*** Beast (Classic) ***

Comments

• dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Beast is not bad, he pairs very well with Professor X due to his cheap ability costs and good color coverage. Beast Pyslocke PX is rainbow with pretty cheap AP costs to get PX's yellow going. Cyclops is a stronger partner for Beast but I usually save him for better teams. Without a PX, Beast Pyslocke + (Loki/Kamala/GSBW or some other non-Mystiqu e purple user) is still a pretty solid setup.

*Forgot Falcon is the poor man's PX. Falcon Psy Beast = excellent.
  • Sidlon
    Sidlon Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    Am I right in assuming the poll hasn't been reset since Beast got buffed?
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    With Beast, Prof X is only going to tank purple, so I don't think this combo works at all. His purple won't fire enough to make it worthwhile.

166 and 270 PX should be tanking blue over Beast (Beast does take yellow though). If Beast is under (level 144-48 or so) and PX is maxed he'll tank all 3.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    dkffiv wrote:
    166 and 270 PX should be tanking blue over Beast
    If he's 166, then he's buffed to 290
  • dkffiv wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    With Beast, Prof X is only going to tank purple, so I don't think this combo works at all. His purple won't fire enough to make it worthwhile.

166 and 270 PX should be tanking blue over Beast (Beast does take yellow though). If Beast is under (level 144-48 or so) and PX is maxed he'll tank all 3.
    It's a dumb move to have PX at 270. It locks the strongest color of the team into blue, so you lose any combos where a character has a tile moving skill on their strong color.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    His yellow still seems useless, though again that might be impact of the boosted characters. Running Cyclops with him exclusively, and Mutant Revolutionary >>> Medical Marvel.

Protect tiles from his yellow are strength 121, from his blue are strength 174. His yellow costs 11, blue costs 6. You'll rarely ever get 3 protect tiles from a single cast of his blue, but you've got a pretty good chance of getting 2 out of 2 casts of blue.

3 protect tiles from a rank 5 Yellow total 363, 2 protect tiles from rank 5 blue total 348. So you'll be short 15 points of damage reduction. Of course, 2 casts of Blue will generate 6 special tiles, so you'll be up on attack or strike tiles. I would say that his yellow doesn't just seem useless, it is useless. Fortunately his Green and Blue are both kinda fun.
  • i had a question, how much 3 yellow heal?(at 166)
  • john1620b
    john1620b Posts: 367
    At three covers, yellow heals for 1558 and creates two protect tiles of strength 52.
  • I've played against Beast before and I don't think AI really knows how to use him. He's pretty easy to beat.

He is an almost instant skip for me when he's in the queue though. His animations are so lengthy and annoying like Falcon's.
  • 20three
    20three Posts: 371
    He's literally giving the team medical assistance in aiding their health, how does that not count? I could understand something nonsensical like bring out the best, but this is ridiculous. Especially since Beast is already a scrub, this could improve him quite a bit.
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    The reason is that people could do the prolog missions forever and just heal their team and never use healthpack.png and never stop farming pve and pvp. Black widow and spidey used to be boss for this reason. The game is much more balanced without a team true heal
  • ayatorahxephon
    ayatorahxephon Posts: 94 Match Maker
    I was about to agree if you said true heal to beast only and not his two team mates but I cannot take you seriously after mentioning to everyone. As the poster above mentioned, it will be obw, spidey prologue healing all over again
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is that such a bad thing for players though? I wasn't one of those Prologue healers, but I did ride the hell out of OBW's healing both in versus and story events and it gave me more play time when I could play. Now I can only play until my health packs are gone so have to chose if I want a good session in either versus or story and feel unable to compete on both ronts simultaneously.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    It looks like True Heal is making a return.. In the 4* tier. The new Deadpool and upcoming Mr. Fantastic have self true healing. Not sure if we'll ever see group true healing but I'm sure we'll see more of this.
  • 20three
    People are gonna abuse everything and anything, is this really that big of a deal? Regardless, I feel sorry for the people that are dedicated to waiting for strategic openings in pvp and pve and take the fun out of it for themselves and more casuals players. As is the systems ripe for abuse anyway, all things considered this isn't that bad. Think about it as this, at the MAX level (I can't imagine many people have this given the newness and poor quality of the character), Beast can only heal for 2191 health for 11 AP. For characters at max level, that's about 1/5 of their health. That means that it would take at least 5 matches in prologue in order to get a character back to health. Now keep in mind, if you're going back to a prologue with a max leveled beast, you're gonna end up hurting your opponent quite a bit, perhaps even before you get the 11 AP to fire off your attack. The higher level you go to prevent killing the opponent, the better chance they're gonna have at causing you at least a minor amount of damage, so the whole thing sounds like a waste of time. Anyone that would resort to this kind of cheap tactic is already pathetic and probably abusive towards the system anyway, so what's the purpose of preventing regular joe's from getting a moderate boost of health now and then?
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Yes, it really was that big of a deal. The number of people up in arms about it at the time, including me, demonstrated how widespread and abused it was.
    After I saw how much the game improved after I became a believer in it. It really was in hindsight one of the better changes for the game. Forget roster diversity, almost every team you could swing a Bagman at had OBW on it.
    You have 10 health packs now which is plenty.
    And anyway, Beast only patches them up, he doesn't actually heal the team.
    Since the temporary heal gets reduced first, you're still slowing down how fast you drop.
  • 20three
    MojoWild wrote:
    Yes, it really was that big of a deal. The number of people up in arms about it at the time, including me, demonstrated how widespread and abused it was.
    After I saw how much the game improved after I became a believer in it. It really was in hindsight one of the better changes for the game. Forget roster diversity, almost every team you could swing a Bagman at had OBW on it.
    You have 10 health packs now which is plenty.
    And anyway, Beast only patches them up, he doesn't actually heal the team.
    Since the temporary heal gets reduced first, you're still slowing down how fast you drop.

252523.jpg?t=1439946368539&width=353&height=296
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    it was dark times when when mass true healing existed, what ended up happening was people could pretty much endlessly battle in PvP since they didn't have to blow health packs and if you think you get hit pretty frequently now, imagine how often you'd get hit when people didn't have to stop unless a mistake was made.

2* wolv/thor/OBW was the king team at the time because it could do almost everything, this was also when Wolv's yellow was true healing every turn like patch and made it even easier to sustain the team. Spider-man was also support god since he could massively lower damage, lock down any threat and he also had the mass true healing.

it did take time for people to get over the butt hurt, however it was a really healthy change for the game because it made the game super stale with how mandatory having a true healer was if you even dared to compete in PvP.
  • Deilinvega
    Deilinvega Posts: 55 Match Maker
    And now they have been replaced by other mandatory "top tier" characters and those who can afford to buy health packs have even more advantage. Yay balance icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Deilinvega wrote:
    And now they have been replaced by other mandatory "top tier" characters and those who can afford to buy health packs have even more advantage. Yay balance icon_e_biggrin.gif

imagine if true healing never went away then look at kamala khan with max yellow healing people 905 health on every ally ability letting you both heal and continue your assault at the same time w/o stopping. You can scoff at what the game's balance is now but it would be much, much worse with mass true healing around.

also if people wannna spend HP on health packs that's their problem since we can store up to 10 now instead of 5 which has made a huge increase in how long people can play at one time, so if you're dropping you extra HP/cash on them then you must be really desperate for a certain prize in something.