Ew! It's the Mud-Thing!

Options
GundamY
GundamY Posts: 182
edited August 2015 in Speculation and Concepts
As a response to 20three's forum post "Should there be more Spiderman villains?" https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31526, I'd say "Why not?". But it can't be just any villains though! How about a combination of 2? (Man, i really love fusion characters like in Dragon Ball Z...)

Mud_Thing.jpg

Enter the Mud-Thing, an abomination that was accidentally created when Sandman (Flint Marko) and Hydro-man (Morris Bench) tackled each other in a brawl. A mindless creature who barely has any sentience and memory recollection of its previous two separate entities. Sadie Frickett is the only human who can keep Mud-Thing under subjugation and proceeded to gain legal custody of the gigantic beast.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngMud-Thing (Ownership of Sadie Frickett)

218.jpg

yellowflag.pngLandslide: Mud-Thing wrecks a part of its surroundings to protect Sadie from unwanted harassment. Destroy tiles on the board in a random diagonal pattern (i.e. / or \ direction). Damage the enemy team by 300 HP.

Max Level: When the tiles are destroyed, there is a 40% chance of a random friendly tile falling into the board (Attack, Strike, or Protect tiles with 200 strength)

blueflag.pngQuicksand: Intruders will have an unwelcoming surprise as Mud-Thing sinks them into a marsh trap. Create 3 Countdown Tiles that each has a timer of 5 turns. When the timer is up, stun the target for 3 turns.

Max Level: The Countdown Tiles will restart their 5 turns timer and stun the enemy team for 4 turns.

blackflag.png Soul Molecule (Passive): Deep within the recess of the Mud-Thing, Sandman and Hydro-Man desire to get out of the prison that they're stuck in together. When Mud-Thing is the last one standing in your team, you do not lose if Mud-Thing is downed. Instead, Mud-Thing will split into two teammates in the form of Sandman and Hydro-Man ( star.pngstar.png each)

Max Level: When Sandman and Hydro-Man are damaged by an AoE attack (i.e. Gamora's "Skull Cracker"), they are forcibly merged into the Mud-Thing once again.

Oh yes, I'm aware that I need to elaborate the movesets of Sandman and Hydro-Man when they're fully separated, so whoever already made at least one of the two movesets, please post your link so I can examine it and reconfigure to my interpretations. Stay tuned for more updates! icon_e_wink.gif

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Way to find an obscure villain and have some fun with it!

yellowflag.png Lives up to its name, and adding the ultron sentry type tile drop..loving this. need to see AP and max damage on the AOE. I would add the tile drop at 25% at 4 covers, 40% at 5, for build diversity.

blueflag.png sounds like a 3 tile Billy Club. The problem here is, even if they all resolve, they will stun the same person, 3 times, and will end up being just a standard 3 turn stun. With the name Quicksand, i would think it slows the enemy down, So, here is what i think a quicksand ability would be like
    7 AP.. places an 8 turn cd tile on the board, while this CD tile is in play, all enemy abilities cost 1 AP more. If CD tile resolves, enemy is swallowed up by the quicksand and dies.
    2 covers, enemy abilities cost 2 ap more
    3 covers, CD tile timer reduced to 6
    4 covers, 2 CD tiles are created, AP cost increased to 9 AP.
    5 covers, both CD tiles timers reduced to 5

This of it like Sniper Rifle or Deadly Shot goon tiles, mixed with Starlord.. slowing them down ability wise, with a chance to 1 shot.. Like quicksand!

blackflag.png instead of having to add 2 more 2* chars just to make a single 4*, have this ability work like Vision or Ant-Man, a dual ability. When above 50% health, does 10% extra match damage for each ally still fighting. While below 50% health, creates 2 trap tiles (sandman and hydroman). One yellowflag.png and one blueflag.png . They work like Xforce's recovery, except if you match them, you are healed by X amount, if the enemy matches them, it does X damage.

Thoughts?
  • LuciferianX
    LuciferianX Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Y'all know I'm never going to agree to an 'auto-down' ability; the only one I can handle is Venom, and that's because if you actually field enough tiles over enough time, shoot, you may as well nom your opponent. The other is Punisher's redflag.png Retribution, which is fine based on the design. Even with 8 turns, eh. Makes me itch.

yellowflag.png Landslide is actually interesting to me; I'm assuming you're capping out the damage in the 1600/2200 range, with the promise of board shake and friendly tiles falling. I like this power as a concept. I think it works and it isn't something we see a lot of. At max level:

-- 3600 (I forgot you said 4*)
    -- Two random slashes of 5 tiles each
    -- Which creates a special tile, +1 tile for every match resulting from landslide (max 2 tiles per cascade, max total 6).

blackflag.png Quicksand (yes, I changed color on you, humor me); creates a 5x5 grid of trap tiles. When these tiles are matched, the opponent loses 1 AP of the matched color and takes 300 damage. At max level:

-- 800 damage per match (remember there's 25 of these things)
    -- 1 round stun per trap matched (max 3 rounds)
    -- 2 AP of same trap color lost

If that doesn't grind you to a halt, nothing will.

Soul Molecule: I get the concept, but it's a little kludgey and doesn't quite work for me. I would rather see this:

blueflag.png Soulbound (Passive): When Mud-Dude is downed, he exchanges all remaining blue for health and stands back up. Minimum 10 blue, gains 200 health per blue consumed and empties the battery. At five:
    -- Minimum 8 blue
    -- Gains 500 health per blue consumed this way

This makes it a nastier, and more reliable heal on par with R&G, it isn't so OP that it's unstoppable and the AI is likely to only get it once, assuming no other blue users, and with a 12k health pool, it won't take much to bring him almost all the way back from the dead.
  • Malcrof
    Options

blackflag.png Quicksand (yes, I changed color on you, humor me); creates a 5x5 grid of trap tiles. When these tiles are matched, the opponent loses 1 AP of the matched color and takes 300 damage. At max level:

-- 800 damage per match (remember there's 25 of these things)
    -- 1 round stun per trap matched (max 3 rounds)
    -- 2 AP of same trap color lost

If that doesn't grind you to a halt, nothing will.

What happens if you match them yourself?
    Soul Molecule: I get the concept, but it's a little kludgey and doesn't quite work for me. I would rather see this:

blueflag.png Soulbound (Passive): When Mud-Dude is downed, he exchanges all remaining blue for health and stands back up. Minimum 10 blue, gains 200 health per blue consumed and empties the battery. At five:
    -- Minimum 8 blue
    -- Gains 500 health per blue consumed this way

This makes it a nastier, and more reliable heal on par with R&G, it isn't so OP that it's unstoppable and the AI is likely to only get it once, assuming no other blue users, and with a 12k health pool, it won't take much to bring him almost all the way back from the dead.

^This, now that is great. Here is the thing.. being a 4*, he needs a 2 fold passive, as is the norm now.. so what will it do while he is alive and kicking? Whatever it is, it should cost 1 blue AP each time it activates.. making sure you can't stockpile 30 blue AP and just infinitely use him.
  • GundamY
    GundamY Posts: 182
    Options
    Okay, now that I got two MPQ veterans giving me some balancing advice, Lucifer and Malcrof gave Mud-Thing a new makeover as followed here:

yellowflag.pngLandslide: Mud-Thing wrecks a part of its surroundings to protect Sadie from unwanted harassment. Destroy tiles on the board in a random diagonal 5-tiles pattern (i.e. / or \ direction). Damage the enemy team by 1600 health. When the tiles are destroyed, there is a 25% chance of a random friendly tile falling into the board (Attack, Strike, or Protect tiles with 200 strength) Whenever you make a match as a result of the falling tiles, gain one additional friendly tile.

Max Level: Enemy team takes 3600 damage. Two random slashes of 5 tiles can be destroyed, and 40% chance of a random friendly tile with 300 strength.

blackflag.png Quicksand: Intruders will have an unwelcoming surprise as Mud-Thing sinks them into a marsh trap. Create a 5x5 grid of trap tiles in the center of the board. When these tiles are matched by the opponent, they lose 1 AP of the matched color and take 300 damage.

Max Level: If you match the traps tiles, Mud-Thing recovers a portion of its health by 250 each. If the enemy makes the match with the trap tiles, they take 800 damage and get stunned 1 turn per match (stun lasts 3 turns maximum in either side's turn). 2 AP will be lost based on which color they matched with the trap tiles.

blueflag.pngSoulbound (Passive): Deep within the recesses of the Mud-Thing, Sandman and Hydro-Man still kept their survival instincts. When Mud-Thing is downed, he exchanges all remaining blue AP to revive itself. Must have at least 10 blue AP to trigger this passive, and gain 200 health per blue consumed.

Max Level: Now requires a minimum of 8 Blue AP to revive itself after being down. Gain 500 health per blue AP consumed.
      Trap tiles made by Mud-Thing's "Quicksand" cannot be disabled by enemy tiles.
      For "Landslide", whenever you match 5 or more tiles from the falling tiles, create 2 friendly random tiles at 500 strength (maximum friendly tiles created is 6 per turn).

I made the trap tiles immune to being disabled by enemy tiles because I am countering Human Torch's blackflag.png Inferno (because Mud-Thing is flame retardant, see?) So the only way to get rid of the trap tiles is making a match with them anyways, which leads to the "Heads I win, tails you lose" scenario.

So there you go, guys. Malcrof asked what happens if Mud-Thing matches its own trap tiles. The reason why I put an extra recovery bonus is because I imagine Mud-Thing is basically reabsorbing its own essence to regain lost mass from setting up a quicksand trap, you know? I hope this makes sense to the both of you! I sure as hell would not want to deal with Mud-Thing by myself!
  • Malcrof
    Options
    GundamY wrote:
    O
      Trap tiles made by Mud-Thing's "Quicksand" cannot be disabled by enemy tiles.
      For "Landslide", whenever you match 5 or more tiles from the falling tiles, create 2 friendly random tiles at 500 strength (maximum friendly tiles created is 6 per turn).

I made the trap tiles immune to being disabled by enemy tiles because I am countering Human Torch's blackflag.png Inferno (because Mud-Thing is flame retardant, see?) So the only way to get rid of the trap tiles is making a match with them anyways, which leads to the "Heads I win, tails you lose" scenario.

A counter to attack tiles is one of the things missing from the game.. imagine creating a special tile, like electra's that makes him immune to attack tiles, this would be a nifty thing. I know, off topic, just a brainstorm.. if character takes X damage from attack tiles, created a shield tile equal to the damage taken. (immune to fire damage!)
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't know mud-thing. Is it a bit clay face ala Batman?
  • LuciferianX
    Options
    It's a trap tile; one of the fundamental rules of trap tiles is that they can be overwritten. You can add 'if this tile is overwritten, X happens,' but that's kind of the nature of traps. So I can't agree with that part, that's a very they either are or aren't traps. Disarm is why traps are so nasty, if you follow. It's a balancing act. Because it has limitation, "can be overwritten," it gains additional force and effect.
  • LuciferianX
    Options
    @ronin-san Clayface is a tragic figure who became a villain; a master of disguise and star of stage & screen. Mud-Thing is more of a Marvel monster that they built a plot around when someone asked the question "Don't water & sand make mud? What happens if..." and voila, Mud-Thing was born.

Oh, upon further consideration. Landslide should be limited to 16 tiles (4x4), which is a quarter of the board. 5x5 is too big and too powerful even for Trap tiles.
  • LuciferianX
    Options
    @GundamY per your rep, not exactly. I'll write a separate post explaining trap tiles and why they work the way they do. They are their own type, for now accept the following:

Trap tiles always activate/are destroyedif matched or line matched by the opponent and are then consumed (core rule; this cannot change, or they become OP)

1. Trap tiles can be overwritten (limitation)
    2. They can be destroyed based on the rules behind it (limitation)
    3. Trap tiles are invisible (advantage)
    4. They cannot be control switched (huge advantage)
    5. Because of the limitations, they tend to be overall more powerful tiles

Yes, you can add "if player matches, deal x damage and move it," all Daredevil, but he gets one per 8 AP. 16 that you constantly move is insane. So no. However, "you match it and it becomes a shield tile," okay, now that's interesting and opens up tactical options.