If you collect comics.. this is one to get!

Malcrof
Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2015 in Off Topic
Ms. Marvel #17
Is there anything Ms. Marvel fans have wanted more than seeing Kamala Khan and Carol Danvers fight crime together? Probably not, and in this month’s Ms. Marvel #17, G. Willow Wilson has given us a team-up that’s well worth the wait. A continuation of Ms. Marvel’s "Last Days" storyline, this month sees Kamala recruit her role model and namesake for one last act of heroism before the end of the world

Comments

• snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    This is something I've always wondered, do you guys still read comics and if you do, how do you do it? Do you get singles, trades or just get collections of old material to reread or read for the first time years after the fact? I only get collections and only if I can get the complete thing. For instance right now I'm reading the Brubaker-Fraction Iron fist complete collection volume two because it's the second half of a whole, I love the character and I don't care a bit about current stories because it seems like every couple years they reboot everything.

I'm also getting and loving the Marvel Epic Collections. I have:
    Wolverine - Madripoor Nights
    Iron Man - War Games
    Iron Fist - The Fury of Iron Fist
    Silver Surfer - When Calls Galactus
    Thor - A Kingdom Lost

I plan on getting the Moonknight and Herroes For Hire collections soon.
  • Malcrof
    My budget for books is around $50/mo right now, since well.. new house and such, kinda broke, so i only collect titles i really want. My wife LOVES Ms. Marvel, so i have KKs complete run, as well as almost all of Secret Wars (great reads)

After over 35 years of collecting.. i hesitate to give a real number, but i have about 30+ longboxes of ones i have saved, i got a box a month ago to make a "roster cover" collection. I have sold and traded probably a thousand or so over the years..

Some, i read digitally to keep the comic in NM+ , but some, you just have to read, and then run out and buy a 2nd to save.

Trying to save up for October, 40+ reboots, everything starting at #1.. may need a 2nd job, or to convince my wife we really don't need 2 vehicles or something. dunno, my local shop knows to save them all for me, even if it takes me a couple months to pick them all up.
  • I'm a bit less extreme than Malcrof. I only buy hard cover collections of stories or read on Marvel's site.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    snlf25 wrote:
    This is something I've always wondered, do you guys still read comics and if you do, how do you do it? Do you get singles, trades or just get collections of old material to reread or read for the first time years after the fact? I only get collections and only if I can get the complete thing. For instance right now I'm reading the Brubaker-Fraction Iron fist complete collection volume two because it's the second half of a whole, I love the character and I don't care a bit about current stories because it seems like every couple years they reboot everything.

I'm also getting and loving the Marvel Epic Collections. I have:
    Wolverine - Madripoor Nights
    Iron Man - War Games
    Iron Fist - The Fury of Iron Fist
    Silver Surfer - When Calls Galactus
    Thor - A Kingdom Lost

I plan on getting the Moonknight and Herroes For Hire collections soon.

I had about 30 a month in my standing order at my local comic shop. Almost all Marvel, a few independents, such as anything by J Michael Straczynski.

Now that Secret Wars has kicked off, I can't be bothered and maybe I'll pick them up as trades when they're out. Maybe. It's less a jumping-on point than a jumping-off point. Hopefully the enthusiasm will pick up again in a few months when it's all over.
  • Malcrof
    The sign of a collector is easy... I was watching old NCIS episodes on my 1/2 day.. and McGee was reading Iron Fist # 14 at his desk.. and DiNozzo comes up and smacks it out of his hands.. i actually yelled at my TV and my wife thought i was insane..

It's like watching old movies.. like Alice, Sweet Alice.. and seeing them put a '52 mantle in the spokes of a bike to make the brrrrooom noise.. sure it was 1976, but makes me weep...

i am old.
  • wiz_biz
    wiz_biz Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    i think malcrof and moonroach probably have us all beat icon_e_smile.gif i typically go the route of trade paperbacks or big volumes/compendiums once they're available, but started some buying singles again when squirrel girl came out a few months ago. i'm nuts for ryan north and have been a faithful follower of dinosaur comics for years, so i couldn't resist! and now with secret wars upon us, i decided to dip my feet in those waters - been reading secret wars, battleworld, infinity guantlet, master of kung fu, and (the best by far) deadpool's secret secret wars. buying the singles is certainly not very economic, and i'm also a bit of an impulse shopper (what, silicon molds of deadpool's head sitting by the register?? don't mind if i do!) but oh well, what's all this disposable income for if you're not going to enjoy it! haven't jumped on the KK bandwagon yet but now that there are several volumes available, i'm sure it won't be long...
  • noobprime
    noobprime Posts: 403
    It's great to actually see some actual fans of the comics here on the boards! I got into comics in my grad school days, so it was all quarter bins or their equivalent, and even now that I have a job, I've still maintained that part of the lifestyle. There's something cool about 'saving' a comic and it's always fun to find issues that will complete runs/storylines. I get my more 'current' comics from the library which has a rather extensive catalog and occasionally ebay if there is something that I must have I can't find elsewhere. Because of that I'm not current, but there are SO MANY COMICS, it doesn't bother me being behind.

I highly highly recommend your local library.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    I just subscribed to Marvel Unlimited and I really like it so far. I recommend it.

I'm reading All-New X-men right now and I'm really enjoying it. And now I even prefer the versions of Cyclops and Jean that we have in the game. I feel like I know exactly which panels inspired Jean's purpleflag.png and greenflag.png animations and that's kinda cool.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Ditto, Gunther. I have a Marvel Unlimited subscription, and I'm really enjoying catching up on an amazing amount of stuff. I'm loving how I can actually read some of those epic cross-overs, like Civil War, AvX, and House of M, since I never could afford to buy all the comics in the cross-overs back then. The only downside is being 6 months behind everyone else!
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    I also switched to Marvel Unlimited from paper trade backs. It's much easier and I get to read so many more series for so less money.
    Same thing really as when I got the network instead of buying PPV DVDs.
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Also a fan of unlimited - love being able to read older stuff across multiple lines.
  • Malcrof
    So for on-line reading, who has the bigger archive, scribd or marvel unlimited.

Would love to go back and read old Groo series and some old Dark Horse/Valiant stuff , so i know MU won't have those.
  • Alzulra
    Alzulra Posts: 18
    I'm a super casual collector - I buy trade paperbacks, but only for comics that really intrigue me. I think they're a nice way to collect a whole storyline at once if you haven't been reading comics since the beginning of time. Interestingly enough, I mostly have DC comics. I am currently collecting the Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel ones, though. The art is great and they're extremely well-written. Being a teacher who's around teenagers for the majority of my day, nothing irritates me more than teenage characters in books/movies/whatever who don't talk or act anything like real ones. That's not a problem in the new Ms. Marvel. And I like that they're appropriate for all audiences, so I can try to sway some of my students into reading comics. icon_lol.gif
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof wrote:

Would love to go back and read old Groo series and some old Dark Horse/Valiant stuff , so i know MU won't have those.

MU is definitely the way to go for Marvel.

If you want variety, Scribd has a great selection from a variety of publishers ... sort of like a TPB library; claims to have 10,000 "collections", each of which is similar to a collected volume, each containing several issues up to a couple dozen issues:
    https://www.scribd.com/comics

was using http://www.hellocomic.com/ but they seem to be having technical difficulties right now

before i sign up with scribd, i would like to know if they have what i want.. they don't appear to allow browsing their catalog without entering CC info first.
  • im not gonna lie, i download a vast majority of what ive read. when it comes to classics and what not, (right now im reading The original Marvel Premiere; its the first appearance of dr. strange, and iron fist), if i truly enjoy a book i buy it, lately though ive bought the secret wars comics.

Right now im reading
    Secret Wars 2015
    Marvel Premiere
    Deadpool (original run)
    Sandman
    Iron Fist (Volume 1)
  • wade66
    wade66 Posts: 212 Tile Toppler
    I usually wait for the TPBs myself. One of my favorites being Silver Surfer: Requiem. Love comics, but hate waiting for the next part of the story. Then got MU and just read them digitally.

Have to admit, KK's book is significantly better than I thought it would be. It makes me think of old school spidey.
  • I tried getting back into reading comics, but they keep canceling everything within 12 issues, and either relaunching with new #1s or fading to obscurity. Eventually just grew weary of it.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

MU is definitely the way to go for Marvel.

If you want variety, Scribd has a great selection from a variety of publishers ... sort of like a TPB library; claims to have 10,000 "collections", each of which is similar to a collected volume, each containing several issues up to a couple dozen issues:
    https://www.scribd.com/comics

was using http://www.hellocomic.com/ but they seem to be having technical difficulties right now

before i sign up with scribd, i would like to know if they have what i want.. they don't appear to allow browsing their catalog without entering CC info first.

Try here:
    https://www.scribd.com/browse

No Groo...sorry, man icon_cry.gif

And none of the original Valiant comics.. wanted to get some Harbinger, Archer and Armstrong, Magus etc.. reading in, without touching my physical ones..
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    snlf25 wrote:
    This is something I've always wondered, do you guys still read comics and if you do, how do you do it?
    Kickass torrents, "Marvel Week" I'm in Japan, so buying weekly is unreasonable. But, if something makes an impression, I'm sure to pay cash for them. Last time in Canada, I bought a lot of All-New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Hawkeye and Daredevil trades. And occasionally I order trades on Amazon Japan. If a comic has no re-read value, I can't feel bad about not paying. Especially living in Japan where every ramen shop/barber shop/dentist etc has a small comic library. Comics need to be treated like books more than magazines.
  • I haven't actually read comics all that much but since I started playing this game, I got interested in finding out more about the characters that I'd mostly seen in movies before. I currently subscribe to Marvel Unlimited and I feel it's a great way to (slowly) work through the back issues of the Marvel world.