*** Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff) ***

Comments

• scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Saying "it's not confirmation bias" and "the sample size is large enough" don't mean anything if you don't say what numbers you recorded. Every statement you have made so far has made your observations sound biased and based on the "eye test".

And counterpoint, the tile dropping in the corner does not guarantee that it won't give 5 tiles, because you have move the tiles or scramble the board.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    daibar wrote:
    Maybe they should change Thunderclap's description to "Deals up to 1175 damage".
    Ok, I'll take your troll bait. Other than a kill shot, which would be irrelevant, when would it ever do less than 1175?
  • simonsez
    scottee wrote:
    Saying "it's not confirmation bias" and "the sample size is large enough" don't mean anything if you don't say what numbers you recorded.
    No one asked. People seemed way more interested in arguing over semantics and logistics.

I stopped tracking at 250 spawns, and had 37 land in the corner. So now what?
  • Bishop
    Bishop Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Just to add to this debate it seems like it lands near purple tiles the best that it can. See what I did their? But I do agree it does something fishy.
  • Turbosmooth
    Turbosmooth Posts: 213
    Bishop wrote:
    Just to add to this debate it seems like it lands near purple tiles the best that it can. See what I did their? But I do agree it does something fishy.

I don't see that, I see it spawning next to blue tiles often. Many times it will auto-match itself or set up a match-4 that cannot be fixed. The other times it will ready for a match-3 and you just have to hope the AI doesn't want that blue. I'll try to protect it and get it away from the other blue or eliminate the near by blue.

I agree that the 4 corners are terrible spawn points. It can mean the difference of win/loss.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    I don't know if this question has been asked before, but does Moonstone's Chaos Warp interact inconsistently with Wanda's countdown tile? Is it just my imagination, but it seems like 15-20% of the time Chaos Warp blows up a tile and ignores the countdown tile. Am I just crazy/imagining things?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    cyineedsn wrote:
    I don't know if this question has been asked before, but does Moonstone's Chaos Warp interact inconsistently with Wanda's countdown tile? Is it just my imagination, but it seems like 15-20% of the time Chaos Warp blows up a tile and ignores the countdown tile. Am I just crazy/imagining things?

Moonstone doesn't warp a blue tile unless she has 4 or 5 purple. So in PvE, the lower level Moonstone's won't grab it.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Ah okay that all makes sense now, thanks for the answers aesthetocyst and GrumpySmurf1002!
  • LuciferianX
    LuciferianX Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    @cy; Not at all, that's the nature of Gravity Warp; it gains colors at higher levels, so if you have it at 3 covers, it only affects a few color options and I don't think blue is among them, that's later. You can check the wiki for the exact progression.

Generally, I run Wanda 5/3/5, as many people have said, green can do a lot of other things better. I'm pairing her with Beast and Psylocke for the event right now. I like speed.
  • 5 green allows you to choose which 4 tiles you want to turn (like Cap's red and blue)? I have her at 445 right and I'm trying to figure out whether to go 535 or 355 or leave it, as there is no poll to show what most people prefer.
  • dw316 wrote:
    5 green allows you to choose which 4 tiles you want to turn (like Cap's red and blue)? I have her at 445 right and I'm trying to figure out whether to go 535 or 355 or leave it, as there is no poll to show what most people prefer.
    we just had this conversation as evidenced by the last couple pages
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    dw316 wrote:
    5 green allows you to choose which 4 tiles you want to turn (like Cap's red and blue)? I have her at 445 right and I'm trying to figure out whether to go 535 or 355 or leave it, as there is no poll to show what most people prefer.

No. Hex bolt is still random, regardless of amount of covers. If you could choose the tiles that get destroyed, her green would be a lot better.
    Hex Bolt - 8 greentile.png AP
    Wanda fires an unstable hex bolt at her target. Select one basic tile to destroy it and up to 2 random basic tiles around it, generating AP.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Destroy up to 3 tiles.
    Level 3: Chance to destroy enemy Attack, Protect, and Strike tiles.
    Level 4: Destroy up to 4 tiles.
    Level 5: Destroy up to 4 tiles of any non-friendly type.

There are reasons people choose either.

5 purple - deals team damage, 5 turn stun to random opponent, can be fed by her blue, green is random, better greens out there.
    5 green - AP gain for 4 tiles (instead of 3), can destroy countdown tiles, 5 purple is expensive, better purples out there.

I went 5/3/5, for the reasons above. I will also build my dupe to 5/3/5, b/c I don't think 3/5/5 is a viable build for my style of play.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have found myself frequently targeting the corners with Hex Bolt since that means I know what I'll be getting. I suppose at level 5 I could go for anywhere along the edges, but it's not worth giving up the glory of 5 purple...
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    I stopped tracking at 250 spawns, and had 37 land in the corner. So now what?
    That's still only spawning in the corners 15% of the time. I agree that spawning in the corner is irritating. Feels like a waste of 3 turns, and the best you can do is try to match it away or try to work some purples down close to it to maximize the ability to get AP from it.

I love her at 5/3/5

I've been so frustrated with her green, had it at 5 green when I first got her because had more green covers first, but even then, I would aim it, and since you can't choose an enemy special tile to be the center point, you often have to pick a very awkward spot since they seem to cluster after a few matches. I've used it and cleared every normal tile and left the specials I was aiming for... grrr! Her green frustrates me to no end, so I dropped it to 3 as soon as I had more purple covers come up, and I avoid using it unless the tiles I want to destroy are in corners... or I place it next to my own special tiles to reduce the amount of tiles it has to choose from, since it won't target friendly tiles.

Her blue tile spawning around other blues and matching is helpful when I have Groot on my team, and only costs me 1 turn since it respawns next turn.

But I do agree that ?/?/5 is the only requirement for SW.
  • simonsez
    JVReal wrote:
    That's still only spawning in the corners 15% of the time.
    Which is double what it should be. And flies in the face of anything we've been told about how stuff the board does is purely random, despite everyone's anecdotal experience.

Aside from that, also consider all the times it'll spawn on an edge with no way to get any other purples near it, or the times it spawn in a spot where it'll be quickly matched. So assuming you need purples and crits, and blue matches aren't a big help, the tile feels wasted an awful lot of the time. Not an argument against 5 blue, just a complaint against the RNG.
  • AionTeleos
    AionTeleos Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    At 5 green, can Wanda take out Ultron's bombs? As written, the description would seem to imdicate that, but I know that D3 claims that Jean Grey's enemy tile destroying ability didn't, despite similar language. If it actually does, it seems like the (occasional) advantage would outweigh even the lure of a 5 turn stun.
  • AionTeleos
    AionTeleos Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Ah, I hadn't thought about that. Thanks.
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    she is going to be a terror with iceman and cap falcon.

Blue gives iceman his stun and damage
    Drops SW cd a turn giving match 5s and pink
    pink gives blue to iceman

STUN STUN STUN

only downside is the lack of special tiles unless you happen to get enough yellow to fire for cap falcon and lack of black active but that is a small price to pay
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    she is going to be a terror with iceman and cap falcon.

Blue gives iceman his stun and damage
    Drops SW cd a turn giving match 5s and pink
    pink gives blue to iceman

STUN STUN STUN

only downside is the lack of special tiles unless you happen to get enough yellow to fire for cap falcon and lack of black active but that is a small price to pay
    Sam is going to have to be careful so he doesn't wreck Bobby's snowman though... Is there someone else you can put in instead of Sam?
  • Good character, but how is her purple only slightly better than 2* Storm's blue power?

2* storm is level 94 max and hit's enemy team with just over 1800 while sw hits I think like 2100 at level 166. ****?

I still think she's usefulness because her health is much higher but she should hit harder.