What Are You Listening To?

Comments

• Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    2003 - 22 to choose from, including 5 double- and 1 triple-CD albums. Highlights include In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 by Coheed & Cambria, To Watch The Storms by Steve Hackett, OSI by OSI, Rush In Rio by Rush, and One Night In New York by Yellow Matter Custard

Ah, 2003, the year I moved to New Zealand from the UK, and suddenly going to see someone I liked meant a 3 hour flight to Australia, or in the case of Marillion, 11 hours to Los Angeles and San Francisco
  • Moon Roach
    edited May 2015
    2004 - 17 to choose from, including 5 double- and 1 triple-CD albums (again). Highlights include Live at Budokan by Dream Theater, Day Two by Endochine, Marbles by Marillion, R30 by Rush, and Songs From Tsongas by Yes

Marbles. Gods what an album. Perfection with the exception of Ocean Cloud, which I usually skip, but not in the "Annual Listen"

edit: Aargh, I had An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess in 2004, which is when it was released, but it was recorded live in 2000. The shame.
  • Moon Roach
    2005 - 20 to choose from, including 7 double-CD albums. Highlights include Octavarium by Dream Theater, Picture by Kino, Marbles By The Sea by Marillion, ? by Neal Morse, and Icon by Wetton / Downes

Marbles By The Sea, Marillion convention 2005 in Minehead, I was there. And Icon by Wetton / Downes paved the way for the Asia reunion a few years later.

edit: Special mention to Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness by Coheed & Cambria, if only for the length of the album's title. And it's very, very good.
  • Moon Roach
    2006 - 22 to choose from, including 5 double-CD albums. Highlights include One Life by Johnny Clegg, Paradox Hotel by The Flower Kings, Milliontown by Frost*, When The Lights Go Down by It Bites, and Spock's Beard by Spock's Beard.

Milliontown, a mighty album, one of my all-time favourites.
  • Moon Roach
    Taking a break in between One Night In New York by Amazing Journey (Mike Portnoy's tribute to The Who) and You & Me by Joe Bonamassa, as "it" has just arrived. Progeny: Seven Shows From Seventy-Two by Yes. 14 CDs of shows on the CTTE tour between October 31 and November 20 1972. It reminds me of the tours where I used to go to every Yes show (in the UK).
  • Moon Roach
    2007 - 25 to choose from, including 5 double- and 1 quadruple-CD albums. Highlights include Systematic Chaos by Dream Theater, Live Over Europe 2007 by Genesis, Sola Scriptura by Neal Morse, Snakes & Arrows by Rush, and Discordant Dreams by Touchstone.

Special mention once again to Coheed & Cambria, whose Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World for Tomorrow has quite a lot of mightiness, not just in the naming.

Also a special mention for GPS, with Two Seasons: Live In Japan. How John Payne was treated by Geoff Downes is a scandal.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Slow work day, going to be Slipknot, Five Finger DP, Mudvayne + whatever Pandora throws in with it today.. usually they give me Godsmack, Mushroomhead, KMFDM, All That Remains, etc to go with.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haven't posted in this for a good while...

Today is looking like the Animals as Leaders discography.

Great gaming music. First real day off in a good while, so I'm going to take advantage of it. icon_lol.gif
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    I wholeheartedly recommend Stoned Immaculate, a The Doors cover album. That redo of The End is absolutely brilliant.
  • Malcrof
    Today is going to be 70's and 80's rock.. ugh i got old, how is Boston classic rock already?????? and why did Pandora throw REM into my station... sometimes i don't think Pandora understands what i am looking for.
  • Atomic Kitten icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • i am listing to MIA - Paper planes.

i really love this icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Moon Roach
    pruttel070 wrote:
    Atomic Kitten icon_e_biggrin.gif

I've got the album "Right Now". And when I say "I've got" I mean "The wife's got it and I ripped it for her so it's on my hard drive if I wanted to listen to it, but I don't".

But Jem Godfrey of Frost* (mighty prog rock) co-wrote "Whole Again", and won a few awards for it. Still not tempted though.

The mighty Trevor Horn did stuff with Dollar, I'm not tempted there either.
  • Malcrof
    Storming bad here today.. decided on making an Amaranthe/In This Moment/Pretty Reckless station for today.

not saying women cause nasty weather.. but for some reason, it goes together.
  • Moon Roach
    So sad and coincidental, next up after Live by Spock's Beard is Chris Squire's Swiss Choir, and I heard today that Chris has died. RIP Chris, mightiest of all bass players.
  • Moon Roach
    2008 - 19 to choose from, including 7 double- and 2 triple-CD albums. Highlights include Experiments In Mass Appeal by Frost*, The Tall Ships by It Bites, So Many Roads by Neal Morse, These Are The Moments by The Rankin Family, and Promised Land by Dar Williams.

The downside to listening to these the way I do hits here. 3 live Liquid Tension Experiment albums in a row over 5 CDs, the middle one being the night that the keyboard broke. I love the first LTE album, quite like the second, but this much in one sitting is a little too much.
  • Moon Roach
    2009 - 19 to choose from, including 6 double-CD albums. Highlights include The Ballad of John Henry by Joe Bonamassa, Black Clouds And Silver Linings by Dream Theater, Wintercoast by Touchstone, The Whirlwind by Transatlantic and In The Present - Live From Lyon by Yes.

Special mention for The Philadelphia Experiment by Frost*, a band I'd love to be able to see live
  • Came across this awesome japanese hardcore band called "fear and loathing in las vegas"

but aside from that; Television - Cherry Moon // This Mortal Coil // Durutti Column (im in a big post-punk / dark wave phase right now)
  • Moon Roach
    After a week on leave it's been back to listening, and now we're entering the home straight.

2010 - 26 to choose from, including 9 double and 2 triple-CD albums. Highlights include New Morning by Alpha Rev, Black Country by Black Country Communion, The Year Of The Black Rainbow by Coheed & Cambria, If by Glass Hammer, In The Wake Of Evolution by Kaipa and X by Spock's Beard.

The title track In The Wake Of Evolution is available for Rock Band 3, and it is awesome to play. You can also get 3 tracks from The Year Of The Black Rainbow, and they are very, very hard to play. "Here We Are Juggernaut" is very appropriate.

Update: just got to Whirld Tour 2010 by Transatlantic, which has the following:

The Whirlwind - 1:19:52
    All Of The Above - 30:19
    We All Need Some Light - 8:40
    Duel With The Devil - 28:32
    Bridge Across Forever - 6:03
    Stranger In Your Soul - 30:00

6 tracks, over 3 hours. Now that's a tour I wish I'd been able to see.
  • worth a try on it