*** Colossus (Classic) ***

Comments

• CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bear in mind that if you use another character's power that character will move to the front of your team, even if Immovable Object is out or Colossus made the last match. Immovable Object returns him to the front at the end of your turn, but doesn't stop teammates from temporarily stepping up to use powers.
  • Runningwild
    Runningwild Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    I will double check that. Thanks Crooked.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Imagine you had a 0/0/5 colossus as your last man standing. Could you trigger yourself into a recurring series of fastballs where no one gets a turn until you or your opponent gets splattered (for which read runs out of health)?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    AXP_isme wrote:
    Imagine you had a 0/0/5 colossus as your last man standing. Could you trigger yourself into a recurring series of fastballs where no one gets a turn until you or your opponent gets splattered (for which read runs out of health)?
    Colossus can't Fastball himself. It's one of the many liabilities of Fastball Special.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    However, a last man (non-Colossus) / woman standing can use a Fast Ball Special TU to throw himself / herself.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    hurcules wrote:
    However, a last man (non-Colossus) / woman standing can use a Fast Ball Special TU to throw himself / herself.

At least when the ai does it they come down immediately even if they are supposed to be airborne for 3 turns. Love when gsbw is alone with no AP and they decide to fastball special into sniper
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    What if
    yellowflag.png had a true damage reduction in addition to his damage resistance? So he resists a percentage of total damage (all strikes and protects applied) and then shrugs off a set amount of damage (like an extra shield just for him). That part of the power could be passive, so it works even when he's "accidentally" in front.

blackflag.png cost 8 AP to toss someone and drained up to 5 AP in the color of ability it triggers? Could be set to choose the ability that has the most AP ready (so it can be less random) and possibly doing only the bonus damage from the throw when none of the powers have 5 AP ready when the character lands.
  • I saw in the poll that the preferred build is 5/5/3. I had him maxed (not in ISO) recently, so i would like to ask why and if that is really better.

The difference from 3 yellow to 5 is only 5% damage reduction and 2 extra turns.
    In the games i used him, i would use the yellow to defend from an enemy ability, not throw it right away to block match damage, specially since the tile can get matched. Unless i managed to get like 14 yellow or pretty close that would allow me to use it again.

The difference from 3 black to 5 is that the airborne character comes down right away instead of waiting 2 more turns.

Some people said that it can be used to save someone from an attack, but won't 1 turn be enough for that in most cases?
    Also, black costs a lot and probably we won't focus to collect it, so that means Fastball Special is gonna be used really late in the game, at a point where other abilities are sure to have been fired. So wouldn't be better to have a character come back right away using an ability that potentially could kill someone? With 3 on black wouldn't you just give the enemy 2 more turns to fire an ability?

Sure, you can get something useless, but to minimize the chances of an enemy getting AP/cascades to fire a power, wouldn't be better having a character firing something to kill enemies 1 turn later rather than 3?

I know Colossus is not in a good spot, but if you have to use him, i'm tending to 3/5/5. 5% extra damage reduction doesn't seem to compare to having a potential killing ability firing 1 turn later rather than 3.
    Even if we say the power ir randomly chosen, is the certainty of just 5% extra reduction better?
  • Quebbster
    Lanko8 wrote:
    I saw in the poll that the preferred build is 5/5/3. I had him maxed (not in ISO) recently, so i would like to ask why and if that is really better.

The difference from 3 yellow to 5 is only 5% damage reduction and 2 extra turns.
    In the games i used him, i would use the yellow to defend from an enemy ability, not throw it right away to block match damage, specially since the tile can get matched. Unless i managed to get like 14 yellow or pretty close that would allow me to use it again.

The difference from 3 black to 5 is that the airborne character comes down right away instead of waiting 2 more turns.

Some people said that it can be used to save someone from an attack, but won't 1 turn be enough for that in most cases?
    Also, black costs a lot and probably we won't focus to collect it, so that means Fastball Special is gonna be used really late in the game, at a point where other abilities are sure to have been fired. So wouldn't be better to have a character come back right away using an ability that potentially could kill someone? With 3 on black wouldn't you just give the enemy 2 more turns to fire an ability?

Sure, you can get something useless, but to minimize the chances of an enemy getting AP/cascades to fire a power, wouldn't be better having a character firing something to kill enemies 1 turn later rather than 3?

I know Colossus is not in a good spot, but if you have to use him, i'm tending to 3/5/5. 5% extra damage reduction doesn't seem to compare to having a potential killing ability firing 1 turn later rather than 3.
    Even if we say the power ir randomly chosen, is the certainty of just 5% extra reduction better?
    In my experience, those two extra turns of Immovable Object can make a lot of difference (though you are right the 5% increase in reduction is fairly marginal). I tend to use Immovable Object a lot and Fastball Special only rarely - I'm not going out of my way to collect black AP for it, once I do get enough I may not have a suitable teammate to throw, etc. The power is neat but has a few too many complications to be worth it.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lanko8 wrote:
    I saw in the poll that the preferred build is 5/5/3. I had him maxed (not in ISO) recently, so i would like to ask why and if that is really better.

I 100% agree with you, but the few reasons why I went 5/5/3 and not 3/5/6

1. Black is mostly random, costs 13. There are many better options
    2. Because yellow is placeable it pretty much survives which is good, because red is his best skill, and yellow helps facilitate the use by insuring he's out front. To me that is what yellow is. A red enabler
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Lanko8 wrote:

I 100% agree with you, but the few reasons why I went 5/5/3 and not 3/5/6

2. Because yellow is placeable it pretty much survives which is good, because red is his best skill, and yellow helps facilitate the use by insuring he's out front. To me that is what yellow is. A red enabler

Thats it, you nailed it with number 2. The purpose of yellow is being able to launch red with Colossus in front. If red was his best match color it would be different but being yellow, you really need to fire yellow first to maximize reds damage.
  • Quebbster
    As much as I like Colossus, I still have to admit he is pretty lackluster even when boosted. His Colossal Punch only does fair damage for the AP under optimal conditions. He'd probably work better if the numbers were reversed. Instead of doing [a little] damage as a baseline and [a lot] more when in the front, he should do [a lot] as the baseline and [a little] more when front and center. Keep the team damage at higher levels too, it's a nice surprise. icon_e_smile.gif
    I always get annoyed when I try to pull off a Colossal Punch and then realize Colossus was not in front, so I basically wasted 11 AP for middling damage.
  • heckbringer
    heckbringer Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Feels really weird that I can just select another character to damage when he's got that yellow counter out...
  • generalTsobot
    generalTsobot Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Polares wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    <snip>

Thats it, you nailed it with number 2. The purpose of yellow is being able to launch red with Colossus in front. If red was his best match color it would be different but being yellow, you really need to fire yellow first to maximize reds damage.

Playing devil's advocate for a sec...

If yellow's biggest function as a trigger for red, then 3 covers is functionally the same as 5 since you probably wouldn't fire off his yellow until you also had enough red AP. This would why I built Mystique 3/5/5, treating her purple is an enabler for firing off her black.

Granted, unlike Colossus's yellow/red, Mystique's purple disappears once you fire her black, so it's not quite apples-to-apples since you get the added benefit of the yellow tile even after you fire off his red.

I think the heart of the matter is that neither yellow nor black at 5 vs. 3 covers is all that compelling. Since black is expensive and situational -- and there are plenty of better black users -- 5/5/3 still probably makes the most sense. If you're planning to only run him on teams where he's the sole active black user, I can see a case for 3/5/5.
  • Dunamis101
    Dunamis101 Posts: 72 Match Maker
    yellowflag.png Make it 6 ap, i feel this power is the epitome of his character and making it 6 ap will cause his red to operate more effectively. Especially since it will cause him to be in
    the front more often, this would also help his AI out in pvp.

redflag.png I would say make his red 10 and give it a slight damage boost. (300 more)

blackflag.png I think 12 ap would be fair for this ability, but it really needs to have another
    purpose when there is no one else left to throw, when hes alone and all i have left is
    the ap for his black it sucks cause it usually means the difference between winning and
    losing at that point.

Hey, when hes alone why not give him the ability to fast ball special his opponents, and throw the opponent in the front into the enemy team causing damage to all and 2 turn stun on there entire team (AOE).

Or he could even throw one of the guys from D3 into the enemy team icon_mrgreen.gif , it doesnt matter
    to me as long as it has a use when he is the last man standing.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Bump so people can find Colossus easy since he is in the next event.
  • Quebbster
    whitecat31 wrote:
    Bump so people can find Colossus easy since he is in the next event.
    There are two different sticky threads in this very forum to help people find the right character threads...
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    There are two different sticky threads in this very forum to help people find the right character threads...
    Phone user here who greatly appreciates having this thread front and center so I can decide how to use the covers I just won.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Honestly I think Colossus would be better if instead of just placing his tin butt on the front line with a 5% boost (and 2 extra godly turns)... If at 5 he made protect tiles to go with his move.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dunamis101 wrote:
    :

blackflag.png I think 12 ap would be fair for this ability, but it really needs to have another
    purpose when there is no one else left to throw, when hes alone and all i have left is
    the ap for his black it sucks cause it usually means the difference between winning and
    losing at that point.

Hey, when hes alone why not give him the ability to fast ball special his opponents, and throw the opponent in the front into the enemy team causing damage to all and 2 turn stun on there entire team (AOE).

Or he could even throw one of the guys from D3 into the enemy team icon_mrgreen.gif , it doesnt matter
    to me as long as it has a use when he is the last man standing.

It would be cool if you could Throw one of the T/U characters (if you have one).. it would basically be a free T/U. For instance, you bring Deadpool Whales T/U, I can throw Deadpool and only his Whales ability could be used. Yes this could be exploited but no one is using Colossus, so this would make him interesting.