New FF4 Trailer..movie actually looks great!

Malcrof
Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2015 in Off Topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=150&v=AAgnQdiZFsQ

I will be the first to admit, when i saw the first trailer i went "meh, not again"...

Then Comic-con happened. New trailers released.

The 2nd trailer (above) makes this movie look almost epic! This might have a chance at being what we wanted from the first 2!

Thoughts?

Comments

• Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Keep in mind, it's all a matter of personal taste, but I thought that looked pretty bad. The powers look a lot more like a cartoon than they should at this point, and it seemed to show lots of footage from the climactic battle with Doom. Plus, Doom looks terrible.

If you dig it, please enjoy it, but it's really far from what I might want from a Fantastic Four movie (which is basically a tribute to John Byrne's run). It's a real shame, since I loved Chronicle, and had a lot of hopes for this, but if this is their best trailer, maybe I won't enjoy it much.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm going to watch it, it looks 10x better than the first 2, but I don't understand why they are obsessed with making Doom's armor grow on him... as if his armor was a mutation caused by the event like Thing's rock body. The Thing looks much better than the one from the other 2 movies.

I don't have high hopes for it, but I hope it's better than I expect it to be. That is always refreshing.
  • Malcrof
    JVReal wrote:
    I'm going to watch it, it looks 10x better than the first 2, but I don't understand why they are obsessed with making Doom's armor grow on him.

I still don't know why, with all the amazing villains out there, they are doing Doom, AGAIN. Sure he is the penultimate FF4 villain, but give us something unexpected. Still going to see it in the theaters, and the fact that Doom has acted as a hero in some cases, makes me hope that they at least expand on him some, he is a very diverse character.
  • I'm optimistic and I want it to do well, but here's my hype ranking for upcoming comic movie trailers:

1) Bats v Supes
    2) Ant-Man
    3a) F4
    3b) Suicide Squad

It looks better than the previous two installments, at least. Plus I like the four actors separately, especially Kate Mara (House of Cards, anyone?)
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm optimistic and I want it to do well, but here's my hype ranking for upcoming comic movie trailers:

1) Bats v Supes
    2) Ant-Man
    3a) F4
    3b) Suicide Squad

It looks better than the previous two installments, at least. Plus I like the four actors separately, especially Kate Mara (House of Cards, anyone?)

B. v S. May have the biggest opportunity to disappoint, but it is also, by far, the most interesting if the 4 you list because it is so ambitious. Dc is trying to atone for man of steel, reboot batman, create a shared movie universe, and introduce WW and aquaman all in the same film. Seems likely to be a disaster, but could also be a ton of fun if it somehow works.

Antman has the lowest floor. Seems unlikely to be spectacular, but almost all of the marvel films are watchable.

Suicide squad makes little sense to me. Its trying to do many of the same things as b. v s. but without the well known characters or buzz. It seems very aggressive of dc to green light both simultaneously.

FF exists purely because Fox doesn't want to give the property back to marvel. I don't think they know what to do with the franchise or put a lot of effort into this film. Doom looks bad and the story details about him sound even worse. The core team is full of interesting actors, and this more recent trailers have been decent, but my hopes remain very low.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    My post Comic-Con interest in upcoming superhero movies:

1.) Deadpool
    2.) Suicide Squad
    3.) X-Men: Age of Apocalypse
    4.) Batman v. Superman
    5.) Ant-Man
    6.) Fantastic Four

How Fox can make two of my three most anticipated upcoming movies and completely screw up FF always just makes me shake my head.

I am glad the trailer has some people like the OP excited. I watched it and just thought another failed attempt. I'll wait until it torrents. It will probably be better if I don't have to spend money to see it.
  • Sullstar
    Sullstar Posts: 74 Match Maker
    For fans of the Fantastic Four and the comics, they probably won't like this, but as someone who was never an F4 guy, I'm somewhat looking forward to it because I don't really care what they change from the source material, as long as it's a good movie, that's all that matters, and I also think it appeals to the GA. I think this origin is more compelling than the traditional cosmic rays in space origin story, just depends on if they tell it well.

Not a fan of how Doom and Thing look but I think they've got Sue, Reed and Johnny near-perfect from what I've seen. I just want to see Invisible Woman use her force bubbles properly and that's what they've shown in the trailers, because they got it horribly wrong with Jessica Alba.

I like how we know little of the plot as they haven't given away too much.

It's become cliche to say but it does look like a good science fiction film, but it may not be a great F4 film.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    FF4?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dse8nyM4cFU

Kain was such a badass.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Antman has the lowest floor. Seems unlikely to be spectacular, but almost all of the marvel films are watchable.

Highest floor. If it had the "lowest" floor, that would mean its worst potential performance would be the worst of those listed.

Highest floor = "the worst-case scenario is better for Ant-Man than for the others."
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    I've heard FF was terrible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX7abBTZewI, for example. I value his opinion very much.

My local theatre will run it for $5 a ticket. Eh......I haven't seen Ant Man yet. I think I'd prefer it.
  • Malcrof
    ronin-san wrote:
    I've heard FF was terrible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX7abBTZewI, for example. I value his opinion very much.

My local theatre will run it for $5 a ticket. Eh......I haven't seen Ant Man yet. I think I'd prefer it.

Had 2 friends see screenings last night, one an actual comic book freak, and the other.. his wife.

Wife loved it as a standalone movie, not knowing any of the characters much before-hand. My friend thought it had no business being an F4 movie, they should have made up characters that didn't exist and done a one off.
  • Too many errors to list.... it was alright, way better than the rise of the silver surfer, but still lacked ALOT>
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    DFiPL wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

Highest floor. If it had the "lowest" floor, that would mean its worst potential performance would be the worst of those listed.

Highest floor = "the worst-case scenario is better for Ant-Man than for the others."

You are right of course. Thank you for the correction.
  • GMadMan040
    GMadMan040 Posts: 207
    While hardly the disaster that it's 9% on Rotten Tomatoes would indicate, it's not a good movie. Most of the things said in those reviews are true though. The characters are poorly developed, the pacing and editing is disjointed, and nothing in the movie feels important.

The film looks alright and has a different, more serious feel to it. Had they actually gone somewhere with the characters and the story, it could have been a success.

Except for the one thing that really bothers me - how do the studios keep screwing up one of the most ready made villains of all time? Why do they keep insisting on giving Dr. Doom crazy superpowers and some lame lovelorn backstory? In the comics, Doom is a serious threat because of his drive and intellect. He's had powers in the past, but all of them have been temporary and gained through using his intelligence. He's also a diplomat and utilizes his political power regularly. In this film his characterization is a disaster.

I'm guessing this film has pretty much killed any chance of there ever being a high-quality FF film ever being made. Which is too bad, because for me at least, it was one of my favorite comics when I was coming up through the ranks.