rather extensive catalog and occasionally ebay if there is something that I must have I can't find elsewhere. Because of that I'm not current, but there are SO MANY COMICS, it doesn't bother me being behind.

I highly highly recommend your local library.

Agreed. I've played MPQ for over a year but had never read any actual comics. Then, on a recent trip to the library, I noticed they had a "graphic novel" section that included numerous comic books of all stripes. I've been slowly making my way through the paperbacks that tell a complete story and love it. Just a few I've recently read:

Frank Miller's "Wolverine"
    Mark Millar's "Civil War"
    Alan Moore's "The Killing Joke"

All good stuff.
  • Alzulra
    Alzulra Posts: 18
    Tagstar87 wrote:

Agreed. I've played MPQ for over a year but had never read any actual comics. Then, on a recent trip to the library, I noticed they had a "graphic novel" section that included numerous comic books of all stripes. I've been slowly making my way through the paperbacks that tell a complete story and love it. Just a few I've recently read:

All good stuff.

The Killing Joke is awesome. Did you see they're going to make an animated adaptation for it? So excited.

I also really liked the Hush storyline from Batman (which also sets up a lot of the other storylines, like in Gotham City Sirens). The Dark Knight Returns is a classic. And of course, Sandman, which has nothing to do with superheroes but is probably one of the best comic series of all time.
  • PUM_SPAK
    PUM_SPAK Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Haetron wrote:
    I tried getting back into reading comics, but they keep canceling everything within 12 issues, and either relaunching with new #1s or fading to obscurity. Eventually just grew weary of it.

You've hit it on the head. Seems like everything is geared for the inevitable TPB release. Get a hot creative team together, re-tell the character's origin for the umpteenth time, and get out. Repeat.

I miss the days where you could set out to collect an uninterrupted run of 300+ issues of a title.

I fear the current superhero movie bubble will burst in the next year or two, as it becomes obvious to audiences how difficult it is to move characters beyond their origin stories in a compelling way.
  • noobprime
    noobprime Posts: 403
    PUM-SPAK wrote:
    I miss the days where you could set out to collect an uninterrupted run of 300+ issues of a title.

Aside the big titles, I think it's actually beneficial for comic runs to come to an end. Even the big titles these days get reboots to start off with a clean slate. It's HARD to be that good for that long. The books with long runs often just have several arcs that are worth a darn.

There is a a certain beauty to titles that have an end, especially when the writers end it well. Planetary, Locke and Key, and Y the last Man, off the top of my head told their stories and told them well. Give some of the non-traditional Marvel/DC stuff a shot. I've found myself liking more of these shorter lived titles.
  • Tagstar87
    Tagstar87 Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Alzulra wrote:
    Tagstar87 wrote:

All good stuff.

The Killing Joke is awesome. Did you see they're going to make an animated adaptation for it? So excited.

I also really liked the Hush storyline from Batman (which also sets up a lot of the other storylines, like in Gotham City Sirens). The Dark Knight Returns is a classic. And of course, Sandman, which has nothing to do with superheroes but is probably one of the best comic series of all time.

Honestly I could just read Batman comics all day everyday, even the **** ones.

Scratch that...

There are no **** ones icon_e_wink.gif
  • Sandfli
    Sandfli Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Started collecting comics in the mid 70's. Stopped in the mid 80's when prices began to jump dramatically. In that time, I amassed a relatively large and impressive collection. I have entire runs of some of the most iconic titles in Marvel history, including the New X-Men, Frank Miller's Daredevil run and nearly every other Marvel comic that was being printed at the time. Hopefully my house never catches on fire.

In 2004, I started collecting again, but only in digital format, no hard copies. I now have ~ 90% of the entire Marvel & DC comics libraries and a wide range of comics from independent companies such as Image Comics, Dark Horse and IDW. It's nice to be able to carry around thousands of comics on my tablet to read any place at any time.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    I had a massive collection, focused from the mid-70s up to the early 90s, but between condition and rarity ... there wasn't anything special. After culling sentimental favorites, I sold off 20K comics on eBay in randomized 5lb grab lots.

I dabbled with Marvel Unlimited, and it was pretty cool.

Same, i still have about 12k comic books stored in sleeves and boxes in the basement. I want to sell them sometime but didn't try hard enough yet i guess. Haven't bought any since the 90's but i'm reading Marvel Unlimited.

Kamalah, Iron Fist and Moon Knight are some of my current faves.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:
    And none of the original Valiant comics.. wanted to get some Harbinger, Archer and Armstrong, Magus etc.. reading in, without touching my physical ones..

I loved Solar, Shadowman, Eternal Warrior and XO Manowar back then. Sad that Valiant died like that.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    I read quite a bit of Marvel but even more of the non-superhero stuff. Saga is amazing, Sixth Gun is awesome, East of West rocks, and so on. I mostly buy TPBs or digital ones from Comixology (though only stuff that is on sale - have found quite a bit of really cool, really quirky stuff that way).
  • The Superior Wilson
    The Superior Wilson Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    I have a weekly pull list from my local comic shop. I'd say it's around 20 titles a month. I try my best to pick up key issues, similar to the Ms. Marvel titles. If I happen to miss out on them when they first come out then I'll wait a week or two and start searching eBay. I won Captain Marvel #14 & 17 for pretty cheap. My favorite thing to collect though would be rare/hard to find variant covers. I would say two of my more valuable ones are Mighty Avengers #3 Eminem variant and The Amazing Spiderman #620 Deadpool variant. I typically only collect trades when it's something very old and I know I have no shot at collecting the singles.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Xenoberyll wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    And none of the original Valiant comics.. wanted to get some Harbinger, Archer and Armstrong, Magus etc.. reading in, without touching my physical ones..

I loved Solar, Shadowman, Eternal Warrior and XO Manowar back then. Sad that Valiant died like that.

Actually, Valiant is back, re-booted all lines and some new ones, and secured movie deals.

You want a role model for young kids.. Zephyr, a young chubby superconfident super-heroine who had to deal with bullying etc.. and become awesome. And this was in the early 90's

Magus Robot Fighter started way back when it was still Dell/Gold Key comics, i have loads of the originals, when Valiant started their run, it was even better... Robots and Dinosours!

Just say no to Michael Bay if they turn Magus into a movie though.
  • I'm part of a huge group of comic readers from both marvel and DC (even tho I don't read DC). If anyone is interested on reading online (specially on the phone) hit me on Line, same nick as I have here.
  • wade66 wrote:
    I usually wait for the TPBs myself. One of my favorites being Silver Surfer: Requiem. Love comics, but hate waiting for the next part of the story. Then got MU and just read them digitally.

Have to admit, KK's book is significantly better than I thought it would be. It makes me think of old school spidey.

Silver Surfer : Requiem is such a great mini

That same artist is doing the main secret wars comic and its **** fantastic. on par with alex ross (kingdom come/ marvels)
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    After a few months of only a couple of issues only some weeks, my dealer told me that they're soliciting the post-Secret War titles. A quick check on Teh Interwebz and I've given him a list of 31 out of the 45 I found.

Normal service will soon be resumed.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moon Roach wrote:
    After a few months of only a couple of issues only some weeks, my dealer told me that they're soliciting the post-Secret War titles. A quick check on Teh Interwebz and I've given him a list of 31 out of the 45 I found.

My dealer... sounds bad.. but , yup, it is just as bad.. also will be snagging me each of the #1's as they come.. but he also told me that most of the story arcs and BIG changes will happen in issue #2 of each title.. Including new villans or new rivalry's/team ups, for most of them.

So, make sure to snag the #2's if you can afford it.. should be loads of first appearances.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    Moon Roach wrote:

My dealer... sounds bad.. but , yup, it is just as bad.. also will be snagging me each of the #1's as they come.. but he also told me that most of the story arcs and BIG changes will happen in issue #2 of each title.. Including new villans or new rivalry's/team ups, for most of them.

So, make sure to snag the #2's if you can afford it.. should be loads of first appearances.

I'll be getting #2, and #3, and... That's my new ongoing standing order.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just subscribed to Marvel Unlimited and I really like it so far. I recommend it.

I'm reading All-New X-men right now and I'm really enjoying it. And now I even prefer the versions of Cyclops and Jean that we have in the game. I feel like I know exactly which panels inspired Jean's purpleflag.png and greenflag.png animations and that's kinda cool.

I actually dabbled in MU because of the ties in with MPQ. It was during the Avengers- Ultron period, which mpq gave us a code for one month free at subscription. I tried it, and liked it. At $10 a month, it is very affordable. And I can catch back the old comics too!

I went to read the ANXM after JG was released in MPQ... And I must say I enjoy the teen version of JG character development...