Avengers Elite Training

Comments

• WilliamK99 wrote:
    Someone (Teeth077) already shielded up at 328....Money well spent....Not..He is in the lead but probably not for long.

This is the reason I probably won't jump in until I see how it goes. You will need to spend nearly as much to shield yourself if you want any shot at top 50. Maybe you can sneak into top 100 without but I guess we'll see. I can see someone spend 1k in HP shields if they can get 5k or 10k back.

If a TON of people are shielded then there's tons of rooms to move up. (Hopefully)
  • wathombe wrote:
    Nice. Hope you get it. I did well in the first two subs and the 1st round of Army of One, so it looks like I might get to finish my Patch this week (which will be my first and only 13/13 3*** character). Too bad I can't use him in the elite tourney. icon_e_sad.gif

And to bring this back on-topic, I *think* (not yet knowing the full list of available characters) that my best team is:

85 OBW
    69 Wolvie
    53 Thor

Wolvie and Thor are at cap--cannot get those covers to save my life. With that team, I'm guessing I should just sit this tournament out. Anyone disagree?

Good luck to you also. I should be finishing patch tonight if I keep 1st in my sub bracket. Should be easy as long as my 4th rotation pops up.

As to your other question I think it's beneficial for everyone to join. At minimum you are gonna get at least 2 heroics and some ISO with that team and you'll gain ISO while playing even if just from the dumby targets early on to use on your 3*'s.

If OBW is not allowed, as others posted, then there's really no point. All I have for that other slot are 15 Hulk, 15 GSBW, 15 IM40, <50 IM35 (lol), 28 Spidey. I'd be better off grinding ISO in Army of One, Lightning Rounds, or whatever else they put up after Army of One.

Good luck to all, and I look forward to an Elite tourney I can actually join!
  • Have to get back to work for now, but on the leaderboard for the moment. Running 141 Hulk, 141 IM40, 141 Spidey.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Phantron wrote:
    At 100 points you always had a significant point reduction loss. Otherwise people won't even get out of 200 points most of the time.

The expensive 3 star team of GSBW/Hulk/Spiderman is going to go down rather easily to Thor/Wolverine/Spiderman. Spiderman always hard countered himself (let them stun, then you stun them back with their web tiles). Spiderman also eats Hulk for breakfast, and GSBW isn't going to outrace Thor/Wolverine. Will be interesting to see how much the intimidation factor matters, though.

I'd say that GSBW will most certainly outrace Thor/Wolverine.

While there's no doubt that Thor/Wolv/Spidey can defeat GSBW/Hulk/Spidey, I'd almost guarantee that the 3* team would be able to beat the other faster.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    At 100 points you always had a significant point reduction loss. Otherwise people won't even get out of 200 points most of the time.

The expensive 3 star team of GSBW/Hulk/Spiderman is going to go down rather easily to Thor/Wolverine/Spiderman. Spiderman always hard countered himself (let them stun, then you stun them back with their web tiles). Spiderman also eats Hulk for breakfast, and GSBW isn't going to outrace Thor/Wolverine. Will be interesting to see how much the intimidation factor matters, though.

It creates an interesting matrix.

On offense spidey Thor wolvie will beat hulk gsbw and spidey.
    But on offense hulk gsbw spidey will beat Thor wolvie spidey because they don't have the health pools to take a 5 green sniper.

Thorverine does ok against itself.
    Gsbw hulk spidey will grind against itself.
  • holy **** is this tournament lumpy.

I only have access to 12 players it seems, even though everyone is between 250-350 for the most part. I got up to 330 and then lost 120 points inbetween 2 matches. trying to grind up to 350 and shield but it's like impossible right now.

fun tournament though!
  • This is another promising idea and I like the idea behind it. I spent the 300 HP entry fee... and immediately regretted it. Unless very few people join, I don't foresee placing well enough to have justified spending 300 HP. My Avengers roster is sadly lacking is ISO and covers, mostly ISO though.
  • Eddiemon wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

It creates an interesting matrix.

On offense spidey Thor wolvie will beat hulk gsbw and spidey.
    But on offense hulk gsbw spidey will beat Thor wolvie spidey because they don't have the health pools to take a 5 green sniper.

Thorverine does ok against itself.
    Gsbw hulk spidey will grind against itself.

Brilliant insight. My vote stays where it was with GWBS hulk n spidey
  • And since some of us are doing some betting on the winers, to be honest i wish mischiefmaker good luck, and i hope he can get a satisfying reward.. He helped me a lot when i had 1 star roster by explaining me what characters are good and pretty much how to play the game.

Aw thanks! I appreciate the well-wishes, but barring new information, I'm pretty sure I'm sitting this one out.

The rewards here are really a bit of a head-scratcher to me. Sure, 10k hp is real shiny, but let's think about this a bit logically:

1. Who is going to win the tournament? Probably the guys with max or close to max 3* teams, yes? Don't most already have several thousand hp sitting around? What are they going to do with another couple thousand? If they have maxed 3*s to compete, they don't need the hp for leveling 3* heros by definition, and I'm pretty sure they can take #1 for a 4* cover whenever they want, so that's not really a sink for them either.

2. If you're a mid- to upper-mid tier player, you probably have many characters at max or close to max covers, but your limiting factor is ISO. You might make top 100 to break even, but even if you do, the prize after accounting for shields is 2k iso plus some heroic tokens. That doesn't seem worth the gamble and time investment.

3. If you're a mid- or low-mid level player, you probably have a bunch of maxed 2*s and a handful of 3*s, so you could really use the hero points, but you're gambling that you can play enough to get into at least the top 100 if not top 30 to make anything.

I feel like a reward structure that's tons of ISO (say 100k for #1, 25k for top 100, something like that) and a bit of hero points would be much more compelling for a lot more players, but I'm probably way underestimating how many people are willing to gamble for a top 30 spot.
  • Unless very few people join,
    Too bad you can't see the "last in place" on the leaderboards to see how many people are actually part of the tourney to see if if you can do ok or not.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Ever see those police stings where they send bogus fliers to people with warrants informing them that they have won a free television if they show up at some location?

Maybe this tournament is just an elaborate ruse to entice hackers to show up and compete for that large reward and out themselves. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    And since some of us are doing some betting on the winers, to be honest i wish mischiefmaker good luck, and i hope he can get a satisfying reward.. He helped me a lot when i had 1 star roster by explaining me what characters are good and pretty much how to play the game.

Aw thanks! I appreciate the well-wishes, but barring new information, I'm pretty sure I'm sitting this one out.

The rewards here are really a bit of a head-scratcher to me. Sure, 10k hp is real shiny, but let's think about this a bit logically:

1. Who is going to win the tournament? Probably the guys with max or close to max 3* teams, yes? Don't most already have several thousand hp sitting around? What are they going to do with another couple thousand? If they have maxed 3*s to compete, they don't need the hp for leveling 3* heros by definition, and I'm pretty sure they can take #1 for a 4* cover whenever they want, so that's not really a sink for them either.

2. If you're a mid- to upper-mid tier player, you probably have many characters at max or close to max covers, but your limiting factor is ISO. You might make top 100 to break even, but even if you do, the prize after accounting for shields is 2k iso plus some heroic tokens. That doesn't seem worth the gamble and time investment.

3. If you're a mid- or low-mid level player, you probably have a bunch of maxed 2*s and a handful of 3*s, so you could really use the hero points, but you're gambling that you can play enough to get into at least the top 100 if not top 30 to make anything.

I feel like a reward structure that's tons of ISO (say 100k for #1, 25k for top 100, something like that) and a bit of hero points would be much more compelling for a lot more players, but I'm probably way underestimating how many people are willing to gamble for a top 30 spot.

This This and This icon_e_smile.gif

The major purpose of this event is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge HP sink so more HP will be bought from store in future
  • Roya PQ wrote:
    Unless very few people join,
    Too bad you can't see the "last in place" on the leaderboards to see how many people are actually part of the tourney to see if if you can do ok or not.

Lol I was just going to say I wish you could see last place to see how many people are in that tourney.
  • I'm just happy there's another place to grind out those 140/70 ISO rewards, the more the better imo
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    @mischiefmaker

Ok so the rich are gonna keep getting richer. That's a fact. That's going to continue to happen in basically any format unless they start implementing penalties for progression or something? Lose 100 ISO every time you surpass 500. 500 ISO every time you pass 1000? No shield usage past 1000. I dunno. I'm just being silly there. Lol

Point being , not competing is only losing you a chance to keep up a little more. They have nowhere to go from here, you do.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    Ever see those police stings where they send bogus fliers to people with warrants informing them that they have won a free television if they show up at some location?

Maybe this tournament is just an elaborate ruse to entice hackers to show up and compete for that large reward and out themselves. icon_e_wink.gif
    Except the hackers can already give themselves all the HP/ISO they want or need
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    I'd definitely love to see more ISO prizes. Going into this tournament I had 14K HP and I'm missing only 4 covers total (2 each of Xforce/IW...and if I spent HP on them then I would have absolutely nothing to play for anymore.)

Yet, I'm still kind of excited to see how this one plays out.
  • Have an 80 spidey/hulk and max thorworine......still, don't think it's worth the hassle with the daredevil tourney trying my patience
  • Nemek wrote:
    I'd definitely love to see more ISO prizes. Going into this tournament I had 14K HP and I'm missing only 4 covers total (2 each of Xforce/IW...and if I spent HP on them then I would have absolutely nothing to play for anymore.)

Yet, I'm still kind of excited to see how this one plays out.

He just proved my point. Nowhere left to go. If you don't attempt to profit on this, which is going to be super easy if you don't shield and grind the last 2 hours, you miss an opportunity to catch up.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    As of now, there are 1872 players. (Just joined, got one match, can see the end).

EDIT: And 1916 now. I'm going to sit at the end, and just watch for a while I think, until I lose sight of the end of the bracket.

Edit 2: 2014. Filling up at a decent rate, by tonight it'll prolly be over 10k.