how in the world do you guys have so many characters?

Options
chamber44
chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
edited January 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
I've been playing for about a month, and I play quite a bit each day. my most effective team so far is Modern Storm, 50, 5/3/5, Iron Man Model 35, 41, 5/5/3, and 2* Thor, 30, 3/2/1. I have ten roster spots, with Classic Storm (28), Moonstone (14), Ares (6), Hulk (15), The Punisher (15), Captain America (8), and I just got Astonishing Wolverine (6).

do you guys purchase roster slots with real, live money? how do you earn good covers?

Comments

• I've been playing since mid-December, and I have 20 characters in my roster at the moment, ranging from 60s (Wolverine) all the way down to about 15 (Single Cover 3*** for example)

I didn't spend money to get anything, but it's important to note that I was on break during December and part of January so I had a large amount of time. That's ultimately what it comes down to. If you don't want to put money into it, you'll need to place time. Whether that's trying to blitz through content fanatically in a short period of consistently playing over a longer period of time, that's up to your schedule.

The general idea is to play through the prologue to pick up as much as you can. Starting from the beginning, you'll want to max out the optional rewards (usually up to 4) from each mission.
    Then there's events (PvE ones). When you start out, it may be hard to clear the content, but there's usually a few easy ones at the start to help you pick up some rewards both after missions and when the event ends.
    Then there's PvP. While placing high is unlikely when your roster is small, you could alternatively try to grind your way up to progression rewards, some of which can be very vital. There's generally recruit cover at very low progression levels so if you can squeak out the 50pts or whatever to grab your token for a roll of the die, you should try.

I'd focus on them in about that order. I don't really know what to specifically recommend as far as roster because there's major changes coming to the previous staples (Wolverine and Thor) so the future is unclear.

In closing, or tl;dr: Keep moving through the prologue, pick up as many rewards as you can and try to get your feet wet in the PvE events and if you think you can, choose your battles wisely in PvP.
  • I have 29 heroes. I did buy some coins to purchase some additional slots.
  • Ronfar
    Ronfar Posts: 150
    Options
    I ended up spending $15 on hero points to buy roster slots. Everything else, I just played a whole lot to get. Progression rewards in PvP events helped a lot.
  • My supply counter shows 46. I never paid and that unlikely changes (especially as the game was set on a wrong vector).

I have all but two characters on roster (Mags and Hood). No wait, also miss *Hawk and *Yelena, but those intentionally. The **s are covered to over 80%, though many not leveled. And most *** are at 1-3 covers, only Hulk and Punisher is cose to ready, though the latter is waiting for ISO. For me tokens work quite badly, so what I have was mostly won directly as progression or prize.
  • I've been playing for what... 5 weeks now? (Huh, feels more like just a half that time...). And yes, I've been feeding some money to the devs during that. I've bought HP with my credit card to get roster slots, Heroic tokens (at the hindsight I really don't recommend it: due time you can get those covers by other means fairly easy), health packs and shields for 70-80$ worth. I don't regret it THAT much but now when the novelty of MPQ has worn off I'm quite a lot more conservative player when it comes to spending real money. No more Visa-HP unless I really need those health packs for some "important" PvP push. I don't want to invest any more money until I see where exactly this game is headed to.

As previously said you really need to have either lots of time or some money to advance quicker. But if you don't count those competitive PvP matches, why hurry? The beginning can be very overwhelming but I'm perfect example of those who should have kept their head cool and just played for a bit longer with low-level chars and slowly leveled my team. Would have been a lot cheaper. But noooo... I HAD to have those Wolverine covers quicker. icon_e_wink.gif
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Been playing about 90 days now and have 31 characters, only missing Invis Woman (and the yet to be released DD). I spent some money on roster slots and the situational shield, but otherwise have gained all the characters from rewards and tokens.

Some suggestions In no particular order:
    - Play through the entire prologue. Re-run any missions to gain tokens, covers and iso special rewards. The prologue includes multiple covers for 2* Wolvie, Thor and CStorm.
    - Take advantage of the Lightning Round tournies. At a minimum strive to win 2 battles in each one. That'll give you a standard token and 300-500 iso. With the "free" 3* villain you should be able to skip around and find at least two winnable battles even with 1* characters.
    - Look at progression rewards in PVP and PVE. Figure out which ones are reachable given your characters and grind them. Usually that means covers and recruit tokens. Especially Heroic or special event tokens that give 2* or better characters.
    - Focus on prioritizing leveling the characters you're actually using, or that will replace characters you're currently using. From your character list that should include Thor, CStorm and Wolverine. Hulk and Punisher are good, but I'm guessing you don't have the covers to level them highly yet.