**** Professor X (Charles Xavier) ****

Comments

• moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    My view on him has changed. Blue while insane requires either board luck or specific characters. GSBW is about the only one that can consistently abuse him and that can be fixed by making green her strongest color. Pvp he is a liability and since it appears that D3 is making nerfs and buffs now off of high level PvP I don't see him getting nerfed directly any time soon.

Now for a question. Is it worth leveling PX past 221 assuming your ISO is limited?

If they change GSBW to make green her strongest colour, then just pop SW in as the main purple user and have GSBW on the side.

With PX powered over GSBW, I had to use Mystique/PX/GSBW for PvE since Mystique was boosted to 240.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    My view on him has changed. Blue while insane requires either board luck or specific characters.
    Why is excellent synergy between two characters a bad thing?
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I would not level him above the level in which his blue will be stronger than a 3 star level 166 most powerful color. You want GSBW purple to create more purple AP. Or with Deadpool and SW. Man that team is awesome. Getting a whales off and 4k damage from floating head of death by the 4th turn.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    My view on him has changed. Blue while insane requires either board luck or specific characters. GSBW is about the only one that can consistently abuse him and that can be fixed by making green her strongest color. Pvp he is a liability and since it appears that D3 is making nerfs and buffs now off of high level PvP I don't see him getting nerfed directly any time soon.

Now for a question. Is it worth leveling PX past 221 assuming your ISO is limited?
    blue doesn't require luck
  • LuciferianX
    LuciferianX Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    The wrinkled grape is correct; while luck may play a factor, there are many ways to aggressively influence the outcome: IF, LThor, KK, Mystique, Loki, SW are some major ones in the three star world. Each of them add color(s) to the board that have a reasonable likelihood of creating a 5 match.

There are other board shakers that also commonly result in a cascade with a chance for a crit, including: Beast, She-Hulk, GSBW (giving her two ways to do it), Storm, Hulk, Rocket & Groot, Doc Ock and (urk) Carnage also give you the opportunity for a cascade.

So while luck certainly has a role, there are a lot of team compositions that can create the intended result.
  • simonsez
    The shrunken prune is factually correct, but since the comment he's allegedly contradicting clearly used the word "either", it was a rhetorical failure.
  • LuciferianX
    LuciferianX Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    Here are some TRUE FACTS about demoted and dried plums.

Good point.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    So 5/3/5 won the build poll. Has anyone tried alternative builds?

5 blue seems mandatory since his greatest value seems to be abusing his blue in pve, but is the extra strike tile from 5 yellow better than increased tile boosting power from invisibility? Is 5/4/4 viable?
  • simonsez
    Vhailorx wrote:
    is the extra strike tile from 5 yellow better than increased tile boosting power from invisibility?
    I don't think so. I don't have 5 purple yet, so I mostly use him for crits, but the times I've tried to use him as a super-falcon, boosting two tiles at a time just isn't fast enough.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you use him to run infinite with GSBW and Scarlett, 5 in yellow indeed gets in the way on long PVE matches. So I'm building 5/5/3 right now. However, 5/3/5 is definitely better when he's on his own, as you have a way of making strike/attack tiles in the first place.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally I prefer the big jump in effectiveness from 3 to 4 purple to the attack tile offered by that fifth yellow.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    I have mine 5/4/4 I like it, but am thinking about switching to 4/5/4 but I'm not sure how much that extra 2 ap is helping, so I want to gauge that over the next while before I switch. Any thoughts?

I generally win either because the blue damage or boosting tiles while invisible, if he doesn't tank any colors I know you can't boost, but if he ends up alone it can be crazy powerful.

What to do. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    nwman wrote:
    I have mine 5/4/4 I like it, but am thinking about switching to 4/5/4 but I'm not sure how much that extra 2 ap is helping, so I want to gauge that over the next while before I switch. Any thoughts?

I generally win either because the blue damage or boosting tiles while invisible, if he doesn't tank any colors I know you can't boost, but if he ends up alone it can be crazy powerful.

What to do. icon_e_smile.gif

The majority of my alliance members were in the 5/3/5/ camp but now they are saying 4/4/5 just because of the huge jump in the boost on purple and the only real difference between 4 and 5 blue is the 2 extra ap.

I think 5 yellow is non negotiable because its free tiles just by using abilities. Definitely a well designed character as there is no 1 clear-cut build.
  • Turbosmooth
    Turbosmooth Posts: 213
    I'm currently 5/2/3, but going for 5/5/3.
    I got my 6th blue cover. Tempted to start a second PX.
  • So, general consensus on Prof X is he is great at PVE but not great at PVP? Is that right? I got 6 covers on mine and he seems legit but I don't want to make myself a target in PVP by playing him.
  • barrok wrote:
    So, general consensus on Prof X is he is great at PVE but not great at PVP? Is that right? I got 6 covers on mine and he seems legit but I don't want to make myself a target in PVP by playing him.
    you're gonna be a target but I see folks climbing with him....GSBW + prof + featured
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    barrok wrote:
    So, general consensus on Prof X is he is great at PVE but not great at PVP? Is that right? I got 6 covers on mine and he seems legit but I don't want to make myself a target in PVP by playing him.

He's not that scary in PVP indeed. He can definitively wreck you if the AI gets some cascades and he manages to go invisible but it's not hard to prevent him from doing so. He has relatively low HP and he's slow to get going, just need to down him first.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you're going to use him in PVP, 5 yellow is a must. But if you're mainly using him with GSBW, 5 yellow gets in the way and 3 yellow is better.

If I was using him in PVP, I'd be at 3/5/5. Since right now I mainly use him for infinite in PVE, 5/5/3.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2015
    barrok wrote:

Prof x is 4* obw. Offensively He punches above his weight if a team is designed to use him. And defensively he can destroy you in PvP with a bit of luck. But he is also very squishy and can generally be shut down with ap denial.

So I might try to avoid him during shield hops, because there is some chance that he will get some lucky cascades and crush me (and if he is the easiest 60+ point match I will take the risk). But I also may hunt him while climbing because 80% of the time he is easier than burning through an 18k health imhb.
  • Turbosmooth
    Turbosmooth Posts: 213
    In PvP Balance of Power, and Simulation everyone wins against my PX+GSBW+SW. This morning, I won 450 points, but got hit for 420 points at the same time. While shielded, I don't win any points. The more I learn about how PvP works, the more I hate it. The same person hit me 4 times in a row between two fast matches. How is that even possible?
    This team should never get nerfed because any team can beat it. I know because I will go against any PX team myself as well.