*** Ragnarok (Dark Avengers) ***

Comments

• Just sold my 5/5/1 lvl 140 for 53K ISO and 1K HP. I've thought about it for a while but it's most of a cover cost and a lot of levels towards a character that I actually care about. Can't argue with that imo.

Didn't enjoy using him at all when he was essential in the last Gauntlet and it'll be a while before he's needed again so I'm not that worried.

Anyone else flick the big guy at the increased buy back?

I sold mine. Fully covered at 140 and once a great utility man. Thanks a million to the losers at D3. First him, now Xforce. 2 guys I spent alot of resources upgrading turned to garbage.

With ragnarok the thing that is most pathetic for the low skilled inept unskilled folks at d3 turned loki from ok to borderline useless to deadly with his AP steal, and Doctor Doom's new power is good as well.

So they wait, and they wreck ragnarok.

I said it before, when it comes to this comedy of errors, if I was the boss I'd fire everyone. If I was an employee I'd quit out of embarrassment. If I was a shareholder I'd sell everything then short it.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Could lightning rod create 3 random green charged tiles instead of converting 3 green? This might help him be a tad more playable. If not can you drop the AP cost to 6. One of those two would really help him out
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    While I truly do empathize with your current (perceived) status on the forums as an ability changer, I must say when it comes to Rags, just make like Elsa and let it go. I don't know ANYONE who even remotely likes Rags. He is certainly not one of those characters that when you hear of a Marvel videogame you think "ooh I hope he/she is in there" (like spidey, wolvie, and company would be...). Anyway, here's to hoping Rags just gets removed from the game altogether, like he should have been icon_razz.gif

As for your present state, I wish you the best of luck. And I mean that in the nicest of ways. I didn't notice the double AP with my SW, and certainly don't blame you for having this lowered. The advice that devs seem to take from forums is completely random, and I appreciate your effort in trying to continue exerting your magical powers.

On the other hand, the level of blaming, shaming, and sheer idiocy on this forum never ceases to amaze me icon_e_smile.gif
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    I understand you're trying to use your powers for good not evil and I applaud you for that but could you pick someone else.
    I'm fine with Rags being a crummy character because he appears so much as one of the DA in PvE. A buff like this won't have a significant impact on whether he's worth having on your roster or using outside of him being required but it will make PvE harder. If he becomes a more effective green accelerator it has little benefit to the player and just increases the likelihood of taking a big AoE hit or onslaught to the face.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    san-mpq wrote:
    While I truly do empathize with your current (perceived) status on the forums as an ability changer, I must say when it comes to Rags, just make like Elsa and let it go. I don't know ANYONE who even remotely likes Rags. He is certainly not one of those characters that when you hear of a Marvel videogame you think "ooh I hope he/she is in there" (like spidey, wolvie, and company would be...). Anyway, here's to hoping Rags just gets removed from the game altogether, like he should have been icon_razz.gif

As for your present state, I wish you the best of luck. And I mean that in the nicest of ways. I didn't notice the double AP with my SW, and certainly don't blame you for having this lowered. The advice that devs seem to take from forums is completely random, and I appreciate your effort in trying to continue exerting your magical powers.

On the other hand, the level of blaming, shaming, and sheer idiocy on this forum never ceases to amaze me icon_e_smile.gif

Lol. I was off by one post on my own self bet how soon a mod would lock the thread, or delete posts or see how long people would of kept responding to me with my ridiculous posts. To get mad over losing something you were not supposed to have is laughable.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    You know, I actually like Ragnorak for his pest status on defense. The AI absolutely LUVS using his blue, and uses every cheat in the book to keep him alive. So if you throw up a Rag defense in pvp, I'm sure a lot of guys will look at him and say "no thanks." My Rag is only 120 now; if I don't have other priorities I would seriously consider maxing him out. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • san
    puppychow wrote:
    You know, I actually like Ragnorak for his pest status on defense. The AI absolutely LUVS using his blue, and uses every cheat in the book to keep him alive. So if you throw up a Rag defense in pvp, I'm sure a lot of guys will look at him and say "no thanks." My Rag is only 120 now; if I don't have other priorities I would seriously consider maxing him out. icon_mrgreen.gif

I like Rags on defense too. He seems to use his ability to feed me with charged tiles! icon_e_smile.gif He is not the scarecrow you seem to think he is. Most players with a decent roster will take him and rip him apart. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Skorche
    Skorche Posts: 47
    I like rags with Kamala, His red is cheep and fires off her heal and gives me blue tiles which allows me to fire off his blue and create charge tiles which I can collect with Kamala's purple ability and gets her AOE off faster. Throw in Luke and you've team that's gonna take awhile to wear down.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Skorche wrote:
    I like rags with Kamala, His red is cheep and fires off her heal and gives me blue tiles which allows me to fire off his blue and create charge tiles which I can collect with Kamala's purple ability and gets her AOE off faster. Throw in Luke and you've team that's gonna take awhile to wear down.

Rags + Daken, all day. His red creates blues to heal daken from his green, while the cheap red does damage, and green matches to power daken's blue.

Played with them + cage in the sim, rather nice team, even without an active purple ability.
  • san

Hi, my name is "aesthetocyst". It is a virtual pleasure to meet you.

Hi, my name's san. That sentence scares me.
  • xellessanova
    xellessanova Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Hey San, you know me pretty well.

I actually wiped my team in LR to a Rags/Doom/CMags team and it was all Ragnarok feeding Blue to Doom. That's a surprisingly good pairing. Red to Blue > Blue to Black > Summon Demons. So I switched to that team and won on defense a couple times.

I might actually level him.
  • san
    Hey San, you know me pretty well.

I actually wiped my team in LR to a Rags/Doom/CMags team and it was all Ragnarok feeding Blue to Doom. That's a surprisingly good pairing. Red to Blue > Blue to Black > Summon Demons. So I switched to that team and won on defense a couple times.

I might actually level him.

Oh darn you Xelle icon_e_smile.gif. Now I have to admit I'm wrong!

I know he's not a terrible character, and when boosted along with the other two (as in the case of recent LRs) he can be deadly. He's just not the sort of guy you just cant wait to see in a movie/game. He's not a very memorable character for me, and it doesn't help that his powers have been downgraded in comparison to Loki, another 3* character from that era who gained a third power around the same time.
  • tbh, the SW glitch was mentioned back in May shortly after she came out. It is likely that it was known then and it took time to complete the fix it and just so happened to coincide with his post mostly due to everyone using her with Cyke in his PVP.

On topic of rags. While he needed a third ability, the other two abilities should have been looked at more closely to match the power of 3* Thor but slightly weaker. I do mean slightly. This would possibly make him slightly more playable.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    While I do genuinely like Rags, Lightning Rod blows. It is an irritation at best. Devs screwed up by initially giving 4Thor too many charged tiles, then they erred in the opposite direction on the Rags re-do, giving him way too few. The power is an irritation at best. Ought to make green and red charged tiles, or at least a whole lot more green ... and then tie the dmg of his red and green powers to the presence and number of charged tiles. Yes, even the ally dmg. You know, like he's POWERING UP, insane, and out of control.

I LOVE this idea!!! And it fits well with his crazily aggressive first appearance in Civil War.

Blue's covers add an extra green charged tile at 1/3/5 covers... maybe it could also add 1 then 2 red charged tiles at 2/4 covers. This would at least create charged tiles in amounts slightly relative to the costs of his green and red.

I loved Rags before the nerf, and SO want to again someday... there've been so many easily-implementable tweaks to Lightning Rod suggested so far that don't seem at all remotely imbalanced or gamebreaking.
  • san
    He is the only star.pngstar.pngstar.pngblue battery in the game, and unlike most batteries, he's cheap and packs a bunch while spitting out tiles! I use him with GSBW and CStorm to clear "problem" nodes...haven't needed this so much since community scaling was turned off ...

Fixed. MnMags still exists. OBW can steal blue. GThor has charged blues (more random). I see what you mean though.

I generally just stick to collecting blue the old fashioned way. Most blue powers that I find useful, I tend to use as team ups, requiring no blue battery. Examples that come to mind, cStorm, MBW, etc.
  • I'm sure a lot of guys will look at him and say "no thanks." My Rag is only 120 now; if I don't have other priorities I would seriously consider maxing him out.
  • New Godlike Power is ok-ish, have charge tiles beef it up is fine. Even with that it pales in comparison to CtS tho, still needs a cost reduction to at least 12 if not 10. I would leave Thudnerclap alone, it's a perfectly cromulent power as it stands.

New Lightning Rod.... eh, I don't like it. More charged tiles is ok, but the health reduction thing means you will A) always save Ragnarok for last and 2) take all the red while he takes blue and charges up your Smite for you. First he loses 5% of his health for using Lightning Rod at full health, then he gets Smote for stupid damage because he just put 6 charge tiles on the board. Epic battles between Jane and Rags would not enuse, Jane would just dominate. I understand you are trying to balance out the existence of 3 more charge tiles but if that's what you want, just take out the burst heal all together, it's dumb anyway.
  • Rag's green shouldn't be Thor's green but it ALSO should try to be which it clearly is. Team damage for 14 green AP? Sound familiar? If it doesn't want to be Thor's Green it should stop trying so hard (and cost less).

When the AI uses Lightning Rod it's a fine power, because the AI gets to benefit from the healing in the 1 match in which it exists. When a player uses Lightning Rod it MIGHT help win that match but it ultimately fails to stop Rags from losing the health.

The health cap thing is just too gimmick. You don't address what would happen if used at full health, would he actually lose 5% of his health? If not, why not? You seem to just assume it lowers his already damaged health but if that power exists as you want it to exist I guarantee you I would save rags for last and watch him damage himself. It would also be a total pain to program.

Ragnarok suffered from villain syndrome, he was built with the idea in mind that players will be facing a 395 version of him in PvE, and so he is under powered to compensate. It sucks and makes him a bench sitter on most rosters but that's the way it is.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Save time and energy on development side just go back to how he was originally, but with one massive change. Make him a 2* character.

Let him have his infinite spammy cycles, but also let him have 2* with 2 covers health and damage output. This should ensure he never becomes top tier PvP as it would take way too long to shield hop with him and the same should apply with PvE once a player starts to get to the high scaling territory.
  • hesjingixen
    hesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    I have interest in him for a very specific reason. My standard pairing for PvE nodes is Luke Cage and Iron Fist (shocking I know icon_e_wink.gif ). Ragnarok neatly tanks green for Iron Fist, red for Luke Cage (if he's selected first), provides an active red, and provides an active blue. Thus, he tanks all 3 of his colors, making his blue ALMOST worth it.

All of that said, I still wish his blue and green were "better", but in the end, I plan to use him a good bit (still need 1 more green cover) just because of his colors and his red.

I'd also like to see more new PvEs, because, as it stands, he's one of the few 3*s that you VERY commonly can't use because he's a bad guy.