*** Wolverine (Patch) ***

Comments

• And I figure if defense ever becomes a big part of the game we'll have a respec option by that point anyway.

It is more likely that the devs will too busy thinking of new and ingenious ways to piss us off to implement a respec system.
  • eidehua wrote:
    Strike tiles for green is nice, but from level 3->4 you are getting one more strike tile. And once patch is patched, the enemies will get the same amount of strike tiles as you do, at the same strength.
    I am reading the wiki now and the green should give the same number of tiles to the enemy, but only at half strength. Is this an error that is going to be fixed?
  • Still no hivemind consensus, then? Looks like something's staying at 3, since everything improves significantly at 5, but what isn't obvious. With others, I'm immensely tempted by 5/5/3, but I also fear regretting that with Spider-Man's future uncertain and the only other healer 2* and not that great at it. If you're at 5 green, you all but have to pair him with someone who can do something about the purple strike tiles, and at 3 yellow you also need a healer or at least a tank who'll end up undermining the red (though the note about IM40's self-stun is relevant there).

Think I'm talking myself into 5/3/5. The yellow might often be redundant, but if you really want Magnetic Translocation damage out of the red you have to go to great lengths to ensure it. High as it can get, I feel like the base damage per tile was set knowing the first thing someone would do is stick him with M.Storm to blow out environment and try to get him match priority on 60 or so. You'll need a calculator pairing the guy with Hulk to figure out whether to Smash or Best There Is.
  • The reason why I'm thinking 5/3/5 is because when you boost and match 3 greens, you can use his ability. If you play it right, you can do it so your OBW can then match those enemy pink strike tiles..and regarding his healing, I'm going 5 into it purely for defensive purposes...when someone attacks me, they will have a trickier time rather than just denying me green and red (hey someone's gotta look out for the ai) icon_razz.gif then again, 4/4/5 seems viable due to reds extra damage boost...ugh so confused!
  • I disagree. Either you use his red and put it at lv 5, or don't use and leave it at 3.

A 4/4/5 build does no good for him.

Imho, the best viable builds are 5/3/5 or 5/5/3. Or even 3/5/5 if you don't want strike tiles.

Just try not to look down too much on red too much. If he is high level on your team, and has a lot of tiles favoring him, it's high damage.
  • 5 in yellow would make him pretty beastly on defense. His health pool is not small like 2* Wolvie, and the regen is nearly twice as much (I think). The biggest problem is that if you go 5/3/5 for defense, your opponent is getting the benefit of 6 strike tiles when they bait him into matching green, or use Ares to give it to him. I think you have to pair him with someone whose green the AI will prioritize, like Hulk. That's a difficult team to attack.
  • There is a lot riding on spidey's upcoming fun balancing. If his stun is nerfed then 3/5/5 becomes an awesome defensive build for Patch.

Can't leave him for last but dealing with him first brings the healing factor annoyance.
  • I'm liking the look of 5 in yellow for uptime preservation and relative flexibility in who gets used with him (I also note he's inherited the 2*s quite low recovery time for his class when downed). I think it's a mistake to attach much significance to what he'll do on defense, though. Partly because at 5k HP it's not as if anyone's actually going to be fighting his regen - they'll just ignore him until they can drop him in 1-2 turns, same as they do Astonishing now. Mainly, though, because he's going to kill his own team under AI control, so he's horrific on defense with anyone except possibly a 5 black Hulk, anyway. Do like him, Hulk and Ares for team most likely to commit suicide.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Narkon wrote:
    eidehua wrote:
    Strike tiles for green is nice, but from level 3->4 you are getting one more strike tile. And once patch is patched, the enemies will get the same amount of strike tiles as you do, at the same strength.
    I am reading the wiki now and the green should give the same number of tiles to the enemy, but only at half strength. Is this an error that is going to be fixed?

I think the wiki has it wrong. IceIX posted himself that the green strike tiles are same for both sides, red strike tiles are full for you and half for enemies. (You can even check it now. Use green, check all of your strike tiles and notice they are the max strength. Use red, and notice how half of them are half powered).

Guys, to get a look at what giving 6 max strength strike tiles to enemies, fight the 230 Daken and match a few greens.
    Obviously not the best way to get a feel of what patch would give to enemies, but a start.
  • Here's my advice.

3/5/5 defense
    5/5/3 offense.

Off is obvious. Defense prioritized red for 2 reasons...#1. Lesson enemy strike tile dmg. #2 IF patch isn't killed first, players risk more and more tiles falling under his control. If bad luck happened and a sole standing patch manages a red cast....
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    I do think 5/x/x can work with loki and/or Hulk. Probably won't work on defense though. Besides that:

Strike tiles help by giving consistently nice damage every turn. Patch has some strong strike tiles, but also gives them to enemies. Unless you are building a team to specifically counter/weaken this, you are in turn hurting your self for many turns. No matter if you are able to win say 2-3 turns after using a green, that's a few turns the enemies get with strong strike tiles on their side.

In fact, the longer the fight goes on, the more value strike tiles are worth. But with Patch, the more turns you take the harder you get hit by the enemy strike tiles as well.

Over time, this will hurt your team, and force you to use healing faster than usual. With the balance changes coming to spidey, I don't know if taking so much damage is worth it.

Patch's red skill also helps speed battles up, by dealing a lot of damage to a single target. His damage doesn't seem that great when he only holds 3 tiles (at level 3 red), but then again level 5 red doubles his damage. He also gets stronger if your teammates die (ie, against 200+ PVE enemies, have a weaker person tank, then have Patch use red with more tiles of his).

I feel 3/5/5 is the best way to go both offensively and defensively, unless you are willing to spend a lot on health packs.

With 3 in green, it's likely you are able to clear at least 1 of the enemy strike tiles, and Patch's yellow at 5 can balance out the strike tile damage of 2 or less (full strength) every turn.
    Green gives full strength strike tiles to enemies, while red gives only half strength strike tiles to enemies.
  • Tolken wrote:
    Here's my advice.

3/5/5 defense
    5/5/3 offense.

Off is obvious. Defense prioritized red for 2 reasons...#1. Lesson enemy strike tile dmg. #2 IF patch isn't killed first, players risk more and more tiles falling under his control. If bad luck happened and a sole standing patch manages a red cast....

Think I'll go for a mix, 5/3/5. I don't want to build teams around him and his red and I'm loving Patch/OBW/Loki in the latest pve (with muscle strike tiles substituted for the ones Patch should be making for the opposing team).

I haven't used a single boost yet but with espionage and recon. I have no trouble getting enough green and black.

Just have to keep OBWs black and purple tile damage above Loki's.
  • I'm having an insanely hard time deciding what to do with Patch.

I'm 3/3/3 right now with a Red and Yellow in my cache. I think I'd like x/x/5 more than 5/5/3.

But I can't decide whether to go 3/5/5 or 5/3/5. I'm leaning 3/5/5 because creating that many strike tiles for my enemy is not ideal...but if they never get around to patching Patch, he'd be a monster.
  • 3 green drops in anywhere. 5 green requires someone else babysitting purple strike tiles or goes horribly wrong. I'd decide based on which of those appeals more. 3/5/5 is more consistent, since not pushing green past 3 and taking yellow to 5 are both defensive choices.

I honestly think 5/5/3 is probably best, but I'm doing 5/3/5 anyway. Putting up twelve strike tiles at once (six hostile) is too amusing not to take, and I can't turn down the convenience of always-on regen even though I doubt it's necessary. I'm also prone to trading matches until I end up with overkill for finishers, so I'm not overly fussed about losing a 7,000 damage skill I'd invariably forget to use when I should. That's just what I want, though. That it's consistent with the fact I play inefficiently isn't a ringing endorsement.
  • If there are only 2 reds, are both Best There Is tiles yours?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Im going with 5/3/5. Wolvie doesnt seem like a core character that can fit on any team, so i dont think ill be leveling him a whole lot, which means that his red is unlikely to do any damage. It is a shame that his red is extremely mediocre if not at max level though.
  • My issue with red is Hulk is my current main and they share red/green. It's either underlevel Patch and rely on Anger, or underlevel Hulk and rely on Best There Is.
  • Kikujiro
    Kikujiro Posts: 157
    Think Im going for 5-3-5 too. Tomorrow I'll get my third black Loki cover, still far from ideal. In the meantime Im gonna try with Ares ... Berserker Rage and Rampage the other team into oblivion.
  • What about 5/4/4?

Lvl4 yellow heal all the time. Lvl4 red gives a bit more damage?
  • xinyucao wrote:
    What about 5/4/4?

Lvl4 yellow heal all the time. Lvl4 red gives a bit more damage?

If Astonishing Wolvie is any indication most people on the forum will be against this idea but since that worked out well for me I'm considering this as well.