*** Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff) ***

Comments

• Why is it that people can't handle randomness on characters that thrive on chaos and randomness?
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can we add that it should never be placed in the exact spot you needed left alone so you could make a 5+ match. Also, no placing it in a spot that immediately matches your other blue cd tiles away making you re-start your cap cycle. Also, if it could stop over-writing demolition tiles, that would be grand.

Basically, leave it alone. Yes it is frustrating at times, but SW is CHAOS, and that is what she creates.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because Demiurge has been clear that completely untargeted board-changing powers are not supposed to be able to mess up and do less than they're supposed to just because of RNG.

X-Force's green was fixed so it can't destroy too few tiles by targeting the edge of the board.
    Ditto Punisher's green.
    Beast's blue was totally reworked to fix its random failure to produce four tiles (which was more like a random success when it did).
    Magneto's purple was fixed so it can't mess with your intended matches by converting blue tiles to red.
    Scarlet Witch's blue has already been fixed once so it won't waste itself by "converting" existing purple tiles to purple.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    daibar wrote:
    Why is it that people can't handle randomness
    IT'S NOT RANDOM. Play 100 boards and tell me what % of the time it lands in the corner.

And this is completely separate from the issue of the ability description promising something and not delivering on it.
  • Scoregasms
    Scoregasms Posts: 373
    During this Hulk PVE, I've witnessed her Blue CD Tile overwrite a Critical Tile on 3 separate occasions, which seems kinda high to me. Granted, the critical tile was in a place where no match was possible, but still... I get that it doesn't explicitly say "basic tiles only", but then it should have a chance to overwrite Enemy Special tiles on occasion which I have never seen happen.

And agreed... it does seem to find itself on the side or corners a lot on initial placement. Also throw in the chance she creates a match on initial placement too.

Separate note: Juggernaut Green Crush literally hit SW CD Tile 4 times in a row in a single match, I have to call shenanigans on that (I know it's random, but that just felt dirty... haha).
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    The corner spawn is annoying as hell, but I hate that it always spawns next to 2 other blues more. Pray that Daken or Rag or whoever in this damn Hulk event doesn't scoop it up, but they always do. At 1 turn left. Always.

I try to break up the blues buta lot of times turns into a 4-way that Daken then gobbles. Chemical Reaction to the face inc.
  • Malcrof
    Scoregasms wrote:

Separate note: Juggernaut Green Crush literally hit SW CD Tile 4 times in a row in a single match, I have to call shenanigans on that (I know it's random, but that just felt dirty... haha).

Whenever i see juggs green go off, i always stare at my cd tiles to see if they survive.. mostly they do, but every time they don't, i swear in my head about no random... yet i have had 2 cap red cd tiles survive 2x juggs green in 2 turns, so there is that.

We see what we want to.

As to the OP, i have the opposite issue with her, it is rare in a corner, and almost always in a spot where it get matched away by me or the AI.. when it does hit a corner, it is almost always bottom left. No idea why, but bottom left corner is the corner i see it in just about every time it actually goes into a corner.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    I get it, the character description technically doesn't say that her blue tile will get placed in a random location, but this should be implicit in all abilities of this nature. It clearly isn't random. If it were, it would get placed in a corner once every 16 times, but instead it happens more than twice as often as that. This isn't confirmation bias. That's what it does.

And besides, just as you fixed Punisher's green so that it stops getting placed on an edge and not destroying the promised number of tiles, SW's blue at 5 covers should NEVER BE PLACED IN A CORNER, because we're promised that 5 tiles will be converted, and when placed in a corner, that can't happen.

Can someone with red type please comment on this?

I'll be nerdy. Pun says destroys 3x3 area. MNMags and SW just convert a random tile to a CD which then does as its told. If pun said a random tile is selected then a 3X3 grid explodes around it, I wouldn't have cared that it went off board. I know it's ticky tack, but it is doing as described. Btw I had 2 games in a row CD tile went to bottom left then right corner
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2015
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    I get it, the character description technically doesn't say that her blue tile will get placed in a random location, but this should be implicit in all abilities of this nature. It clearly isn't random. If it were, it would get placed in a corner once every 16 times, but instead it happens more than twice as often as that. This isn't confirmation bias. That's what it does.

And besides, just as you fixed Punisher's green so that it stops getting placed on an edge and not destroying the promised number of tiles, SW's blue at 5 covers should NEVER BE PLACED IN A CORNER, because we're promised that 5 tiles will be converted, and when placed in a corner, that can't happen.

Can someone with red type please comment on this?

I'll be nerdy. Pun says destroys 3x3 area. MNMags and SW just convert a random tile to a CD which then does as its told. If pun said a random tile is selected then a 3X3 grid explodes around it, I wouldn't have cared that it went off board. I know it's ticky tack, but it is doing as described. Btw I had 2 games in a row CD tile went to bottom left then right corner

Pedantic Counterpoint: Twin Pistols also says "destroys two selected 3x3 blocks of tiles," but allows you to target tiles along the edge or in the corner.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    57007403.jpg
  • simonsez
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I'll be nerdy. Pun says destroys 3x3 area. MNMags and SW just convert a random tile to a CD which then does as its told. If pun said a random tile is selected then a 3X3 grid explodes around it, I wouldn't have cared that it went off board. I know it's ticky tack, but it is doing as described.
    That's not nerdy. It's just plain wrong. At 5 covers, it says "transforms 5 random adjacent basic tiles to Purple." It doesn't say "up to 5", it says 5. If it's in a bottom corner, there's no way that's going to happen, unless something like Loki swaps it out. That is not a reasonable contingency.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    1. Confirmation bias.

2. Sample size (though this is moot since you're not actually writing down a record yourself.)

3. You can move tiles to drop the countdown into the corner. Or destroy the countdown. Or have lots of special tiles around it. Basically, you're not "guaranteed" to get 5 tiles out of it.
  • Seantw05
    Seantw05 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    scottee wrote:
    1. Confirmation bias.

2. Sample size (though this is moot since you're not actually writing down a record yourself.)

3. You can move tiles to drop the countdown into the corner. Or destroy the countdown. Or have lots of special tiles around it. Basically, you're not "guaranteed" to get 5 tiles out of it.

3 was going to be my argument but I see you got there first.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    daibar wrote:
    Why is it that people can't handle randomness on characters that thrive on chaos and randomness?

Yeah, she's chaotic and her magic is chaotic. And yet, she kicks ****. Not much in game: stunning someone who died instead the person you really wanted to stun, grabbing the tiles you didn't want with hex bolt, putting the blue CD on a corner or where it is matched straight away, all that is TOO much randomness that actually stops her from being efficient.

I believe that having the CD being randomly placed on an existing blue tile would solve most of these problems.
  • Malcrof
    Pylgrim wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    Why is it that people can't handle randomness on characters that thrive on chaos and randomness?

Yeah, she's chaotic and her magic is chaotic. And yet, she kicks ****. Not much in game: stunning someone who died instead the person you really wanted to stun, grabbing the tiles you didn't want with hex bolt, putting the blue CD on a corner or where it is matched straight away, all that is TOO much randomness that actually stops her from being efficient.

I believe that having the CD being randomly placed on an existing blue tile would solve most of these problems.

So here is the question.. since her last "fix" i planned on re-speccing to 5/3/5, currently at 5/5/3, green still very useful, especially against daken and BE in PVE for getting rid of pesky tiles.

Now that i plan on focusing on PVP a little more.. is it still worth the re-spec?
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    daibar wrote:

So here is the question.. since her last "fix" i planned on re-speccing to 5/3/5, currently at 5/5/3, green still very useful, especially against daken and BE in PVE for getting rid of pesky tiles.

Now that i plan on focusing on PVP a little more.. is it still worth the re-spec?

She's terribly unreliable at removing special tiles. 8 mana to /maybe/ get rid of 1 special tile (mayyyybe two if they are close together)? No thanks. If special tiles are your bane bring Daredevil or Loki (or a black moonstone teamup).
  • simonsez
    scottee wrote:
    1. Confirmation bias.

I already said it's not.

Yes, I am, and the sample is large enough.

Then they need to change the description to "up to 5 tiles". Clearly stuff can happen AFTER the tile gets placed, but they shouldn't START by putting it into a location where the ability can't do what it says.
  • moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    simonsez wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    Why is it that people can't handle randomness
    IT'S NOT RANDOM. Play 100 boards and tell me what % of the time it lands in the corner.

You don't need to play 100 boards, you only need to have it spawn 100 times.

4 corners, 64 tiles. 4/64 = 6.25%

The other part is when the tile spawns on the side, which is 24/64 chance = 37.5% chance. Although this has potential chance to create 5 purple, it usually doesn't because:
    - One of the 5 tiles is already purple
    - One of the 5 tiles is a attack/strike/protect tile

When the random blue tile lands on the side, it rarely creates a critical as well.

For the tile to land in the "middle" is a 56.25% chance - however, there is usually a higher chance that it will get matched away.

The annoying part is if it spawns in the corner, you end up waiting 6 turns before any potential purple AP generation occurs.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    The silver lining is that at least it's the same when you fight against her. Since reading this thread, I've played 4 battles against her. The countdown.png spawned twice in corners, and eight times elsewhere. Not a huge sample, but I was happy to see them in the corners.
  • moogles85 wrote:
    When the random blue tile lands on the side, it rarely creates a critical as well.
    Provably false. The closer clustering of the purple makes it far more likely to create a crit. I love it when it spawns on the side because I get a crit at least 2/3 of the time, and it's not as likely to match.
    viewtopic.php?style=1&p=346271#p346271
    Maybe you mean the bottom?
    simonsez wrote:
    Then they need to change the description to "up to 5 tiles".
    Maybe they should change Doom's Technopathic Strike description to "Transforms up to 8 basic blue tiles to Black Tiles", or Thunderclap's description to "Deals up to 1175 damage".