*** Wolverine (Patch) ***

Comments

• Patch is bugged at the moment. He's a god with all the strike tiles lol.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Originally posted at the Divine Champions Thread.

Hulk/Patch/C.Storm, up against level 85 Thor/Ares/CStorm

I was mostly playing around with teams when I tried the above in the tourney. It was an amusing match to watch. I went in with 6 green from boosts.

First round -- match 3 green.
    Second round -- Patch uses Berserker rage, put up 12 strike tiles.
    The C.Storms get into a slap fight. Each round of it, Hulk gets angrier. 4 slaps later, the enemy C.Storm goes down.
    4 Angers get triggered, lots of green rolls in.
    Patch uses Berserker rage again.
    Match 3 green to end turn, killing Ares.
    Third round -- Match three red to kill Thor.

My team got shredded, but it was amusing to watch, and they all survived. If my Patch was at level 140 instead of just level 67, I think the fight would have ended on round 2.

Hulk/Patch is proving to be effective against Maxed/Buffed high level foes. When the strike tile bug is fixed, Loki will need to join the team.
  • 20sy329.jpg

IGN: darkTears
  • Darktears wrote:
    20sy329.jpg

IGN: darkTears
    That makes me so sad that you already have him at max

I want to have him at max LoL
  • Originally posted at the Divine Champions Thread.
    Hulk/Patch is proving to be effective against Maxed/Buffed high level foes. When the strike tile bug is fixed, Loki will need to join the team.

It isnt a bug, the devs intentionally release him overpowered to make the users buy his covers. You know there are persons that love pay to win.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    I have Patch at level 60 now-- his buffed stats in the PVE are similar to max level Patch without buff. I'm 2/2/3 (one from using HP on the new pack).
    He feels great to play. I feel 5 yellow is quite important, especially when his green is fixed and he gives enemies strike tiles (so he can recover some damage from healing factor every turn).
  • I think 5/3/5 is optimal for him. Anyone agree? 10 yellow to heal is too much, whereas a constant 300+ hp is sweet! Additionally, if you plan it strategically so that there are a lot of purples on the board, you can use his green and clear the enemy strike tiles.
  • I think 5 yellow is set, but I have a hard time deciding between 5 green or red. Both double in damage from 3 to 5. I'd rather go green but then again I have already 3 others that cover green quite well and no real hard hitter for red.
  • Right now, with Patch at lv51 boosted (equivalent ~120ish?), I am very underwhelmed by the lv2 red damage. It barely feels worth using unless you get a really good board for it, or your teammates start dying. Meanwhile, 4 strike tiles feels like a pretty good number while 6 might be overkill, so I think I would be tempted to go 4/4/5 or 4/5/4.
  • eidehua
    Celerity wrote:
    Right now, with Patch at lv51 boosted (equivalent ~120ish?), I am very underwhelmed by the lv2 red damage. It barely feels worth using unless you get a really good board for it, or your teammates start dying. Meanwhile, 4 strike tiles feels like a pretty good number while 6 might be overkill, so I think I would be tempted to go 4/4/5 or 4/5/4.

Here's some pros/cons about his red and green skills, and why I think yellow needs 5 covers.

Patch's red doubles in damage (I think) if you level it to 5... (16 to 35). His damage at level 2 (same for 3) doesn't seem to do that much if wolvie is only covering 3 colors. I've been hitting for 2-4k with a level 60 buffed patch (a bit over max level in terms of stats). Is that much better than other red skills? It seems like it could be on par, and in certain team comps/ situations (last man standing) the red will be better than other red skills. (At level 3). Would doubling this damage make his red skill good, even if he covers only 3 colors? Or even a 40% boost, if you are going with 4 in red?
    --The one downside to this skill is you don't know the damage exactly unless you count all his tiles. If you want to be efficient with his red, that could be quite some time spent on counting his tiles.

Strike tiles for green is nice, but from level 3->4 you are getting one more strike tile. And once patch is patched, the enemies will get the same amount of strike tiles as you do, at the same strength.
    3 green strike tiles for the enemy already outweighs the healing from yellow, more strike tiles help you but also hurt you.
    Does 1 more strike tile help you? 3->4 in Red gets you around a 40% increase in damage, perhaps that is enough to take out one enemy.
    The red skill strike tiles are less damaging to you, because enemies only get half the strength tiles.

I still think 5 yellow is needed, especially to just cancel out (sort of) the strike tiles given to enemies. Plus, in the next match, he can heal up the first few turns while you get your green/red.
    Otherwise he need >10 yellow tiles for full healing, and that is harder to get than what wolvie 2* had.
  • Am I the only one who thinks Red is underrated?

At level 5, it deals more than twice damage as level 3

At lv 141, it will do 216 damage per tile.

Imagine just 20 tiles on the board.

BAM! 4k damage. But then again, 14 AP is really a lot....
  • mechgouki wrote:
    Am I the only one who thinks Red is underrated?

I was thinking that if I use him with other 3-star characters at level 141, he might not have many tiles that bear his icon. With Hulk and Punisher as teammates it may not be so difficult to get Red, Green, and Yellow at least bearing his icon.
  • I'm also underwhelmed by his red so far. Leaning 5/3/5 purely for him being usable in a variety of teams instead of being pigeon holed into a team that lets him get all the tile icons.
  • eidehua
    entropic01 wrote:
    I'm also underwhelmed by his red so far. Leaning 5/3/5 purely for him being usable in a variety of teams instead of being pigeon holed into a team that lets him get all the tile icons.
    Keep in mind his red doubles in damage (it seems from the base numbers) from 3->5.
    More green also means more green strike tiles for the enemies, meaning your team gets hurt more (Patch himself can only offset (with healing factor) around 2 enemy strike tiles from his green).
    Spidey is getting nerfed, so heals may be more rare.

Iron man 40 could be a good teammate for him. Not only does his yellow recharge green/red (assuming level 3), iron man stuns himself, giving more tiles to wolvie (I don't know what IM40 tile damage is, but at least blue may be open for wolvie).
    IM40 has 60 yellow, 67 red, 52 blue at max.
    Patch has 52 yellow, 60 red, 12 blue, and 67 green. Stunned IM40 would give Patch Yellow, red, and blue.
    (assuming other member does not conflict).
  • No way I'm not going 5/5/3. Heal is nice, but my team is there to fight and not stand still. Fights are as short as possible. 5 yellow is completely unnecessary to me.
  • Microtom wrote:
    No way I'm not going 5/5/3. Heal is nice, but my team is there to fight and not stand still. Fights are as short as possible. 5 yellow is completely unnecessary to me.

I haven't thought much about Patch yet but I've been more and more prone to this type of thinking lately. And I figure if defense ever becomes a big part of the game we'll have a respec option by that point anyway.
  • Microtom wrote:
    No way I'm not going 5/5/3. Heal is nice, but my team is there to fight and not stand still. Fights are as short as possible. 5 yellow is completely unnecessary to me.

I haven't thought much about Patch yet but I've been more and more prone to this type of thinking lately. And I figure if defense ever becomes a big part of the game we'll have a respec option by that point anyway.

The thing to consider also is that wolverine can't eat every hit. You'll have other hero of different colors. When they'll match those other colors they'll get hit. If you want to jump from one fight to the other quickly, you'll need to mitigate the damage those other heroes will receive. Currently, my black widow heals my team whit her blue power, and even if wolverine didn't receive healing from his yellow power, black widow would still heal him. So his yellow power becomes a bit redundant.

You could use your wolverine to eat the the damaging powers from tthe opposing team, but to do that you'd have to leave tiles so as red or green on the board in for when the opposing team has a power ready to launch at you. However, you never want to do that, because red and green ap are a priority, and you don't want the other team to have it. So what end up happening is that when the opposing team has a power ready to be launched at you, there's no match on the board for wolverine to make, and another hero end up eating it in the face.

So this is my thoughts on the subject. 3 yellow is still powerful as there's more often 10 yellow ap on the board then not.
  • mechgouki wrote:
    Am I the only one who thinks Red is underrated?

Better than Unibeam.

I think he has 3 good lvl5s. Moreso than Hulk. It's a tough choice.
  • if the red one was a bit cheeper i may consider picking it but as it stands i will go with 5/3/5 and hopefully when i get my loki up and running i will be a monster
  • Not sure about yellow. Importance may go up if they nerf Spidey healing too much. As things stand now I would probably go 5/5/3 and send him out with Spidey for healing when needed. That is the approach I took with 2* Wolvie but he has lower yellow reqs (8 vs. 10 at level 3). With yellow at 2 right now I've missed heals where I did not have 11 yellow - there were 10 though. Knowing he would heal makes maxing him out so he can take damage and heal up no matter what a pretty good strategy. Helps offset green backlash as well.

Regarding green, once the bug is fixed, it will be painful to use without stun lock. Using his green when buffed like he is now would be suicide. Again, much depends on the details of the Spidey nerf. Understand I could use Loki and may very well do that as I managed to max his covers (cursing each draw that gave me him over Rags... Good times).

Red seems pretty great other than the cost. Like that the opponents strike tiles are half the damage of yours. Wish that was the case for green.