What Other Games Are You Playing?

GothicKratos
GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2016 in Off Topic
I know a lot of us don't only play MPQ (some of our forumers don't even play MPQ much anymore), so I figured I'd sort out a way for all of us to talk about whatever it is we are playing right now.

Personally, I've been playing the Hell out of Final Fantasy: Record Keeper. It's a ton of fun if you enjoyed the old school Final Fantasy games. There's really not an emphasis on "play to win" because it's essentially a big PvE. There's no real "paywalls" either - I haven't spent a red cent yet, I can I pretty much clear every ounce of content - and most of the content I cannot clear is because I haven't been grinding orbs as good as I could have (and I'm talking like two stages per event, nothing huge). If you're interested in checking it out, now is a fantastic time to start, because they're running an event that gives out a ton of, well, everything. They're also running an event giving out Vivi and Garnet from FFIX.

Another game I've been playing kind of a lot is called Unison League. It's sort of a turn-based RPG, in the sense that you can assign your character four abilities and each ability has it's own CD, so it's real time realistically, but you can't just spam away. I've been having fun with it, but it's definitely a grindfest (but the battles are pretty fun imo). This is a pretty casual play for me, but it has a lot of guild battle type stuff, so there's plenty of depth, if that's your thing.

Last game I'm gunna give a shout out to today is Tap Titans. Guilty pleasure if there is one. Super simple game. All you literally do is tap the screen. Think of those mindless games akin to Cookie Clicker, but Tap Titans continues to play for you (albeit at a much slower pace), so while you're sleeping or at work, you're still progressing. It's really a pretty fun timesink.

Comments

• JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just started with Ghostbusters Puzzle Fighter. It's currently only available on iOS in the Canadian app store, but it's very similar to MPQ.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Puzzles and Dragons... and not on mobile, still addicted to Diablo 3 on my XBox One. (my wife is still better than me at it though icon_e_sad.gif )
  • Dninot
    Dninot Posts: 214
    Batman Arkham Knight

Any moment i'm home, i'm playing that.

I'm forgetting to play MPQ because of obsessions with Riddler trophies now.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dninot wrote:
    Batman Arkham Knight

Any moment i'm home, i'm playing that.

I'm forgetting to play MPQ because of obsessions with Riddler trophies now.

Oh God, I know that feeling. I don't have AK yet, but my completionist in me ruined the first two for me, practically.

My home gaming pretty much consists completely of League of Legends. I've been nitpicking at Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and Tomb Raider for awhile now too - both killers on that completionist bug too. icon_lol.gif
  • Metal Gear Solid 4. Just now getting around to it.
  • Turbosmooth
    Turbosmooth Posts: 213
    Tried out "Puzzle Dragon Z + Super Mario Bros. Edition" on the 3DS. There is a demo available so you don't even have to waste a rent on this. I'm glad the demo was available because I thought this was going to be an automatic purchase. The bosses will hit with 180% of your health bar within 4 moves. You can save up for a shield that halves that. So you only get hit 90%. So you better have 91% or more health going in to the boss, if you want to survive. But they can have first strike and hit you for 30% that is unblockable. Even regular enemies can have first strike abilities. Also some enemies can hit for over 100%. In their expert tutorial, they show you can get a massive cascade, have a special (not even boss) enemy block all of the attacks and still hit over 100%.

Put all that imbalance aside and get to the matching: They have a 6x5 grid. 30 tiles vs the 64 (8x8) we use in Puzzle Quest. This gives you less opportunities even though they have less tile variety. You don't simply swap tiles, you drag a tile to another spot which swaps all the tiles in the wake. It is timed once you start moving, so you can't really fix any mistakes. It's not a fun task trying to map out the entire move. Even when you do what you want, the good part of the combo is the cascade luck from falling tiles. Relying on luck ruins strategy games. You can target enemies which is a key strategy. Some of the special moves are great, but from my experience, can only do them each once in a level. Each enemy has a countdown to their next move. This is not part of the grid (countdown) so you can't cancel their move.

I played the expert demo 3 times and my impression remains thumbs down. If the grid system was like MPQ and balanced their attacks, it could fix most of the game.

Now a lot of other match-3 games are essentially terrible: Candy Crush Saga, Farm Heroes, Frozen/Maleficent/Cinderella Free Fall. Their main fault is that they have irregular boards or overwhelming locked tiles that prevent matching and require clearing. So strategy falls apart and frustration sets in. The Puzzle Quest series has had it correct the entire time and usually improving with each iteration.

I really like match-3 games. Besides the Puzzle Quest series, Puzzle Kingdoms was great. There were some on the XBOX 360 that were good. One I recommend is Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes. Excellent match and battle system yet different than Puzzle Quest. Played it both on DS (twice) and 360. You might want to check a map guide because you can miss a cool item near the end on the tower.
    * I have yet to try out Puzzle & Dragons: will do so soon.
  • I've been need fully taking this season off, so lazy pve, dpq, LRS when I've got the minutes to poke seeds.

This has given my nights freedom to get into Destiny, too broke to splurge on the dlc but enjoying the ride, and on the phone making faster progress on candy crush soda (on level 450) and words with friends (80+ game win streak)
  • Malcrof
    Diablo 3 update for Xbox One coming today.. so already being lazy this season, i plan on trying all the new goodies in D3
  • Waiting for Star Wars Battlefront, Diablo 3 always! Add meeeeeeeeeeeee http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/docm ... o/68321727
  • Malcrof
    Trying out Marvel Future Fight, as recommended by a few people, pretty fun, especially the autoplay feature for grinding and getting biometrics.
  • +1 for Future Fight. Maybe a look into that game for some will really help see there is no reason to be stingy with digital content. I have a bunch of characters and upgrades and everything they throw at me for only playing two weeks. Also diamonds which are their version of HP seem to be handed out like candy. I find myself more in Future Fight than MPQ.
  • danae
    danae Posts: 101
    Shadow Era - a great ccg that has the best F2P model that I've seen in that genre.

Now that Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition is out, I will also be playing that when time permits.
  • I play Dota 2 still not too good at it, but spend a ton on that game at least $20 per month 3x for some events. I left MPQ for future fight after i got my hopes dashed by DDQ4. Do they usually have buy one get 1 crystal sales? regardless still way better value then MPQ i splurge to get Lash to get a high level character for more progress, but should of paid better attention the Halloween bosses are immune to energy icon_e_sad.gif
  • rossmon
    rossmon Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Puzzle and Dragons, I still try to log in every day to at least collect the rewards. Rank 3xx or so.
  • I like "Brave Frontier", "Marvel Puzzle Quest" and "Dragon Coins".

Just my 2 cents!!
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Let's see - on my iPad, I am currently playing Fallout Shelter and Gems of War a few minutes every day.
    At home on my gaming PC it is completely consumed by two games: Fallout 4 and Darkest Dungeon.

Darkest Dungeon is something of a wonder, and it was my runner-up game of 2015 (first place for me was Alien: Isolation - although now that I think about it I think Alien: Isolation may have been out in late 2014). It's difficult to describe, but it's sort of a side-scrolling turn-based Lovecraft-inspired rogue-like with perma-death and town building elements. It has some of the best artwork I've ever seen, stupendous narration, and some great writing.

As an example: When accidentally springing a trap, you might hear the narrator say:
    Curious is the trapmaker's art - his efficacy unwitnessed by his own eyes.

It's cheap too - $10 on Steam! I've played nearly 60 hours and I still haven't unlocked everything.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Puce Moose wrote:
    Let's see - on my iPad, I am currently playing Fallout Shelter and Gems of War a few minutes every day.
    At home on my gaming PC it is completely consumed by two games: Fallout 4 and Darkest Dungeon.

Darkest Dungeon is something of a wonder, and it was my runner-up game of 2015 (first place for me was Alien: Isolation - although now that I think about it I think Alien: Isolation may have been out in late 2014). It's difficult to describe, but it's sort of a side-scrolling turn-based Lovecraft-inspired rogue-like with perma-death and town building elements. It has some of the best artwork I've ever seen, stupendous narration, and some great writing.

As an example: When accidentally springing a trap, you might hear the narrator say:
    Curious is the trapmaker's art - his efficacy unwitnessed by his own eyes.

It's cheap too - $10 on Steam! I've played nearly 60 hours and I still haven't unlocked everything.

Alien Isolation was 2014, coming out in that October. It was my favorite game of that year too. I've heard good things about Darkest Dungeon, I'm waiting for the PS4 port they've announced.

This year, my favorite game has been Until Dawn. Really nice surprise for game that had been delayed for so long (it originally seemed like a gimmick game for the PS3 Move controller, but thankfully they kept developing it.) But I'm a sucker for horror games.

As for iOS games I play, I keep downloading ones but never really spending time with them (MPQ is a harsh, demanding mistress). One I did finish was Her Story. Really unique, not quite what you would traditionally call a game but very engaging and memorable. Recommended if it goes on sale on the Apple Store or Steam.
  • Other than MPQ, I've been playing Marvel Future Fight a lot. I'm getting a little burned out on that one but it's fun collecting and upgrading all the heroes in there.

Other than that, I sometimes play Hearthstone, Sky Force, and Rival Kingdom.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Elder Sign: Omens, on Android. Cthulhu is owning my **** at the moment. Also eagerly awaiting Sorcery! 4.