*** Squirrel Girl (Unbeatable) ***

Comments

• spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    raisinbman wrote:
    has she always had a squirrel on her shoulder? is that new?

has to be new.
    No, that isn't new.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    It is on the back of her hand, not her shoulder FYI.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    So, SG at 5/3/5 is amazing. Seriously, hear me out.

I was doing 1,470 damage per AP in the SG event. Do I have your attention now?

Her green at five covers puts out four CD tiles for 11 AP. Each turn those green CD tiles pop one tile each to generate random AP. At the end of the CD the nuke goes off and deals really good damage for each tile.

Here's what SG needs in a partner: Strike tile generation.

When Gamora's bad reputation is in effect, I'm getting about 800 to 1,000 bonus damage on my attacks. Each time the CD tiles gather AP, they do a little bit of damage. That damage is increased by your strike tiles. Then, when the CD tiles reach 0, they each individually deal damage. This means that each CD tile is separately increased by the value of the strike tiles.

Example:

Boosted to 271 my Furry Friends tiles each do 2552 damage when they go off, or 10,208 damage if all four hit (plus a pittance for the 12 tiles popped in AP generation of about 360). But if my Gamora tiles are out there (assume +800 strike tile damage), I'm doing (~920*3) + (3,352*4) = 16,168 damage for a move that costs 11 Green AP. Overkill isn't really a problem, since each hit does damage separately, so you can spread the damage over multiple targets.

That's a whopping 1,470 damage per AP. And the kicker is that I regenerate 12 random AP over the course of the three turns.

Now, obviously this is a move that takes planning and care. You need enough AP to get the strike tiles out and you need the greens to not be grouped in a way that they can be easily destroyed when you launch the nuke. I usually launch my SG protect tiles to end my turn after I do everything else I need to do (using them early becomes an issue because Gamora and SG are both using yellow special tiles and you don't want to fill them up). My protect tiles are 4* 308 when boosted to 271, which is enough to block out all match damage and a good chunk of AoE damage.

Generally I save up my Nuts From Above and Gamora's 5 Red AP move until all of her strike tiles are out, so that each of those attacks are boosted (obviously you can use Hulkbuster's Black and Red if you have them instead of a 3* solution in Gamora, which can also help hide your CD tiles if you use Hulkbuster's Blue to get rid of the other greens on the board).

Essentially, what this power does is it offers seven opportunities to deal damage. So whatever the value of the strike tiles are when you activate the ability is multiplied by seven when calculating the damage that you deal (more if you get cascades on the pops or the drops when the ability resolves).

This makes powerful strike tile generators (and maybe Falcon) interesting choices to pair with Squirrel Girl.
  • Buret0 wrote:
    Gamora's bad reputation
    u lost my attention
  • Buret0
    raisinbman wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:
    Gamora's bad reputation
    u lost my attention

Well if you had kept reading you would have seen that you can swap Gamora for any other character that can produce high level strike tiles, like IMHB or Rocket and Groot.
  • xellessanova
    xellessanova Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Buret0 wrote:

I also have a level 271 Squirrel Girl and I agree that she's awesome boosted.

However, this is assuming that you can keep all 4 tiles intact for 4 rounds and you haven't factored in the cost of Gamora's 11 AP Bad Reputation, so you actually need 22 AP for this combo; you might have also had to build up 9 Yellow and skip a turn while doing this to stay alive. That drops the damage to 735 per AP and puts you at least 12 rounds into the match assuming you only match Yellow, Green, and Black, then add 4 more rounds for Furry Friends to go off. That's 16 rounds too slow.
    Buret0 wrote:
    Her green at five covers puts out four CD tiles for 11 AP. Each turn those green CD tiles pop one tile each to generate random AP. At the end of the CD the nuke goes off and deals really good damage for each tile.

Alternatively, 5 covers in Purple paired with Patch in SG PVP provides numbers like this:

I was using Patch (5/3/5) / Hulk (5/3/5) / Squirrel Girl (4/5/4) to generate 6 strike tiles for me and 6 for the AI for 8 Green (+1044), 9 Purple at level 271 is 3894 base + 868 x n opposing special tiles (max 8). So one cast is 10146 damage assuming 6 enemy tiles for 596 damage per AP; 11882 damage if the enemy has a couple of their own tiles out, for 698 per AP.

Non-boosted numbers at 166 are 2416 base + 539 per enemy Protect, Attack, or Strike tile (up to 8) = 6728 + 1044 = 394 to 457 damage per AP with max Patch.

Unfortunately you can't use Patch when you plan to be using SG's Green, that will take forever and there won't be enough Green on the board for both Strike tiles and CD tiles.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 wrote:

I also have a level 271 Squirrel Girl and I agree that she's awesome boosted.

However, this is assuming that you can keep all 4 tiles intact for 4 rounds and you haven't factored in the cost of Gamora's 11 AP Bad Reputation, so you actually need 22 AP for this combo; you might have also had to build up 9 Yellow and skip a turn while doing this to stay alive. That drops the damage to 735 per AP and puts you at least 12 rounds into the match assuming you only match Yellow, Green, and Black, then add 4 more rounds for Furry Friends to go off. That's 16 rounds too slow.
    Buret0 wrote:

Alternatively, 5 covers in Purple paired with Patch in SG PVP provides numbers like this:

I was using Patch (5/3/5) / Hulk (5/3/5) / Squirrel Girl (4/5/4) to generate 6 strike tiles for me and 6 for the AI for 8 Green (+1044), 9 Purple at level 271 is 3894 base + 868 x n opposing special tiles (max 8). So one cast is 10146 damage assuming 6 enemy tiles for 596 damage per AP; 11882 damage if the enemy has a couple of their own tiles out, for 698 per AP.

Non-boosted numbers at 166 are 2416 base + 539 per enemy Protect, Attack, or Strike tile (up to 8) = 6728 + 1044 = 394 to 457 damage per AP with max Patch.

Unfortunately you can't use Patch when you plan to be using SG's Green, that will take forever and there won't be enough Green on the board for both Strike tiles and CD tiles.

Ah yes, which is why I've been bringing Hood along for the ride. Even if I'm slow, the other team rarely gets off an attack (and only with crazy cascades). The Hood also speeds up my moves when I'm using lots of different colors.

Regrettably, my Patch is very poorly covered (0/2/3), so he isn't an option for me.

3aken, Gamora, Hulkbuster, Rocket and Groot, Blade, 2olverine, Black Panther, and Iron Fist are my only decently covered options for strike tile generation.

Daken's tiles aren't strong enough and I'm missing a cover to get the double tile generation.
    Gamora's the strongest I've got, but it takes a long time to get to 12 Black AP. Her Red also greatly benefits from the strike tiles.
    Hulkbuster is unfortunately only at 0/1/4, so his tiles are weak and he's only useful as a Red feeder.
    Rocket and Groot are undercovered and I'm stuck at a 91 level cap with only 2 blue covers.
    Blade is only level 120 and 5/4/3, so I'm lacking in Thirst covers to make him useful (though he pairs decently with SG).
    Boosted to 150, Wolverine can still only produce strength 70 strike tiles (though a lot of them), and he eats green.
    Black Panther just needs to be fed some ISO. He was capped at 91, but I got a few covers and can take him to 127. He's at 5 yellow covers right now. Only problem is the conflict with the production of four 300+ strength protect tiles.
    Iron Fist is also undercovered and capped at 91, with only a single cover in his green, and he needs green AP.

So my best options are:

1) Spend a bunch of HP to cover Hulkbuster's black;
    2) Spend a bunch of ISO and some HP to fix Blade or Lazy Daken;
    3) Spend a bunch of ISO and HP to cover/level Rocket and Groot; or
    4) Just keep using my level 140 0/5/5 Gamora for my strike tiles.

And Berserker Rage would still work with Furry Friends... you would just need to bring along a green tile producer like KK. I know you would normally use Embiggened Bash with all that green, and I don't feel like doing the math on how many characters need to still be standing for it to be better doing it one way over the other.
  • Dunamis101
    Dunamis101 Posts: 72 Match Maker
    I was thinking Squirrel Girl might go well with Carnage, seeing as how his passive makes strike tiles every time a power is fired.

This should power up her purple significantly and her yellow should negate some damage done by carnages red power and his enemy strike tiles he creates.

I could see a 5/5/3 build being good in this case, too bad I like using her green in 5 over that build.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dunamis101 wrote:
    I was thinking Squirrel Girl might go well with Carnage, seeing as how his passive makes strike tiles every time a power is fired.

This should power up her purple significantly and her yellow should negate some damage done by carnages red power and his enemy strike tiles he creates.

I could see a 5/5/3 build being good in this case, too bad I like using her green in 5 over that build.
    Protect tiles does not lower self damage.
  • Dunamis101
    Dunamis101 Posts: 72 Match Maker
    My bad, Im still learning a bit. Lol
  • 3/5/5 still her best build? I know her purple is (wait for it...) nuts, so have to cover it, right?
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd say so. Her green causes damage over continuous turns so much more valuable than her yellow protect tiles. Even at 3 covers her yellow produces 3 protect tiles at 68 strength or 108 strength if the enemy has 80% or more of health so thats sufficient really.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, yellow really is nothing special. Purple and green are both acceptable, so it makes sense to max them.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Looks like many people doesn't realise the usefulness of her generating AP every turn with her greentile.png and yellowtile.png power becomes good also right before enemy is about to strike. And when there is tons of enemy strike/attack tiles around, purpletile.png becomes priceless. Very very underestimated character imo. She is saving a lot of health packs in a long run and works on her own too.
  • Quebbster
    mckauhu wrote:
    Looks like many people doesn't realise the usefulness of her generating AP every turn with her greentile.png and yellowtile.png power becomes good also right before enemy is about to strike. And when there is tons of enemy strike/attack tiles around, purpletile.png becomes priceless. Very very underestimated character imo. She is saving a lot of health packs in a long run and works on her own too.
    I like Squirrel Girl a lot. The problem with her is really that there are so many other Purple/green characters that are better most of the time. Squirrel Girl can shine under the right circumstances, but very frequently you can do just as well with say Kamala Khan.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Quebbster wrote:
    mckauhu wrote:
    I like Squirrel Girl a lot. The problem with her is really that there are so many other Purple/green characters that are better most of the time. Squirrel Girl can shine under the right circumstances, but very frequently you can do just as well with say Kamala Khan.

Well gotta agree Kamala is in a totally different level. I'm just encouraging people to use more Squirrel girl in those right circumstances since she is not that bad (vs Carnage is probably the best possible circumstance or vs Bullseye/Daken)
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    I finally finished my "ruined picnic" team.

Squirrel Girl, Ant Man, and Wasp.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    mckauhu wrote:

If her yellow didn't end the turn and her green was cheaper, she'd be quite playable. I'm not saying that green is particularly overcosted because it does a lot of things, but the problem is that for 11 AP (or rather, one more, at 12) you can get so many great AoE powers, that it's simply not worth it. It'd be much better if the ability was somewhat weaker but cost 8-9.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    mckauhu wrote:

Purple without any specials is not very good which makes it a niche power (at least it has base damage unlike Daredevil's radar sense)

Yellow ends the turn and makes protect tiles which are pretty weak (ok she's a 3* but they're not strong enough and they all end up on the same color which makes it easy to match them away)

Green is the only skill I'd consider good and even then it's a stretch. Spend 11 AP to get 12 random AP, and the power is on a color thats very contested for AOE damage amongst all tiers, the choice is clear here. The damage is not so good either.

I also hate her stupid artwork and looking at her portrait in battle irrationally angers me for some reason icon_lol.gif
  • Quebbster
    mexus wrote:
    I only read the first page here. Lots of bashing on Squirrel Girl and I imagine the rest of the pages to be just as harsh.
    Things is, she's my latest champ, and I really like her. Am I wrong? Discuss.
    No. End of discussion.
    Purple and green are both good powers. Yellow isn't impressive though. Problem is there's plenty of other good purple/green users in the game...