Need help, i want to hit 1k progression this season!

Malcrof
Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2015 in Roster and Level Help
moved from another thread.
scottee wrote:
Malcrof wrote:

983 is where i got, found what looked to be a fast easy match for 27 points, broke shield to get my first ever 1k.. by the time this 6+ minute fast easy holy hell what a mistake match i won was over, i had been hit for over 100... never got close again.

Now with over 15+ fully covered level 140-154 characters, i am hoping to see 1k this season somewhere other than the Shield Sim.

If you want to hit top PVP progressions, you should really level your characters to 166. Anything lower than max is just begging to get hit. If someone has three nodes of similar nodes open, they're surely attacking you instead of the other two 166 teams.

All the advice not to level characters to the max is hogwash. People are just pansies that can't handle an extra 80 levels of scaling when they raise their own heroes by 50 levels.

I fully intend to get them to 166, just a couple million ISO shy. Each event, i see who is featured and toss iso into them.. currently down to 30k iso left, just brought 2 more up to 140 today (Punisher and Gamora). I finally finished Loki, and still need 2 black for Hood.. and my BP has barely enough covers to make him usable on the first grey nodes of a PVE. Those 2 chars are the reason i have not made the jump to 166 on characters the second i can.. for PVP, from what i have seen, Hood and BP are almost necessary to hit the 1k mark for a 3* person, or at least get a couple skips instead of massive beat downs.

If i am wrong to try and level evenly, check out my roster (link in sig) and tell me the first 3 i should bring to 166 with the covers i have, so i have a chance.. and i promise i will do it as soon as i have the ISO.. i am always welcoming of help from vets, and have never been afraid of scaling.

Check out my roster, let me know what i should be doing next!

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    warning- long post. i'll just let you know what my experience was last season. you can see my roster and other than my single 166, yours is much better, so I'm pretty sure you can get there, just need to commit enough hp to it. i made it to 1000 3 times of the 4 times i tried last season and most of the season i had mostly 120s and 104s to go along with thor/loki (recently brought a chunk up to 140).

what i did was join early and some time in the first 24 hours push up to 6-700. then get beat down. then win a match/get hit and find my 'equilibrium' point where i could just sit without worrying about losing hundreds of points. early in the season that number was around 600. as the season went along, it seemed to slowly get lower (level of the featured character plays a big role) - end of season my hover point was ~400. most of the season i ran thor/loki but sometimes later in the season after taking mags to 140 and when he was boosted, ran mags/loki (not necessarily the best hopping teams because they're somewhat slow - especially thor and loki). Then at a time that made sense with shields, where i was point-wise, how much time i had, etc, I'd push as high as i could from my 'hover/equilibrium point'. before the health packs increased, that was highly dependent on health pack management, so against boosted ** teams and lower *** teams I'd use a B team. after health packs increased i could push as high as i felt comfortable. you want to do this all in one sitting as time efficiently as possible, because the queues that you're in that people are seeing are not updated real time and there is a lag before they update and see what you're real point number is. so the theory is while they think you're still at 550 pts, you're actually pushing up to 800+ and while many, many guys will hit you at 800, not as many will hit you at 500 if you have a good team out there. then by the time they see your point value for the 800s, you've completed your push and you're shielded.

so, depending on my schedule and time available sometimes i would make my push anywhere from 12 to 24 hrs from event end. i could only reasonably push up to the 700s early last season (combination of comfort level and health packs) and then later in the season into the 800s before i either 1) got hit or 2) felt exposed. once you make your initial climb you have to manage your shields and try and avoid at all costs the 24 hr - it is very expensive. i didn't always successfully do that right - was learning on the fly. best way to shield hop is to do the 3/8/3... to the end of the event. if you have a night's sleep before event end you have to make sure an 8hr is available when you go to sleep or you'll be stuck with the 300 hp price tag on the 24 hr.

for hops more than 14 hrs out i went ahead and did 2 matches. for hops in the very early morning (i.e. ~5:30am), I'd do 2-3 matches, depending on how close i was. all hops within 12 hrs of event end i did one match only then immediately reshield. and i only broke shield at event end once because i was right there. if you can break at the ~4 minute mark and finish your match, you might be ok. you might not.

really what helps the most are events where there are a ton of players posting very high scores. the carnage event (where he was 1000pt) was the easiest of all of them because there were more points out there in general (everyone pushed up to 1000+ in that one). i did that one with 450 hp (i pushed the night before and then went 8 (overnight)/3/8/3 on shields to event end). for some reason the event that had px blue at the end of the season was not nearly as heavily played as i had hoped and many of the available matches out there were much lower points than ideal. i guess many were done with the season and playing with featured sentry was not fun, granted. however, the ones that were playing were sniping me pretty good. my last 2 hops i played one match and got hit by the time i got out of the match. which is funny because the 3rd to last hop i was sure i was going to be hit - had a grocket that healed itself twice. that match took forever, but i finished just knowing i was going to come out -100, but nothing. last 2 hops, quick efficient game, hit.

i spent anywhere from 450 hp up into the 600s. ideally, for 450, that is very efficient and should be the goal - you get 150 hp between progressions and rankings, so net spend is 300 and for a **** cover and most of the time a second *** for t25, it is totally worth it, my opinion. carnage was the only event i made 1000 that i didn't hit t25. there was one other where i hit 1000 (for xf) and i had used my 3hr and 8hr and needed 2 matches to make 1000, so broke earlier than event end to give me a chance. i made it, but then the only shield left was a 24 hr and since that would have only netted me a grocket yellow that was coming up in ddq within a few days, i left it unshielded and ended up about 550 by event end.

hope this helps you or anyone else. I'm not consistently up there, so others might have better advice, but that was my experience. i plan on targeting certain characters/events again. would like to make it 5-6 times at least, depending on the awards. won't be targeting starlord, Elektra or carnage, but imhb, px, xf, 4hor i want. nobody seems to be pushing high on this offseason event for 4hor with patch rewards - though that would be better played, but anyway. hope this helps.
  • Malcrof
    Thanks for the info! The HP are not an issue, i have almost 4k banked.

The big question, did you start as soon as the event slice you wanted started or did you hold out for fresh brackets?
    (won't allow me to upvote you)
    TxMoose wrote:
    hope this helps you or anyone else. I'm not consistently up there, so others might have better advice, but that was my experience. i plan on targeting certain characters/events again. would like to make it 5-6 times at least, depending on the awards. won't be targeting starlord, Elektra or carnage, but imhb, px, xf, 4hor i want. nobody seems to be pushing high on this offseason event for 4hor with patch rewards - though that would be better played, but anyway. hope this helps.

I actually want Starlord and Elektra. Is it easier when the 4* is ones people don't like?
  • TxMoose
    Malcrof wrote:
    The big question, did you start as soon as the event slice you wanted started or did you hold out for fresh brackets?
    I entered before the slice opened to get the seeds. any free iso helps and once in a while I would get seeds up to ~200. at minimum I got seeds up to 100 (3 matches). I don't have the roster depth to make a big push at the end and unless you r doing it within the last hr or 2 of the event, fresh slices don't matter much I don't think. at that point you'll be seeing *** rosters right off the bat. if you enter early you will get some ** and lower *** after the seeds and you can really comfortably get up to 400-500 pretty easily. my one experience joining late was not a good one - high teams right off the bat and lots of work. I'd rather start my push from 500s than from 0. but, if you're going for placement sometimes you can luck out. the one time I tried it I didn't and fought my way to 102nd place - won't do that again until I have several teams at 166 and some healers.
    Malcrof wrote:
    I actually want Starlord and Elektra. Is it easier when the 4* is ones people don't like?
    I disagree a little. carnage was by far the highest scoring event because everyone and their mom was shooting for 1000 and there were a ton of points out there to be had. even high up you could find matches for 40+ pts. in the others, when not near as many people are high, there are less points in the system. so matches in your queue may be lower than ideal. I think adding the **** at 1300 will infuse more points into the system overall to make 1000 easier (I'm hoping). the 'more activity' part of it doesn't matter when you're shielded. and usually playing one match hops works (sometimes not, but mostly yes).

I have about the same amount. hoping it lasts the season and we'll see how I proceed after this season - if there's a sale i'll probably buy another load. but generally not for covers. slots and shields only.
  • Malcrof
    Loads of good info, i was always waiting to join, and getting a round of seed teams then the fight began. I will try joining at the start!

to avoid sheilding after the initial push, is 400 a good point? or should i push as far as i can at the start?
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Unless you have a well developed roster of maxed featured 3*s and/or 4*s, it's generally better to start early, and push up in stages.

How far you push up depends on two things: your boosted roster, and how the overall leaderboard is looking. If you have a max boosted trio (or close to it), you can generally push up pretty high before you start inviting attacks (500-600). 400 should be pretty safe, given your roster. Secondly, keep an eye on the top ten leaderboard, and your overall position. When you push up early, if you don't have a team that actively discourages attacks, you need to make sure you're not sitting up in front of the pack. You don't want to be worth too many points.

As an example, if I start early, I'll generally push firstly to 300-400 (for the token and HP), then sit. I'll then push to the 575 progression with a day to go. The morning that the event ends, I'll then push to around 700, then sit and wait for all my healthpacks to regenerate. After that, I'll push as high as I can in a non-peak time for the 1K mark. It sounds like my roster's a touch more developed than yours (10 maxed 3*s), so you may have to adjust your "catch a breath" points.
  • Malcrof
    Well right now, i am top 10 in Thing PVE, so will be trying these strategies here soon, will keep you updated. Thank you all for the info, i am excited to test these!
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    You have a darn good roster, better than mine and I've been hitting the 1k progression quite regularly last season. Your problem is you have handicapped yourself by not levelling key 3 stars to 166.

When I first started hitting 1k progressions, I used mainly level 166 thor and daken unboosted to get to about 950, shield, then used a super whale on my last fight usually on a level maxed 4* team worth 70 points. The climb itself wasn't that fast but with daken on the team, it helped mitigate the health pack use to some extent. I also sub in a blade from time to time and with the right board, is extremely quick.

Your problem seems to be pouring iso into whoever the flavour of the week is which means you have many half levelled characters that are just dead weight most of the time.

If i had your roster, I would be focussing on getting Thor, Daken, Patch and Hulk up to 166 as soon as possible. Other possibly good characters to level include Kamala Khan (I just got her to 166 but have yet to field test her in an unboosted environment but should be faster than thor), cyclops (when you get your last cover), magneto ( i lose to magneto more than any other character), blade (need those last two thirst covers) and luke cage (great for sustainability).

Start your climbs early, rest at your equilibrium point (about 600-700 at level 166) and push early. I aim to get to 1000 points a day before the end of the event, then its up to you whether or not you want to shield out the rest of the event or get knocked back down. I have not used more than 1 three and 1 eight hour shield to get my 1000 progression reward. Good luck.

Oh and today i got to 1000 points without shielding using level 145 patch, 166 kamala and 140 hood in the patch event. All three characters were boosted but kamala khan did most of the heavy lifting. Sometimes, you just get really lucky with boosted characters and its great when those boosted characters are already maxed.
  • Malcrof
    Well, between replies and PMs, the only thing universally agreed on are KK and Dalem to 166 ASAP. Was also told Thor and Cage. The Patch PVE is just rough, not coming close, trying to farm ISO in shield sim and PVE. Thinking KK and Daken to 166 first, then Thor? Do you think the advice on Cage is good?
  • spectator
    edited June 2015
    I like cage. He makes all those low hp characters such as Loki and hood much more usable. Others like him because of his yellow (or black) nuke. Whether you want to level him or not depends on the role you see him in but I think if you want a nuke, build Cyclops first.

Kamala may end up making Thor redundant but you really cant go wrong raising Thor to 166. thunder strike leads to call the storm plus a load of strike tiles. If you boost yellow to 3 (or 4) towards the end of your climb, matches end fairly quickly. Of course inhuman stretchiness does the same thing only quicker so that may be why most suggest levelling her first. I'll report back when I get to use her when she is unboosted
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    I've been hitting 1k for a few seasons, and the main 3*s I'll use unboosted are Kamala, IF, Cage and Cyclops. Blade and Hood are sometimes called in. I leveled Thor up as my tenth 3* or so, and never really got into using him. My Magneto was just covered recently, but I think he's quite good too.

Daken was my go to character early on, but I prefer the attack tile of IF, and IF purple ability.

There are lots of viable teams, but literally no team is going to keep you from getting hit, except maybe boosted Prof X and boosted Carnage. If you're worth points, people will hammer you down. I ran maxed Patch/Hood/Daredevil last PVP and got hit plenty, but I got up to 1400+ points.

The key thing is to get a workable 166 team with synergy (IF making black for Cyclops, Kamala making green for Thor or vice versa), and then: join a coordinated alliance. An alliance should all join one shard, and climb off of each other. This lets you know when to queue (you know when teammates are climbing and waste far less in skip taxes), you mainly hit shielded teammates at high levels (avoiding retaliations and bad blood overall), and everyone gets high scores together. You can get 1k without a good alliance, but it's a lot harder and wastes a lot more ISO and hp.

At this point, even at my 'lazy play' level, I'm averaging 11-1200, but I'll probably shoot for 1300. My Hulkbuster is nearly finished, and I'm working on Prof X and Kingpin, still a few months away, but I'm not spending $ to get them covered.
  • I have good core of 166s and have been able to hit 1k since the changes (god bless the weekly buffed 3s). It's great since I don't have to grind as much in PVE and have more time to spend with my family.

But with the Patch PVP, I found that climbing the extra 300 to get the Thoress was a nightmare with points all dried up, ranging from 20-28 unless I was ballsy enough to challenge maxed Hulkbusters and Ironfists for 40-50 points. I tried boosting and lets say I immediately regretted my decision.

Are there any tips on how to climb further in the 1000-1300 range? I suppose it's really down to roster isn't it? For Patch PVP I had 290 Patch 240 KK 240 Hood.
  • spectator
    hmm, this brings up something that i've been meaning to ask since the last pvp. At one point during my climb, i was second with about 800 points and 3rd place was at around 600ish (it was probably early in the bracket). Anyway, I found at least 3 teams worth 70ish points, mainly fist hulkbusters but i think there was also a fury hulkbuster team too and of these teams were not in my bracket as far as i can tell. So what gives, where were these mysterious 70+ point teams coming from. For reference, I was in slice 1 with just over 8 hours remaining.
  • Malcrof
    Well, 2 pvp's in, and 800 seems to be my wall. I will work on getting some to 166 asap, and see if i can work from there.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    spectator wrote:
    hmm, this brings up something that i've been meaning to ask since the last pvp. At one point during my climb, i was second with about 800 points and 3rd place was at around 600ish (it was probably early in the bracket). Anyway, I found at least 3 teams worth 70ish points, mainly fist hulkbusters but i think there was also a fury hulkbuster team too and of these teams were not in my bracket as far as i can tell. So what gives, where were these mysterious 70+ point teams coming from. For reference, I was in slice 1 with just over 8 hours remaining.
    Within each slice (or shard) there are brackets, of 500, I think. So, if you're in a lucky bracket, the scores will be low, but there will still be lots of top players sharing space with you. That's good, because there's no other way to get big points without big players.

As for the one trying to fight IF/Hulkbusters, I won 9 out of 10 matches against them with Patch/Hood/Kamala. I went into the matches with AP boosts, did two and shielded. I hit them in the order IF/HB/Patch. You can do it, especially with some boosts.
  • spectator
    good to know. I use to not climb that high in a new bracket because i didnt think there would be any points available.

As to fistbusters, I win 2 out of every three encounters but they do tend to cost me healthpacks and are slow to win. I avoid them unless they are worth 60+ points and even then sometimes i rather go with easier targets
  • Malcrof
    spectator wrote:
    good to know. I use to not climb that high in a new bracket because i didnt think there would be any points available.

As to fistbusters, I win 2 out of every three encounters but they do tend to cost me healthpacks and are slow to win. I avoid them unless they are worth 60+ points and even then sometimes i rather go with easier targets

That is where a 5 purple icon_doctordoom.png comes in handy, he can 1 shot a 10k+ hulkbuster.. just takes time to setup.
  • TxMoose
    Malcrof wrote:
    spectator wrote:

That is where a 5 purple icon_doctordoom.png comes in handy, he can 1 shot a 10k+ hulkbuster.. just takes time to setup.
    if they're flooding the board with black, Cyclops can help take advantage of that. actually doom blue into Cyclops - I've used that one before, but doom blue is slow. fist is obviously faster.
  • Malcrof
    TxMoose wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    spectator wrote:

if they're flooding the board with black, Cyclops can help take advantage of that. actually doom blue into Cyclops - I've used that one before, but doom blue is slow. fist is obviously faster.

With boosted Daredevil, i was thinking of bringing my 140 5/3/5 cyc in, get a trap or 2 off, and then those yellows come in real handy and can cause some major cascades.
  • spectator
    I have a 3/5/5 lvl 130 doom. The only problem is every time I've used him he has felt really slow.

And I've been using Thor and kamala during lethal intent. fast and powerful. This might be my new pushing team
  • mikepro
    mikepro Posts: 95 Match Maker
    ok heres my issue with getting 1K points. i can avg about 750 peak but inish around 500-600 depending on end time. i dont have te greatest roster but they include a lvl 114 icon_hulk.png a 94 icon_daken.pngicon_wolverine.pngicon_magneto.pngicon_humantorch.pngicon_storm.png and what ever is boosted for that event. i have a few that need powers to lvl up like icon_carnage.pngicon_gamora.pngicon_loki.pngicon_daredevil.pngicon_quicksilver.pngicon_mystique.pngicon_nickfury.png those guys are all over 75 but unless they are boosted i dont use them ofetn.

i do a quick 300-400 at the start then try and push to the 500 mark during day 2 then the final push after that to get the 750 mark. i want to hit the 800 right now but the 1K would be great with my roster