Colognoisseur's Ranking of 4* Updated: 10/19

Colognoisseur
Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
edited January 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
I've been getting a lot of PM's about my ranking of the current group of 4*'s. Just so I can quit typing this out over and over.

UPDATE 10/19: Adding in Iceman and Cyke. Need a little more time with Red Hulk but first impression is t10 for sheer damage.

As of September 15th New Characters in bold:

1.) Iceman
2.) Jean Grey
3.) Hulkbuster
4.) Cyclops
5.) X-Force Deadpool
6.) Professor X
7.) Thing
8.) Kingpin
9.) 4* Thor
10.) Carnage
11.) Sam Wilson Cap America
12.) Fury
13.) X-Force Wolverine
14.) Ant-Man
15.) Elektra
16.) Mr. Fantastic
17.) Star-Lord
18.) Invisible Woman
19.) Devil Dinosaur

There you go. Please remember this is just one player's opinion it isn't meant to be definitive or the only answer. I'm just doing this because it seems some players are interested in my thoughts and I am willing to share them on this subject.
UPDATE (10/19): I have a new number one in Iceman. He is the 4* equivalent to 3* Thor. All three actives are problematic especially if you play against the number of Hulkbusters that are currently out there. The green is devastating aoe. The blue is control with the stun and if you can make two more blue matches you pretty much one-shot most characters. The purple is great to cast after an Overdrive to take Hulkbuster back below casting range. Plus it can generate blue to stun him if it doesn't. If you get 18 blue you can almost always have a stun lock for four turns with one opposing character down.
Cyclops is another in the line of self-sufficient new characters which generate their own colors. The red is great and becomes a nuke if you collect Tu AP. The yellow is incredible as an alternative generator of your strongest color. I've played him with Jean Grey buffed and it sped up getting to her purple. With Red Hulk or Iceman it generated green which allowed getting to the aoe nuke quicker. The blue clears the board of red neutering Hulkbuster again. Everytime the AI fired Hulkbuster blue I would follow up for damage and to grab the rest of the red left on the board then most of the time fire ap boosted cyke red. He is a natural partner for Red Hulk and I think that is going to be a duo we see a lot of in the future.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nice list, i would move carnage down it though.. i have yet to see a single person in any PVP have him on their team.. saw plenty o Elektra (one of my personal fav's) but 0 Carnages...
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    Nice list, i would move carnage down it though.. i have yet to see a single person in any PVP have him on their team.. saw plenty o Elektra (one of my personal fav's) but 0 Carnages...

Seen the opposite, see way more Carnage than Elektra.

I don't have any real arguments. I personally like Fury and XForce more than Carnage, and 4Thor more than Thing, but seems about right.
  • I didn't expect Kingpin to rank that highly. I never see him in PVP. Care to elaborate?
  • Malcrof
    I didn't expect Kingpin to rank that highly. I never see him in PVP. Care to elaborate?

KP and HB are the ones i see the most! My KP is 4/0/0 (just how tokens have treated me) and i wish i could get more colors.. he is a triple threat, all of his abilities are useful.

Made the mistake of going up against KP/SW/IF in BoP.. SW's never ending cd tile, with a black feeder.. i got poked to death, my only offensive loss in BoP so far. Not even the AI can screw him up.
  • Unknown
    edited July 2015
    Just weighing in on some Kingpin love. He is a very balanced and highly self sustaining character with 15K Health maxed.

His purple gives your team yellow AP and drains your opponent's AP (strongest color).
    His yellow places CD tiles on the board.
    And his black is a cheap AP damage skill that increases if you have CD tiles on the board.

The way that his powers synchronize is highly effective and is the reason that i dig running him so much. It's really fun to hit his purple, right into his yellow, right into his black.

Most people run him @ 535. i'm a proponent of a 355 build.

The difference between 3 vs 5 in his black is additional damage if a CD tiles is on the board...i believe it's roughly 3000 total damage with 3 in black and 5500 total damage with 5 in black and a CD tile on the board.

The difference between 3 and 5 in his purple is 5 AP drained from your enemy strongest color and 5 yellow added to your AP pool with 3 in purple and 6 AP drained from your enemy strongest color and 8 yellow added to your AP pool with 5 in purple.

there is merit to both builds and with most balanced characters, it's really a case of your preference and play style. I agree with Colog's assesment that KP is top tier. He's my favorite character in the game right now.

He's also godly on Goon only nodes since you can usually get all of his CDs off. For some real fun, pair him up with a 355 hood. Intimidation hasn't looked so nice since the Sentry nerf.

easy...marc
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been getting a lot of PM's about my ranking of the current group of 4*'s. Just so I can quit typing this out over and over.

1.) (tie) Hulkbuster and Professor X
    3.) Kingpin

Yeah, I think that was the team you hit me with in Sim icon_e_wink.gif (Maybe Thing instead of PX?)

KP maxed I am seeing more and more - tons of health and a huge poke.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    My kingpin is on the fringes of usability (9/13) and I have posted my thoughts about him on the character board. He is good, especially if you pair him with a countdown tile generator. That said, I think his yellow doesn't play quite as well as it looks on paper. It does solid damage, but it is quite slow (even with yellow acceleration) and difficult to protect. And the strike tiles are disappointing if you have played against ai muscle. And if you just use the yellow as fuel for the black, then it is still slow as you need to cast both the yellow and have 18+ black. I can see him being beastly in pve (but still not as good as gsbw/switch/profx), and functional in PvP. But I don't think he has the speed to compete with imhb/if in PvP.

Can't comment on most of the newer 4*s, but colog's list doesn't quite match my expectations. I look forward to seeing if my feelings change as I build out a 4* roster.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kind of surprised of seeing Thing so close to the top and Ant-Man not close enough (IMO)
  • Malcrof
    I will say this, after being able to use a fully covered ant-man in the 30 day event (even though not fully leveled), if i ever get covers, i can see using him quite a bit, in TaT i was really hoping to pull a blue for him, against Daken and BE.. that would have been incredibly useful.. pair with SW and getting off a Grow in purple would be cake.

Thing i would re-name Cagepool... 2 big punches, one with a stun, and some shield tiles for successfully defending someone.. Take the powers of 2 of the most popular chars and combine them, add a gazillion hp .. and i cannot wait to get more covers for him either.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    I will say this, after being able to use a fully covered ant-man in the 30 day event (even though not fully leveled), if i ever get covers, i can see using him quite a bit, in TaT i was really hoping to pull a blue for him, against Daken and BE.. that would have been incredibly useful.. pair with SW and getting off a Grow in purple would be cake.

Antman plays so well with patch! They have 5/6 active colors, and antman provides two different ways to deal withbpatch's enemy strikes. Plus he makes attack tiles to double dip in green strikes. Add a strong black power and enjoy.

I expect that antman will be considered top tier when more people have him covered.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well not a bad list, but I think Thing is a little bit to high, and Antman too down. Then Elektra better than Starlord? You sure? Even IW is better than Elektra icon_razz.gif

And Xforce is too down I think, and 4hor too high.

It is really difficult to place all of them in a list. I did one not too long ago and I ended up sorting them in groups which I think it is easier.
  • Malcrof
    What is the best rainbow 4* team?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    What is the best rainbow 4* team?

It is not exactly rainbow but IMHB, Antman and ProfX icon_e_biggrin.gif

Then if you really want rainbow IMHB, ProfX/Antman and Thing/XWolvie
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks for the ranking list and everyone's responses. I had NO desire for Kingpin on my roster, but after this post, I definitely hope some of his covers bounce my way!
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Polares wrote:
    Well not a bad list, but I think Thing is a little bit to high, and Antman too down. Then Elektra better than Starlord? You sure? Even IW is better than Elektra icon_razz.gif

And Xforce is too down I think, and 4hor too high.

It is really difficult to place all of them in a list. I did one not too long ago and I ended up sorting them in groups which I think it is easier.
    lol
  • Interesting list from someone that has all those characters available to them. That being said, I need more KP covers!!
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    So my alliance mates have all been telling me that kingpin is underrated. This is interesting stuff

I actually thought that Carnage was going to be #3 because he would dominate the endgame pvp scarecrow/shield hopping role. Ruining someone's day on defense, and causing enough mayhem on offense that you don't care about the self damage because you're hopping with enough health packs anyway

But after playing him (finally) boosted to max in BoP he doesn't quite put it together.
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    evil panda wrote:
    So my alliance mates have all been telling me that kingpin is underrated. This is interesting stuff

I actually thought that Carnage was going to be #3 because he would dominate the endgame pvp scarecrow/shield hopping role. Ruining someone's day on defense, and causing enough mayhem on offense that you don't care about the self damage because you're hopping with enough health packs anyway

But after playing him (finally) boosted to max in BoP he doesn't quite put it together.

Same disappointment with carnage for me. I was thinking of investing some serious ISO in him, but after test driving a fully leveled one via BoP I left unimpressed as well. He's annoying, but not threatening enough it feels like. Maybe I didn't surround him with the right partners.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe I didn't surround him with the right partners.

One of my alliance mates swears by Carnage-Blade-DocOck, and has been running Carnage-Spidey-Venom with success in this event.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2015
    Moderator post:

Please don't derail threads by bringing up past disagreements and personal conflicts. Please don't start these digressions, and if they start please don't respond and thus help to bring it off-topic.

-DayvBang